8-20: "Pac-Man Fever" 2013.04.24

• Please log in to reply

110 replies to this topic

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 4:42 PM

I think Dean surmised that Charle's mom was kind because of what she told him- she read to her every night and was coming to get her at the sleepover when she was scared and wanted to come home. i don't think it's a stretch to say she was a kind mom from what she told of her.

That conversation with Charlie came AFTER he said all that since at the time he said it, Charlie was missing. Charlie told him all that while they were in her dream much later. And the nurse didn't say more than that she was injured in a car accident when picking up their daughter from a sleepover.

I know, I'm a bit nitpicky and it's not something that really bothered me, it just stuck out in an otherwise excellent episode, which for me, hit all the right buttons. I even liked Dean's developing relationship with Charlie as some sort of little sister and normally, Felicia Day's special brand of "quirkiness" makes me cringe and throw things at the TV.

More on my list of good things: Dean's disgusted face when he sees Sam stumbling out of bed and his equally disgusted face when he turned off bloody "Walking on Sunshine".
Sam's "This is stupid" when Dean makes him prove he can shoot straight.
The reversed "I love you - I know" exchange that normally goes the other way round for Charlie. Normally, she says the "I know" part.

amazinglybored

amazinglybored

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 4:55 PM

I don't mind it if it actually sticks, but they always go back to this with Dean's pain and anger and guilt over his family. In one sense, you almost never can let this stuff go, but still, it becomes limiting if it's constantly brought back up for dramatic purposes. I'm hoping they are bringing some of this up to resolve it once and for all, even if I know that's not likely with this show.

If it stuck I would be fine with it, but it's been 7 seasons of it not sticking. Realistically you can never completely let it go, but I'd argue that there is a distinct possibility of growth in the area. I don't think that SPN has ever shown any growth that stuck. Like most of the show's much used tricks it's just lost any impact for me, they rely on it too much. If Dean isn't afraid for Sam or feeling guilty about something to do with Sam (a topic unto itself) then how is the audience supposed to know they should be? The trials have been so weak that they need an injection of Dean being worried to give some level of danger and urgency. This episode is a microcosm of SPN's issues, IMO.

I think it's important if Dean lets go of some of his fear about Sam, but then, it's also natural to be worried if your brother is seriously ill, so I sort of feel like it's another mixed message (and not wanting Sam to exhaust himself or kill himself also isn't a bad thing). I will probably just try to take this as being about Dean's general fear, as I didn't think he was wrong about any of his fears in this episode. I guess if the idea is letting Sam completely put his own life in his hands, and any negative consequences not being blamed on Dean, that would be a positive step.

Dean being afraid I can get, but letting go of that is a flawed message. It's not some unreasonable fear, even by this show's standards. The issue to me, is that technically it's not just Sam's life in Sam's hands, his life and completion of the trials will have a serious impact on everyone (maybe, the trials are vague...); more people should be worried about his ass. His success or failure isn't just going to effect him, everyone should be telling him to behave and should be worried about him getting killed before finishing (or getting them killed). Fear itself isn't wrong either, it's there for a reason, and I don't think that Dean has shown any irrational fears this season that he needs to get over.

IDK, it's a weird message that doesn't actually make much sense and it's going over a very traveled path. Rut.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

I can't find the exact tweet, but Robbie Thompson said Jensen ad-libbed the line about Sam and the clippers.

Jared also live-tweeted the episode, if anyone wants to read it.

The reversed "I love you - I know" exchange that normally goes the other way round for Charlie. Normally, she says the "I know" part.

I'd forgotten she said that a few times before until I saw it online. I thought the context here worked very well...I'm glad Jensen and Felicia played it as sort of funny, sort of not. They have a great rapport together.

Dean being afraid I can get, but letting go of that is a flawed message. It's not some unreasonable fear, even by this show's standards. The issue to me, is that technically it's not just Sam's life in Sam's hands, his life and completion of the trials will have a serious impact on everyone (maybe, the trials are vague...); more people should be worried about his ass. His success or failure isn't just going to effect him, everyone should be telling him to behave and should be worried about him getting killed before finishing (or getting them killed). Fear itself isn't wrong either, it's there for a reason, and I don't think that Dean has shown any irrational fears this season that he needs to get over.

This is close to how I feel. I don't think they've blamed Dean for these fears, or acted like he's hurting Sam, and maybe this will show how Sam being strong on his own will help Dean too, but sometimes it's a little too murky in the writing.

amazinglybored

amazinglybored

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

That conversation with Charlie came AFTER he said all that since at the time he said it, Charlie was missing. Charlie told him all that while they were in her dream much later. And the nurse didn't say more than that she was injured in a car accident when picking up their daughter from a sleepover.

Writing fail or deleted scene? Research, childhood diary, meeting someone who knew her mother, etc.?

This is close to how I feel. I don't think they've blamed Dean for these fears, or acted like he's hurting Sam, and maybe this will show how Sam being strong on his own will help Dean too, but sometimes it's a little too murky in the writing.

Yeah, murky. TBH, I'd hold off on saying that they haven't blamed Dean until the end of the season or even the beginning of the next. For what it's worth, I've gotten a bit of a Swan Song feeling lately, which was more, "Let Sam do what he wants Because,". I'm just not sure what's deliberate.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 8:29 AM

Writing fail or deleted scene? Research, childhood diary, meeting someone who knew her mother, etc.?

Fail, I guess. It seemed like a filler line to me, especially since there wasn't much reaction on Sam's part and then they just moved along with the conversation.

