6-6: "For Immediate Release" 2013.05.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

626 replies to this topic

Higginsii

Higginsii

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

Count me as another who hated Peggy's blue polyester dress. I've worn polyester in exactly that gauge and thickness (choir dress -- ugh), and I will aver that it is not at all conducive to romance. And the hair! Then again, it's all period appropriate.

If the new firm name turns out to be Emerson-related, I will be full of joy. Then again, as we've seen, Peggy doesn't know her Emerson all too well.

Joan's partnership is just a 5 percent stake. She gets a say in how things go, but it's not as weighty as Don's, no matter what she would like. At the moment, she seems to be the only person who fully knows how the company operates internally, both financially and administratively, so she's extremely valuable in that respect, but what will be her share in the new firm, and what will be her role? Joan was certainly the one who had the most to lose by losing the IPO option, because her standing in the firm was dependent on the status quo.

An IPO was one way to double the company's size; the merger is another. But a merger seems far riskier, from the point of view of the less powerful partners and employees.

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

MOD REMINDER

If you're talking about a character in general, rather than their behavior in this episode specifically, you should move the discussion to that character's thread. That way you can continue it from week to week, rather than having to start over in each episode thread.

MissStanwyck

MissStanwyck

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

Okay so the flowers:

Marie offers her flowers to Dr. Rosen, saying she is done with them.  Dr. Rosen flirts with Marie but declines (decides not to give the "already used" flowers to his wife...).

Yet we have Don sleeping with Sylvia, so a case of the reverse, in a way?  On both sides I guess.  Is this some metaphor for adultery?  Giving away what "belongs" to someone else already (and justifying it by saying that that the other person is done with it - or "drifting apart", unsatisfied with it...).

Maybe I am reading too much into this.

Geeni

Geeni

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

Heh, upon rewatch I noticed that even while falling down the stairs, Pete maintains his trademark bitchface.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

Marie offers her flowers to Dr. Rosen, saying she is done with them.  Dr. Rosen flirts with Marie but declines (decides not to give the "already used" flowers to his wife...).

Yet we have Don sleeping with Sylvia, so a case of the reverse, in a way?  On both sides I guess.  Is this some metaphor for adultery?  Giving away what "belongs" to someone else already (and justifying it by saying that that the other person is done with it - or "drifting apart", unsatisfied with it...).

To be honest, I think it was just a nice way to show us Marie's pragmatism/bitchiness early on in the episode. 

If I were being catty, I could comment that Sylvia would probably be fine with it, as she's used to having Megan's seconds.... :)

Edited by Jenn, May 11, 2013 @ 12:09 PM.

Snookums

Snookums

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

Megan and Marie return from shopping, and in the elevator, two young women tell her how much they love her show, even delaying getting off to secure an autograph. Marie looks like she doesn't hate this as much as being called "Grandma," but it's close.

From the recap.

Marie HAAAATED being proved wrong. If I were Megan I would have started pointedly pirouetting around the elevator.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

Heh, upon rewatch I noticed that even while falling down the stairs, Pete maintains his trademark bitchface.

They must have practiced that A LOT.  It looks really natural but I don't think it's just fortuitous or they would have shut off the cameras and seen to the actor.  But I looked at the ubiquitous .gif and it's a pretty good stunt, and slightly dangerous.  I imagine not actually breaking his neck was harder than staying in bitch-face. 

Remember when your mother told you if you keep making that face it's going to stick?  Has no one told VK this?  Just sayin'

From the recap.

Marie HAAAATED being proved wrong. If I were Megan I would have started pointedly pirouetting around the elevator.

Oh how I WISH Megan had done that.  I imagine it all contributed to Marie guzzling out of the bottle as she had to listen to her daughter being wall-banged by her handsome husband. 

jezebelly

jezebelly

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

I think Pete told Trudy that because he was a) a lot more wrought up then he thought he was over their separation and blamed her for it and b) after the day he'd had he just could not hear one more word about how great Trudy's dad is and how much he's done for Pete. He may have initially shown up just to tell her about Vicks and ask her to intervene--continuing their pattern--but he was so stressed and furious that when she pulled the "Daddy's So Great" card again he just hit the button out of sheer frustration. He's sick of this pattern, he's sick of seeing a grown woman insist on viewing her father through the eyes of a child, he's sick and tired of the whole damn thing (much like the culture at large is fed up with the status quo.) 

