4-20: "The Originals" 2013.04.25 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

75 replies to this topic

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 7:58 AM

That guy Marcel? Marseille? was crazy hot.

Seriously. He has a beautiful smile and he smiled a lot. Damn this show needs people who smile!

Dumbest exchange of the episode...

Elijah: If Marcel is such a gigantic problem, why not just kill him? Anyone? I'm like 1,000 years old, I will kill him right now without wrinkling this exquisite three-piece suit.

Witch-whose-name-I-could-care-less-about: No, no, no! Absolutely not! For no logical reason at all except that it will end this show before it even gets off the ground. There are (unspecified and contradictory) RULES in the Plec-verse, mister!

Yeah. I mean, I didn’t want them to kill Marseille (see above) but that made zero sense. Just kill him, Elijah and pay no attention to the idiot witches. Witches are by far the dumbest people in this vampire diaries universe.

When Klaus was looking all sad that that witch was killed I was like ‘the fuck’? Since when has Klaus given a shit about other people. And that call to Caroline was idiotic.

It’s too bad because man Elijah was looking FINE in this episode. Why couldn’t the original show have centered on him instead of Klaus?

I also look forward to Uncle Elijah.

Why did Elijah not tell Rebecca she could be an aunt? She would probably love that and Klaus isn’t fit to raise a hamster.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 8:11 AM

My god this was awful. I can't believe they really went there. I hope The Originals gets picked up so those writers will move there and leave TVD alone, so maybe it will turn back into what it was in S1 and 2.

Dimiter

Dimiter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

With the exception of Elijah this was painful. But as long as it gets Klaus out of Mystic Falls I’m OK with it.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

The witches of New Orleans are being controlled by Marcel, so they bring in an Original to fight him. What makes them think they aren’t just replacing one tyrant with another? I guess they’re counting on Klaus’s reputation as an ineffectual villain; he’ll take over from Marcel and spend all of his time painting pictures of clowns for his abomination offspring and leaving emo voice messages for Caroline.

I did like the scene with the bartender when they were watching that guy paint. For once Klaus wasn’t trying to impress, terrorize, or woo someone, and it came across as a normal conversation between two adults.

I laughed once. Klaus: “If you think an alcohol-fueled one-night stand – “ [glance at Hayley] “no offense, love”. Heh.

The "Haley is pregnant with Renesmee 2.0" thing is officially the stupidest storyline of the entire series to date.

On the plus side, since Plec has played the Impossible!Pregnancy card as the premise for this spin-off, it’s less likely to show up on the parent show. I was dreading the inevitable “Elena is knocked up but she doesn’t know which vampire brother is the father” plot twist on TVD, so maybe now that won’t happen.

He wanted to kill Marcel but Sofie said no that they need more time.

I’m pretty sure that’s so the witches can destroy the Moonstone v3.0 (or whatever) that is allowing Marcel to monitor magic.

Funny that the Salvatores didn’t run into any of this “Marcel runs the town and witches can’t use magic” crapola when they visited New Orleans earlier this season. Marcel must have been on vacation.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 9:15 AM

I did like the scene with the bartender when they were watching that guy paint. For once Klaus wasn’t trying to impress, terrorize, or woo someone, and it came across as a normal conversation between two adults.

But it's early. I'm sure that by next season he'll be doing all of the above to said bartender. You know, while painting sad woobie pony pictures and mailing them to Caroline in Mystic Falls. I hated his stupid phone call to Caroline. "Hey, Care Bear. I'm in one of the awesomest places in the world but I'm just thinking about you, boo." Ugh.

Funny that the Salvatores didn’t run into any of this “Marcel runs the town and witches can’t use magic” crapola when they visited New Orleans earlier this season. Marcel must have been on vacation.

I was wondering about that myself but then I remembered that this show makes no fucking sense anymore and the writers just don't care enough to have continuity about something that major in two episodes from the same season. I was going to say maybe the witch that Damon and Stefan saw didn't do any magic but didn't she give one of them a witchy headache? That still counts as magic.

