Hemlock Grove

• Please log in to reply

103 replies to this topic

canaws

canaws

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

Regarding Olivia's backstory, I didn't like the way that was told. At then end of the story, she was basically like, "Fuckin' gypsies," but until she said that, I had no idea that boy was supposed to be Romani. Was I supposed to just know the servant was going to be Romani?

I don't think you were supposed to know. I think the backstory was rushed, but it was kind of like surprise history is repeating itself. They dropped some clues for you to pick up on in retrospect though. Olivia hated Peter from the start. The viewer is thinking it's because he is poor, but it's really because he's a gypsy. Plus, when she talked to Peter when Roman was in his coma she said "maybe if he would have met you sooner he would have been a better man." At the time, the viewer is thinking she means a nicer guy (like Roman was hoping Peter would help him with, fighting the darkness), but she really meant he would have broken his heart sooner and helped turn him into a upir sooner.

I think it's going to turn out they're all related.

I think they are. If I remember right, Peter's grandfather said they traveled with the old lady Magdalena who might have been his grandmother or something. Olivia's daughter was named Magdalena.

Edited by canaws, May 4, 2013 @ 1:25 AM.

Gabrielle Tracy

Gabrielle Tracy

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

Watched seven of the episodes this weekend and loved them.  Am looking forward to the rest of them

Good Heavens, those Skarsgard boys are beautiful.  What do they put in the water in Sweden???

AzraelKay

AzraelKay

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

I was very bored over the weekend and stumbled upon this on Netflix. The first eppy was enough to make me keep watching, but in the middle of the 5th or 6th, I just gave up.  Bad dialogue [and accents - I'm looking at you Famke]; plot so convoluted that I just found myself not caring anymore.  Ended up reading the spoilers on the AV Club just to avoid having to watch the rest of the season. 

Edited by AzraelKay, May 6, 2013 @ 8:56 AM.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 9:02 PM

Ok, I just finished the show this weekend and I found it fascinating. It was a little slow at first but I think by the end I was really finding all the characters pretty interesting. I didn’t have a problem with the way sexuality was portrayed, personally. It may be that I’m not family with Roth’s background but also that what I am interested in is that the characters that are shown are interesting and relatable and I think they were, female and male.  

Take the montage where they show her targeting her victims: it's clear that she goes after them out of insane, petty, flimsy reasons.

This exactly.

Olivia's backstory. I almost thought she was saying she and the Romani were related somehow.

I think there will be more to that at some point. I wondered if Peter and Roman were somewhat distantly related and that’s why there was such a bond. I also liked Olivia’s line about gypsies taking your ring and the love from your heart.

Roman raped the one girl and compelled her to forget and did the same to his cousin and compelled her to think it was an angel.

It’s not like these were portrayed as good things. I think we’re meant to believe Roman repressed the thing with Leetha so hard he didn’t even remember and the other was him going off the rails.

Her all white everything was SLAYING me.

Absolutely! The outfits she wore entertained me on a PLL’s level. And that’s saying something because that show has a bonkers wardrobe.

Maroushka

Maroushka

Just Tuned In

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

I looked at IMDB. Shelley is credited as "Young Shelley" and Roman's dream Shelley is credited as "Pretty Shelley". This annoys me, as it implies that the actress playing Shelley is not pretty. She is. Not conventionally beautiful, probably, but come on.

But I agree that while Christina's motivations may be seen as mysoginistic, the show itself doesn't ever seem to say that her behavior is understandable or sympathetic. Except in the general way you might feel sorry for someone with a mental illness, but you still understand that dangerous is dangerous.

Edited by Maroushka, May 6, 2013 @ 10:42 PM.

Gabrielle Tracy

Gabrielle Tracy

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 8:28 AM

I finished watching the series over the weekend and I'm more confused than ever!  I completely did not understand Olivia's whole back story.  Also, what was with the baby in the crib with the black netting and candles around it?  Did Olivia want Roman to eat the baby or something?  Roman was wearing a black t shirt when he used to wear white.  Does that mean he crossed over to the dark side?  Aaaargh!  Very unsatisfying for me.  Oh, and what in the world did Olivia do to poor Dr. Chasseur?  Why?

Would things be clearer to me if I read the book??

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 11:00 AM

I just watched the series this weekend as well and found myself enjoying it, for the most part. I admit that there were some parts that didn't catch my attention and since I was watching most of the episodes late at night, I was falling asleep through some parts, but I didn't hate it in any way. I found myself enjoying the first few episodes, losing my attention through the middle episodes, and back to my attention captured for the last four or so episodes. 

