22-11: "The Beacon Of Hope" 2013.05.05

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

163 replies to this topic

wheeler

wheeler

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 12:54 AM

I can't explain why but the word chartreuse just sounds like a red color to me.

Chartreuse probably "sounds red" because it's similar to chardonnay, a red wine that many are familiar with.

I know what color it is for what is probably the exact opposite of a "wine answer:" chartreuse is a popular color of artificial worms used by bass fishermen! (And I'm a little surprised that Bates and Anthony weren't familiar with it for that same reason, though I have no real reason to expect that they have done some fishing in their lives. Then again, maybe they don't do much bass fishing where they grew up.)

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 1:05 AM

Chartreuse probably "sounds red" because it's similar to chardonnay, a red wine that many are familiar with.

Chardonnay is a white wine, perhaps you mean Cabernet?

I was at a bar tonight and laughed because one of the cocktails specified it was made with "green chartreuse."

melissa1925

melissa1925

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 8:05 AM

The baseball challenge should have been a hockey challenge for my hockey studs just so that I could see them play.

Congrats Bates & Anthony!!!!!

fugop

fugop

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

I was not at all suprised that Bates and Anthony won and they seemed to have the lead most of the episode.

Maybe because I was rooting for B&A, I didn't have that perception while watching at all! In fact, they didn't manage to pull back into the lead until after the Tidal Basin task. Up until then, Max and Katie seemed nearly unstoppable. They rocked the first hour, passing the hockey boys during the Titanic task and beating them to the mat for first. And they did start in front in D.C., as they got to the Tidal Basin first (though not by much). So I was already dreading Max and Katie being our winners, as they've been so strong lately. But I will agree that once the brothers got out of the Basin, they never seemed to slow down after that. Still, the leg was set up to make it close, had they not been able to (1) figure out the briefcase combination, or (2) get the globes right, which could have evened things out. It's another reason why I liked these guys. They certainly weren't dumb jocks. They studied maps on the planes and kept great notes, so kudos to them for their win.

anyone who comes on the Race without passable swimming skills deserves whatever happens to them.

This. It's the same thing I roll my eyes at on Survivor when people can't swim or seem baffled by fire making. Or on Amazing Race when someone can't drive a standard. You'd think you'd practice the hell out of those skills before signing on for either show!

I get the bog was cold and muddy, but did either of the ladies who were freaking out blow out through the snorkel to clear it? I don't know. I was very confused by both Mona and the country singer. Mona sounded like she cried through the whole thing. And then her panicking about getting off the suit at the end. Very strange.

Someone else mentioned Max and Katie switching roles in the Titanic task, and I did wonder about that as well. Seemed like it would make sense to switch off so the same person wasn't running up and down the stairs every time. It seemed strange that Max and Katie switched, but the other two teams, who clearly were growing exhausted and frustrated, didn't. Wonder if there's an explanation for that somewhere? I'd really like to know what the other teams were thinking - assuming they were allowed to switch, as M&K did.

rippleintime

rippleintime

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

Bates was the only one who figured out the combination of his briefcase and opened it away from his teammate.

Speaking of this, it was making me SO nervous that he stopped to do this on a bridge! It seemed breezy and I kept envisioning his little notepad being taken by the wind and drifting into the water below, or the briefcase itself just going for a dive!

tvdrew

tvdrew

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:21 PM

I will say that in terms of a final leg design, I think this leg took every complaint we collectively had had about taxi luck out the window.

Agreed.  The only place where it might have been a problem is Nationals Park, because cabs aren't likely to be empty there during the offseason.  But it appears that they may have planted some there, given Bates and Anthony found one immediately when they left.

(I have to say it was a bit funny when they showed B&A saying "I hope we're going to the right place" (or something) as they pictured the precise exit one would take going from Hains Point across the Potomac River to the George Washington Parkway headed to Mt. Vernon--as a local I thought 'yes you are').

I was at a bar tonight and laughed because one of the cocktails specified it was made with "green chartreuse."

As distinct from yellow Chartreuse.

Dragon Suplex

Dragon Suplex

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 3:44 PM

Sadly, I first became aware of Chartreuse because that's the color Zorak said he was on the old Space Ghost Coast To Coast show.

jopatura

jopatura

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

But it appears that they may have planted some there, given Bates and Anthony found one immediately when they left.

I thought they used the same guy all day?

MyAimIsTrue

MyAimIsTrue

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:35 AM

But it appears that they may have planted some there, given Bates and Anthony found one immediately when they left.

That's what I thought as well.  And as a former regular visitor to DC (about once a month) I recall the dearth of anything around Nationals Park as the area in general wasn't populated much as recently as three years ago.

CindyBee

CindyBee

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

They did and both Bates & Anthony have thanked Tony in their post-show interviews for being so good.   I guess all the bad taxi luck they had in Bali went away in DC when they randomly choose Tony and it worked out so well for them!

mwolf

mwolf

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

So the singers spent an hour at the bog and think they were two hours behind at one point: Amazing Race's Caroline and Jennifer on the "Awful" Bog and Their "Hockey Heartbreakers." And the flying squirrel that died in Caroline's bra was real:

What's the deal with the flying squirrel that died in your bra, Caroline?
Caroline:
[Laughs] That's a true story. I had one and I'd keep him in between my boobs and carried him around, and people had no idea. It slept most of the time, but it would pop out every now and then, and people would be like, "What is that?!" But then one day he died in between my boobs. It was really sad.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I missed that trend, and all the more thankful for it. 

aradia22

aradia22

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

This was the only season of The Amazing Race that I've ever watched. I only started watching because I follow Joey on youtube. At first it was mainly entertaining because of his recaps but I grew to appreciate the way the show lets you live vicariously through the racers' trips and triumphs. The last episode was a bit boring for me. It was easy to lose interest when I didn't have a team to root for so I have no idea how the people who hated Meghan and Joey got through this season. Everyone else was so uninteresting. I ended up just rooting for not Max and Katie. 

It is both irritating and amusing to see how clever the racers think they are when they solve a puzzle or figure out something that the other teams have not (like the menu in front of the tent). Simmer down, OK? I'm sure things are stressful in the heat of the moment but you're not a genius for figuring out these puzzles.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

I was just in DC and happened to stop in the food court at the Old Post Office, so just for kicks I stopped at the souvenir shop where the Racers had their photo taken with the "president." It's called City Photo, and it's closing. Apparently, Trump bought the building and he's converting it into a luxury hotel. The building could certainly use some rehabbing on the inside, but it's too bad that all of those souvenir shops and little restaurants (since they're mostly independent businesses) are going to have to shut their doors.