I can't wait to see what kind of Ministry of Magic device Marcel has for monitoring magic in the city. Do the witches get a Howler when they perform any kind of magic? What if they drive outside the city limits and do magic? I don't know why I'm asking these questions because Plec & Co will just continue to pull stuff out of their asses whenever it suits their purpose.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

They even talked to witches while they were there! And vampires. Sheesh, show. It was nice to see NOLA.

Misty77

Misty77

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 10:20 AM

Well I was disappointed as I didn't know we were getting a spin-off episode (out of the loop here, obviously). And bored. Very bored. I kept watching hoping they'd make something interesting of it, but I wasn't feeling it. I actually don't mind the characters of Klaus and Hayley (a hang-over from the actress's time in Secret Circle) but didn't really enjoy where they seem to be taking it. Random Vampire v Witch warfare bores me. And a love-child is very unoriginal.

Taking the time out to do something like this is always a risk especially when a show has been in a spiral like TVD has lately. At this rate I won't be watching either next year.

gazebogrl

gazebogrl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

Ummmm..... Last night's show was interesting. But to tell the truth, I don't know if I want to watch "The Originals". Klaus is a villain that I love to hate on TVD and I find I hate or like Klaus by how he interacts with the other characters on the show. Seeing him head off to his own show......? Well.......!

I find Klaus not really rootable. Interestingly enough what went through my head was, how smart Rebekah was not to go off with the noble but misguided Elijah to New Orleans to deal with her asshole brother Klaus. Right now, Rebekah is the most sensible of all the Originals to me. I don't know why Elijah keeps on coming back to Klaus. Isn't he tired of getting daggered and put in the box by Klaus?

There has got to be something redeemable in Klaus in order to sell me the idea that Klaus can make a good protagonist in his own show. Right now I see practically nothing in Klaus that is good. Well, actually the only thing that I liked is how sweet he is to Caroline. It's nice to see that Klaus hasn't forgotten her when he makes one last phone call as he's made up his mind to stay in New Orleans.

I think I'll give "The Originals" a look for about 3 episodes only because I do like Elijah and Marcel and am curious to see what happens to them. They have to do a better job at make me root for Klaus. I guess we'll see what happens.

Direwolf33

Direwolf33

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

I don't know why Elijah keeps on coming back to Klaus. Isn't he tired of getting daggered and put in the box by Klaus?

I think it`s never been made clear but I believe Elijah spent the least amount daggered of all the original sibs. In fact, I could even believe in Season 2 was the first time it happened. He could have been off on his own when Klaus ran with Rebekah in the 20s. Kol was off on his own during one medieval flashback so it seems to have been a thing they occasionally did. This would give him a different perspective than Rebekah has.

There has got to be something redeemable in Klaus in order to sell me the idea that Klaus can make a good protagonist in his own show. Right now I see practically nothing in Klaus that is good.

I don`t either and I don`t think they went for a redemption route here. Which is somewhat surprising. The former baddie turning good for the spin-off has happened before but here it`s pretty much villain vs. villain. I guess you were supposed to root against Marcel. Which gives Klaus kind of a default protagonist status.

And I have to say while I liked Marcel as a character, I was rooting for Klaus to put him down in that one scene where Marcel tried to put him in his place. Even though, I understand Marcel`s position, he worked to build himself up to be king of the city and along comes Klaus and pouts about that like a five year old.

However, I`m just so tired of a world where freaking original vampires, creatures who are supposed to be mega-powerful, can be killed by newbie vamps in their kitchen. Argh.

It should yield consequences to threaten one just like this and all those Marcel-groupie vamps luckily don`t have the contractual immunity the Mystic Falls gang has. So I greatly enjoyed Elijah throwing down and mentioning he would swat Marcel like a fly if that was what needed to be done and I equally enjoyed Klaus biting that one guy and smugly pointing out to Marcel that he had just broken one of Marcel`s rules and neener neener about that.

