2013 Tony Awards

• Please log in to reply

130 replies to this topic

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

Lin-Manuel Miranda tweeted a photo of his dummy lyrics before they had any winners. I love that version, too! Especially:

These are dummy lyrics I'm a dummy lyricist

Seems like it's 2010 again Oh Man what year is this

We'll provide a recap everything that happened

Then a montag screen cap put it in a rap and

Give it to Neil Patrick Harris cuz the dude is fearless

and he's hosting every other effing show this year and lets

take it to the chorus now i'm breathing heavily

tell from my altitude that I'm with Audra Mc'D!

I hereby withdraw any and all criticisms I had regarding her outfit and demeanor, because damn!  Cicely Tyson's pushing 90, and she's doing six shows a week?  That's insane.

And she managed to give a classy speech without needing a piece of paper. I gave her slack about going long since it took a little longer for her to get to the stage!

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

It sounds like both Kinky Boots and Matilda made unfortunate song choices. Neither of those numbers impressed me that much.

While the overall show and NPH were pretty terrific, this was the first Tony Awards in a long time where I didn't think "wow, I have to try to see that show when I'm in NY". I was pretty meh about all of them based on the excerpts, except maybe Pippin.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

Maybe she didn't need any paper notes when delivering her speech as she could have had her lines written on her origami styled gown.

A very practical choice.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

"On Broadway, we don't need extreme close-ups to prove we're singing live. We sing live eight shows a week. Check it!"

Yeah, well, lose the ubiquitous mikes dangling out of everyone's hairlines and we'll talk. Ethel Merman still mocks all you young whippersnappers from beyond the grave.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 8:20 AM

I always feel like I'm going to have my Broadway fan card revoked when I admit this but I don't get either Merman or Channing.

Gwen Verdon, Judy Holliday, Mary Martin, Barbra, hell yes!

More recently:  Bernadette, Patti, Audra, Judy, Donna, Marin, Rebecca, absolutey!

But Ethel and Carole just don't connect for whatever reason; I really think it has to do with all those Love Boats and Fantasy Islands that they did........

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 2:42 AM

Wow, even the dummy lyrics are great!  LMM and NHP are an amazing team.  I hope they have more collaborations coming.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

Here's a behind the scenes video of Glen Weiss directing the opening number from the control room. It shows how much they deserve the Emmy every year for Variety/Award show.

For those interested, there's great podcast with LMM the morning after the Tonys. They go into detail about how he came up with both numbers. I loved when he said "When Neil calls...you do it. I serve at the pleasure of Neil Patrick Harris, the president of Broadway."  Tony awards stuff starts at 8:00.

Where do the light-speed raps of Freestyle Love Supreme come from? The composer/star of “In the Heights” shares his secrets – and offers a backstage look at writing Tony numbers for Neil Patrick Harris as well as his views on Sondheim, He-Man underwear, and the MCs who belong on the Mount Rushmore of Rap.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:21 AM.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Yeah, well, lose the ubiquitous mikes dangling out of everyone's hairlines and we'll talk. Ethel Merman still mocks all you young whippersnappers from beyond the grave.

I should be embarassed to say this, but I'm pretty sure it was on a Tony Awards a couple of years ago that I looked at a performer in a musical number and said to myself, "Gee, I'm surprised a stage performer wouldn't get such a big pink growth on their cheek removed". Then I realized it was the mike.

Edited by Rickster, Jun 13, 2013 @ 10:50 AM.

The Deej

The Deej

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 6:12 PM

I loved that TV number particularly because Neil is about to host the Emmys as well. I wonder what he'll do for that show.

He should just host everything. I am kicking myself for forgetting to set my DVR.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

BTW, in addition to writing the lyrics for both numbers, Lin-Manuel was the comedic genius mastermind behind the Les Miz joke.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, Jun 14, 2013 @ 10:53 AM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2013 @ 4:13 AM

But Ethel and Carole just don't connect for whatever reason; I really think it has to do with all those Love Boats and Fantasy Islands that they did........

Singing styles have certainly changed. And the sad truth is those old gals probably made more from one primetime tv ep than 6 months on the road.