4-19: "Sweet Dreams" 2013.04.18 (recap)

• Please log in to reply

188 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

So now it's Blaine's job to put on a superhero costume to fight actual criminal acts? Like what a police officer is paid--not to mention trained--to do?

No-it's Blaine's job as Student Body President to care/do something about what happens in McKinley High if it affects/endangers the students in general and himself in particular and bringing a loaded gun to school definitely qualifies on both counts. When it comes to McKinley High student goverment, it's nice to have a student body President who doesn't enforce ludicrous hair gel bans and/or eat off the floor, whether they throw dinosaur themed-proms or not.

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

I want to respond on a couple of points there, but I'll take it to the Blaine thread.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Re Finn, his so-called "list of demands" to return to ND were ridiculous. Despite his not always expressing it maturely, Will not only had every right to be pissed at Finn, it finally motivated Finn to get off his ass and do something constructive with his life, so his conditional return to ND was petulant. Since Will has a job and a degree, unlike Finn, he should have more say in ND's fate than Finn. Speaking of Finn, him and college are about as compatible as Sue Sylvester and sanity. Finn learned (an oxymoron, I know) that there's much more to college than parties, slip and slide and the Harlem Shake. At least Finn is actually enrolled in college, unlike Puck, who's using it as a crash pad. Puck reminds me of Matthew McConaghey's character in Dazed & Confused, who keeps chasing young girls because they "stay the same age" while he gets older.

Re Rachel, the "special snowflake" treatment continues. She couldn't just be the understudy for Funny Girl-she has to be the "stah." The big-screen version of the show may have been Barbra Streisand's film debut, but it wasn't her first professional acting gig. Even La Streisand had to crawl before she walked, once upon a time. About the Finchel phone scene, I don't know which was worse-her needing Finn's help or her calling Finn's assaulting Brody "romantic." Considering Finn's medicre Hulk routine romantic is another strike against her for me. If I were a broadway producer, when it comes to casting, I wouldn't want to hire someone who eats sleeps and lives Broadway; I would wnat someone with the professional experience to back it up and that's not Rachel IMO.

Edited by DollEyes, Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:49 AM.

josiek

josiek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

Rachel, the "special snowflake" treatment continues. She couldn't just be the understudy for Funny Girl-she has to be the "stah."

Rachel got the part?

If I were a producer I would want a person who I thought could do the job the best no matter what their experience.

Edited by josiek, Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:31 PM.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

Re Roz, while she's not as BSC as Sue, she's pretty close, whether it was bragging about her trip to North Korea, her bigoted potshots at Blaine and Becky or her making them take that ridiculous oath. Roz proved that the peroxide on her head has solidified the crazy in it and the chloride form the swimming pools hasn't helped, either. Shelby's return was basically her being a plot device for Rachel, but in fairness, since Shelby is Rachel's birth mom, it's nice to see her using her maternal instincts in a way that doesn't involve her screwing Puck, plus the duet was nice. As for "Don't Stop Believin'," as iconic as that song is in the Gleeverse, that dream sequence shouldn't have just used the first five-Quinn, Santana, Brittany, Mike, Matt, Sam and Blaine should have been there because they were not only part of ND when she was there, they were also the ones she worked with the most along with the first five. Rachel's getting a callback was especially annoying. That Rachel might get a starring role in a Broadway musical over much more experienced performers when she's just started college is ludicrous. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 29, 2013 @ 11:02 PM.
Off topic

josiek

josiek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 3:43 PM

As for "Don't Stop Believin'," as iconic as that song is in the Gleeverse, that dream sequence shouldn't have just used the first five-

I don't agree it is iconic becasue the pilot scene not the rehashed Regional's version. Rachel remembered that moment cause it solidified glee club going forward and giving her a chance at friends something she wouldn't have had without glee. Plus they lost Regionals with that song version.

Edited by josiek, Apr 28, 2013 @ 3:44 PM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

I just deleted fifteen posts that were badly off-topic. Expressing your opinion about how Rachel should get a Broadway part belongs in the Speculation thread, if not the Fantasy thread.

Maisonette

Maisonette

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

I've just rewatched this episode; it's the last one Cory Monteith was in.  Couple of lines nearly made me shiver.  Mr. Schue tells Finn "Now I see we only have so many days" and Finn tells him "There are just some things you can't come back from."  So very sad - because they were both right, and Cory proved it. 

Still, at the end Finn and Mr. Schue reconciled, Finn seemed to be getting his act together, and his last scene on the phone with Rachel was very sweet.  I'm glad he went out on a good note.

rachmo

rachmo

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 5, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

Finn and Rachel's phone call is also a bit  eerie.

Rachel: I wish you had stayed around a little longer 

Finn: maybe  next time.