I totally thought the beginning was a Walking Dead rip-off. But it didn't bother me because this show rips off everything.

I can't find the exact tweet, but Robbie Thompson said Jensen ad-libbed the line about Sam and the clippers.

Of course he did--that was way too clever and organic. Sam/Jared's "shut up" was good too. I love it when the actors inject more brotherly moments then are in the script.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a bit of a Swan Song feeling lately, which was more, "Let Sam do what he wants Because,". I'm just not sure what's deliberate.

Swan Song PTSD? ;)

kara714

kara714

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

I found myself yelling "shut up Charlie" and "shut up Sam" through most of the episode, which greatly diminished my enjoyment of the good parts of the episode which was Dean in uniform and being smart.

theriderone7

theriderone7

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

I wasn't going to watch this episode. The previews turned me off to it. Then I read some posts here and noticed some had the same feeling, but felt different after watching it...so I gave it a try last night.

Shoulda listened to my insticts. Only 1 word adequately describes this episode...lame.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

Jared live-tweeted the episode, if you want a behind-the-scenes look.

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Recap is up now.

I actually liked the episode more after recapping it, which... doesn't usually happen.

This was the first time I actually stopped to look at that cover of the "Carver Edlund" book. I cannot figure out what "Dean" is doing in that picture.

FastenSeatBelts

FastenSeatBelts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Dean is obviously carrying a bag of salt, so the reader gets the chance to admire his biceps. It's the natural thing to do. If you're a Winchester and not busy showing off your pecs, lift something!

Edited by FastenSeatBelts, Apr 29, 2013 @ 5:10 PM.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

lift something!

Heh. All the better to show off the biceps, instead.

One of the things that I always found funny about that book cover is that the boys arent' wearing layers on what appears to be a chilly night, and while it is plausible that that Sam would be shirtless, and his hair grown out to Fabio lengths, Dean would never, ever wear something like that black tank top.

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

Oh, it's a bag of salt! Ha! I thought it was a pillow or a towel. Or a pillow made of towels.

DementedDaisy

DementedDaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 6:35 PM

Sam checks her laptop and sees that she's been making donations to Gertrude Middleton at a local hospital. For some reason, Dean decides to go meet Gertrude and tasks Sam with looking for the Djinn. You'd think it would be the other way around, with the way Dean's been fretting over baby bro lately.

I kind of figured that Dean didn't send Sam because, well, one look at him and they might decide to keep him! (Because he's sick, I mean.)

bethy

bethy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

Also, what in the hell is "Dean" doing on the cover?

Shirtless Fabio and pecs aside, does anyone get a sort of Hardy Boy vibe from the cover or even the book itself?

Bellaloon22

Bellaloon22

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 7:35 PM

Charlie said the Carver Edlund books were online. Do you think we'll ever find out who uploaded them or is this bit of continuity a moot point?

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

I'll guess Becky- though since they never said, they could decide to reveal someone else later. But for now I'll guess Becky since she briefly dated Chuck and would have had access to his unpublished manuscripts... and probably would have stolen them. Becky was lacking in moral fiber.

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 9:46 AM

I'll guess Becky- though since they never said, they could decide to reveal someone else later. But for now I'll guess Becky since she briefly dated Chuck and would have had access to his unpublished manuscripts... and probably would have stolen them. Becky was lacking in moral fiber.

I could see it as a revenge thing on Chuck and Sam, since they both rejected her. But she'd rationalize it as doing Sam a favor, something like "Your heroic story should be told to the masses" kind of nonsense.

She wouldn't know moral fiber if it came in a Metamucil can and someone smacked her upside the head with it. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, actually.

Bellaloon22

Bellaloon22

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

I could see Becky going that route. She did drug a guy...

BTW, would love to see Charlie own Becky in Mortal Kombat! Or Moondoor.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

No, the ultimate would be Charlie besting Becky at a SPN Larping Convention. Charlie not only solving the "case" of the weekend, but also getting congradulatory kisses from Sam and Dean. Yes, I know Charlie doesn't swing that way, but it would be just to rub it in Becky's face.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

while it is plausible that that Sam would be shirtless, and his hair grown out to Fabio lengths

Does this count as continuity? Or at least an accurate prediction of the future?

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

Overall: NOT ANNOYING. If we have to stick in one more MOTW, this was a reasonable showing. Charlie was more entertaining and less manic, nice moments of bonding with Dean.    

Contrivance Level (CL): 2 (Minor) Timing plus her Mom is in Kansas?

What Worked:  Charlie becoming obsessed with Supernatural and finding the books. Charlie/Dean team up. Coroner angle for MOTW. A more realistic plot for Charlie. The lair has a range!  And it has a technology dead zone.  Go lair! Ipad/Hunter’s journal envy. Call back to the Carver Edlund novels (What!? I liked that meta and now Charlie knows the backstory).

What Didn’t Work: Letting anyone into the lair. “What’s up bitches”  That tag line is just so clunky.  While there was less manic pixie geek, they need to move away from the cutesy.  Charlie is much more interesting as a real person.

Best BadAss Moment: None. Really not that kind of a story.

Big Feels Moment: Dean hugging Sam.

Best Line: “Man, I’m telling you, give me five minutes with some clippers.”  Excellent ad-lib.

I wish I knew: How they come up with those fake ID’s in like 5 minutes.

S8 Context: The “triburculosis”(TM someone else) is a realistic plot development but it really limits action.