4-21: "Wonder-ful" 2013.05.02 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

156 replies to this topic

kalliep

kalliep

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

2) They still want people to root for Klaine, and showing just how much Blaine's actions devastated Kurt is going to make a Klaine reunion really unappealing.

A more effective way to make people root for Klaine again is to start over from scratch after some time has passed.  The proposal along with all the scenes of emo!Blaine only served to make him look immature and desperate.  As for Kurt, he's written as almost a non-entity in this breakup even though he's half of Klaine.

Not developing Kurt/Adam and going all the way with Blam is a mistake imo.  Kurt and Blaine don't have to be tied together for the rest of Glee.  Having other well-written, established, alternative "ships" for each makes for good television once Klaine 2.0 rolls around and makes fans swoon again.

They want Klaine in limbo and dancing around each other.

It doesn't even feel like that.  There's no suspense or uncertainty.  They want these two tying each other down and it's not a matter of will they get back together, it's when.  As a result, all their drama feels like a contrived waste of time.  Same goes for Finchel, but at least Rachel has Funny Girl/theater girl problems going for her and Finn is Harlem Shaking in college.

GracefulOtaku

GracefulOtaku

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:25 AM

2) They still want people to root for Klaine, and showing just how much Blaine's actions devastated Kurt is going to make a Klaine reunion really unappealing.

Oh man, showing me Blaine emo all over the place makes Klaine really unappealing. I'm actually not down with a Klaine endgame. I'd love to see both of them move on. In life, that happens.

This episode had some good, some bad and some ugly.

Good:

Welcome back Mike Chang! Mercedes Jones! Kurt Hummel!

Burt and Carol, excellent as always.

Where has Kitty been hiding that passionate voice?  Marley who?

Burt is cancer-free. Good because I don't want him to die.

Artie's mom - Not gonna lie. When she said 'That is exactly what I want.' I teared up a little.

Tina seems to be the most levelheaded. It's good to have a back up plan. It's not her fault the writers don't understand how veterinary school works.

Bad:

Burt is cancer-free. What kind of plotline resolution was that? I feel like the showrunners just mention things at random and hope for the best.

Mercedes won't lose a shoulder wrap? That seemed a little strange.

Why did Kitty go to Artie's house? What did she do there?

Mercedes spending the episode waxing about how great Marley is.

Ugly:
Marley doing the runs. Just. Awful. She looks so awkward doing them.

Blaine. Everything Blaine. Marriage? Really? You can't have a conversation, or date, or anything like that, and you want to propose marriage? What do you think marriage will be about?

If Blaine wasn't having that little fit of plotline, I think it would have been a decent episode. But because he did, it seriously dampened my enjoyment.

Artie's mom proves that the adults always seem to be more interesting than the kids. Seems kind of wrong somehow.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

Bad:

Burt is cancer-free. What kind of plotline resolution was that? I feel like the showrunners just mention things at random and hope for the best.

I completely and totally agree with this and Glee takes telling not showing to such an extreme that sometimes it is more like just being read a story in between songs. This show would have been a great 1940s radio program. But, out of context, having Burt cancer free under the heading "bad" is hilarious. "Fuck that guy all of his cells should mutate cancerously!"

Edited by Cherith, May 8, 2013 @ 11:37 AM.

dancingonmyown

dancingonmyown

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

A more effective way to make people root for Klaine again is to start over from scratch after some time has passed.  The proposal along with all the scenes of emo!Blaine only served to make him look immature and desperate.  As for Kurt, he's written as almost a non-entity in this breakup even though he's half of Klaine.

Not developing Kurt/Adam and going all the way with Blam is a mistake imo.  Kurt and Blaine don't have to be tied together for the rest of Glee.  Having other well-written, established, alternative "ships" for each makes for good television once Klaine 2.0 rolls around and makes fans swoon again.

Responding to this in the S5 thread.

Edited by dancingonmyown, May 8, 2013 @ 12:00 PM.

GracefulOtaku

GracefulOtaku

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

I completely and totally agree with this and Glee takes telling not showing to such an extreme that sometimes it is more like just being read a story in between songs. This show would have been a great 1940s radio program. But, out of context, having Burt cancer free under the heading "bad" is hilarious. "Fuck that guy all of his cells should mutate cancerously!"

Damn right they should! Haha.

It really feels like the writers are throwing things at the wall to see what sticks and it looks like nothing sticks. Aside from Blaine pining ridiculously, and this catfish nonsense, I'm trying to come up with another plotline that's been really developed this season.

Oh wait, Rachel is super special. How could I forget?

caracasd1914

caracasd1914

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

Artie's SL seemed the most interesting, as a needs person he would have genuine concerns despite his bravado at times. I do like how the show has been consistent in showing through 4 seasons his interest in directing as his passion/focus.

yaminbluth

yaminbluth

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

It seems that the writers have given up on any plot making sense. They probably have a random plot generator application to decide what goes on the next week's show.

[Character] gets accepted to [University] for [Course]

[Character] asks [Character] to marry him/her.

[Character] has issues with [issues teenagers face]

[Character] secretly loves [Character]

This week's musical theme is [Random emotion]

This week, [Character from earlier seasons] magically teleports to McKinley.

You may now generate your own Glee plot

Yes! Are you one of the writers or something?!