I found that they did shove in too much information in the last two episodes. I felt like they could have saved some of the info for season 2, but I guess they would not have been sure if they would have been picked up. The Godfrey backstory was not as intriguing as I thought and I found myself completely lost when they revealed Roman's mystery in the last episode. I had to look up some of my questions online for clarification. 

Sure, the acting was spotty at some points but I found myself liking some of the characters. The Peter/Roman bromance was probably my favourite part of the season. They really stuck by each other and their friendship grew naturally, although at some points I found myself wondering if they would take their relationship to the next level. But ultimately, they were great friends to each other, despite the bumps in the road, and if/when there is a season 2, their reunion will definitely be bittersweet and interesting, especially with what happened with Roman in the last ten minutes. 

I also loved Shelley. Peter, Letha, Roman and the girl in the store being so nice to her was great. I loved Roman/Shelley's sibling relationship and thought it was great. It was nice to see Roman so concerned for his sister. Shelley, in general, was a great, fleshed out character and I enjoyed her on my screen. 

Christina confused me at some points and I know I should have figured it out, but I was surprised when it was revealed she was the werewolf.Maybe because she was too obvious and I started guessing at everyone else being the killer? I even thought the Sheriff could have been the killer until his daughters were killed. But still, good revelation and she was definitely always mentally unstable. 

It was a good season and I'd definitely tune in for season 2, if not just for Peter, Roman, Shelley, Destiny and Olivia. 

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I looked at IMDB. Shelley is credited as "Young Shelley" and Roman's dream Shelley is credited as "Pretty Shelley". This annoys me, as it implies that the actress playing Shelley is not pretty. She is. Not conventionally beautiful, probably, but come on.
That's annoying, but also, I couldn't tell if it was the same actress playing her or a different one.  I thought it was a different person, but figured it was the same one.  I don't know why they didn't have the same actress.

Would things be clearer to me if I read the book??
I hope that's not the case.  I think it's ridiculous when people expect you to get more information from other sources, even if the other source is the original text.

Maroushka

Maroushka

Just Tuned In

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

http://www.imdb.com/.../?ref_=tt_cl_t8

Young Shelley

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1509081/

Pretty Shelley

Argh.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Personally, I think 'young Shelley' is prettier than 'pretty Shelley'. But that's just me. It shouldn't even matter, anyways. Shelley is so pretty.

rr2

rr2

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

I know that the show is getting bombed by critics, but I actually liked it and thought it was entertaining. There were some things that felt rushed and abrupt at time and I didn't know where they were going.

I am surprised they didn't catch on to the Christina before but now that I think about it; they were horrible detectives. Peter and Roman relied too much on the supernatural. Normal detective work could have probably allowed them to figure it out sooner without grave robbing. Like asking more questions and looking at the behavior of people in the town especially students. Christina already looked like she had started falling apart before finding the body. Vargulf destroys itself. By the time, Roman saw her in the hospital with all white hair that should have been the biggest clue. 

It always annoys me when people refuse to tell what they know like Peter, Lynda,and Destiny knowing that Roman was a upir and not telling him especially Peter. I mean even if Roman didn't believe him. He could at least say he gave it a try. It just felt like he was leaving him hanging which leads him more into the clutches of Olivia. Knowing could have potentially helped Roman fight it better.

I thought that it was so weird how Roman and Peter barely know each other and their friendship hadn't even begun before Peter lets Roman see him shift. I mean jeez. Isn't this stuff suppose to be a secret? I could buy it more if we had seen them together more before the shift or if Roman had seen the shift by himself with Peter not knowing he was there. Maybe I am looking more into it than must because they did have a connection.

Another thing that I was thinking of was. What was the connection? I mean I know that they had the same dreams, but what did the dreams mean and what did it mean that they were having the same dreams?

Rant over.I need there to be another season. I am so anal that I like to have all my questions wrapped up. I don't know if they will be able to Peter is gone and it is hard to see him coming back because he isn't invested in Hemlock Grove. It isn't his home. How would they bring him back?

Questions:

Did Olivia kill Shelley? We know she killed Juliette because she was born without the caul and she prized Roman for being born with it so did she kill Shelley and JR just decide to bring Shelley back.

Why did she kill the babies for being born without the caul? It doesn't seem like it is mandatory to be an upir and be born with it.

