11-10: "Twelve Chefs Compete" 2013.05.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

29 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

From Zap2it:

The teams host a quinceanera; a disagreement between chefs brings dinner service to a standstill; Ramsay makes an unexpected decision.

This thread will open at 9:00pm EDT on May 7th.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

"Ramsay makes an unexpected decision"

What? To Be Continued? I'm going to do something I've never, ever, ever done before? What?

I felt sorry for that young lady. Dinner service looked disgusting. 

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Dinner did look like a mess. But, I was just grateful they didn't make the chefs bake and decorate the cake, a la Top Chef. How Amanda wasn't kicked out of every kitchen she ever cooked in is beyond me. But I have no patience for simpering morons. 

CubicleDrone

CubicleDrone

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

I call BS on that party.  The people holding the party knew about the show, so they had some idea what to expect.  It was comical to see the MC and the party planner getting all bent out of shape about the service.  Next time don't have a major party in a venue that is known for having problems with the food and the main chef cursing out the other chefs.

Nedra dodged a bullet tonight.  She called herself trying to make someone else look bad and it backfired.  She helped to screw up the tuna and then wants to put it all on Amanda.  Fortunately for her, Amanda kept screwing up.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

There were just so many bare hands touching the food before it was served, I'd never eat there.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

How long is this season going to be because still so many chefs and it seems like the season is a years long!

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

I never understood why these people would want to have their parties at HK, especially when it's still early and the chefs can't get food out on time. I have to wonder if they were just paid to appear, maybe she had her real party somewhere else and this helped pay for it...

How many TBC episodes have we gotten now? Like 4? This is getting ridiculous. He better freaking eliminate another person (hopefully Nedra) and not do something stupid like just move someone over to the other team or act like he's going to eliminate someone and just give a stupid pep talk. Or please god forbid that stupid and useless "probation" thing again...

I didn't expect Amanda to leave this early but she's been awful the last 2 services. She just seemed to lose it fast. I actually thought she might win this thing.

Can the guys just win a freaking challenge already? I'm kind of tired of seeing the girls always winning.

That party planner was annoying. They should have brought back JP's old nemesis. ;-)

Edited by BogoGog24, May 7, 2013 @ 11:42 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 12:35 AM

I felt sorry for that young lady. Dinner service looked disgusting.

Not me.  She (and her family)  decided to have her quinceanera  on HELLS KITCHEN !  She knew what she was in for.   I imagine if someone has a special celebration on this show, they're expecting screaming and food throwing and the guests hearing "IT"S RAAWWWWWWWW!"   Anything less, they'd be disappointed.

I also assume that they have the "real"  party somewhere else. 

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:22 AM

I never understood why these people would want to have their parties at HK

I'm guessing that it's free & they also get their 15 minutes by appearing on TV. They even get to judge food, so they actually get a lot of TV time in this case. I don't know how they can enjoy their party while listening to Ramsey screaming & cursing out everyone. I also don't understand how these chefs can consider themselves to be good when they apparently can't cook a damn piece of meat to the correct temperature.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:04 AM

My TV program description said, "Later, during the dinner service, a betrayal leads to disaster".  Huh?  That didn't seem to be what happened.

Another "To be Continued"...Yawn.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:31 AM

"Later, during the dinner service, a betrayal leads to disaster"

Maybe it's referring to when Nedra decided to step in and help with the tuna? Neither one wanted to take responsibility for the raw piece, Nedra kept claiming that the one which was cooked correctly was her piece. I might call that sabotage before a betrayal.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:19 AM

OK, wow, Anthony. Yes, apparently your guest of honor is "a young latina who doesn't like spicy food." Startling, isn't it. Practically as if the eating habits of roughly half the continent aren't adequately represented at your local Taco Bell.

Edited by jmhm, May 8, 2013 @ 7:23 AM.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

Maybe it's referring to when Nedra decided to step in and help with the tuna? Neither one wanted to take responsibility for the raw piece, Nedra kept claiming that the one which was cooked correctly was her piece. I might call that sabotage before a betrayal.

I definitely thought Nedra was trying to commit sabotage.  She's a nasty, nasty piece of work.

Can you imagine getting an invitation for any big, formal event and reading that it will be held in Hell's Kitchen?  Does that mean you can give a crappy gift without shame?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

Was it Barrett that called them "Spanish people" and scratched his head as to why they don't like spicy food? What a bunch of tools these guys are. I loved that Mary tried extra hard to give her soft chicken with a creamy lemon sauce, just as she had asked for. I can't remember who cooked the steak, but he seemed to think all the blood was OK.

Can you imagine getting an invitation for any big, formal event and reading that it will be held in Hell's Kitchen?  Does that mean you can give a crappy gift without shame?

Did anyone bring gifts? I agree with hoping that she had a real party somewhere else and this was just so she could be on TV and have something funny to look back on years later.

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 8:47 AM

I know that Brianna is only 15 and therefore Ramsay probably seems like an old coot to her, but man, if I were 15 and he was calling me "my darling", I'd melt all over the floor.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 9:31 AM

Barret's jewel was hispanic people equals hot sauce, right? Anthony, though, pretty much takes the episode by responding to the kid's atypical latinaness with "Where did you grow up?"