He told her out of petulance and spite, and genuine rage, but also because he suddenly couldn't take it anymore, and the nuclear option is at least sure to leave his life different then it was before this conversation. A smoking pile, yes, but an unignorable smoking pile. No matter what, Trudy can't say, from now on, that she doesn't know this. She'll deny and cover up and divorce him, but things are different now.

I think this is the best assessment of the Pete/Trudy/Tom dynamic I've seen. Pete is a Machiavellian thinker, in that the ends justify the means, and a principled one--he is hellbent on things being "fair." This is why he had no problem accepting Joan as a partner after the encounter with Herb--the ends justified the means, and it's only fair that Joan get her share of SCDP.

Seeing Tom in the brothel was disconcerting, but I think it was because he knew, in that moment, that Tom finally had the leverage he needed to end Pete's marriage. If Tom's attitude had been "boys will be boys," it would have been a non-issue, both business-wise and family-wise. But once Tom pulled the business without even so much as a conversation, Pete was outraged by the inequity. Trudy's feelings were collateral damage.

EDITED because Ted Chaough is not Trudy's father.

Edited by jezebelly, May 11, 2013 @ 7:51 PM.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

i swear I remember once hearing VK say something about how when Pete does something it is always because he thinks it's right. Which probably adds to how priggish he usually seems when he's doing something, but still, yes, I can see the inability to accept the situation Tom was setting up, particularly when he saw how completely Trudy was with Tom on it. So much so that telling the truth became the nuclear option.

I also seem to remember him saying that he wished Pete's schemes would work out just so he could smile more, because it actually was kind of uncomfortable walking around for a whole season with that bitchface. The few times Pete does genuinely smile he does look very different--and 30 years younger.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

Megan and Marie return from shopping, and in the elevator, two young women tell her how much they love her show, even delaying getting off to secure an autograph. Marie looks like she doesn't hate this as much as being called "Grandma," but it's close.

From the recap.

I didn't see that scene as Marie hating being wrong, but as her dismissing Megan's success and thinking little of her being a soap opera actress. It was snobbery imo.

MissStanwyck

MissStanwyck

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

To be honest, I think it was just a nice way to show us Marie's pragmatism/bitchiness early on in the episode. 

If I were being catty, I could comment that Sylvia would probably be fine with it, as she's used to having Megan's seconds.... :)

Hahaha, true, though apparently she initially thought Don and Megan weren't sleeping together anymore (again, she needs to retake Adultery 101).  Sometimes I start to over-analyze every detail of this show (down to the flowers!). 

With Don though, it's always someone's seconds/thirds/fourths/fifths/thousandths...

CatRose

CatRose

Just Tuned In

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

Well, Trudy's "genteel" world is collapsing all around her, and I have to admit, it's gratifying to see it!  I've always liked her, but her concern with "appearances" always annoyed me.  Cutting off any interesting discussions about politics and current events, making faces at Ken's story because it had to do with death -- I like to see her shaken-up.  So, we also found out that her parents are under the impression that Pete didn't want kids -- she blamed him instead of admitting her fertility problems...

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 6:05 AM

So, we also found out that her parents are under the impression that Pete didn't want kids -- she blamed him instead of admitting her fertility problems...

Interesting!  I hadn't picked up on that.   Maybe she just told them he wasn't too eager to have children when they were first married and later told them he didn't want to adopt.  I can't imagine Trudy finding out she had fertility problems and not running to her parents to cry about it immediately.  She seems even closer to her mother than to her father.

Marie is such a piece of work.  She had five kids although she doesn't seem to like any of them -- or her grandchildren.  She fights daily with her husband but doesn't want to leave that financial security.  She sleeps with Roger but makes sure conditions are all her way -- no hand holding while he gets high!  She sticks her nose in her daughter's sex life -- so icky.  She resents her daughter's acting success -- who wouldn't be proud?  Finally she ridicules poor pitiful Peaches to her face.