Was Norman really in love with Olivia? My opinion I don't think so. She had a sway over him that he could never get out of, but I don't know if it was really love. Any thoughts?

Edited by rr2, May 9, 2013 @ 10:53 PM.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

I just finished watching the whole series, it was okay. The beginning was interesting but like most I started losing interest around ep 7. I finished watching it because I have to finish something I started.

I loved Peter and Roman's bromance and I loved how caring Roman was with Shelly.  Peter's cousin was pretty awesome too. And even Oliva's love for her children. Everyone was also so tall. So I guess I liked the characters it was the story that wasn't that interesting. I didn't guess Christina being the werewolf until she started acting more like a creeper.

I guess Oliva killed the rest of her children that didn't have the coul, but accepted Shelly once she came back from the dead. Because that is what Upir's do. I'm still a little confused about the Upir's. I get that they are like vampires, but Olivia died as a child and aged into an adult then stopped aging at some point? So does that mean Roman will age a little more then just stop now that he is a true Upir? And they can have children? So I guess they are not really dead like most vampires.

And if werewolves die without getting their head chopped off can resurrect too? What does that make them? Zombiewerwolves?

How many people are playing Shelly. lol I guess they need her to be really tall and still look young. I hated that they were all so willing to let her take the fall for everything without being at least a little conflicted about it. She was so nice and sweet and they all know that. The rest of the town would believe anything because they need a bad guy.

If they get a season 2, I'll watch to see if they answer any of my questions. Especially what's going on in the Godfrey Institute. Is Dr. Pryce making super people?

Edited by Sakura12, May 14, 2013 @ 11:48 AM.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

I thought that it was so weird how Roman and Peter barely know each other and their friendship hadn't even begun before Peter lets Roman see him shift. I mean jeez. Isn't this stuff suppose to be a secret? I could buy it more if we had seen them together more before the shift or if Roman had seen the shift by himself with Peter not knowing he was there. Maybe I am looking more into it than must because they did have a connection.

Maybe they were supposed to have been better friends or something.  It seemed soon to me, but by the last episodes, I realize I had been confused by the timeline.  They showed Peter and his mom showing up at the trailer and cleaning it up, and then it seemed like the first murder happened shortly after.  Then the next murder happened the next month, etc.  But by the end, Letha was having her baby, while I had thought the people on the show had no idea what a three-month pregnant person looked like.  Likewise, in the flashback at the end where Peter and whatshername, the other werewolf, were talking, they seemed to have known each other a while.  My point is, there were big jumps of time that weren't clear to me in the earlier episodes, and so maybe they actually knew each other longer than it might have seemed.

Edited by janie jones, Jun 5, 2013 @ 1:13 AM.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

I agree that the timeline was confusing.  In general, I thought the pacing of the series was extremely poor. A lot happened within the first two episodes and then the plot went almost nowhere until the final two. Moreoever, within each episode, action went soooo verrry slooooowly.  There were a few times where I honestly wondered whether the actors had scripts or only general scene outlines and they had to impovise the dialogue.

Dr Chasseur appeared to be dead, but then she wasn't but might as well have been for all the 5 minutes of lock-picking and skinning got us. Meanwhile, Letha took an excrutiating 13 episodes to die.

If I had to sum up my opinion in two words, I'd say: Compellingly awful.

ncw12371

ncw12371

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

Just want to add my two cents. I'd never heard of this until I got Netflix this spring, but since I will watch anything with a supernatural bent, I was all in. Since I watched it in a weekend, I'm sure I missed somethings, but all in all I was intrigued.

I agree with the giant plot holes others have mentioned, but was willing to disregard, in the hope that questions would be answered in season two. I don't know anything about the books this show is based on, but I am so tired of the teen angst bent a la Vampire Diaries and  Twlight, uggghh. Homestly, I could not wait for Letha to die. What an annoying, cloying character. The whole touched by an angel thing, and the naivite, and what was so compelling to her about Peter? 

I wish we could've gotten more backstory on the Godfrey Institute, Dr. Pryce, the folklore and abilities, so many questions. Why does Shelley glow, why doesn't anyone except Roman acknowledge it (maybe one time Peter?)? What is the origin of upir? 

What was the thing Dr. Price was growing? And I need more info on/about the Order of the Dragon.

I am almost tempted to read the book...

And I second the opinions on the fabulousness of Olivia's wardrobe, so chic, loved every outfit!

Questions:

Did Olivia kill Shelley? We know she killed Juliette because she was born without the caul and she prized Roman for being born with it so did she kill Shelley and JR just decide to bring Shelley back.

