Newlyweds: The First Year

• Please log in to reply

509 replies to this topic

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

The baby is beautiful! They shouldn't have saddled him with his father's janky nickname as a first name, though!

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

Blaire is so mature and even-tempered that the letter would have been tactful, diplomatic and gently persuasive.

Probably not but I bet it was entertaining as hell!

iwasaguru

iwasaguru

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

Bravo missed the mark casting this Tina girl. Her act is very transparent and shes not entertaining. If she's trying for her own show, count this viewer out. I watch a lot of shit tv but even I have my limits.

The gay couple will never make it. The older one is insufferable and the other one is ridiculous, and not in a good way. So your family doesnt accept your lifestyle so you go on a tv show where your boyfriend complains about you not f*cking him in the ass enough and you not blowing him on the couch as frequently as he would like. That should def help bring your family around!

Kim just looks dirty to me. Like she needs to shower more and stop worrying so much about her husband's bathing habits.

Macthekat

Macthekat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 1:30 PM

Kim just looks dirty to me. Like she needs to shower more and stop worrying so much about her husband's bathing habits.

I totally agree, and all of her tacky wigs don't help. I find Kim's personal style to be very 80's throwback. While they were in Mexico, she wore clothes like I did back on my honeymoon (not in Mexico though) in 1987, except I'd never be caught dead in her ratty-ass, huge thigh-hole jeans she wore while dancing. Those were usually worn by druggies that only had one pair to their name. Her sandals looked like Payless specials. 

Poor Alaska can't close his mouth due to his buck teeth, even while eating. That's a huge pet peeve of mine, eating with your mouth closed. Ya know, good manners and all. His style is geeky early 90's in my book. Nothing new or stylish with either of these posers - I just see two who are trying way too hard to look and feel like Special Snowflakes that they'll never be. 

Sampson

Sampson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

Apparently Tina's father thinks he is an actor, which would explain his weird behavior on the show.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SeweYZaths8

http://www.youtube.com/user/KanSugandh

Lila78

Lila78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

I finally caught WWHL with the couples.

Tina & Tarz- completely full of it. First, I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt; her face did look puffy. However, I call bullshit on her pregnancy- the way she moved around, bounced up & down after just two weeks? Uh, no. I didn't have a c-section & I couldn't have been hopping around. More importantly- that baby was 6 weeks early & they had a shoot with US weekly & they're hanging out in NY at the clubhouse? What?? 6 weeks early means baby would be monitored at the hospital. Even if he was home already- he's tiny, new & has to gain weight. As new parents, how are they not with him? How is she drinking & acting all giggly? I don't know, her (their) behavior is all sorts of sketchy.

She was also hamming it up big time & really took over that show like it was her own (or, tried to). Loud & obnoxious. Ugh, can't stand her.

Sad about Jeff's family, that was terrible. Blair needs to grow up.

Kathryn & John- they'll be fine. I was sad, though, when Kathryn said that she felt John was cheated out of a newlywed year because she was fat/pregnant. She's making too many excuses for him.

Kim/Alaska- I actually like her less than I like him. She annoys, big time. Don't like her style either. She tries too hard.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

Was surprised I didn't see this mentioned yet but on the after show Kim made a comment about them having a lot of shower sex while they were dating...guess that answers the question on if they didn't have sex before they were married

It would also explain why she was so hung up on Alaska's insistent bathroom door locking.  If they were getting down like that prenuptials, why the 180?  I know I would certainly question it.

I've not seen WWHL, so won't speculate on Tina's pregnancy.  But like Lila78, I do find it strange that their baby was that premature, yet Tina is on WWHL being...Tina.  And that they secured a deal with US Weekly or whomever.  Did they mention if the baby was in good health?  It's all very weird to me, but this show started losing credibility for me a couple of episodes in, especially once I realized how many of these people were connected to the entertainment industry.  

raiderred

raiderred

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

It's all very weird to me, but this show started losing credibility for me a couple of episodes in, especially once I realized how many of these people were connected to the entertainment industry.  