Would have loved it even more if he had ripped out a few hearts or ripped off a few limbs and calmly told Marcel "you were saying?"

One thing I hope to get from "The Originals", if it is picked up, is indeed powerful, badass Originals who are living up to their own myth. And noob vamps who don`t know what that myth is to find out. Big time.

Wonder if Marcel even knows about the bloodline thing, that Klaus is taboo for him anyway or poof? Or, since Kol lived in New Orleans, too, way back when, presumably he made offspring then? And they sired vamps, too? Has their been unexplained sudden vampire deaths a few months ago? Something like this should have been mentioned.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:05 PM

Surprisingly, I liked this episode more than I expected to. I found Marcel a lot of fun, and I’m glad he showed a backbone, even though he knows Klaus is much more powerful. There were some really nitpick-worthy moments, but if the series picks up, I may have to tune in just for Marcel and Elijah.

I liked that scene as well, and I hope that Cammie’s character will be a part of the cast if the show gets picked up.

On the Baby Of Doom: given that this was a backdoor pilot, and given that this doesn't strike me as the sort of show that will have a little kid on board, I suspect Haley will end up miscarrying should the show go to series, doubtless causing much angst and hand-wringing among the three Originals.

I thought the pregnancy was an interesting (though somewhat unbelievable) twist, although I agree with tze that there is probably no room for a baby in this series, and that pregnancy is not likely to come to term.

mongrel

mongrel

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

But it's early. I'm sure that by next season he'll be doing all of the above to said bartender.

Ugh, I hope not, but you're probably right. I'd like to think she'll turn out to be an agent of Marcel's or something else moderately interesting. I don't want to see Klaus drawing any more pony pictures or picking out dresses for his latest blond obsession.

I hated his stupid phone call to Caroline.

I found that really funny actually. All I could think was, yeah I'm sure that a holiday with you, your murderous family members, current arch enemy and new babymama is exactly what Caroline is looking for.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

I forgot about this when I did my other post last night, but when they were doing the whole you're-gonna-be-a-daddy thing, & Klaus said that vampires couldn't procreate, the witch said something along the lines of that Klaus was born a werewolf (I already deleted the episode, so I don't have the exact quote) & that's why he was able to be a baby daddy. I don't remember exactly how Klaus got to be a hybrid, but he wasn't born a werewolf was he?

ByTor

ByTor

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

I don't remember exactly how Klaus got to be a hybrid, but he wasn't born a werewolf was he?

I think it was because his bio dad was not Mikael but a werewolf.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

I don't remember exactly how Klaus got to be a hybrid, but he wasn't born a werewolf was he?

I think it was because his bio dad was not Mikael but a werewolf.

Wow, I don't remember that at all, I must have been blocking the originals from the beginning, I can't wait until they're off this show forever.

ardentshine

ardentshine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:06 PM

Oh Leah Pipes, I sure hope your Camille is far less annoying than your Jody on The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It's been years, and I still want to punch Jody in the face. Repeatedly.

As disappointed as I've been with a lot of TVD this season, I'll still watch it because that's the kind of masochistic fan that I am. And if The Originals gets picked up, then I will watch every single episode to support it getting renewed so that Klaus will leave TVD for good.

Izeinwinter

Izeinwinter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

.. It occurs to me that Klaus is being fantastically stupid. Katherine told him the witches were plotting against him. Not "Against your vampire progeny currently running NO". And killing Klaus would solve all the NO witches problems! He goes, his bloodline goes. That means Marcel keels over, and given he has been running the place for the last century? Probably way better than half his gang with him. Uhm. And this is an idea that must have become painfully obvious recently what with the bloodlines dying. The NO witches probably have enough information to figure out what happened.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

The recaplet went up this morning. I hope you enjoy it.

KatWay

KatWay

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:10 PM

I'm cautiously intrigued by The Originals. At least it seems like that show will have some actual vampire settings and action plots instead of the same old triangle crap.
Plus, I like Marcel (he's hot and can sing, that's all I need for now) and it has Elijah and Rebekah who are awesome. Klaus and Hayley: meh. Twilight baby: are you kidding me. New blonde girl: let's see about that.

