Holmes Makes It Right

• Please log in to reply

81 replies to this topic

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 6:40 AM

Surprised we've gone this long without making a thread for Mike's third series.

More of the same thing we've got previously, which isn't a bad thing.

We're in the 2nd half of the first season now (or however they're breaking it up) in Canada now.

The show last night was interesting. It was a condo unit for a deaf woman. The repair was pretty straight forward, more a matter of friends and family getting in over their head than the classic problems. A small mold issue that was mostly handled before Mike got there, and otherwise no big problems. (OK the Kitchen Cabinets were utter trash)

The woman got a new bathroom (after going without one for 5 months), a new kitchen, cleaned up wiring and new carpetting and paint in the first floor for about $50k (not counting Mike's crew's labour). Not bad all in all.

I think we got Mike's B-crew for this job due to the simplicity of the job. They worked well, and Damien was watching over them, but they didn't seem as comfortable around the cameras as the other crews are usually. A lot of new faces in general, and people who are still learning. (For example cutting the window header short due to a length miscommunication)

Oh, and Carlito can NOT be allowed anywhere near the paint department again. :P A few houses ago, he painted a room green which the crew didn't catch before the reveal (Mike promised a repaint :) ), and he tried to do it again this time.

As Damien put it. "This is the paint we are not using that was picked out." Mike: "Picked out by who?" "Our crazy Czech (paraphrased may have gotten it wrong). Then later as Damien's describing the colours between the living room and the kitchen. "You have Warm and cool... Warm and Kermit the Frog."

All in all, the crew (camera and work) seemed at a bit of a loss to have a job that didn't have a major hidden disaster. There were a lot more talking heads and fun on the job moments than usual.

Another interesting thing about the ep, was watching Mike work with the deaf homeowner. He was trying to act normally, and treat her normally, but he's not used to working with the deaf. He was constantly looking away while speaking, or splitting his attention between the Home Owner and the interpreter. The Producer seemed to have trouble too, since the wrap up was so silent in general, they didn't have the moment of exuberance that they usually wrap with. The H.O. clearly loved everything Mike did for her, but it was hard to show on camera.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

I'm glad to see a thread, so at least we can read about it in the US.
Supposedly (according to Mike's Facebook page) HGTV still plans to air it, but who knows when.
On youtube, there's about a 12 minute clip from this episode, called Mike Holmes, Deaf Space.
Is Damon on all of these shows now? I'd originally read that he was to have his own show, and MJ was to be a supervisor.
Meanwhile, down here we have a new to us season of Holmes Inspection.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

Bah, the board ate my answer. :(

Anyway, Damon is still around and is basically second in command, and runs the site when Mike's away. Back in HI, I think the plan had been to have Mike show up for the Inspection and the Reveal, and let Damon run the reno, but for HMIR they decided to go back to the old plan.

Another interesting thing with this ep, is they showed Damon questioning some of the design plans and made a big deal about the questioning. They stuck with Mike's original plan, but they did consider it, and Mike did explain why he wanted the kitchen the way he did. (I wish they showed us a better view of that end result)

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

That is interesting, because I remember Shawn would sometimes say "now why are we doing this?" and then Shawn was gone, and Damon took his place.
I always wondered if it was cause and effect.

If I were crew, I think I would rather work for Mike than for Damon, because I don't care for the heavy-handed humor, directed against underlings.

TheOverdog

TheOverdog

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 10:25 AM

Not sure it's TWOP-legal for me to put this here, but the DIY Network seems to have created an American version of Mike Holmes in John DeSilva's show "Rescue My Renovation." If you have DIY and are not getting your Holmes fix, you can try there. It's not quite so outrageous as Holmes is - really harkens back to early Holmes on Holmes episodes.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

Yes, I looked for a thread for Rescue My Renovation, and meant to make one, but figured I'd wait until the next time I watched it.
I agree, it's a lot like Holmes, but there are plenty of desparate people to go around.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 6:04 AM

Haven't watched it yet (HGTV.ca will be airing it up here), but just from the title, it sounds more like Bryan Baulmer's Disaster DIY than Mike's programs. Then again, it could be taken either way. And goodness knows, there are a lot of homes out there that need help. (Many of them caused by home improvement shows I'm sure. :) )

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 8:45 AM

John really seems more like Mike, in that he tackles projects that grow as he works on them.
Do you get Renovation Realities in Canada? Last week there was one, the Threatt project, and homeowner came perilously close to decapitating himself while using a chainsaw.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

I really liked the Deaf Space episode. I liked how Mike thought aboutbwhatvwas needed to keep home owner safe. The strobe light smoke alarm , the alarm ta would shake her bed if the fre alarm went ff in the middle of the night etc. it was so sweet how he wanted o keep her save!

