16-12: 2013.04.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

89 replies to this topic

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

The thing I find most interesting about results shows are the behind the scenes stuff, especially when we get some off-camera stuff with the judges. Notice after Sean danced, Len turned to Bruno and asked "What do you want to give him?" It's the first time I've ever seen any footage of the judges discussing what scores they're going to give with each other. And I wouldn't have expected Len to confer with either of the other two about it either, so I found that very interesting.

Sean's continued string of "ha ha I'm gay" jokes sounds less and less like jokes and more and more like the truth squeezing itself out against his will.

Good, I'm not the only one who's thinking it.

Aly in that dress looked like someone's grandmother. What an unflattering outfit. And yes, she has no waist, she is built like a tube.

I agree she seems to look kind of thick in the middle, but I remember thinking the same thing about Shawn Johnson during her first season too. Given that she's just come off a gold-medal winning Olympics, I think it's safe to assume she's in fantastic shape. I just think gymnasts who spend their whole lives training like she has develop a core of solid muscle which is why she appears to have no waist.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

Stevie Wonder is completely blind, isn't he? I wonder how he could be a fan of the show... the musical guests are hit or miss, and the rest is completely visual. No?

It would be interesting to see a blind contestant learn to dance, and you know he'd have a good sense of rhythm. But can he move? He's in his 60s and usually performs seated, right?

sab85

sab85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:02 PM

They weren't even retro, they are some sort of stretchy crotch-hanging things that Bieber wears for some reason. I've never seen anyone else wear them until last night. All I could think of was, ugh. Gross.

Both Mark and Victor wore them this week as well. And Victor's were red. Ugh, do not want.

The thing I find most interesting about results shows are the behind the scenes stuff, especially when we get some off-camera stuff with the judges. Notice after Sean danced, Len turned to Bruno and asked "What do you want to give him?" It's the first time I've ever seen any footage of the judges discussing what scores they're going to give with each other. And I wouldn't have expected Len to confer with either of the other two about it either, so I found that very interesting.

The judges quickly write down their scores right after the dance and hand them off to a PA so they can be put on the screen. I think that was just a case of Len writing down Bruno's score rather than actually conferring (half the time the judges don't seem to even know what score the others gave the couple.)

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

I'm tired of Zendaya.

I liked the opening guy who sang.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:37 PM

I'm really wondering about how this show is portraying Sean. First it's the Tristan bromance, then the t-shirt knotted at the mid-section, then the confession that he plans to sleep with Bruno, the shirt-off dancing, then Brooke calls the partnership "Sean and Peter." Just paint a rainbow on the guy and get it over with.

Ha! I forgot about that knotted-up t-shirt. I really giggled over that. I too would like to know what is going on with this guy. But this:

Just paint a rainbow on the guy and get it over with

should be the title of his thread. Genius!

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

Stevie Wonder is completely blind, isn't he? I wonder how he could be a fan of the show... the musical guests are hit or miss, and the rest is completely visual. No?

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering why he's such a big fan. While the musical guests are hit or miss, the one thing that's consistent is the horrible singing by the DWTS singers. I'm surprised he doesn't change the channel in horror.

Missy Vixen

Missy Vixen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

Sean's continued string of "ha ha I'm gay" jokes sounds less and less like jokes and more and more like the truth squeezing itself out against his will.

I detest Sean. It's hard to imagine how a humorless, dumb-ass himbo was the fantasy object for so many women. Allegedly. His whipping his shirt off at every available opportunity leaves me cold, too. His whole "saving myself for marriage" schtick is nothing more than a feeble attempt to detract from the fact he does not prefer women. ABC has a wedding broadcast to flog, so we'll probably see him up to the finals.

I miss Anna. And Chelsea. And beefcake with brains and a great sense of humor.

I wasn't going to watch this season because they cast Andy Dick. He's won me over. I hope he can stay sober. He's not a dancer, but it's a joy to watch him and Sharna.

I'm thinking this is a job for Tristan. Granted I think every job is a job for Tristan, but he does have ties to Boston as well, so maybe it would be special for them to do a dance together.

I couldn't agree more. I'll be in front of my TV with some Kleenex. I hope she dances again.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

Because having that horrible paso as the encore should show them that Twitter isn't always right.

Yeah, but knowing that Mr. "I Always Win the Team Dance" and his sidekick Spatz, were sitting back stage watching instead of mugging and hamming for the cameras, make me all kinds of happy-happy-happy.

Charlie White was definitely there last night. Meryl was supposed to be as well I think but I didn't see her. I didn't notice Gracie Gold.

Dear Charlie, please be on DWTS after you win the Olympic gold medal next year. Thanks in advance. Dear Show, please lock him for Fall 2014.

Edited by ChicksDigScars, Apr 24, 2013 @ 2:44 PM.