Now, for the brief Mystic Falls plot: I really can't stand Elena (and I've hated her long before she turned into Robo!Elena) but I am very disturbed by the fact that the boys are now torturing her (and will do so next episode). These guys are pretty much responsible for the crap that is her life, aside from the crap that is due to Klaus and his doppelgänger obsession. Not to mention they are responsible for having Elena turn her humanity off in the first place (I'm not really counting Stefans little "No" because he didn't actually do anything against it). So that plot development bothers me quite a bit.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

Now, for the brief Mystic Falls plot: I really can't stand Elena (and I've hated her long before she turned into Robo!Elena) but I am very disturbed by the fact that the boys are now torturing her (and will do so next episode).

But it's for her own good, that's one of the laws in Mystic Falls, as long as it's for her own good, you may do whatever you wish to Elena Gilbert. The founding families wrote that into the original bylaws of the town, when one of the Bennett witches told them that Elena would some day be born.

good spellar

good spellar

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

While I don't think it's particularly cheery - because when is torture ever cheery? - I do think the boys banding together to get Elena back to herself is the right thing to do. The real Elena with all the humanity oozing out of her pores would be devastated if she continued murdering and randomly biting people. The boys are just trying to bring her back to herself, which I get. Of course, it was their fault in the first place which makes them seem even more controlling. I bet they wish they'd just sat and watched her blub for a few weeks now. And of course since this show (and this season) is all about the gore, bringing Elena back has to be done in the most dramatic/awful way possible.

PithyPeach

PithyPeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Just posted this to the media thread. It's already a go.

CW order "The Originals"

Crucial

Crucial

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 6:04 PM

I must be crazy because I liked this one. Maybe it was Elijah and Marcel that did it. I liked the setting and that Marcel was a 'my way or you die' guy. Elijah's entrance was great and so trademark of him with the heart. I hated....hated the whole special child and hope Hayley and the baby are knocked out soon. The actress is horrible and her whole plot is stupid.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

I liked Marcel, Sophie and Camille. I adore Elijah. I like Joseph Morgan, but his Klaus was too built up to stay this long in Mystic Falls. Based on this backdoor pilot, I expect I'll enjoy him more on The Originals.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 8:47 PM

Cards on the table, I've always hated the idea of the originals. I like stories where vampirism is as old as (or almost) humanity. I want truly ancient vampires that were the first of the race. Not whiny ass proto-Pilgrims! I want some sexy ancient Sumerian vampire to show up and tell stories of the old days. Not some annoying ass Brit with tears constantly trying to fall from his eyes.

I don't understand why any witch still lives in New Orleans. Why not just move? Is New Orleans that awesome? I don't know because I've never been there.

I wasn't that interested in the blonde chick that of course had to make an appearance. Who else was Klaus going to be able to love?

I don't really care about Haley, but her American accent drives me crazy! She sounds strange. I wish they would just let her be Australian! It would be as nonsensical as everything else on this show.

I bet they get rid of Marcel pretty soon. It wouldn't do to have him constantly overshadowing the ever dull Klaus. He clearly had more charisma than poor Klaus will ever have.

lyrabelacqua

lyrabelacqua

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

I spent most of this episode really bored. If Elijah were the star of the show and we only got small doses of Klaus, I would be so much more likely to watch it. His entrance was priceless. But the endless scenes of Emo Klaus throwing tantrums and crying is a bad setup. Making Hayley a regular character is a bad idea, and the Magical Pregnancy is the most tired of tired setups. Marcel could be fun. But I don't know if I'm going to watch. The Originals have been weighing the show down terribly and I will enjoy not seeing them for a while.