I wouldn't put it past her. didn't she say Roman was the only offspring born upir?

Why did she kill the babies for being born without the caul? It doesn't seem like it is mandatory to be an upir and be born with it. 

Need more backstory on the lore to answer this. How do we know it's not mandatory to be upir withought being born with a caul?

Was Norman really in love with Olivia? My opinion I don't think so. She had a sway over him that he could never get out of, but I don't know if it was really love. Any thoughts?

I think Olivia glamoured him, as her first husband alluded to, and appears to explain his response when she tells him to go upsatirs in the last episode. It was like he didn't have free will around her.

coppersin

coppersin

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

Why does Shelley glow?

I'm pretty sure the doctor said he used phosphorous to fuse cells, or something like that. Thus, glowing.

Isn't it mandatory? It's how you know a baby is an upir, right? That's the impression I had, but I wasn't always paying close attention tbh.

I could not wait for Letha to die. What an annoying, cloying character.

In the beginning I was fine with her because I thought she balanced Roman well, and admittedly, I was shipping them. I'm all about the forbidden romances. I figured she would learn about all the supernatural stuff and mature as she dealt with it. By episode three or four, though, yeah, I was over it. She was just kind of there, and I really didn't get her and Peter. Like it was just because it was. In retrospect, I think I like what they did with her and Roman's behavior, because what I saw as unresolved feelings between the two was actually them responding unconsciously to the intimacy they had shared. No way they made a baby on the first try.

I am almost tempted to read the book...

I haven't heard much feedback from people who've read the book. (Not books, right? There's only one?) Usually people love to compare the two mediums, but all I've heard is that the book fleshes some details out and has better pacing.

Overall, I'm in for a second season, but only because I can binge-watch and skip the boring bits. It would be very easy to lose interest, though, if we don't get some clarity very quickly next season.

Edited by coppersin, May 15, 2013 @ 10:18 AM.

ashes ashes

ashes ashes

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

Well I loved it. I liked pretty much all of the characters and I really enjoyed almost all of the central relationships. I liked the slow pace. And I found it to be quite original in many respects. A lot of what I expected to happen got turned on its head, which I always enjoy. And I found it quite pleasing visually.  

What I didn’t really like was Peter and Letha’s relationship – I think way too much screen time was spent on it. There were a couple of scenes I liked between them – the scene when she was coming on to him and he was so awkwardly hesitant, the scene when he told her about the fairy (I found her questions to be so realistic – exactly what I would have asked), and Peter being turned on by her pregnancy, being so excited about the baby being born, and telling her that her smile made the flowers grow. But other than that…I just really could have done with out it.

I liked Clementine, but I think she also got too much screen time, especially since she didn’t accomplish anything or really add that much.

And I didn’t like how much bullying and prejudice went on against Shelley and Peter. Maybe I come from a nicer place or something but I just found that really unrealistic and annoying.

I agree with much of what has been said about the acting. Famke Janssen was horrible. Not just her accent, though that was the worst part.  As for Bill Skarsgard:

Yes his accent sucked, but I liked it? It was like a game, "Oh, there it goes again!"

It was the same for me! I noticed it slipping all of the time but I also found it endearing. I like him as Roman even if he wasn’t one of the strongest performers in the show.

I also agree with the criticisms about the confusing timeline. I never would have guessed that when Christina was killed it had been six months since Peter first came to town. And then before you know it Letha is having her baby. There were big time jumps but no indication that they had happened. It wasn’t done well.

I didn’t mind, because I enjoyed the ride, but it’s true that there wasn’t a lot of payoff to the steps that Roman and Peter (and Destiny) took towards ending the vargalf.

And finally, I also have a ton of questions. I realize there had to be some threads left for season 2, but I really hate not feeling like I completely understand.

