Flip or Flop

• Please log in to reply

109 replies to this topic

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 1:04 PM

I don't understand why they are putting these shows on out of prime time on the East Coast (11 and 11:30 pm). It's almost liked they taped a season and weren't getting the ad $$ the network wanted. I also know that they don't always broadcast shows in the order in which they were filmed. It felt like the one with Mom putting up the money might have been their first flip. In shows last week, they had an investor.

I do enjoy seeing what they've done to the houses.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

I actually like this show becasue they aren't selling the flipped houses (right away, at least). It's sort of defeats the purpose of the show but is so true to life. The husband & wife don't bicker either. That's a major plus. I thought it was odd too that it's on so late. I guess my two previous reasons above are the cause. I don't think HGTV likes non sellers and/or couples who don't fight.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

It really surprised me that the more expensive house, that they put so much money into, only had two bathrooms.

It just seems like an upscale house like that would have had a powder room on one of the lower levels, because I assume the 2 bathrooms were on the bedroom floor, and one was the master bath.

JPHarper

JPHarper

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

A  big reason the houses in Whittier and Fullerton were not selling is the price for the  location. For thte money they are asking for those houses, one can find a place at those prices very near the ocean. Why live in Whittier when you can be very close to the ocean??!!

Edited by JPHarper, May 9, 2013 @ 10:50 PM.

scarlett03

scarlett03

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 11:19 PM

The California market (or at least parts of it) is definitely recovered.  I'm in the Bay Area, and prices have gone up like 20% in my county in the last year and a half.  Houses are flying off the market before they even hit the MLS.  Multiple offers, properties going for way over asking.  It's nuts.

I stumbled across Flip or Flop and ended up recording a bunch of episodes.  I really liked it.  The couple seem like nice enough people, and they do a nice job on the homes they renovate.  Then again, I've always liked house flipping shows.

Can we talk about Christina's fake eyelashes?  Not picking on her-- she's gorgeous-- but the eyelashes are a little nuts, even for Orange County.  I mean, she's wearing them to the grocery store with her kid! 

I'll keep watching.  I hope it stays on the air.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 9:57 AM

I think Christina's makeup in general is way overdone. It looks like you could scrape it off with a trowel. The eyelashes - agree - OTT. My husband says she has so much makeup on she looks "ghoulish".

I hope there are more shows too. I like what they've done to the houses.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

I saw my first episode of this last night.  I was enjoying it OK until Tarek brought in his mom for her money.  It was the way he approached her -- "We NEED to borrow money from you.  I know you have an equity line of credit."  At no point did he really ask her.  I hope he pays her back with interest.  And what were they living on, if they sunk all their money into that house?

zenme

zenme

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 12:30 PM

I saw my first episode of this last night.  I was enjoying it OK until Tarek brought in his mom for her money.  It was the way he approached her -- "We NEED to borrow money from you.  I know you have an equity line of credit."  At no point did he really ask her.  I hope he pays her back with interest.  And what were they living on, if they sunk all their money into that house?

Perhaps the actual conversation took place off camera.  I was imagining that they have savings, and then they have checking account money for regular expenses.

I like that we can see everything--from start to finish, all in 30 minutes.  These people don't seem asshole-ish.  I like that went the contractor gives them a quote, they don't immediately try to lowball him, like Armando from Flip that House.  (or is it Flip this House?)  They seem to be friendly and respectful of the contractors.  I also like that we've seen Tarek jump in and actually do some tiling, etc.  It doesn't seem that he's above doing whatever needs to be done.

qtpye

qtpye

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

I am beginning to enjoy the show and the couple much more than I thought I would.  I think in most episode they make a handsome profit, so I hope Tarek has paid his mother back by this point.  I also agree the lady is pretty and does not need all the makeup she sports.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 1:29 PM

They were picked up for another season, and I'm glad they were.
On one house, they didn't stage it, and  I wonder if it was just to save money, and if it would have helped sell it sooner.