And Plec buries an Elena/Salvatore scene with that much possibility at the end of a snoozefest episode about the Originals? That is just mean.

tze

tze

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

I liked this a lot, and I think it has a lot of potential. On TVD, the Originals were basically stuck in a holding pattern because, at the end of the day, the writers were never going to actually make the most powerful vampires on the show . . . act like the most powerful vampires on the show. And when your main characters are obsessed with high school concerns, it's kind of difficult to have the most powerful vampires on earth seem interesting when constantly presenting them in conjunction with those high school concerns.

The only things I have issues with here are 1) Haley and 2) the hybrid baby. You can have a baby, or you can have a "Lost Boys" vibe, but you really can't have both. (I don't consider this a dealbreaker because the Baby of Doom isn't actually present yet, and there are a number of ways for the writers to do away with this plot point in the future.) When it comes to Haley, she doesn't seem to have an actual personality---it's like the writers believed "the actress was on The Secret Circle" meant she didn't actually need a fully-fleshed characterization. She's like a walking MacGuffin---"Sire-Bond Breaker", "Sacrifice-Helper", and now "Baby-Mama"---but when she isn't inserted into a plot simply to move it along, nobody on the show cares about her. She has no actual relationships to the other characters (at best would be Tyler, but that relationship wasn't exactly well-fleshed out, and the thing with Klaus didn't grow organically, it came out of nowhere.) She's just sort of . . . there. But in a way that makes you want somebody else, anybody else, to actually be "there" in her place.

But with Haley, I also don't consider it a dealbreaker, because the writers could easily either give her an actual personality/characterization or just kill her off.

The Originals has a number of things going for it that TVD doesn't have. It's in a city, so there's no need for the writers to think up increasingly absurd Town Events to host the weekly slaughters. It has a built-in set of warring factions, so no need to introduce endless MacGuffins to give the characters something to do, plot-wise. It's centered around the Originals, the most powerful vampires on earth, so the plot doesn't have to endlessly contradict itself and twist itself into a pretzel in order to have the main characters defeat their enemies and come out on top. (I'm sure it will, but my point is that it doesn't intrinsically have to.) And I hate to say it, but TVD's Triangle of Doom touches every single Mystic Falls storyline in some way shape or form, so removing the Originals from that endless back-and-forth gives them a chance to grow and breathe.

LisaJ

LisaJ

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

And now, they've thrown the "vampires can't have kids" thing out the window and there's yet another loophole that Klaus's sperm is magical because he's an Original. So, how will they work this loophole to make sure Rebecca, who desperately wants to have kids so badly she wants to be human, CAN'T have kids but her brother can?

They said in this episode that Klaus can have children because of his werewolf part. Rebekah is not a werewolf. This show has many loopholes but I don't think this is one of them.

I liked Marcel but I have a feeling he's going to be a character I'll end up hating if I continue to watch it. Funny how he made Klaus look like a cute little puppy next to him.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 8:25 AM

I think it helped that Marcel treated Klaus like a yapping annoying purse dog who was nipping at his heels barking for attention!

Afknows

Afknows

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

Just posted this to the media thread. It's already a go.

CW order "The Originals"

smh...the quote from Mark Pedowitz is just a joke. "Well written as ever"? And "The Originals" episode had lower ratings than the week before it, right? I feel like they're ordering this because Pedowitz is hell bent on male narratives.

The Originals episode was awful. Also, all I keep seeing on this thread is "well Marcel was hot so thats nice" or "Elijah in a suit" or "Klaus my baby". Wut?!

Do people realize how pointless any show is if its centered around the Originals? You can't kill Klaus ever. EVER. Do you not see the massive problem there?

Because this backdoor pilot is rushed and contrived. Not only did they encounter a witch using magic on vampires (which sounds like the ultimate #1 rule you can break), they also never encountered Marcel or his gang in any capacity.

Plec made this stupid story up while they were filming the sire bond episode and none of it makes sense. Never mind the implications of Klaus "building" New Orleans.

Holding

Holding

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 10:11 AM

I am definitely watching the show, if only for the obvious 'drink every time Klaus cries' drinking game.