The only other MM character I've disliked  this much is Duck.  Maybe the writers could get Marie and Duck together and they could turn all their grandchildren and dogs out into the street while they gave each other the once around.

PalmettoExpat

PalmettoExpat

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 7:52 AM

I happen to love Marie and her bitchiness. She's the only good thing about Megan being on the show. Also, JO is such a great actress - she kills every scene she's in. Yes, the character is pretty terrible, but I can't help but like her.

Gilzippy

Gilzippy

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 8:36 AM

Am I the only one who is like totally in love with Chaough?

I completely agree.  I find him very attractive.  I am loving having him as a major character in the show.  Love the direction all this is going….

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

Marie's not a nice person at all but the show isn't trying to convince me otherwise so I don't really mind her.

In calling Ted a threat to Don's alpha male status at work, I meant as the top creative force at the agency. The development of Ginsberg having fresher ideas than Don has largely been dropped, for now.  Ted is coming into the merger with much more clout and even though Don will always be the star of MM, I think it will be very interesting to see what happens the first time Don and Ted butt heads about the direction of a campaign, the agency, the advertising, etc. Typically in the past that was a battle Don ended up winning in the long run, but with Ted in the mix now, perhaps that's not such a certainty.

So, we also found out that her parents are under the impression that Pete didn't want kids -- she blamed him instead of admitting her fertility problems...

But there were times in the marriage when Pete didn't want kids, including the time he put his foot down about adoption after it wasn't happening naturally for them (which itself didn't seem to disappoint him all that much). Tom pulled Clearasil from SC in S2 after Pete refused to consider adoption. The implication was clear that Trudy had complained to Daddy about Pete nixing adoption and single-handedly (it seemed at the time) ruining her dreams of motherhood, and Tom was exacting revenge for Pete not going along with what his little princess wanted.

Bawoman

Bawoman

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

She sleeps with Roger but makes sure conditions are all her way -- no hand holding while he gets high!

I can't understand why this would be a bad thing, especially knowing the men on this show.

She resents her daughter's acting success

This is true, but at least she tells her that to her face (something about it "not being easy" to stand next to a person who's being asked for an autograph).

I have a high tolerance for bitchy characters because, in alot of cases, they tell truths other characters don't, even if it is for the wrong reasons. God knows, I adored Joan in the first couple of seasons, and she was a massive bitch, especially to Peggy.

Edited by Bawoman, May 12, 2013 @ 9:33 AM.

Sister Magpie

Sister Magpie

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

But there were times in the marriage when Pete didn't want kids, including the time he put his foot down about adoption after it wasn't happening naturally for them (which itself didn't seem to disappoint him all that much). Tom pulled Clearasil from SC in S2 after Pete refused to consider adoption. The implication was clear that Trudy had complained to Daddy about Pete nixing adoption and single-handedly (it seemed at the time) ruining her dreams of motherhood, and Tom was exacting revenge for Pete not going along with what his little princess wanted.

That's what I thought he was referring to. Of course he not only didn't forget that he was holding it against him. Funny to think how at the time that whole question became a fight between the two families with Tom punishing Pete for not being ready to adopt and Pete's own family pressuring him to do no such thing. 

So this ep really does bring up that whole "here I am again" idea. Instead of Tom talking to Pete like an adult about what's going on in his marriage Pete's once again the un-favored child being punished and scolded for misbehavior. It was kind of perfect that Pete used the line "we're adults" talking to Tom, meaning that they were both men doing the same thing and in the same situation, but Tom firmly corrected him that Pete was not an adult and Trudy pretty much wanted it that way as well. Which I think was a regression.

I agree with Dejana about Marie--she's terribly bitchy but the show isn't trying to convince me otherwise so I don't mind her. Especially since she gets realistic responses for it. She's not really presented as somebody you'd want to be. 

Haldebrandt

Haldebrandt

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:24 PM

Fantastic episode.

I feel so bad for Peggy.  Having to work under my former bosses again is one of my worst nightmares.