IngoFanFirst

IngoFanFirst

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

I was pretty surprised (pleasantly) that Sean ended up on the bottom 2. First of all, he was tied for 4th points wise, when you count in that horrid group mess (on both sides). We've talked about number of twitter followers and Sean has over a half million. So, he's got a lot of followers that aren't voting, or possibly he bought followers to inflate his number.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 2:56 PM

The judges quickly write down their scores right after the dance and hand them off to a PA so they can be put on the screen. I think that was just a case of Len writing down Bruno's score rather than actually conferring (half the time the judges don't seem to even know what score the others gave the couple.)

No, they were talking. Len said "What do you want to give him?" Bruno replied "7. He was better than Andy." Len said "Not much." Now, maybe they don't always confer on what to score the dancers, but in this instance, Len clearly turned to Bruno and asked him what he thought he should get. That was kind of an eye opener for me. But when you think about it, Bruno and Len have been doing this together for how many years now? Both here and in the UK. So it's not that surprising to think they confer about the scores, it's just nothing I've ever seen before.

t would be interesting to see a blind contestant learn to dance, and you know he'd have a good sense of rhythm. But can he move? He's in his 60s and usually performs seated, right?

I hate to say it, but I'm not especially interested in seeing such an experiment. We've had a deaf contestant (Marlee Matlin) and she could only go so far with an obvious disadvantage - I suspect Wonder's time on the show would be equally brief and he'd be kept around primarily based on fan support rather than dancing.

IngoFanFirst

IngoFanFirst

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing a blind dancer, but would prefer someone who's young and fit. Stevie Wonder would not be entertaining.

I hate to say it, but I'm not especially interested in seeing such an experiment. We've had a deaf contestant (Marlee Matlin) and she could only go so far with an obvious disadvantage - I suspect Wonder's time on the show would be equally brief and he'd be kept around primarily based on fan support rather than dancing.

We've also had to suffer through the amputee. Ex-Mrs. McCartney was someone I thought was just such a disgusting person.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

but in this instance, Len clearly turned to Bruno and asked him what he thought he should get.

Maybe, but it also could be some clever scripting to make us think the producers don't tell them what scores to give after watching the dress rehearsal, camera blocking, figuring in their story-boarding, etc.

Rum Punch

Rum Punch

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:37 PM

I can only hope that DWtS will resist the urge to cast Stevie Wonder. After suffering through the Lazaro debacle on American Idol, I have no desire to watch another person be unjustly advanced based on pity, or inspiration, or however you want to characterize it.

It seemed like a way to honor Derek and Mark's lovely display of cultural appropriation last season more than anything else.

I cannot see the phrase used again, and it has been popping up more and more, without voicing my opinion on what a load of crap I think this notion of "cultural appropriation" is. If some white guy from Utah wants to dance a bhangra, what is the problem? It's not like people from India can no longer dance bhangras, because now it has been "appropriated" by Derek Hough. If some kid in Japan hears American rock 'n' roll and decides to start his own group, how is American culture harmed? It's a compliment, if anything. I seem to remember there were a couple of kids in Liverpool, England who were impressed with American musicians like Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Bill Haley and the Comets, and began to make their own version of that music. I think that worked out pretty well, but the cultural police, I guess, would hold that since they were British, they had no right to "appropriate" American styles, and should have been forced to stick to madrigals.

And what is Jacoby Jones doing dancing Samba and Foxtrot? Ballroom is not an inherent part of African-American culture. Should we kick him off the show? No more black contestants appropriating white culture, right? In my opinion, once cultures are exposed to one another they interweave, and become inextricably part of each other. It's instantaneous and unavoidable. Wanting to stop anybody from doing anything because it "belongs" to another culture is silly. Besides, I thought diversity was supposed to be a good thing.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Wow, great post, Rum Punch. ITA. I wanted to give you a point, but I have to wait till they replenish my meager stockpile.

Maybe, but it also could be some clever scripting to make us think the producers don't tell them what scores to give after watching the dress rehearsal, camera blocking, figuring in their story-boarding, etc.

Elsa, we must both be wearing our tinfoil hats because that's kind of what I thought too. The judges' scores are such a load of crap, I rarely pay any attention to them.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

If some white guy from Utah wants to dance a bhangra, what is the problem?

Because for the most part, it's rooted in Orientalist bullshit, that's why. And exoticism is already a big enough problem for Asian and other non-white cultures without Mr. Mormon adding to it. Let's look at Derek's Bollywood with Maria. That wasn't genuine Bollywood, that was Derek throwing in a Bollywood theme for no good reason just to make the dance more ~exotic. And it was bullshit.

I have less issue with a couple like Gilles and Peta, who were actually *assigned* a Bollywood dance...they weren't just doing it to add some exotic flavor. They screwed up a bit, but at least they tried.

