2-20: "Engagement" 2013.05.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

RealityJunkie10

RealityJunkie10

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 4:55 AM

All of NYC is blacked out... until the previews for the next episode.  So the Initiative's big plan doesn't seem to have any consequences

I feel like it could have big consequences, I'm not sure how backup generators work, but if they don't then wouldn't airtowers be without power so airplanes could crash?  Couldn't people be locked in buildings for hours and hours and days and possibly die?  No streetlights so drunk people fall down stairs and die?  The financial markets would be greatly affected if there was no power maybe?  The RHONY couldn't blow dry their hair? 

Or maybe the blackout is hiding the really big plan like breaking someone out of jail, or stealing something really big

Why did the governor's wife go public with his heart condition when she gave Victoria very good reasons why she couldn't?

I had assumed that Victoria had taped the conversation and released it to the press.  When the governers wife said that being governor (sp!) would kill a man Victoria just had that special kind of smile.  The kind of smile that says "really, so then it would make Conrad's life hell if he won? interesting!"

As far as Aiden - I really like Aiden, I think he is just grown and sexy!  Daniel is too much like a kid and Jack isn't strong enough for Emily.

And yes - the sword fight was really silly, unless you're going to do a sword fight Kill Bill or Crouching Tiger style its probably going to come off poorly.

Edited by RealityJunkie10, May 9, 2013 @ 4:56 AM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

Why does he think that Emanda's feelings should be the exact same after having to accept that she would never be with him after the baby and engagement and then Amily's death and she should still want nothing to do with Daniel? It's been a year. Jack is quite thick for never considering that Emanda is doing the same thing he's doing even if he thinks it's for Amily. But maybe he can't believe it that were true she wouldn't have mentioned it by now since he knows the truth.

Jack is too busy brooding and being bitter about almost everything.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

It feels like they threw everything but the kitchen sink at this episode, doesn't it? And I don't understand the purpose of revealing Takeda has some secret agenda of his own only to kill him off! Why on earth would he reveal Aiden's real identity to Daniel? The only purpose it serves is to potentially fuck over both Aiden and Emily. Now Takeda wants that all of a sudden?

Did they really have to bring back the Initiative, the Falcon and the Carrion? Oh god.

Why did the governor's wife go public with his heart condition when she gave Victoria very good reasons why she couldn't?

I think we're meant to think Victoria secretly recorded that conversation and leaked it to the media, since her eyes lit up once the governor's wife said "This job will kill your husband!" The question then becomes - where the hell was Victoria hiding a video camera? In her hair? In her purse? The footage should have looked a little bit more like hidden cam footage rather than an interview with Barbara Walters.

Revenge is proving that a show like Revenge (closed ended, singular goal) cannot be done on network television anymore.

Yes and no. Yes in the sense they don't know how to do it, or have the guts to do it. The Grayson story needed to end at the end of the first season, but the network is too chicken to write off main characters they perceive as popular. That's the whole problem with the second season, they keep coming up with contrivances to keep the Graysons around and now it just looks like Emily is running around in circles. Because she is.

No, in the sense that it would be possible if the network were a bit more daring, and moved away from the Graysons and gave Emily an entirely new agenda each season, and maybe even a new identity. But when a network has a hit show they're loathe to try something that bold, which is why so many shows start slumping like this in the second season.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:14 PM

Why on earth would he reveal Aiden's real identity to Daniel? The only purpose it serves is to potentially fuck over both Aiden and Emily. Now Takeda wants that all of a sudden? 
I think he just wanted Aiden dismissed from the Grayson's world so he couldn't help Emanda with the revenge since he knew Aiden was getting too emotional and losing focus and he wanted to separate him from Emanda so she wouldn't lose focus either.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:44 PM

Did they really have to bring back the Initiative, the Falcon and the Carrion? Oh god.

Unfortunately and the blackout was just as ridiculous as I thought it would be.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

Yes and no. Yes in the sense they don't know how to do it, or have the guts to do it. The Grayson story needed to end at the end of the first season, but the network is too chicken to write off main characters they perceive as popular. That's the whole problem with the second season, they keep coming up with contrivances to keep the Graysons around and now it just looks like Emily is running around in circles. Because she is.

I'm convinced Daniel was supposed to die at the first engagement party and someone got cold feet when they perceived the Daniel/Emanda relationship as popular.  I think the show could have gone in some interesting places had they killed Daniel but no, they continue to run that relationship into the ground.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, May 9, 2013 @ 5:25 PM.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 5:41 PM

I'm not sure how backup generators work, but if they don't then wouldn't airtowers be without power so airplanes could crash?  Couldn't people be locked in buildings for hours and hours and days and possibly die?  No streetlights so drunk people fall down stairs and die?  The financial markets would be greatly affected if there was no power maybe?  The RHONY couldn't blow dry their hair? 

We have a real-life example to compare it with:  Northeast blackout of 2003.It was a disaster and a massive inconvenience, but it wasn't the same level of catastrophe as a hurricane or major winter storm.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 7:46 PM

I'm convinced Daniel was supposed to die at the first engagement party and someone got cold feet when they perceived the Daniel/Emanda relationship as popular.  I think the show could have gone in some interesting places had they killed Daniel but no, they continue to run that relationship into the ground.

It wasn't much of it since she was just playing him and getting close to the Graysons.  Seeing how the Initiative played out, I don't think they had much of a plan at all beyond Emily plots revenge against the Graysons.