I didn't realize that island had to be plumbed and powered.  I figured you could have one just to chop food or eat on.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

Lu1wmi, I didn't get the whole "the island has to be wired & needs plumbing" since I think most islands usually have the exact opposite. I mean I know you can do that to install micowaves and such but it seemed like a deal breaker to them and there was no thought just to have an ordinary island. I found that odd. The show itself is pretty good. A big plus it that don't yel at each other & work well together. They also save money by painting and tend to do "normal" homes. I've added it to my dvr list.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 6:58 AM

When we were house hunting 3 years ago, I commented to our real estate agent in an older home that the island didn't have an electrical outlet. My thought was I would be using it for a stand mixer or other appliance. He told me that at one time in our area islands didn't need to have an outlet, but now code dictated that it did.

I'm glad to hear they've been picked up for another season.

FairleyMoore

FairleyMoore

Channel Surfer

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 9:43 AM

I also enjoy this show and I am glad it is being renewed.  I do have a question: does anyone know why Tarek & Christina purchase their supplies (kitchen & bathroom fixtures, flooring, granite, etc.) from showrooms instead of places like Lowes or Home Depot?  Are the prices at these showrooms cheaper or is there more selection?  I have not seen them purchase anything from any of the national big box stores. I have never flipped a house before so I assumed places Lowes or Home Depot would offer lower prices.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

FairleyMoore, maybe they get a discount for the free publicity? Also, it seems they to a different showroom each time. Of course, they flip houses in all different areas so that might be why. I too would think a Lowes or Home Depot might be cheaper but I don't do house flipping nor am I a contractor. I'm the person who is always hiring the help because I can't do anything. LOL!!

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2013 @ 9:41 PM

does anyone know why Tarek & Christina purchase their supplies (kitchen & bathroom fixtures, flooring, granite, etc.) from showrooms instead of places like Lowes or Home Depot?  Are the prices at these showrooms cheaper or is there more selection? 

Typically the selection is more varied with a range of quality and you can negotiate on pricing at independent showrooms.  For my kitchen reno, I got my tiles from 3 different showrooms but got my cabinets from Ikea and appliances from HD.  I shopped around for it all and that worked out the best for my budget,

LilyBLily

LilyBLily

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

These shows must be shot on a super-minimal budget. They try to convince us that they've suddenly come across a new problem, but they're wearing the same shirts they wore when they "suddenly" discovered the first problem--and both problems would have been visible to them when they walked around the outside of the house before buying it. The episode in which Tarek hits up his mom for money is what I'm referring to in particular. I find it impossible to believe that he or his contractor never noticed the concrete block that had visibly sunk. Of course they noticed. But they saved it for a "sudden" problem scene.

Tarek and his wife, while supposedly weighing the pros and cons, leap into spending a lot more money each time. It's gratifying to see them not cheap out on potential customers by only doing a cosmetic upgrade, but if these houses hadn't sold for way, way over the comps for the area, their flips would have been flops, real financial disasters. Which makes me think that their negotiating skills must be far, far better than their home renovation skills. Too bad we don't see the bidding wars. 

Edited by LilyBLily, Jun 2, 2013 @ 10:23 AM.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 2:35 PM

Until I saw Tarek trying to fill up a swimming pool with rocks and broken concrete, I thought that the flips were probably done well. Now I suspect that they're just slapping lipstick on these pigs and passing on other serious issues.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

Just caught this show last night. I really like the couple - although Tarek is a bit pushy. I suppose he's got the kind of forceful personality necessary to flip houses though. That's such a huge gamble, even in a good market. Both houses they showed last night they made a huge profit on so I'll be interested to see episodes where it doesn't go so well for them.

Also, get the screaming baby out of the shot!! OMG that was awful to hear. They might be used to their screaming brat, but we aren't!

I felt badly for the stager at the Spanish style home. Baby was following them around yelling at the top of her lungs and stager-lady had to pretend she didn't hear and/or didn't mind. I guess when you're asking someone to pay you for a service it's hard to say "Excuse me, could you please put your screaming kid somewhere else? She's giving me a headache."

Until I saw Tarek trying to fill up a swimming pool with rocks and broken concrete, I thought that the flips were probably done well. Now I suspect that they're just slapping lipstick on these pigs and passing on other serious issues.