(I realize that Derek was actually assigned the bhangra, which is why I have less of an issue with that than I do with his Bollywood routine or that hot mess of a tribal samba he did with Shawn and Mark.)

Okay: A non-Indian learning elements of Bollywood (e.g. the complicated hand motions) and making a genuinely respectful attempt at learning the dance.
Not okay: A non-Indian slapping on a bindi and waving their arms around and going, "Lookee, it's Bollywood!" (See also: Selena Gomez)

It's a compliment, if anything.

Yeah, thanks, but I think I can do without white people "appreciating" Asian culture that way.

No more black contestants appropriating white culture, right?

Because black people have such a history of marginalizing white culture, right?

In other words: Not anywhere close to the same thing. We do not live in a vacuum, so we should not treat these situations as though they do. History and context matter, a lot. The Western world has spent years imposing their culture upon the rest of the world and basically being imperialist dicks, so yeah, white people can put up with non-white people wearing jeans and dancing the foxtrot.

Edited by tip and fall, Apr 24, 2013 @ 4:57 PM.

sintin

sintin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 4:57 PM

You said everything I wanted to say beautifully, tip and fall. The comparison of black people dancing ballroom to a routine full of stereotypes boggles the mind.

The random "exotic" face paint that Mark described as "tribal shit", the ape-like moves and random hip thrusts, complete with the two of them hooting and hollering like jackasses and pounding their chests after the routine proved that Derek and Mark were less interested in accurately portraying a dance from any particular culture and more interested in adding a mish-mash of random stereotypes for the sake of cheap entertainment and stroking their egos with their own brilliance. Hopefully the remaining couples won't try to be as "edgy" next week.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

The random "exotic" face paint that Mark described as "tribal shit",

Oh god, I had almost forgotten that! Must've blocked it out of my mind. IIRC, wasn't the face paint Polynesian, too? Yeah, I'm sure he and Derek were full of genuine appreciation for "tribal" culture.

(And what is this "tribal" culture, anyway? It makes about as much sense as wearing a hanbok, wearing geisha face paint, having a backdrop of the Great Wall of China, and calling your dance Asian.)

Hopefully the remaining couples won't try to be as "edgy" next week.

The other couples might not be, but remember, Mark and Derek are still in the competition. I'm looking forward to the day that one of them inevitably comes out in a war bonnet.

Edited by tip and fall, Apr 24, 2013 @ 5:07 PM.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 5:28 PM

George Pennachio (sp?) in his On The red Carpet interviews, asked the pros what they thought of Stevie competing. Turns out they've had a blind contestant on the Australian version of DWTS, and Kym and Sharna know a lot about it and think it would be awesome, as did Peta.

As someone with a mobility disability, I'm all for it. And they've already had physically-impaired celebs on the show anyway: Oscar-winner Marlee Matlin, who's hearing-impaired, & Heather Mills, an amputee & the 2nd Mrs. Paul McCartney. Having a sight-impaired participant may be a bit more challenging, but I think it's still "doable", especially if the right (hopefully veteran) pro was the partner.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

Lindsay's upper lip.

That is all. [/shallow]

FullRetail

FullRetail

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

Ok, I thought Heather Mills and Marlee Matlin performed well on their seasons. Not despite their disability; they actually did a good job dancing the dances they were assigned. Much better than a lot of others who've been on there and lasted a helluva lot longer. I'd imagine a blind contestant would probably do ok, but Stevie Wonder looks like he's not the svelte guy of old. Maybe someone a little younger would work a lot better?

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

(And what is this "tribal" culture, anyway? It makes about as much sense as wearing a hanbok, wearing geisha face paint, having a backdrop of the Great Wall of China, and calling your dance Asian.)

The difference between cultural appropriation and cultural homage is a fine line, and your mileage may vary. But a great example of the distinction happened in the ice dancing discipline at the Vancouver Olympics, where the couples were supposed to perform a folk or ethnic theme for the Original Dance (second night). The Russians, Domnina/Shabalin, came out with a horribly offensive "Aboriginal" routine, including utterly meaningless and incorrect tattoos and caveman-baby gestures like Eskimo kissing. They had to tone it down by the actual Olympics, where they ended up with a bronze medal, but it was just a mess. In contrast, the Americans, Davis/White, did an absolutely wonderful Indian folk dance, using real Indian textiles and having studied with experts to get the moves and the feeling right. Indians LOVE their routine, and it became a YouTube sensation.

For me, it's more about whether the people performing a cultural routine have gone to the appropriate experts to do it right, as opposed to just slapping on some accessories and jumping around like cartoon characters.

Edited by NicoleMN6, Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:47 PM.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Jennifer Gimenez was an actress/model but perhaps is best known recently (prior to RHWvs) for running "Sober House" and on "Celebrity Rehab" with Dr. Drew.

