2-19: "Lacey" 2013.04.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

250 replies to this topic

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 4:12 PM

Cindy has 3 kids, all in their teens now I think?
I actually think not being around someone all the time might make you more likely to do it. So it's like eh, I can do this for my nephew. Or the kid you're babysitting. Or Neal, having never been around Henry, feels like he can do it. It's something he's never done.

But I think when you've raised a kid since infancy you may feel like you "did your time" toting this kid around the first few years of that child's life and now it's time for them to wake up for 10 seconds and walk on their own.

Now as Henry, or the child in question however, you totally do not reveal you are awake if you getting a free ride.

Schmacky0

Schmacky0

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

But I think when you've raised a kid since infancy you may feel like you "did your time" toting this kid around the first few years of that child's life and now it's time for them to wake up for 10 seconds and walk on their own.

True which is why I don't find it weird for Neal to do it. He hasn't done his time. And I think he's anxious to do it.

Edited by Schmacky0, Apr 26, 2013 @ 4:25 PM.

JadedOncer

JadedOncer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

I agree with the recap that Rum was torturing Robin Hood and then healing him to start anew. This episode was really disturbing and takes the whole Rum/Belle relationship to a new level of sick. Why did Belle need to clean his aprons? Couldn't he just use magic to get more? Yes, Belle, his heart is full of goodness.

does nobody have a 10-11 year old? I've literally carried my 10 and a half old nephew from the car to his room late at night after a long ass day at an amusement park when he fell asleep in the car. He was kind of awake but kind of not and he didn't give two craps that I was carrying him.

We've both carried ours a few times. I never thought of it as anything strange. When they're big enough that we literally cannot carry them we'll stop. Of course, it happens far less often now than it used to. I also think there's something to the thought that Neal hasn't been around long and is making up for lost time. I can also see Henry being the type to fake it.

Deirbhile

Deirbhile

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 7:57 AM

When he has so much magic, why is a cleaning lady even necessary.

I thought they had Belle hit that nail pretty firmly on the head in Skin Deep: he was more in need of companionship than housekeeping services.

And, seriously...did Rumpel pick Belle purely at random? This being to whom so little happens by chance decides to wheel and deal himself someone to keep him company and do a bit of dusting and light post-torture clean up, and he just happens to pluck his one True Love out of the nearest desperate village? If it didn't come out of prophecy (since he clearly didn't seem to be looking for love), it was at least the heavy hand of Fate.

Every time we revisit her past with Rumpy, I grow more disillusioned with this couple, because their backstory makes her look like she has Stockholm Syndrome.

I really get why people feel that way, and certainly it's hard to hand-wave the more icky and dysfunctional elements of the story. Beauty and the Beast is one of the harder fairy tales to modernize, because you can never really eliminate its historical roots in the idea that it's the role of woman to make the best of an arranged union.

But. The interesting thing they've done with Belle this season - hard to see without squinting because she's been really poorly integrated - is that they've moved her ability to see the interior characteristics of those around her (and to act on them) well beyond Rumpelstiltskin.

She doesn't know Ruby that well, but when just about everyone but Granny and David were ready to pitchfork the big bad wolf, Belle was ready to risk her own safety to protect her, because she realized Ruby was good. She put herself at considerable risk in facing the Yaoguai, and she was the only one to figure out that there was an actual human being trapped in there to be released. I would imagine her assertion that Hook's heart is "rotten" is going to turn out to be more than a rhetorical flourish.

I argued a couple of pages ago that because so much of the focus of Rumpel's story this season has revolved around women, "Lacey" is not just a corruption of Belle, but a mixture of Milah and Cora. I think you could extend that and say she's also an iteration of The Seer - not gifted with prophecy, but gifted with a second sight that guides her actions. Arguably, she would be trying to help Rumpel even if she wasn't in love with him, because what she values in the people she sees around her are what she sees in their hearts.

Finally, to believe Belle is just a deluded victim of a dysfunctional love is to assume that she's just plain wrong about Rumpelstiltskin and his potential to free himself (or be freed by her) from the weight of the Dark One's influence and to live a much different, better, kinder life. The fact that he pretty definitively asked her to help him do just that before Regina showed up with the Magic Matchbook is a sign of which way the wind is blowing on that front.

In another nice touch, Sneezy (who, you'll remember, is town line amnesia patient zero) is with her and cracks that her name ought be Fast Eddie, since she's hustling him.

Gack. I totally missed that. Must have been a spot of amnesia on my part.

Edited by Deirbhile, Apr 27, 2013 @ 8:04 AM.

PollyTheist

PollyTheist

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

The more I think of their use of Robin Hood, the more annoyed I am.

In any version of Robin Hood, he's a brilliant archer but OAUT says it was a magic bow that can't miss. How insulting! Also a woodsman who doesn't hear those two talking or look around and see them (since Rumple seems to have a clear view of him). More insults to the character!

If the sheriff is in Storybrooke, then so must Robin and the Merry Men. Which means they are going about living their 21st century memory lives and not getting together to fight the injustice of Regina's rule... insulting!!

They seem to count on us having a good feeling for and knowledge of the character (and apparently the actor although I'd never heard of him) to fill in the blanks of the writing they didn't bother to do.