Well, we know they have to do everything to code. Like how they had to rip out the vents and replace them because of mold or how they had to replace a window because it wasn't big enough for the contractor to crawl through. And I suspect HGTV wouldn't want to have a show where the hosts were cheating on code violations because, who wants a lawsuit? There's probably someone in charge of these shows who makes sure that doesn't happen. But I guess it's perfectly OK to bury the concrete from the torn-out pool under the ground, legally.

In as much as any of these shows are faked, I did notice that one of the potential "buyers" at the open house was the same guy who was at the auction, so LOL for random extras hired to play multiple roles.

jalapeno

jalapeno

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 10:53 PM

In as much as any of these shows are faked, I did notice that one of the potential "buyers" at the open house was the same guy who was at the auction, so LOL for random extras hired to play multiple roles.

Both houses they showed last night they made a huge profit on so I'll be interested to see episodes where it doesn't go so well for them.

Have any of their flips not ended on a positive note? I admittedly haven't seen every episode. But each one I have seen ends in what feels like a fakeish happy ending regardless of the challenges.

One of the original flipping shows, Property Ladder, had a bunch of manipulated endings which turned out differently when curious people on this board started researching the facts. Like seemingly profitable sales as shown on the show which in reality fell out of contract. This show reeks of the same manipulation to me. Especially with the final voiceover of the main guy using the catch phrase "now ON to the next flip!"

Edited by jalapeno, Jun 12, 2013 @ 10:54 PM.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

Some of the episodes have ended without a sale, so it's not all happy endings.

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

Some of the episodes have ended without a sale, so it's not all happy endings.

That's real estate!!!!

I really like this show...no manufactured drama....no lowballing contractors....no unrealistic budgets and deadlines....I have a real estate marketing business, so I love watching all things real estate (even on HGTV!).

FOF takes the much needed high road of shows of this genre. Glad to see they're coming back for another season! YAY!

Edited by queenofsnark, Jun 13, 2013 @ 9:50 AM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 1:12 PM

I really like this show...no manufactured drama....no lowballing contractors....no unrealistic budgets and deadlines....I have a real estate marketing business, so I love watching all things real estate (even on HGTV!).

I thought Tarek was low-balling the contractor in that episode where they ripped out the pool. He was haggling, at any rate - every price the contractor quoted Tarek tried to counter downwards. Then when they were paying for the tile he asked if he could get a discount. He was just this side of annoying. Admittedly, he probably has to be that pushy to make a profit, which is why I could never flip houses. And he did have a decent sense of humor about himself and pitched in to help lay the sod, so that balances him out somewhat.

queenofsnark

queenofsnark

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

I thought Tarek was low-balling the contractor in that episode where they ripped out the pool. He was haggling, at any rate - every price the contractor quoted Tarek tried to counter downwards.

Then when they were paying for the tile he asked if he could get a discount. He was just this side of annoying. Admittedly, he probably has to be that pushy to make a profit, which is why I could never flip houses. And he did have a decent sense of humor about himself and pitched in to help lay the sod, so that balances him out somewhat. 

That usually goes with the territory. Some contractors will try to do as little work for as much money as they can possibly get! So I don't have a problem with that. Tarek still gets a good deal and the contractor is happy as well.

I was thinking of Armando Montelongo and Scott Yancy of the Fipping franchise. They buy homes that should condemned on a good day and expect to have them flipped for less than it would cost to bulldoze the places.

midvale

midvale

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 2:04 AM

Imonrey, what I wonder is what would have happened had the contractor not stopped Tarek from filling the pool and covering up the hole? Has he already done this before? Apparently, you can't do that, you have to pull up the pool. So I wonder if there are any back yards out there with sinkholes in them because someone chose not to fill a hole with dirt but used broken concrete instead.

LilyBLily

LilyBLily

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 18, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

For a half-hour show, this plays as extremely padded. The repetition makes seeing all but about five minutes near the end pointless.

FairleyMoore

FairleyMoore

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

LilyBLily,

I agree with you 100%

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 19, 2013 @ 3:12 PM

It looks like 13 episodes were filmed, and I have now seen just four of them. I'm assuming they are in repeats now. The two I saw last night were "Underwater Flip" - where they bought the house in Cypress that didn't sell by the end of the episode. I thought they were fools to buy it after they realized how bad the plumbing problem was. This was an unusual episode in that they didn't buy it at auction. It failed to sell at auction and went back on the regular market. They foolishly thought they could get over $700K for it, but it was very close to a neighborhood with much lower priced homes. As realtors, they should surely realize you don't want to have the most expensive home in your neighborhood.

