Central Park Five

• Please log in to reply

68 replies to this topic

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

Apparently Lederer is still a prosecutor (!) - as well as an adjunct professor at Columbia Law School. If you google her, there's a story that some of the students there are petitioning to remove her from the faculty. Good for them.

Enychica

Enychica

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

My issue with Meilli being upset with Oprah is that Oprah wasn't the first person or only one to ask her that question so why single Oprah out. She went on Oprah to answer questions. Only a fool would think that this question wouldn't be asked and if she is so sensitive about it then that was something to request Oprah NOT to ask beforehand.

Imo, these questions to Meilli and the CP5 need to be asked and answered for everyone to hear because the answers serve as cautionary tales. The answers for all are the same, they made a mistake and foolishly disregarded things they knew (or shouldve known) better and found themselves in a position to be harmed and violated by others. And those bearing witness to their answers might take heed and try to avoid the same errors in judgement because its only through the grace of God that both Meilii and the CP5 have seen some justice for the terrible things that were done to them.

When the CP5 case happened, my mom who actually protested on their behalf, told me "see, thats why I tell you what I tell you". She was pissed they didnt leave the park as soon as they saw the unruly crowd. She was mad they talked to the police at all and werent trained to say nothing no matter what. She certainly wasn't blaming the boys for what happened to them, she was saying - as historically many black mothers feel they have to - that "we" must be particularly careful and diligent because bad things happen when were not. We don't have the luxury of talking about what we're entitled to do because being entitled to do it ain't gonna help you when your dead. Her message was even stronger to my brother and I joined her on drilling it into his head having seen what happened to the CP5, Micheal Griffith, Yusef Hawkins, Willie Turks, the list goes on and on.

Edited by Enychica, May 2, 2013 @ 10:24 PM.

mw00

mw00

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

Everybody knows Central Park or any dark area in this city for that matter is dangerous. I don't think asking that question is an indictment on her or means the person asking the question feels she deserved to be raped. That like saying 1+1=3. It doesn't. Those boys shouldn't have been in the Park either to be honest. But unfortunately for all 6 of them they were, and their lives were forever changed because of it.

Spot on. Both the CP5 and the jogger were unnecessarily in harm's way by being in that park at that time. Part of my upbringing certainly included lessons on not being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Meaning-if you as a black person are anywhere near trouble, you will get blamed, so do your best to be out of the picture. Fight breaks out? Don't stand and watch. Kids are being loud and rowdy on the street? Get off the block. Someone's got drugs in the car? Get out. etc. etc. You have got to watch where you are and who you are with, at all times.

Those young men didn't have a chance, by virtue of who they were, where they were, what they WERE doing (hanging with kids who were committing crimes) and who was victimized.
As he described in the Times Talk, Antron is pretty smart in now advising his own kids to be extremely careful. He unfortunately, learned from injustice.

Edited by mw00, May 3, 2013 @ 6:12 AM.

Enychica

Enychica

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

I think it was Santana's father who sent him to the park thinking it'd be safer than him being on the block, per the documentary. He was really regretful about that choice.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Apparently Lederer is still a prosecutor (!) - as well as an adjunct professor at Columbia Law School. If you google her, there's a story that some of the students there are petitioning to remove her from the faculty. Good for them.

Here's more on the petition from Ta-Nehisi Coates at the Atlantic Monthly. Ken Burns has come out against it.

"It is just simple retribution, and we are appalled by it," he said. "We don't subscribe to any of it."

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

They should remove her from Columbia. She has proven herself to be without integrity. A person like that doesn't deserve to teach.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 7:09 PM

Does anyone know if their records have been expunged? One of the more outrageous aspects of wrongful convictions is often the wronged party still has a record and is therefore prevented from getting work, voting, etc. 

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2014 @ 1:41 AM

Looks like there may be a little light at the end of this awful tunnel.

imjagain

imjagain

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2014 @ 6:33 PM

That is great news! It has taken far too long.