Broadchurch: Forbrydelsen Goes British

• Please log in to reply

1260 replies to this topic

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:43 PM

Board search is disabled, but I'm pretty sure via Google no thread exists yet.

From Futon Critic:

The drama centers on the investigation into the murder of a young boy in a British seaside town. Leading the investigation are two detectives, strong yet compassionate local Detective Sergeant, Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman), and newcomer Detective Inspector Alec Hardy (David Tennant), a by-the-book investigator and just appointed as Ellie's boss. By circumstance they are partnered to solve the murder, keeping the newspapers from derailing the investigation and trying to prevent the crime impacting tourism at the beach where the boy was murdered. The cast also includes Jodie Whittaker as Beth, Andrew Buchan as Mark, Will Mellor playing Stephen Turner and sees Arthur Darvill as the town priest Paul Coates.

"Broadchurch focuses on a small British community which finds itself at the eye of a storm. In the wake of one boy's death, the residents of Broadchurch come under scrutiny and suspicion," said Chris. "It's a story of scale and intimacy, as the lives of the characters are laid bare," he added.

I believe this is currently airing in the UK, and the article goes on to say that...

January 5, 2013 - BBC AMERICA today announced the acquisition of the eight part ensemble drama Broadchurch starring David Tennant, Olivia Colman, Vicky McClure and Arthur Darvill. The series explores what happens to a small community when it suddenly becomes the focus of a major murder investigation and is subjected to the full glare of the media spotlight. Broadchurch will premiere as part of BBC AMERICA's groundbreaking drama block, Dramaville, in 2013.

No specific date for US airing yet, though.

Edited by kieyra, Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:44 PM.

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 6:42 PM

I've been watching this. Episode 8 airs on April 22nd. I like it. During the first episode I thought 8 episodes might be too much and it would drag, but it doesn't. David Tennant is very good as a twitchy, socially awkward DI, so if nothing else, he's worth watching.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

I had searched for a Broadchurch topic a few weeks ago, and was disappointed not to find anything. Thanks for starting it, kieyra.

I've been watching this, and as mdumont mentions, the first episode dragged a bit. But I'm anxious to learn what happens - I can't believe it's only one more episode!

The actors who play the parents are fantastic, and I really am enjoying Arthur Darvill in his role.

Some good interviews are on YouTube, including one where Olivia Coleman talks about the Whovians who were camped out to see DT during filming. She mentioned an incident where there was a car rear-ended because someone was distracted by "look, there's David Tennant!"

Hopefully there is more discussion when it airs in America.

Edited by mledawn, Apr 17, 2013 @ 9:43 PM.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 10:06 PM

Oh, I'm glad to see this. I've been watching it as well. It's really good. And pretty much everything the Killing should have been. I am stumped as to who the killer(s) might be. And I love seeing DT be a frazzled, frustrated kind of broken man without the ability to regenerate :). Never heard of Olivia Coleman before this but I like her.

Seeing DT and Darville together just made me long to see Ten and Rory interact...sigh.

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

The actors who play the parents are fantastic

Yes, they are. I really liked Andrew Buchan in Garrow's Law so I was interested to see what he would do in a contemporary role. He doesn't disappoint.

Omnomnomicon

Omnomnomicon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

Without getting into spoiler bars (I suspect they will want us not to reveal plot points since a US airing is on the horizon):

I checked out the pilot episode. The Forbrydelsen comparison seems apt, including some similarities in direction, timing and even music. I loved Forbrydelsen, though, so this isn't really a complaint. I did feel it went slightly OTT in trying to ratchet up the tension the way Forbrydelsen was so good at.

I also noticed a weird edit misshap in the pilot: Mom (in red dress) is running down the town street, not really approaching the beach yet. Scene shifts to the female inspector walking on the beach. For one shot, you can see what is clearly Mom in the red dress, running onto the beach in the distance behind her. Focus shifts (I think to David Tennant), then back to female inspector. Mom in red dress is no longer on the beach behind her. Finally, we shift back to Mom, who is actually still jogging through the 'town' part of town and not yet at the beach. I don't normally notice this stuff, but they went out of their way with the imagery of 'Mom running through town in red dress', so she was very obvious in the background for the shot in which she was obviously out of place/sequence.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Man, after watching Spies of Warsaw and being disappointed in that drama featuring David Tennant, I'm a little gun shy watching another drama with him in a leading role. But everyone's comments seem positive so I guess I'll give it a shot.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

The actors who play the parents are fantastic,

I agree. All the acting has been really strong, but they, especially the mum have been the highlight for me.

BoffleBobbie

BoffleBobbie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 12:16 AM

Yes, the actors are great, really a lot of depth to all the characters. Enjoying how they all have secrets, but not all are to do with the death, or are they? Some people are clearly lying but then part of what they say might be true. And not sure about motives either, for the people who seem most likely culprits.
Spoiler
references but I suspect those are red herrings. Can't wait to find out the truth.

drossdragon

drossdragon

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:05 AM

Thanks for starting the thread, I too was missing it on TWOP.

I love this series and have been watching it via the Internet Fairies. It's wonderful acting in a story that wouldn't surprise most mystery readers, but they've kept the suspense by having believable suspects and a very opaque murder victim. I can't believe the last episode is coming up so soon.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 5:11 PM

Yay! A Broadchurch thread! Now all we need is a thread for The Village and we'll be set!