I totally agree with you on this.  I realize more and more that "reality tv" is fake as hell. When I saw that Youtube video of Tina's dad from back in 2009 I realized that they punk'd us all.

athousandclowns

athousandclowns

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

wrong forum sorry

Edited by athousandclowns, Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:05 PM.

Recollected

Recollected

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 30, 2013 @ 10:37 PM

Tina's father posted a video on this account regarding his "acting reel", with one of them being Newlyweds so, there goes all the realness out the door.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rI1e8CdVCtU

citychic

citychic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:35 AM

Tina's father posted a video on this account regarding his "acting reel", with one of them being Newlyweds so, there goes all the realness out the door.

https://www.youtube....h?v=rI1e8CdVCtU

Ahh geez! I feel so used. Why do I keep falling for this shit?

KatieMK

KatieMK

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

I was sad, though, when Kathryn said that she felt John was cheated out of a newlywed year because she was fat/pregnant. She's making too many excuses for him.

OMG, yes. I forgot about that. That made me really sad, too. I think if only one couple stays married forever, it will be them. She's desperate, he wants a wife, and like she said, he's too cheap to get a divorce. 

SunBun

SunBun

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:17 AM

Ahh geez! I feel so used. Why do I keep falling for this shit?

Me too!!! Damn, is he even her father period, or just some actor friend they hired to appear on this show to beef up their story?!

That certainly would explain the weirdly random/sudden girlfriend/fiancé switch and the inexplicable lack of mentioning this switch by all four parties involved.
Talk about a total WTF moment. One week he's shown all over one woman and wants to marry/have kids with her, and then the next he's getting married to another woman with NO mention of what happened with that other woman to the audience??

That probably explains Tina's whole stupid explanation on WWHL, "oh, uh, we never know when he's in town because he's gone ALL the time, but he's totally bonded with the baby, yep! Maybe he'll even live in the house beside us!!"((as she un-subtly hints to Andy about what a fabulous spin-off this could be))

Are she and Tarz even really married and/or an actual couple, I'm left to wonder?
Because I sure as Hell am even doubting she ever had that baby now---given the weirdly hasty timing, her super-ability to snap back into super-shape at age 35 just two weeks after this supposed birth, and the fact that she's obviously a pop-star-wannabe who was "on" for the entire show, I'm guessing that child is either adopted or via a surrogate if she even had it at all.

We shouldn't be surprised though.
I read where reality show folks((even the ones on crappy new shows like these)) hire or enlist certain people to pose as their onscreen BFF's all the time. First time I've ever seen a family member potentially hired though. How gross.

And how stupid of that actor putting this latest appearance on his "acting reel" so soon after the series ended; I'd be pissed if I were Andy, but given his obvious annoyance at them over the US magazine issue, he's likely already washed his hands of those crooks for good.

Edited by SunBun, Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:35 AM.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 8:59 AM

Does anyone know when filming ended?  I read that Tina and Tarz got married in December of 2011 and the other couples got married in the months ranging from October - December of 2011.  If the baby was born 6 weeks early that means she was due July 18th, approximately.  Everything is so fishy.

VengyStuff

VengyStuff

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

Tina is so tiny and over-made-up, but she still looks so .... tranny? ... around the face to me.  She's just trying to use this show to transition her "pop career" to the US.  What a disaster.  Her father is no better.  And that would explain the ridiculousness with Heather - he was acting like he was starring in a bollywood movie during that dinner. Tarz married into a cluster of narcissists - good luck, dude.

That certainly would explain the weirdly random/sudden girlfriend/fiancé switch and the inexplicable lack of mentioning this switch by all four parties involved.
Talk about a total WTF moment. One week he's shown all over one woman and wants to marry/have kids with her, and then the next he's getting married to another woman with NO mention of what happened with that other woman to the audience??

Actually, that was the only part of the trainwreck that made it feel authentic to me.  I married into the culture and the number of men who come to the US, date US women and talk marriage with them (while still exploring other options) knowing they aren't serious, and then call home, have 2 weeks of phone calls with a woman from their hometown, set up an arranged marriage, marry them, bring them here, and then badmouth American women to their daughters as "loose" and "emotionally damaged" and "unloved" is ... well, a solid 80% of the community here.  And that's probably generous.  When a guy says he's getting married, everyone and their wife lines up with a list of single women back home, even if the American fiance is sitting right next to him with a ring on her finger. It's a different, very male-centric culture and there is a strong streak of disregard for US women based on moral grounds that, in harsh light of day, often doesn't hold up by comparison.  My 2 cents.