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 6:23 AM

So we follow up the Deaf house with the Wheelchair accessable house. Quite the job there. The Before, with the elevator shaft from basement to second floor (4 levels total since they had a garage stop) looked scary, being all open like that.

Loved how Mike was ready to take the hammer to the original lift's controls when it didn't work at first. :)

I'm glad of all the little things they thought of; like having the front door being a proper front door, just with the handles removed so they can sell it as a normal house with relatively few fixes afterward.

That bathroom looked incredible. I agree with Daemon; I want a shower that big. :) It did look a little industrial, but that's hard to avoid given what they need to do to have it wheelchair accessable.

Two episodes in a row without any major surprises. Lots of work still, but no missing load bearing walls. Either they're getting better at picking the sites, or they got really lucky. And they kept Carlito away from the paint department this ep. :) (The new guy picked a nice purple for the bedroom, especially when they made clear she loves that colour)

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 9:13 AM

I love that wheelchair access able bathroom!

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

For all us US wannabe fans, I just got this reply from a query to HGTV.

Thanks for your interest in HGTV/DIY and in Holmes Makes It Right!

We have been told the show will come to the DIY Network late this summer, and
then will be on HGTV in the next 6-12 months. While there is always a chance
the scheduling can be pushed back, this is the estimate that we have for now.
For more Mike Holmes programming we suggest checking DIY, which is one of our
network because they do run his shows on there as well.

Thanks again for writing to us, and we hope you'll be able to view Holmes Makes
It Right here in the US very soon!

Best regards,

Scripps Networks Interactive Customer Service

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

Nice to hear. 

This week we're back to the old standard. Screwed up renovation, with a fly by night contractor. No real surprises when they dug in, mainly because the big ones were already obvious. Moving the upper door so the load bear was right over the patio door was a big face palm. 

Loved the end credits where they showed Carlito surprised by his mom working on the cleanup/dressing crew. :) 

The final results, I think I'd like. The glass railing between the levels was neat, though I think I'm too paranoid about glass in general to be really comfortable with it. And the upper level looked quiet nice all opened up like that.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Carlito's mother's visit is on youtube.   Mike's Facebook page, or maybe the show's, linked to it, and for some reason we can see those in the US.

(Hope no one from HGTV sees this, or they'll make 'em block it.)

sarahendipity

sarahendipity

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

Those staples right through the roof were jaw-dropping. How do you use 2-inch staples to put up baffles and not realize they will go right through the roof?
I liked the final reveal, though I wonder why moving the stairway wasn't in the design plans. It was really in the way, the living room seemed very small.

Pepper the Cat

Pepper the Cat

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

I love the house with the hidden attic! That attic was so cute! I want one so much. Esp the staircase. Cool!

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

Yeah that hidden attic was neat. Especially with how surprised Mike was when he got up there. 

I was impressed at the changes too; no mold, no major bad surprises ( a lot of nice good ones), and a nice job in the end. 

I'm getting the feeling that handling all those major disaster jobs over the past few years has grown tiring for Mike, so this season especially, they've found more 'interesting' jobs. Jobs with fewer bad surprises, but just curious or different situations. I'm liking it. Not every job needs to be a gut the place and rebuild from the bones. 

I think they let Carlitto picked the paint colour again, but that light lime colouring was nice for the space. Glad they could keep a window in there too; it could make a nice little office space really, assuming it doesn't get TOO hot in the summer. And with windows open at either end, even that probably wouldn't be too bad.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 9:34 AM

From Mike's Facebook page.

The wait is (almost) over US Fans! My new series Holmes Makes It Right will premiere on DIY Network in the USA on August 6th at 8pm. Spread the word! Stay Tuned! www.holmesmakesitright.com

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

I can't be the only one watching this after the US debut on DIY.

This week was the playground castle rebuild, and I don't think I saw MJ there, although Sherry was.