I really wonder how much of a career either made of being realtors before they started flipping houses. They might have both had their licenses, but I suspect they relied on some other job as their primary income, especially Tarek. It's one thing when they buy a house at auction, sight unseen, but to be able to tour it first like any other house on the market then still buy it seems awfully naive.

Also saw the Vandalized Foreclosure episode. Wow, whoever owned that house really did a number on it. They never really said whether they knew it was the previous owners or just someone who broke in and trashed the place. Most likely the former, but in that case, couldn't they sue? I'm surprised they got $15K insurance money for repairs, although I'm unclear on whether that was their homeowner's insurance or the previous owner's. I wouldn't think homeowner's insurance would cover damage already done to the property at the time you bought it.

RE - the padding of the episodes - all HGTV shows do this. I don't know why. HGTV apparently assumes a large portion of their audience tunes into an episode midway through and needs a recap after every commercial break. Maybe their market research told them most people discover these shows flipping through the channels.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 8:50 PM

no manufactured drama

Tarek is the drama king!  All his sighing, eyerolling, almost temper tantruming every time something comes up.  And the wife?  With the caked on make-up?  Leave the screaming kid at home.   Every show has the same drama ---- if THIS house doesn't sell for $X, then they will lose ALL their money and have to start over.  Every show has that in it.  So while I appreciate no manufactured drama with the contractors like Armando on the other house flipping show or Hilary on LIOLI, there's fake drama.

jalapeno

jalapeno

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:57 PM

Tarek is the drama king!  All his sighing, eyerolling, almost temper tantruming every time something comes up.  And the wife?  With the caked on make-up?  Leave the screaming kid at home.   Every show has the same drama ---- if THIS house doesn't sell for $X, then they will lose ALL their money and have to start over.  Every show has that in it.  So while I appreciate no manufactured drama with the contractors like Armando on the other house flipping show or Hilary on LIOLI, there's fake drama.

I just watched the 2 episodes from tonight's schedule and you are right on the money with this assessment.

I've seen enough episodes of this show now to safely feel like I can lump this flip show in with the rest. From the blond girl's trendy outfits, bleached white teeth and fake eyelashes to walk a run down smelly property...to the road blocks thrown in their path (Oh no! Lead based paint which must be removed and transported away professionally! I'm never going to make my money back NOW!)...to blond girl showing up during crunch time to insist on extra changes (no, Tarek, we CAN'T keep this fence!)...and on and on and on...

And YET, even when comps show differently, the property is listed well over what one would expect and SURPRISE! Multiple offers!!! Over asking!!! They probably threw in 1 episode with an unperfect ending out of the 13 filmed to keep viewers from thinking it is all fake drama.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

Well, I really like Tarek and Christina, so that's the appeal for me. And I don't think Christina wears too much makeup; she's blonde and very fair and probably has her makeup done for TV. It's not like she's Tammy Faye Baker.

I'm not naive enough about these HGTV show to think it's all real. I suspect they've already purchased the property before filming begins. And they already know exactly what they're getting into, so the "surprises" that are thrown their way are actually well known to them. On the other hand, some of it probably does come up during filming, since we get to see the remodeling process from start to finish. And they both make really smart choices.

Love it or List it is way worse. After I watched about four of those I realized it was always the same story - Hillary promises some kind of remodel then some awful structural thing comes up that has to be fixed just to bring the house to code and surprise, the home owners don't get their new kitchen or new bathroom or finished basement or whatever. And half the time they still decide to keep it anyway.

The thing about that show, and House Hunters and Property Virgins, is that the home owners are playing a little game of make believe. They already own the house before the filming even begins. It's completely fake. The home owners on LIOLI probably only go on the show to get some free remodeling work done. At least with Flip or Flop, Tarek and Christina are actually doing what they claim to be doing - buying distressed houses and flipping them.