Edited by jmhm, May 8, 2013 @ 9:34 AM.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

I found it condescending how they were like "You're 15... what do you know about cooking?" and similar comments about all the judges, how the chefs should just be left to do the cooking. None of it should matter, they're your customers and they're paying you (presumably, maybe not in this case though), so you give them what they ask for. If she says more flavor should be added, then add more flavor. It's not about what YOU want, it's about what THEY want because they're the ones eating it! And just because her mom and godmother aren't professional chefs doesn't mean they don't know anything about cooking.... These chefs are not only arrogant but they seem to be stupid as well.

Edited by BogoGog24, May 8, 2013 @ 10:00 AM.

Raguel

Raguel

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 10:17 AM

I know that Brianna is only 15 and therefore Ramsay probably seems like an old coot to her, but man, if I were 15 and he was calling me "my darling", I'd melt all over the floor.

Oh, Shalamar.  I was thinking the very same thing.

Totale

Totale

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

I agree with hoping that she had a real party somewhere else and this was just so she could be on TV and have something funny to look back on years later.

Not strictly on topic but I seem to recall reading that when Top Chef fucked up the girl's quinceanera on their show she had a real party later.

I agree with the sentiment expressed above that this season seems to be taking forever and a day.  Did they start out with more chefs or something?

Edited by TWoP Nikita, May 9, 2013 @ 3:46 PM.
off-topic preview talk

Shocker

Shocker

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:02 PM

I'm going to do something I've never, ever, ever done before? What?

I think Ramsay was referring to the quinceañera.  He said a few times that they had never had one in HK before.

Edited by Shocker, May 8, 2013 @ 7:02 PM.

Malachi

Malachi

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 7:59 PM

If no else is going to say it, I will...What was up with Amanda's eyebrow??

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

I thought the comments about '15 year olds don't know anything about food' were very condescending. People know what they like to eat, no matter what their age. Your job, master chef, is to cook what they like, the way they like it.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

I said before that if they ever do another TBC again I would stop watching and I am sticking to that. This is ridiculous. I miss old Hell's Kitchen. 

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

Mod Reminder: Speculating about what's going to happen in the next episode, and discussing previews in general, is something that belong in the Speculation thread. It's off-topic in the episode thread because it's not about the current episode. I've deleted several posts that were only about that.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

I cannot stand to listen to Mary and her baby voice any more. Really.

The one dude who served medium or rare steak after they specifically asked for it medium well was just asking for it.

Ok I'm an ass and not a skinny bitch by any means, but how did some of those women get on/in those rides? NO really, I want to know if they could ride them. It's a real question.

At first, I don't know why I thought party planner lady WAS grandma.

I cracked up at the, "We love lemon-y" and "Hope it's all lemon-y" and "It'll be so great if it's really lemon-y"

Then, "How do you like it?"

"....Um.... it's too lemon-y"

I'm tired of Nedra calling Ray, "Grandpa" even if he is a colossal douche.

Maybe I wasn't watching close enough, but was Nedra fucking up the tuna? It seemed like every time she moved in "to help" it was either effed up or something got dropped etc.

This is really sad if that was that girl's real celebration with Ramsay screaming and swearing. He could have made it less horrible, but he chose not to.

dconner

dconner

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

As others have suggested, the girl and her family would've pretty much had to KNOW the party would involve Gordon Ramsay screaming obscenities (and the way the room's set up, it seems like his voice would probably even carry to the back of the restaurant!)  I figure they'd probably have been disappointed if that didn't happen.

Does Nedra have any redeeming qualities whatsoever?  She's annoying, seems like an all-around horrible person, and as far as I can remember, hasn't demonstrated any particularly outstanding cooking talent.

DropTheSoap

DropTheSoap

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

I thought Nedra cooked a little early on. 

Not sure I've seen skills from her for a while. Then again, I'm not sure how much cooking we see from any of them lately.

OlfinBedwere

OlfinBedwere

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

Nedra's been hit-and-miss; she does reasonably well in the challenges, and during service she seems to do decently one week and horribly the next. Regardless of that however, she's probably a lock to make it to the black team (and maybe even the "running the pass" service) just because she seems to be the only remaining chef who likes to cause drama.

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

Ok I'm an ass and not a skinny bitch by any means, but how did some of those women get on/in those rides? NO really, I want to know if they could ride them. It's a real question.

I wondered about that too.  Poor Cyndi was spilling out all over the place.  I thought for sure it would be like in the past where that one guy couldn't ride in the helicopter.

I thought the comments about '15 year olds don't know anything about food' were very condescending. People know what they like to eat, no matter what their age. Your job, master chef, is to cook what they like, the way they like it.

I especially hated when Chef Owie I Hurt My Foot said (paraphrasing) Brianna didn't know what chicken should taste like.  Wuh?  That was probably the dumbest thing I've heard on this show.  It's not like he made some fancy French dish she might not have recognized.

ReiMehari

ReiMehari

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2013 @ 2:10 AM

I found it condescending how they were like "You're 15... what do you know about cooking?" and similar comments about all the judges, how the chefs should just be left to do the cooking. None of it should matter, they're your customers and they're paying you (presumably, maybe not in this case though), so you give them what they ask for. If she says more flavor should be added, then add more flavor. It's not about what YOU want, it's about what THEY want because they're the ones eating it! And just because her mom and godmother aren't professional chefs doesn't mean they don't know anything about cooking.... These chefs are not only arrogant but they seem to be stupid as well.

The chefs make these comments every damn season. And it never ceases to be stupid.