So of all the Tina over-the-top drama that just seemed like they were trying to act out a bollywood for an audience that doesn't get it and isn't all that interested - that part actually rang true and made me think this might be a reality show after all.  And then Tina threw the glass and no one called the police and ... nah.

The whole timing seems off for me with Tina. I don't know if it's just the bravo timeline or what, but if they suffered their first miscarriage at the end of the season, I'm assuming it was 9 months or so ago. So in that 9 months they had another miscarriage and then a pregnancy and birth. I've been through miscarriages before, and they usually want you to wait a month or so to go through another cycle before you start trying again. Nine or 10 months just seems like everything happened a little too quickly.

Yup.  That's going to be quite the hormone ride.  Maybe that explains some of her tantrums ... although she's always like that.

Also, all that drama about a 5-6 week pregnancy and then miscarriage?  Unless you're in IVF or have been trying forever, it's a bit much to lump yourself in with the second trimester miscarriages or those who have lost a child post-birth. You've known about the pregnancy for 1-2 weeks at that point.  It's disappointing and quite a downer, but come on.  Tina is the most graceless character I've seen on reality tv in quite some time.

Blair.  Shut up.  Completely ignoring orientation, there are some things that are just not shared.  Have Jeff make you a list.

Speaking of, Jeff's family sounds like they have a LOT of issues.  Who takes a 3-year-old's reaction to anything with that much gravitas?  Ridiculous.  Count me in for the list of older siblings who said hateful things to the new intruder who was stealing mommy and daddy's attention - and now considers them the best thing that ever happened in life. Asinine.

John is pointless  and spoiled and self-absorbed and derogatory toward her and a dead weight and I so feel for Kathryn. Why, why, why would you marry this guy? Agree that they'll probably stay married forever.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

John is pointless  and spoiled and self-absorbed and derogatory toward her and a dead weight and I so feel for Kathryn. Why, why, why would you marry this guy? Agree that they'll probably stay married forever.

I have exactly zero knowledge of Greek-American culture but I got a strong "arranged marriage" vibe from Kathryn and John. I'm thinking maybe family and other members of their community started getting concerned that John was settling in to becoming a "confirmed bachelor". So, they began looking for a nice Greek-American woman in the area for him to marry. Then there's Kathryn feeling her biological clock ticking and fearing that she was sliding toward what might be considered spinsterhood. Somehow the various and sundry parties connected and arrangements were made for Kathryn and John to date/assess each other as potential marriage partners. I have a feeling they were strongly urged to "make it work", with extra emphasis on John.

If it actually was an arranged situation, that could be some of the source of the nasty SIL's resentment toward Kathryn. It's possible she regards Kathryn as someone who was foisted upon John and views Kathryn as an interloper who's beneath him and their family. Meanwhile, although she had to make some major sacrifices, Kathryn got a husband in healthy financial shape, a nice home, a baby, and her own business to run. She's had to put up with a lot of John's set-in-his-ways nonsense but she's a tough one and can deal with it for the sake of building a family life.

McButterpants

McButterpants

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

This is from her instagram in March.

There is no way she was pregnant. She supposedly had the baby on June 4 according to the US weekly article.

Everything about her is a lie.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:22 AM.
We don't allow images to be posted in the thread, so link to them instead, please

jalfredprufrock

jalfredprufrock

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2013 @ 7:23 PM

Wow - you would think Tina would know better than to post that photo? Or maybe she just doesn't care?

Lila78

Lila78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 6:36 AM

Ugh, I knew it! I wonder if she'd use some lame excuse like, that picture was taken last year or something. Can't. Stand. Her.