1. What was up with the dreams? Why did Peter and Roman share dreams? What was the point? What did they mean?
  2. And what is with the whole dragon thing? We’ve got the order of the dragon, and then the dragon that everyone kept seeing, and the snake eating itself. The homeless man said he saw a dragon being born from a black egg, and then Christina compared the steel mixer at “Godfrey Castle” to a black egg. Wasn’t there supposed to be some curse on the steel mixer?
  3. Is everything that is different about Shelley a result of the method by which Pryce brought her back to life? Is ouroboros some sort of Shelley clone? She knew all about it, so what was her and Pryce’s plan for it? And is Shelley alive? And I can honestly understand everyone deciding to let her be the scapegoat, but I can’t believe they didn’t try harder to find her.
  4. Is Norman really Roman’s rather? Is he really Shelley’s father? And did JR actually commit suicide or did Olivia make him do it with her upir powers?
  5. What does Olivia want? Why did she (and how did she) orchestrate Roman raping Letha? Pryce talked about being her janitor, but isn’t Clementine her only known victim? Why did she have a tail? What’s up with that gypsy drug she was hooked on?
  6. What was this big decision Roman had to make that was going to hurt everyone in his shadow? Not eating the baby? Peter smiled, it felt like Roman made the right decision. But he came back from the dead and is full upir now or something right?
  7. So if a baby born to an upir has the caul, then they are upir too? Why did Olivia kill Juliette? Just because she wasn’t going to be upir?  And what about Shelley. Shelley died when she was two, Juliette was killed within hours/days of her birth.

I guess Oliva killed the rest of her children that didn't have the coul, but accepted Shelly once she came back from the dead. Because that is what Upir's do. 

That’s an interesting idea

I probably have even more questions than that but I’m forgetting them right now. I feel like some would be clarified with a second season but not all.

I’m off to read the book now. It doesn’t look like it’s too long.

rr2

rr2

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

• Is everything that is different about Shelley a result of the method by which Pryce brought her back to life? Is ouroboros some sort of Shelley clone?

I actually thought that the body at the end in the lab is meant to be Shelley's 

• Is Norman really Roman’s rather? Is he really Shelley’s father? And did JR actually commit suicide or did Olivia make him do it with her upir powers?

I do think that Norman is Roman's father, but I don't know about Shelley. 

• So if a baby born to an upir has the caul, then they are upir too? Why did Olivia kill Juliette? Just because she wasn’t going to be upir?  And what about Shelley. Shelley died when she was two, Juliette was killed within hours/days of her birth.

This is one of the things that I was wondering too. The caul is just supposed to show a sign of greatness for the baby so it would be surprising that every upir has a caul. Heck, we don't even know if Olivia had a caul. The caul could just be something that she is obsessed about it. I heard from one of the book readers that Shelley did have a caul, but Olivia accidentally killed her whereas Olivia purposely killed Juliette.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

According to Wikipedia, Shelley was born with one also.  I don't remember whether it was mentioned on the show, though.

I hope Roman and Shelley's father isn't Norman.  It's bad enough that Roman and Letha are cousins without them being half-siblings.

Which reminds me of another question I had.  Did JR know what Olivia was?  Because she said things like, "He's always been mine, you know that."  Did he ever wonder what the hell she meant by that?

Edited by janie jones, May 15, 2013 @ 9:45 PM.

Uncle Benzene

Uncle Benzene

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2013 @ 12:22 PM

What was up with the dreams? Why did Peter and Roman share dreams? What was the point? What did they mean?

I blame the birds.

Stupid fucking birds.

Diane M

Diane M

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 10:00 AM

Shelley died at age two and was brought back to life?  I must have been dozing when that was discussed.  So was she born with the big wonky eye and bumpy head or was some experiment done on her when she was brought back to life?  Why can't she talk?  And what's with the wrapped hands? 

Gabrielle Tracy

Gabrielle Tracy

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

I did end up reading the book.  I found out that the author and I went to the same college so I couldn't resist.

There were a few things that were fleshed out but for the most part the book was almost as confusing as the series!

-  In Olivia's backstory, the gypsy who "hit and ran" her was a Rumaneck (sp?)

-  Shelly was also born with the caul but where Olivia ate Roman's (in the book) right off his head, she cooked Shelly's with wine and mushrooms (eeew) and, although I don't remember the wording exactly, she apparently hurt or killed Shelly while she was drunk.

-  Peter and Christina had more of a friendship in the book.  Apparently they spent a lot of time together before school started but she was pressured by her friends the twins not to hang out with him anymore

-  Apparently Roman was supposed to drink his son's blood.  At the end of the book, he didn't resist as much as he did in the series and it ends with him leaning over the crib with his fangs exposed

That's about all I can think of right now, but those things really stood out for me

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

I enjoyed Hemlock Grove, overall. It was batshit-crazy, overacted, over-the-top and bizarre. I usually immediately dismiss anything with high schoolers in it since I'm *cough* old enough to be their (young) mother. I kept thinking that Roman and Peter were like Dylan McKay and Brandon Walsh, respectively, but then kind of traded off those roles. Real high schoolers don't act like they do, and real life isn't like that, clearly.