Because the earlier castle burned down, I was looking to see if there was quick and easy egress from the top levels, but didn't see a lot.
(Sorry for the double post, but I want people to see this.)

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2013 @ 10:59 PM

It's got to be hard on Damon having Mike back watching every move.  Damon pretty much was on his own on Holmes Inspection.  There was a temper flare up in the first episode framing a new roof.  Damon's crew measured wrong for a knee wall and Damon got a bit frustrated.

I keep waiting for Damon to get his own HGTV show. He's a lot more qualified than a lot of the so called contractors that HGTV uses as hosts.

I'm looking forward to new episodes.  Especially the ones where they fix up houses.  Playground castles are fine, but that's not what I watch Holmes for.

It would be cool if Mike's crew built a custom treehouse.   Not one for kids to play in either.  A real home that people could live in if they wanted.  There's some really good plans available now.

Edited by aceplace57, Aug 18, 2013 @ 2:56 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

Aceplace, there's a show that features treehouses, that I see listed from time to time.
Don't know the channel, but somewhere between 100-300 on U-verse.

I think the heat was a big problem on both of these shows.
I've heard/read that there was a casting call for a restoration show featuring Damon.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

So glad to have Mike Holmes back working on the jobs. He clearly loves what he's doing and his ever present "righteous indignation" is wonderful!  That lovely older couple with the roof problem and all the stuff the husband "fixed" that could have burned down the house-what an episode!  And Frank the electrician is looking great with all his weight loss!

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I believe that new Canadian eps start up within a week or two if I'm recalling the promos right. Since the US Nets have this series now, I guess we'll have to spoiler bar comments on the new Canuck ones.

The Park was an interesting build in any case. Every season or two they try to do something non-standard, and the park was this season's special project. Among other things too, it showed how hot we can get in Toronto too; they were comparing it with the work on the house down in Louisiana, and using a lot of similar tricks to stay hydrated and cool as much as they could. 

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

I was in Home Depot with my husband yesterday when he was buying a new drill bit. We walked by "Mike Holmes" safety glasses. Normally I wince at TV personality products, but because it's Mike, I thought, well, good for you. If he encourages people to wear safety glasses when appropriate, all the better.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2013 @ 6:17 PM

I finally watched the new one;  I was saving it for the weekend.

I was relieved to see Martin, because I didn't see him in either of the first two. 

He was in good form, calling the plumbing "original," and " creative."

Taeolas, I don't think of this as a show needing spoilers, though if it mattered, the USers should just not read yet.

But I'm looking forward to seeing the shows that we only got snippets of of on youtube last year, like the hidden attic, and the comments will just increase the anticipation.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

It didn't take long for Mike to get back to his anal nitpicking perfectionism. This episode with the 2nd story addition that the contractor abandoned really bugged me.  There was so much legitimate work that needed doing.  Mike is at his best fixing real problems. But then he just gets so ridiculous and sanctimonious sometimes.

They rip out brand new standard grade HVAC ducting because it's not a heavy enough gauge to suit Mike.  This wasn't the crappy substandard flex ducting. This was a standard HVAC duct used in all new residential construction and it's not good enough for Mike Holmes? They replace perfectly acceptable brand new windows because they aren't custom. The whole point of framing a wall is to frame openings for standard sized windows. Using custom windows in new construction doesn't even make sense and just wastes money.

Mike had Frank take down all the brand new pot lights on the 2nd floor because of heat loss into the attic.  Even Frank was rolling his eyes explaining this b.s. This is just so typical of Mike and his ego.  He thinks anything that isn't absolutely perfect isn't good enough for him.  Even something necessary and functional like pot lights. These houses are already spray foamed and super insulated.  A tiny bit of heat loss through the pot lights is normal and completely acceptable.

He does great work and helps a lot of people in trouble. But Mike doubles or even triples the cost by way over engineering and replacing things that are perfectly fine. He put in a 16 ft 400lb steel beam in this house for gosh sake. Who the heck does that in a residential house? I've seen smaller steel beams used in homes before but never anything that huge. That beam Mike used looked like it could hold up a six story office building.

I've seen every episode of Holmes on Homes, and Holmes Inspection. I like seeing craftsmen doing great work. But when Mike's ego gets out of hand it's hard to watch. I can't imagine working for someone like him.