Holy smokes. I thought that was Jen but I told myself no way. I only know her from Dr. Drew shows & her over the top drama making.

Exactly. The actual joke was that after hearing the pros and the celebs butcher "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" karaoke-style, Tom said that Stevie had changed his mind and said that he'd rather do Splash instead.

And then didn't Brooke say something about they'd be staying a dance show? Way to miss the joke Brooke!

I'm with y'all that the will.i.am (or however he does his stupid name) was just a big pile of dog droppings. I don't want to hear Bieber sing live let alone recorded video. What a waste of time. I suppose his robot-esque moves were supposed to be dancing but it just looked ridiculous. Speaking of ridiculous... the droopy diaper pants make some of the Madonna crap I wore in the 80s look good.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:30 PM

I agree she seems to look kind of thick in the middle, but I remember thinking the same thing about Shawn Johnson during her first season too. Given that she's just come off a gold-medal winning Olympics, I think it's safe to assume she's in fantastic shape. I just think gymnasts who spend their whole lives training like she has develop a core of solid muscle which is why she appears to have no waist.

It is possible that Aly is in great shape, however, it looks like she gained at least 30 lb since the Olympics last year. She is getting thick and heavy.... at least it seems that way to me.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 9:10 AM

Aly's body looked AMAZING at the Olympics. Even if she's gained some weight since then, which would be normal for any elite athlete who has retired, the costumes Mark puts her in do her body type absolutely no favors. The same thing happened with Shawn. They don't know how to dress a short, muscular woman on this show. Time for a crossover with "What Not to Wear!"

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

They don't know how to dress a short, muscular woman on this show.

I think it's muscular women in general, really. I thought it was remarkable just how bad they managed to Misty May-Treanor back in her season.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:23 PM

It is possible that Aly is in great shape, however, it looks like she gained at least 30 lb since the Olympics last year. She is getting thick and heavy.... at least it seems that way to me.

She cannot possibly have gained 30 lbs since last summer. She's been on the road doing exhibitions ever since the Olympics and now she's training for this show 6 days a week. One of the rehearsal clips showed her doing pull ups (actually, I don't know the name of the exercise: she was suspended from a wall doing leg lifts/crunches). She's just not a skinny, skinny rail like Zendaya, she's solid muscle. She could probably kick anyone's ass on that dance floor.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

She could probably kick anyone's ass on that dance floor.

She needs to kick the ass of whomever put her in that granny-era dress that made her look like she's a 200-lb. tube. The point is, she needs to be garbed in an outfit that flatters her figure, regardless of what shape that figure is. If she were dressed correctly, no one here would be talking about her body shape or possible weight gain. She might even look feminine and attractive, something that she wasn't this week in that old lady outfit with no waistline.

Edited by SaberTail, Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:00 PM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with Aly's shape, but I do agree they haven't really figured out how to costume her as yet. The only costume she's worn that I thought was particularly flattering to her figure yet far was her samba dress. Though I don't know if it's more the fault of the costuming department or Mark quite honestly. It's hard to say without knowing how much input Mark has in her overall fashion choices.

DanDanNoodles

DanDanNoodles

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

She's just not a skinny, skinny rail like Zendaya, she's solid muscle.

Zendaya is obviously pretty strong, too; witness that one lift during their Argentine tango, when she held her entire lower body out while Val spun around. For that matter, look at the female pros, who are phenomenally strong through their core. The ultra-skinny models who have weak cores have never done well on the show, and whatever else you might say about her, Zendaya is a fabulous dancer, and she couldn't be that without being well-conditioned. It isn't strong-vs-skinny, gymnastics is just a different kind of strong. It builds muscles in different ways.

Consider this picture from the Olympics, vs. one from the show, and it's easy to see why someone would say she has gained weight.

Personally, I love athletic, muscular women, so I'm not complaining either way.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

Responded to the stuff about Aly in Aly's thread.

I can only hope that DWtS will resist the urge to cast Stevie Wonder. After suffering through the Lazaro debacle on American Idol, I have no desire to watch another person be unjustly advanced based on pity, or inspiration, or however you want to characterize it.

Yeah. It's totally up DWTS' alley, though. I'm surprised that they haven't done it yet. I totally believe that if that Oscar guy from the Olympics hadn't shot his girlfriend, they'd have been trying to get him on here.

I agree with those who said that Peanut is adorable, and I loved Jacoby's response!

Consider this picture from the Olympics, vs. one from the show, and it's easy to see why someone would say she has gained weight.

Though, I agree that she's gained (and those who do intense things to their bodies like Olympic training, or starvation, for that matter, tend to have a more dramatic change in look than those that don't), that first picture doesn't really represent how she looked back then. A fuller body shot. She's always had kind of a thicker look, and her legs look the same. I imagine her arms and shoulders also looked pretty much the same, but those gymnastics uniforms fully cover them.