GuyAwks

GuyAwks

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 2:36 AM

No, in the sense that it would be possible if the network were a bit more daring, and moved away from the Graysons and gave Emily an entirely new agenda each season, and maybe even a new identity. But when a network has a hit show they're loathe to try something that bold, which is why so many shows start slumping like this in the second season.

I'm going to have to majorly disagree with you here. Revenge as it is is definitely a show with sustainability- it could have lasted for at least 4-5 seasons. This is because Revenge has, in addition to it's serialized arcs, a strong procedural basis. The Graysons were never Emily's immediate targets. That's what the revenge-of-the-weeks were for. She was (and still is) saving the Graysons for last.

All the show needs to do is introduce 5 new accessories to the Graysons each season and have Emily take them down over it's course, like in Season 1. Heck, I have a mental list of at least 10 potential takedown victim ideas for Emily- it's not like the writers are going to run out any time soon (the Grayson Global retreat photo is huge).

Viewers left because the show took risks (The Initiative) and deviated from the formula, not because it didn't. And I actually really like the characters. Revenge wouldn't be Revenge without it's current cast- a new cast and story every season wouldn't have been compelling. There is plenty of plot material for Emily's revenge, it just needs to be mined already.

Edited by GuyAwks, May 10, 2013 @ 2:45 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

Well that was interesting. I think this show is heading into the right direction.

We're clearly going to wrap up and finally get rid of the Initiative plot and Emily seems more concentrated as well.

It's too bad that Aiden blundered in this one though I don't blame him for killing off Takeda. Wasn't too shocked that Takeda had his own agenda as well. Was anyone really?

Daniel's snarky comments about Patrick were amusing. Him being a dick to Aiden less so but he redeemed himself with the Charlotte scenes.

Still not sure of Regina's motives to be honest and I could do without another pregnancy plot as well.

Victoria's scenes with Emily and Jack were fun to watch this episode as were Nolan's with Edith and Conrad winning his election as well I assume.

Blackout was actually a bizarre but cool ending for this episode, 8/10

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:29 AM

I'm going to have to majorly disagree with you here. Revenge as it is is definitely a show with sustainability- it could have lasted for at least 4-5 seasons. This is because Revenge has, in addition to it's serialized arcs, a strong procedural basis. The Graysons were never Emily's immediate targets. That's what the revenge-of-the-weeks were for. She was (and still is) saving the Graysons for last.

All the show needs to do is introduce 5 new accessories to the Graysons each season and have Emily take them down over it's course, like in Season 1. Heck, I have a mental list of at least 10 potential takedown victim ideas for Emily- it's not like the writers are going to run out any time soon (the Grayson Global retreat photo is huge).

Viewers left because the show took risks (The Initiative) and deviated from the formula, not because it didn't. And I actually really like the characters. Revenge wouldn't be Revenge without it's current cast- a new cast and story every season wouldn't have been compelling. There is plenty of plot material for Emily's revenge, it just needs to be mined already.

It failed because 'evil secret organization' plots are usually botched up by most writers including this show.  This season had blatant attempts at stalling Emily's revenge and dumped a whole lot of pointless characters (Ex. her mom) and terrible storylines like the Initiative, Ryan Bros, the Falcon, etc.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

This episode was an outright mess.  Since I'm just finding out about the new writer/show runner, I'll keep watching but things like the "Initiative" "Falcon" "Carion", Charlotte going off with this twit she punched out not too long ago and ditching Declan... the damn pregnancy, the abandoned baby Patrick, Takeda going off the rails, say nothing to the ridiculous Jack Porter storyline.. I could go on.  I can't think of much of any SL that is working for me right now.  

I'm left wondering why I loved this damn show so much back in season 1 and what the hell happened to those stories which seemed so promising?

I lobbied hard for this full forum back when this all started and now I can barely care enough about any of the SL to care.

Edited by callietwo, May 12, 2013 @ 10:51 AM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

This episode was an outright mess.  Since I'm just finding out about the new writer/show runner, I'll keep watching but things like the "Initiative" "Falcon" "Carion", Charlotte going off with this twit she punched out not too long ago and ditching Declan... the damn pregnancy, the abandoned baby Patrick, Takeda going off the rails, say nothing to the ridiculous Jack Porter storyline.. I could go on.  I can't think of much of any SL that is working for me right now.  

I'm left wondering why I loved this damn show so much back in season 1 and what the hell happened to those stories which seemed so promising?

I lobbied hard for this full forum back when this all started and now I can barely care enough about any of the SL to care.

It's a shame a lot happened in a season and it brought the show down, I'm hoping for something promising for the finale and next season.

housekeeper

housekeeper

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

I liked the season finale except for the Boring Daniel crap and not buying that he could overtake Aiden in any fight! ! Daniel has always been the weak link on the show and I was hoping he would be a goner ,,,I liked everything about Jack and Nolan but hated that Declan had to die since his story arc had lots of potential !

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

I liked the season finale except for the Boring Daniel crap and not buying that he could overtake Aiden in any fight! ! Daniel has always been the weak link on the show and I was hoping he would be a goner ,,,I liked everything about Jack and Nolan but hated that Declan had to die since his story arc had lots of potential !

I don't think he did, Aiden probably let him go.  They offscreened it so it's suspicious just like Victoria's and Daniel's fake outs.