22-9: "The Ultimate Fun House" 2013.04.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

126 replies to this topic

Imajicka1

Imajicka1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

After finally seeing the episode on the CBS website, I can definitely say that if I was a racer, I would've loved this leg--especially the rave/club and the maze. That is right up my alley.

I don't really care about politics when I'm watching TAR, so Max's affinity for Reagan and Rush only got a "meh" from me. Then again, I'm not rooting for him, so I frankly don't care. If it was the Derby Moms or Team Youtube or even the Hockey Bros, I would of been much more disappointed. My biggest deciding factors on choosing who to root for are mainly: 1) how well a racer treats his/her partner and 2) how well they treat the locals. Politics is rarely a factor.

While I'm certainly no fan of Katie, the fact that she seems to have ice-water in her veins doesn't bother me. Having a racing partner who can keep her cool in stressful situations should be an advantage. Her haughtiness, on the other hand, is something of a turn-off. I have all the respect in the world for those who have a PhD. That doesn't necessarily translate as genius to me; it just means that someone can work hard, knows how to study and do research, and is organized and motivated. So I'm not surprised that Katie has been humbled on some of the puzzles on this show.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 6:37 PM

RE Katie's non-reaction to winning the cars, I found it strange and frankly it looked like Max was surprised by it, too. I decided to tell myself she was accidentally peeing her pants and the frozen empty look on her face was embarrassment + praying they would only shoot her from the neck up and not say anything about it.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

I'm not a Katie fan at all, but I just watched their scene at the pit stop. She did react - she was actually smiling, seemed pleased they won the cars (if I recall correctly, she mentioned something of how cool it would be to win them earlier in the episode), and kissed her husband. I thought it was odd that she said nothing when the German greeter welcomed them, but nothing to the extent of diagnosing her with a psychological disorder.

I don't know that I'll ever like her, and she annoyed me when she was super critical of Max in earlier episodes. OTOH, I appreciate a woman, in a relationship on the show, who doesn't devolve into tears, whininess, cursing out her husband/significant other at the slightest provocation, or other assy behavior and does what she needs to when she needs to do it without excessive complaining. She is certainly the more quiet of the two, and comes across more arrogant. But I just wonder if she's an introvert, on top of possibly being snobby.

And I kind of loved her non-reaction at Bates' bag being stolen. I really like the hockey players, but the way the country singers (particularly the short one) was going on about it, you'd have thought it was one of their bags stolen. I think you can empathize with someone without being "OMG! That's horrible!" as if it's the most devastating thing ever to happen in the history of mankind.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:37 PM.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 8:05 AM

I have all the respect in the world for those who have a PhD.

It is my understanding she doesn't have a PhD. She has a PharmD. It's still a doctorate, but it's a professional degree, like a JD (lawyer). Many PharmD programs don't even require you finish a Bachelor's degree before entering, just have a few undergraduate pre-requisites, though with them becoming more competitive, most people have Bachelor's before applying. But with this degree it is possible to hold a doctorate without having a Bachelor's degree. It isn't a research degree. I honestly don't even think it is equivalent to a JD (my opinion), though that's the best comparision.

She doesn't seem like a nice person to be around, but I do agree- she keeps her cool most of the time on the race, and that's a good thing. She did seem to be getting pretty frustrated with the slipping shoes though.

Edited by Skittl1321, Apr 26, 2013 @ 8:05 AM.

squarebranch

squarebranch

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

Did we have a Race first here, a pit stop at a public restroom? Did they let the bathmat itself pick the location?

Anyways, the leg seemed to have a lot of missed opportunities. In the letters detour for example, it shouldn't have been too difficult to use letter forms which are more evocative of the location. Things Like the double s ligature, something with umlauts, or a z with middle stroke. And this being the car promo leg, was there any non-shipping-related reason why they couldn't drive themselves directly from leg start to Berlin? Talking of Berlin, was everything in something like a four block radius, or is that just a really big Ferris wheel which keeps appearing in the background? Although I have to say the night leg was cool.

As for the racers: some of them can apparently afford unplanned taxi rides without so much as a second thought to money. As for the no-more-nice-singers car interview, I keep trying to picture the looks you would get for such statements in a non-reality-TV context.

jeromycraig

jeromycraig

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

I respectfully disagree. One of them thought Ronald Reagan wanted to tear down the Great Wall of China.

To be fair, he probably did.

SnarklePuss

SnarklePuss

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

Did we have a Race first here, a pit stop at a public restroom?

If they'd done that in S14 in China, it might have saved Jen and Kisha.