I've watched diligently and regularly all the way through Episode 7 and I still have no idea who did it. Well, let me amend that. All along, they've raised theories that have fallen apart, and in Episode 7 they raised some motivey-thingys that tied back to early episodes that made me go, 'Hmmm....." and that, this late in the game, surely have something to do with the solution. I've read interviews with the actors where they said they weren't told the solution themselves until they were almost done with filming, but that all the clues are laid out there in in front of us, and we'll be slapping ourselves on the forehead once we learn who did it.

EllyF

EllyF

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 6:14 AM

I'm really liking this one. I'm admittedly a David Tennant fangirl, but that doesn't mean I invariably like his acting-- I've seen him miss a time or two. But in this drama, he's doing a very good job, as is the rest of the cast. I'm almost certain I know who the culprit is, which means I'm almost certain to be wrong, as I have never figured out a murder mystery successfully:-). Still, I've enjoyed it and am sorry it's almost over.

rove3

rove3

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:04 AM

No specific date for US airing yet, though.

Well, damn. I really want to to watch this for Tennant's sake even though I too found Spies of Warsaw disappointing.

And it has Rory in it too!

Edited by rove3, Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:06 AM.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

Just finished the last episode. I had it narrowed down to two people
Spoiler

Spoiler

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

SOOOOO glad it wasn't
Spoiler

mdumont

mdumont

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

I just watched the last episode. Altogether really well done.

Spoiler

Edited by mdumont, Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:20 PM.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

I didn't like how
Spoiler

Found this on YouTube - it's a deleted scene from the finale,
Spoiler

Also, did the credits allude to
Spoiler

Edited by mledawn, Apr 22, 2013 @ 8:55 PM.

kieyra

kieyra

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Hmmm. Finale spoilers.

Spoiler

I will say that as a US viewer (albeit frequent consumer of UK television) that I really struggled with Tennant's Scottish accent at times. It was like trying to decipher Chibs on Sons of Anarchy.

HoneyB

HoneyB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 9:42 PM

I am glad that it wasn't
Spoiler

BoffleBobbie

BoffleBobbie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Good resolution to a well-told story. I was only sorry that the killer was
Spoiler

I'm a US viewer who had no problem at all with Tennant's Scots delivery, in fact it was a real treat to listen to, with those elongated vowels and trilling r's. Beautfiul and so expressive. I hope he and his countrymen get the oppportunity to use it more often so people can get used to it.

Edited by BoffleBobbie, Apr 22, 2013 @ 10:01 PM.

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 10:24 PM

Spoiler

ITV has indeed announced a second series, though I have no idea how on earth they'll do it without just completely rebooting and telling a new mystery somewhere else.

Oh, and one other thing: Andrew Buchan was great throughout, but I kept getting distracted by how he's a dead ringer for the guy who plays Pistol Pete the basketball star on Parks & Recreation. I even checked IMDb after the first episode to make sure Tuc Watkins wasn't just doing a marvelous American accent in Pawnee.

swansong

swansong

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Spoiler

But all in all I thought it was well-done and the acting was really strong. I thought the parents and Ellie were particularly strong. I took a while to warm up to DT and his character, but he grew on me and I thought his scenes with Ellie especially were really strong in the last episode. I'm not sure how they'll make a second season without basically repeating themselves, but I guess we'll see.

EllyF

EllyF

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2013 @ 6:59 AM

I didn't have any trouble with Tennant's accent, but I've heard it on behind-the-scenes Who stuff, so maybe I've gotten used to it. It's a lovely accent and I hope he gets to use it more often.

I had guessed the killer correctly (amazingly for me-- I never even get "Castle" right!) without having read any spoilerish stuff or speculation. So I'm thinking it must have been fairly obvious. I liked that they didn't delay the reveal till the very end, thus giving enough time for the story to wrap up properly.

Overall, I enjoyed it and will look forward to the second series, assuming Tennant and Colman are involved.

Edited by EllyF, Apr 23, 2013 @ 7:00 AM.

mledawn

mledawn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

Overall, I enjoyed it and will look forward to the second series, assuming Tennant and Colman are involved.

I agree - on all points, sadly, as I can't imagine how they'll do a part 2, and I really can't imagine how Hardy and Miller will be involved.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2013 @ 4:35 PM

I read an idea that Hardy and Miller could launch their own private investigation company.  I think that could work as long as their chemistry remains intact.  I liked how they were antagonistic, but trying to be professionally cordial.

Spoiler

Edited by GreenPhoenix, May 17, 2013 @ 4:36 PM.

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

BBCA ran a promo during the DW season finale, listing the Broadchurch US premiere date as August 7. That's a bit later in the summer than I'd expected, but at least it looks like they plan to promote the heck out of it.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

I just marathoned this today and really enjoyed it. I had no idea who the killer was going to be. The cast was great.

jatg61

jatg61

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2013 @ 4:40 PM

I'm excited to see this in America!  I know people in the UK who speak very highly of this series and its cast, and the premise sounds intriguing.  

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 3:20 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Indeg, May 22, 2013 @ 3:21 AM.

hlisy

hlisy

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2013 @ 6:14 AM

Hope the DVDs are out soon.