I hope for her sake she finds a way to hightail out of there.  Despite his graciousness toward her last week and in their previous encounters after she left SCDP, Don's vindictiveness has long been established on the show -- since season 1.  He will make her pay for her "betrayal".  He was already a difficult boss, he is about to become impossible.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 1:05 PM

This is true, but at least she tells her that to her face (something about it "not being easy" to stand next to a person who's being asked for an autograph).

I took that as Marie talking about Don. Maybe I'm looking at this in too narrow a way, but I see Marie as being dismissive of Megan's career. If Megan had become a theatrical actor doing Shakespeare and Chekhov, then Marie would be proud of her. Marie is a snob.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

Well, Trudy's "genteel" world is collapsing all around her, and I have to admit, it's gratifying to see it!  I've always liked her, but her concern with "appearances" always annoyed me.  Cutting off any interesting discussions about politics and current events, making faces at Ken's story because it had to do with death -- I like to see her shaken-up.  So, we also found out that her parents are under the impression that Pete didn't want kids -- she blamed him instead of admitting her fertility problems...

Trudy's parents knew all about the fertility problems. That's why the father pulled Clearasil the first time. Pete wouldn't consent to adopting. 

As for her gentility, Trudy is a product of her generation. Betty would have been raised the same way. I have relatives who are from that era, albeit not from the upper middle class. You just didn't talk about controversial topics in polite company. It wasn't that they didn't care about the issues; it was just that it was considered impolite to do so. 

I think Trudy is pretty damn realistic frankly. She may not be plugged into the counterculture, but if everyone was it wouldn't be the counterculture.

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

I've always liked Trudy, even though she really is a spoiled, Daddy's girl. In spite of that, I admired her optimism, sunniness and drive. If she and Pete were ever on the same track, they would be a great team.

Oh the other hand, I've always thought Pete was a weasel and still do, however, in this episode I sympathized with him. What he was doing was no worse than what his FIL was doing and he was supposed to take all the negative consquences and still protect the tender sensibilities of the Princess. Then he was supposed to lose the account, suck it up and try to win his way back into the marriage when keeping Tom's secret.

That would be a miserable bargain, just to keep Tom's secret and Trudy's illusion. It's time for Trudy to take a good look at the real world and maybe grow up.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 3:24 PM

No matter how you slice it, Pete was in a brothel. On top of everything else, he came to her and told her about seeing her father in the brothel. Why? Because he was upset about her father pulling business away. He did that to spite the father. Not for any altruistic reason. Trudy is kicking Pete to the curb. 

She's not sticking in her head in the sand  and/or  waiting till she has someone lined up a la Betty. Trudy is done. To me that's brave. But YMMV.

JudyObscure

JudyObscure

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Trudy is kicking Pete to the curb. 

She's not sticking in her head in the sand  and/or  waiting till she has someone lined up a la Betty. Trudy is done. To me that's brave. But YMMV.

I don't usually see kicking someone  to the curb as brave, whether it's Betty, Joan or Trudy.  These women still have their nice homes, their children, alimony,  child support, and in Joan and Trudy's cases, helpful  parents to fall back on.  What I  count as brave are the women who walk away from the comfy life, taking themselves to the curb.  That's  if the marriage has become unbearable. Even braver sometimes, is staying and going through the hard, self denying work of marriage counseling.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

Am I the only one who is like totally in love with Chaough?

I completely agree.  I find him very attractive.  I am loving having him as a major character in the show.  Love the direction all this is going….

Me three. Early on in his character thread, I opined that Kevin Rahm was well cast in being appealing but not too; now that I know he's definitely interested in Peggy "that way" but trying (at least somewhat) to restrain himself and not just using her to compete with Don, I'd like to revise my "not too" adjective to "handsome." His teeth-gnashing frustration at being called "nice" sealed it for me. And I can't wait for Don to see just how much Ted digs Peggy.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

taking this to the 1960s thread... 

Edited by Luciaphile, May 12, 2013 @ 7:49 PM.

SuzN

SuzN

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 11:25 PM

Trudy is done. To me that's brave.

If she can't face the truth about her father, she's not all that brave.