I'm a recovering perfectionist myself. I've spent years learning to focus on getting a job done well and in a reasonable amount of time. I like to do woodworking projects and it's forced me learn to accept that things aren't always perfect. Otherwise I end up never completing a project or I waste two years on it.  Contractors have to learn that lesson too. They can only spend so much time on something because there's a limit on how much labor a customer will pay. A good contractor does quality work but doesn't get anal about it and waste the customer's time and money.

Edited by aceplace57, Aug 28, 2013 @ 12:40 AM.

wyndham

wyndham

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

What a great job Mike and his crew and all the trades people did on that house!  I'm fine with Mike going above and beyond for this family.  They were robbed by their contractor and could never have repaired their home on their own.  You can tell that the trades people love doing extra for families who are so in need of help.  I especially loved the plumbing hook up -that was a work of art! Also like having the various folks explain how they do their jobs-very informative.

I do wonder if the contractors who ripped off the homeowners ever get taken to court.  Has there been any followup in the news about the contractor on this particular job?  At the very least, I wish they would mention the name of the crooked contractor so other folks wouldn't get the same treatment.

Edited by wyndham, Sep 4, 2013 @ 8:20 AM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2013 @ 12:10 AM

That two story edition did come out really nice. They used a higher grade tile in the bathrooms than I usually see. Quite a big job because they finished the basement, worked on the first floor, and finished the 2nd story edition.  No wonder Mike said it cost 350k. That does seem pretty high but I've noticed renovation prices in Canada are quite a bit more than where I live.

Did anyone notice that they've started using a new outdoor landscaper?  They had been using a guy and his wife ever since Holmes on Homes season 3. He did a few Holmes Inspections projects to.  His name was Theo and Mike's web site says the company was Oving Property Maintenance.  I noticed in the beginning that he and his wife just laid sod and planted some shrubs. But in Holmes Inspection he did bigger projects like landscape steps and walkway pavers. Kind of surprised to see him gone.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 4, 2013 @ 12:33 AM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

Finally watched this--I was waiting when I could watch both parts at the same time.

I can see too where the money went, but some of the extra costs make sense, like plumbing lines that were crumbling or blocked.

I see some new faces on the crew, and I don't know who is a new regular yet.

I didn't see Steve Graves, although he did mention Better Contracting.

Glad to Craig Lowe back.  I think he probably goes back as far as anyone, and he even went down to Pasadena on his own dime.

I cracked up when they were taking down the side fence, and saying how bad it was, because it looked just like the one Nicole Curtis put up for the dollar house.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 1:21 AM

I wasn't surprised that the air sample tests showed the urea foam wasn't a problem.  I've read that most of the formaldehyde off gases within the first few weeks.  If people stay out of the house the first week it's considered safe in many countries.  It did bug me that Mike didn't explain the air sample mold spore counts.  I know from a Holmes on Homes episode (dealing with mold) that the air sample tests are very specific and accurate. Instead they went for reality show drama and Mike declares, "I can smell the mold".  Well maybe he could. But the mold spore counts are what effects the homeowner's health, and as a viewer I could have learned something if they had discussed them.

This episode should have been two parts.  There was so much work that we didn't get to see. They showed the rotten framing around the windows but never revealed how they fixed the outside water leaks. I'd imagine Steve Graves spent a lot of time installing new flashing around all those windows.  I wondered too if Mike had Steve inspect the roof.  It seemed like every contractor that couple used did very shoddy work. 

I'm guessing the government took away the couple's basement income apartment?  The tenant had just recently moved out.  It would have been grandfathered in, but Mike gutted the basement and I'd bet it couldn't be replaced.  Same thing with that stairway in the middle of the living room.  Mike said it was a common feature in those old homes on that street. Part of the house's unique heritage and classic character.  But, the silly government makes them rip it out because it's not 3 feet wide.  Then Mike wonders why homeowners don't get permits?  Gee, maybe it's because of the silly b.s. rules they make up concerning 60 year old stairway widths and ceiling heights?  I fully endorse and follow the electrical and plumbing codes, but cosmetic rules retroactively applied to older, classic homes irritate me.  It's important to protect the heritage and beauty of the old homes.  I'm sounding like Nicole Curtis now, but she's right about preserving the old homes.

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 11, 2013 @ 5:24 AM.