There were other anvilicious motifs or calls to other works of art or literature: as another poster commented, "Shelley" as in Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein"; "Peter and the Wolf"; Roman = Romulus and Remus are the twin wolf brothers and central characters of Rome's foundation myth; bildungsroman: a genre that is a coming-of-age story focusing on the psychological and moral growth of the protagonist from youth to adulthood (coming of age); Letha = lethal; the crib at the end is like the one in Rosemary's Baby; etc. I'm not implying that the use of motifs is bad; it was kind of fun. I like picking out those things. Someone had fun inserting them in the series.

I suspected the Project Ouroboros (child in the box at the end) was a new Roman; it kind of looked like him, but that's pure speculation. I totally agree with several posters that there were a lot of unanswered questions. I would like to see a second season to have them answered.

I knew early on that Roman was a vampire (or the like), but I was clueless about the killer. I thought it was going to be a man. I am fairly certain it was said that Norman is Roman's father, so that does make Roman and Letha half-siblings (as well as cousins). I'm very upset we didn't get to see what that kid looked like! How was that not the end shot?!?

BRoni82

BRoni82

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 3, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

I liked it overall.  My biggest complaint is with the writing.  A lot of it seemed like a waste of time or just not explained well.  For instance why did they need a lot of bacon grease?  Peter just takes a little and smears it on his face.  Not to mention I don't even understand why they did that when they could have just killed her before she turned.  Then why did they have to go out of their way to get the extension cord to tie up the girl/wolf when that clearly was pointless.  Then there is the axe that they did nothing with at all.  I have no problem with them not answering every question, but this type of thing just feels like lazy or bad writing.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

I am just done with the fifth episode and am finding it difficult to get past the horrible acting.

DS: What happened to you? This is so clearly an "I need a paycheck" job as he just shows up.

FJ: Stop having plastic surgery. You barely look human at this point. You were a limited actress to begin with, the the inability to fully move your face or display emotion, only make things worse for you.

BS: You fit right in to the bad actor's club and your inability to remain without your Swedish accent does not bode well for you. P.S. You should have steered clear of the obvious vampire role in light of your big brother's vampire performance. The inevitable comparisons will not favor you.

It became clear to me in episode five that Christine is the killer. Her graying hair and her cracking emotional foundation (which can so easily be blamed on what she experienced, so good red herring there) so corresponded to what Peter's cousin said would happen to the out of control werewolf. I also felt her insistence that Peter was a werewolf and the killer was a bit too much anvilicious foreshadowing of deflection for my tastes.

Glad to hear that my initial thought that Norman was Roman's father (the name play coupled with the scene with Norman and his brother before the brother was IMHO killed by Olivia) was yet another heavy anvil for me.

Also suspected that the "Angel" baby was going to turn out to be Roman's. The incest vibe between the cousins was off the hook and Norman's assessment of the crazy Angel Daddy story said whatever happened was more than just for lack of a better term, "traditional rape."

I am going to try and watch the rest of the show, but it will be a struggle as I am evidentially still in the midst of the "good and interesting" episodes. Hate hearing that sweet Shelley will be scapegoated, but an all too realistic ending.

Edited by ChainofFools, Jun 8, 2013 @ 4:38 PM.

DrPrincess

DrPrincess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 17, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

Absolutely! The outfits she wore entertained me on a PLL’s level. And that’s saying something because that show has a bonkers wardrobe.

<spantrebuchet ms',="" sans-serif;"="">

PLL is one of my fave guilty pleasure shows. Probably why I enjoyed this so much! I am going to re-watch the season again soon (Netflix has owned me for this and AD).

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 6:21 PM

Finally finished watching and one thing clearly indicates that there was no continuity in terms of writer knowledge. When Christina talked about how she became a werewolf, whose wolf print did she drink from? It could not have been Peter because he is shown moving into town after Blake is killed. Since the episode seems to imply that it was Peter's print, did they simply forget how the show began, or were viewers supposed to wonder who the other werewolf in town is?

cabelcb

cabelcb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Hemlock Grove was renewed for a second season.

http://www.dreadcent...son-2-confirmed

I enjoyed this first season and look forward to the second one.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

Hooray!! :D Bring on the batshit-crazy!

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 20, 2013 @ 12:53 AM

YESSSSSSS! The crazytrain will ride again!

I have no idea how they could top the sheer fuckery of the first season, but I have faith.