4-21: "A More Perfect Union" 2013.04.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

95 replies to this topic

momlyd

momlyd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

I hope Alicia goes back to Peter and they live happily ever after. But that is just me selfishly wanting to see more of Chris Noth.

Me, too!

I haven't seen the show for a while - got hijacked by Downton Abbey and then didn't get back into the habit until a couple weeks ago - so I'm not terribly invested in the characters like I was once. i do think that Alicial will go with Cary when he makes the break and am up in the air about whether Robyn or Kalinda join them. It would make another "happy family" if Kalinda goes with them but no drama.

Either way, more Chris Noth, please!!!

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

How demeaning that the writers think this is how and why women vote for a candidate in an election, as opposed to considering which one supports insurance coverage for contraceptives, abortion rights, equal pay in the workplace for equal work, the right to paid family leave, etc. This bizarre framework in which women are swayed not by issues or policy or effectiveness in a candidate but just by "likeablity" and "good husband material" status is so at odds with every other core message of the show, it feels completely out of place.

Given that every four years tens of millions of women vote against their own best interests [for a party that is fairly seen as anti-women, anti-choice, anti-birth control, anti-preventative women's health, list goes on], I do not fault the show for reflecting this sad reality. Most U.S. voters do not sit down and carefully consider the issues before voting; voters are swayed through emotional attack ads, and bits of hearsay they skim online or hear on the news. I thought Alicia played the Charlie Rose interview very smartly. Was it "nice"? No. But Kristeva has been shown to be a pathological liar with possibly a tenuous grip on reality (if he really believes what e is spouting), so I can't feel bad for him at all.

Edited by CleoCaesar, Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:58 PM.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

But Kristeva has been shown to be a pathological liar with possibly a tenuous grip on reality (if he really believes what e is spouting), so I can't feel bad for him at all.

I didn't either, because we know him to be bullying, manipulative, corrupt and uninterested in actual justice. He just wants power, he fights dirty and essentially, the guy is scum.

However, having said that, my comfort level with Alicia doing that relies entirely on the fact that I already know that about Kristeva. I know that about the last thing I'd ever want was to have him as governor, because he's a petty, vengeful man who appears to not actually care about anyone other than himself.

If I was a voter, watching "St. Alicia" participate in an obvious smear attempt against another candidate in such a manner, I think I'd be grossed out. Given what I know about Kristeva, yes, by all means save the voters from him, perhaps by any means necessary. It's just that unless I already knew he was pondscum (and therefore wouldn't be voting for him anyway) Alicia wouldn't come off well in my eyes.

Dahling

Dahling

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Renewing vows with Peter = deciding whether or not to buy her old house back, in terms of plot development. It's been a year and nothing new has happened.

soobsessed

soobsessed

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 1:50 AM

I liked everything about this episode I loved the case of the week too, I'm now "shipping" David Lee and Veronica Loy. Alicia's lovelife plot is cringeworthy. Disliked her interview with Charlie Brown and the significance of his presence was lost on me cause I have no idea who he is. Solid episode, it always is when they bring out Nancy Crozier I never tire of her.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

Yeah, I don't buy the "Peter flings dirt at Kristeva and loses votes, Alicia flings dirt and everyone loves Peter" idea because I can't imagine people wouldn't see Alicia as a mouthpiece for Peter there. We also have to assume that Kristeva has a history of alcoholism beyond the rumour that Peter started on St Patrick's Day (of course, that should have been established in that episode!). Is it realistic? I really have no idea - it would be depressing if elections really worked like that, but that doesn't mean they don't.

As for the ructions within LG - it really does show how Diane & Will might have landed themselves hugely in debt. They might be brilliant in court, but their management style is terrible. They didn't seem to even notice that their secretarial staff were about to mutiny and unionise (and it really does show the contrast between living in Europe and living in the US that "Working to Rule" might be considered a sackable offence!). Even if it would be hypocritical to object to the tactic that brought Alicia to the partnership, I hope this does cause Alicia to jump ship.