Investigation Discovery: Because the Playboy Channel Doesn't Do True Crime

• Please log in to reply

891 replies to this topic

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 7:22 PM

I know there's a new version of Disappeared coming out. I have little hope for it in its new format, but I'm willing to give it a try or two. I don't see why they changed it, there was NOTHING wrong with it, but what else is new?

I don't like Dark Minds either. But that might be because M. William Phelps bugs the shit out of me. lol

almondroca

almondroca

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 7:26 PM

I like Dark Minds because its never about a love triangle gone wrong or secret sexy double lives!

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 7:53 PM

Yah, I guess there's not!  Ok, that makes ONE good thing about it!

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

The only good thing about Dark Minds is the cases it sometimes covers.  Phelps is a sleazy hack, Raven is a joke, and I'm not impressed with the profiler man-whore either.  But I do still watch it, which is more than I can say for most of the other dreck ID is shilling these days.

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 12:18 PM

I don't like Dark Minds either. But that might be because M. William Phelps bugs the shit out of me.

The line forms to the right....

almondroca

almondroca

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 11:26 PM

I like Phelps.. highlights and all. The raven thing feels unnecessary and the same with the other guy. I think I also just like the cold cases with no obvious killer. What I don't like is all the shows where you know it was the husband, boyfriend, wife, best friend.. and they're just trying to drag it out. It gets tedious. I like Deadly Women because the stories are quick, no one is dragging it out. There are stories that deserve a whole hour but too many get stretched to fill time.  

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 6:28 AM

The Raven thing is unnecessary and the other guy should have been gone once Phelps decided he didn't want his killer anymore. But that would destroy their "schtick" and they wouldn't have a show anymore. 

The dragging out of stories is precisely why ID needs to stop with the new shows and concentrate on the ones they have that are great! Put more effort into them, and I bet they'd see better results.

applecrisp

applecrisp

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

I like Phelps too.  I really like him as a talking head, but I don't like the "feel" of Dark Minds.

Edie Wharton

Edie Wharton

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

I've only seen Phelps a couple of times.  On the Israel Keyes episode, it seemed to me that Phelps did little research beyond reading other people's theories on the internet.  I guess I don't follow that show enough to get what his shtick is supposed to be.  But he came off as a blowhard to me.

Hey, Neeney--hope you get better news at your next doctor visit!

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:21 PM

Hey, Neeney--hope you get better news at your next doctor visit!

Thanks!

I guess I don't follow that show enough to get what his shtick is supposed to be.  But he came off as a blowhard to me.

He is a big blowhard. He does do his research, but it really doesn't seem to be anything new, even though he acts like what he found out will break the case wide open! Raven doesn't add anything either. 

JadedOne

JadedOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:35 PM

I'm sure Phelps dead sister in law's family would prefer if he didn't bring her up and how she died all the time. The way he does that makes me want to hold him up by his frosted tips and slap him silly.

almondroca

almondroca

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 12:48 PM

Not necessarily - lots of relatives of missing persons or unsolved murders want any mention - no matter how its mentioned, of their loved one's case. If someone watching Dark Minds looked up the case and could provide information, the family would be eternally grateful. Now, that is not always the case but many times, its true.

Another thing to consider is cases where the crime is solved. A lot of people wonder why relatives will go on camera at all. Why would they want the invasion of privacy? One of the reasons I've been told by the relative is because they want to know that the world cares that their loved one died. 

JadedOne

JadedOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 1:12 PM

The way he mentions it makes my skin crawl. He just gives me the creeps period to the point where it's hard to watch his show and to take him seriously even if the people associated with the cases he profiles appreciate the exposure.

Edited by JadedOne, Apr 13, 2014 @ 1:13 PM.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 1:27 PM

There's a difference between someone wanting people to know their loved one died in a tragic way, and someone like him, who makes it seem like it's all about him, that his sister in law's death needs to be attoned for. It is creepy.

I do appreciate that they do different cases on this show, but they really need to rethink the people who are leads on it. 

Why would they want the invasion of privacy? One of the reasons I've been told by the relative is because they want to know that the world cares that their loved one died. 

And, sad to say, some just want the attention and they'll take it anyway they can get it, even by appearing on shows like this ad naseum. 

Edited by Neeney, Apr 13, 2014 @ 1:28 PM.

TattleTeeny

TattleTeeny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 2:35 PM

I like Phelps too.  I really like him as a talking head, but I don't like the "feel" of Dark Minds.

Sort of the same here. I think Phelps's style is pretty cheesy but I think his heart and intentions are in the right place, and that he's legitimately passionate and educated about what he does, with perhaps a bit of "hoping to be the TV cool guy" thrown in. Sort of like Zac Bagans.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 2:39 PM

Sort of like Zac Bagans.

Who is that?

JadedOne

JadedOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 2:41 PM

Apparently from Google the host of a show called Ghost Adventures.

slensam

slensam

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:45 PM

They doing psychics now. Somebody shoot me.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 11:16 PM

They doing psychics now. Somebody shoot me.

With ghost reenactments.  I thought I needed to change my contacts at first when I saw the first shimmer, but nope.  Ghosts, y'all.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

And they're doing a psychics behind bars one too........or something like that. Hold on! It's gonna be a wild ride.......not. lol

Edited by Neeney, Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:52 AM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:23 AM

ID is the channel that has been airing Deadly Women as long as I've been watching them, they've never been that classy.  The so-called "quality" shows have been the exception for years. 

If the psychic shows aren't well received in the ratings, it will be gone.  I'm not interested in the psychic shows but I'm not going to pretend ID is, or ever has been, above shows like that.

almondroca

almondroca

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

If the psychic shows aren't well received in the ratings, it will be gone.  I'm not interested in the psychic shows but I'm not going to pretend ID is, or ever has been, above shows like that.

Absolutely! I think even the so called straight news shows are not classy by any means. The only redemption with any of them is when they look at unsolved or missing persons cases. There the publicity may actually do some good other than give us a reason to tsk tsk bad behavior -- and be glad it wasn't us.