There are many views of the Sheriff of Nottingham but in none of them is he stupid. He may be ambitious and cruel but he is also manipulative and knows how to work the nobility to get and keep his position of power in the Shire. (Ok, he never does well against Robin but that is always because Robin is the representation of Good.) Once he got his memories back, he would never settle for spending his nights being rejected by chicks in the bar and he wouldn't walk up to the Dark One and say "we're good, right?". Can you see the Sheriff saying something like that to King Richard or Prince John?? (I won't even start about the historical figure connection because it is just too much.) Anyway, he'd be the first one to start toadying up to Regina for position. She had minions or at least soldiers in the Enchanted Forest but not even servants here (??). She needs another Sydney.

Another bizarre thing. The guy who brought Marian brings her then just leaves WITH the horse but leaves the wagon. So much for the loyal merry men. And where did that white horse come from all of a sudden?

Edited by PollyTheist, Apr 27, 2013 @ 11:31 AM.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:19 PM

Agree on all of those counts Polly. Just shows again how interesting this season could have been with Robin and his gang, the Charming gang,with their hoard of good magic doers (...Blue, Glinda???If they show that Glinda, etc, were sitting around all this time and not fighting Rump and Regina...) etc, working to over throw Regina (who I would have teaming up with Charmings dad to control the town )with their band of black magic evil doers..and Rumpie as usual his creepy lonesome loathsome self on the sideline waiting to see the fall out. The taking back Storybrooke could have been juxtapose with the taking back of Snow and Charmings kindgoms and could have naturally brought more characters in through that.

I like the idea of the Sheriff toadying up to Regina...makes sense and she needs someone to discuss her evil plans so we know what the hell she is thinking. I too have thought it weird that she has soldiers there but nothing here.

After Regina and her gang is overthrown, and maybe her magic taken or neutralize, then next season they could have brought in Cora to help her, and the real world comes to SB. etc.

Which brings to mind (should be in all season thread I guess) when Regina can't start her magic she goes to Rump to get her spell book back and after a comment, he just gives it to her? Why? Would have been cool to have brought in Robin Hood earlier and Regina uses him to break into Gold's shop and steal the book.

Oh well. I do have to say that you can tell straight guys run this show, the hot guys are either killed off or on for a short amount of time or are non threatening goofs (Charming, Hook.)

Edited by Irish64, Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:30 PM.

Taarn

Taarn

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

Sigh - all the things they could have done and all the wasted characters. Not to mention the characters brought in for a quick effect and discarded with a storyline left hanging to never be mentioned again. Maybe Robin and Marian will be back again but not for any substantial story time since I understand they both have regular jobs elsewhere.

To paraphrase Abba Eban: The Deluded Duo never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

What threw me for a loop was when Gold confronted Regina & Regina claims she did nothing, it was Gold's doing (part of his curse) and she just gave it a little reminder.

I agree, they stuck that in as a reminder that Regina didn’t decide on “Lacey”. Rumple decided on Lacey.

Which would mean, Enchanted Forest Rumple didn’t want to be changed, challenged, or made into a better man, and the first chance he got to disempower Belle’s effect on him in that direction, he took. On the heels of the revelation that apparently his heretofore true love was Cora, I find that a promising story development, because honestly I’ve been bored by Rumple all this season.

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

No, at the time Rumple wrote the curse he believed Belle was dead because Regina told him that after she took Belle captive. Regina also said in I forget which episode that she decided who and what people would be in Storybrooke. I think Rumple had control over the curse but he let Regina have some decision-making ability over the piddling things he didn't case about, such as everyone's Storeybrooke persona. The Lacey persona was entirely Regina's doing.

Irish64

Irish64

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

I dont think either of them decided on people's identity. There must be hundreds, if not a thousand people in Storybrooke. How could Regina and Rump know them all, especially since apparently all the magical lands had people sucked out of them. I think that the curse was set up to make people forget who they were and bring out their worst traits, or something inside which would make them miserable. The curse just kick started it. How could Regina and Rump, in their world, know what a mechanic was, or a nun, or a hardware store owner would be in our world.

Regina lies and takes credit for things, as in, saying she made things happen when the two of them are together she tells Rump, "How should I know, its your curse."

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 8:32 AM

Cindy has 3 kids, all in their teens now I think? 
I actually think not being around someone all the time might make you more likely to do it. So it's like eh, I can do this for my nephew. Or the kid you're babysitting. Or Neal, having never been around Henry, feels like he can do it. It's something he's never done.

Now as Henry, or the child in question however, you totally do not reveal you are awake if you getting a free ride. 

Yes, I have 3 children and they are 13, 14, and 17. They have always been on the tall side, too, and apart from my first son as a newborn, we never had any sleep issues with them. They went to bed well, and went to sleep well. Carrying them from the car to the house stopped when they were somewhere around 5. My husband and I could wake them enough to stumble into the house, get them in their jammies and back into bed, and they'd drop right off. *Edit* I just realized that having 3 children changed that equation, too. Our house sits up high (lots of stairs from the driveway to the door, and it's a two story house, too). Once there were 3, we could only carry in the two littler ones.

I can see where as a new father, Neal might be trying to capture the experience of having little ones. I can also see where Henry might be glad to play along, which is actually pretty cute. I might have enjoyed it more if Henry had smirked or something, so we knew he was enjoying the opportunity to have daddy carry him. A big kid isn't generally going to drop off that soundly to sleep, on a short car ride. It's not like Neal took Henry to Boston for the day. They were at the Storybrooke park.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, May 5, 2013 @ 8:34 AM.