Is Katherine Greek? I didn't think so, especially after John complimented her on her pronunciation of Greek last names. I wouldn't think he'd do that if they have the same background. I could certainly be wrong.

ninjaeema

ninjaeema

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

Her dad's acting reel sealed it for me. I don't believe that anything about their story is/was real. AFAIC everything they said and did on the show was BS.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:35 AM

Is Katherine Greek? I didn't think so, especially after John complimented her on her pronunciation of Greek last names. I wouldn't think he'd do that if they have the same background.

I'm pretty sure she mentioned in one of the early episodes that they had very similar last names, both of which are Greek. I don't think it would be a surprise that she can't pronounce Greek names if she wasn't raised speaking any Greek. Similarly, plenty of Latino people in the US don't speak Spanish, a lot of first generation Asian-American kids don't speak their grandparent's language, etc.

I don't believe that anything about their story is/was real. AFAIC everything they said and did on the show was BS.

At this point I'm wondering if Tina and Tarz are even married or if he's just somebody she hired to pretend to be her husband. I'm surprised Bravo went along with this level of deception, assuming they knew about it. If they didn't, they need to get better people to do their background checks.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu, Jul 3, 2013 @ 9:39 AM.

dorkchop

dorkchop

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 5, 2013 @ 7:33 PM

lso, all that drama about a 5-6 week pregnancy and then miscarriage?  Unless you're in IVF or have been trying forever, it's a bit much to lump yourself in with the second trimester miscarriages or those who have lost a child post-birth. You've known about the pregnancy for 1-2 weeks at that point.  It's disappointing and quite a downer, but come on.  Tina is the most graceless character I've seen on reality tv in quite some time.

I'm not going to fault her on that one.  Many women (and men) get very attached to their child the moment they learn they are pregnant and they feel just as attached as someone who goes full-term and feel just as great a loss.  I think her reaction was normal, it's difficult to judge how someone is going to feel about something so personal.

Crinkle Cut

Crinkle Cut

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2013 @ 9:14 AM

I have a photo of myself at the beach, in a swim suit, front on, aged 21, 7 months pregnant with second child.... I do not look pregnant! At all! Some people don't put on much weight/have small bellies/bounce back quickly/are skinny again... Not all pregnant women get huge bellies/bloated/don't lose weight straight away. We women are all different!!!

So... Based on my personal experience: I'll be believing Tina was pregnant.

Xerographic

Xerographic

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

Newlyweds has been renewed for a second season, and it will follow four new couples.

'Newlyweds: The First Year' Renewed for Second Season by Bravo

kerrey92

kerrey92

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 5:47 PM

Saw some show on Bravo called People's Couch or something of the such where it looks like the premise is that real people are watching and commenting on popular shows like "Life in the ER" on Discovery and "Scandal" on ABC.  One of the couples participating?  Tarz & TIna!  Interestingly Tarz made some comment about Tina needing to pump (I assume he meant breast milk) for little Tarz.  

So glad Bravo moved on to different couples.  

KatieMK

KatieMK

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

I am glad to hear this is coming back. I am even more relieved to hear Bravo ignored the shameless pleas and hints from Tina & Tarz on social media and is not bringing the first season couples back (or giving Tina & Tarz a spin-off). The 4 couples from first season were interesting but I have no interest in seeing year 2, year 3, etc. 

Lila78

Lila78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 7, 2013 @ 9:53 PM

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the return of another season and another 4 couples. I, too, am happy Tina & Tarz aren't back. Was a bit worried, since Bravo seems to be doing something with Tina & her mommy blog (or, whatever it is) on Twitter.

Hoosier80

Hoosier80

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 8, 2013 @ 12:26 AM

So glad there are going to be four new couples, plus no Tina & Tarz.  It would be interesting to do a follow up on the previous couples, but that is it.  Glad T & T did not get any sort of spin off.  

ceelovejay

ceelovejay

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 2:02 PM

Newlyweds will be back for TWO new seasons!

Since most folks are going to previously.tv, I hope we can get a Newlyweds thread over there!

Edited by ceelovejay, Apr 8, 2014 @ 2:02 PM.

ExplainItAgain

ExplainItAgain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 2:04 PM

I would love it if they just did a quick update on the couples from last year. But, I agree, I am glad they are following new people!