Naked Castaway

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

From the Discovery Channel website:

Former British Army Captain Ed Stafford was the first person ever to walk the length of the Amazon River, but surviving completely alone on a deserted island is his biggest adventure yet. Can he last 60 days on an uninhabited Fijian island with absolutely nothing? No survival tools, no rations, no clothes, no film crew. Itís a daunting challenge and nobodyís ever done it before.

In fierce tropical heat Ed has only hours to find water before dehydration ends his attempt before itís begun. He must master the island Ė and his fears - to find food and water, light fire, build a proper shelter, and progress from mere survival to the point where he could stay forever.

Filmed entirely by Ed himself, thereís never been a more authentic survival series on TV.

Anyone else catch this show? Sunday is kind of an odd night for a Discovery Channel series premier, typically weekends are given over to reruns.

I do wonder if the various survival experts keep uping the ante to determine who has the biggest nuts. I mean, jeez, Cody Lundeen from Dual Survival may go barefoot, but at least he wears clothes! Les Stroud from Survivorman doesn't use a camera crew, but at least he wears clothes! Bear Grylles from Man vs. Wild occasionally (and memorably) gave us naked jumping jacks, but after that he put his clothes back on! That being said, I got into the show after a while, and I'll probably stick around for a few more episodes.

Edited by Quilt Fairy, Apr 14, 2013 @ 11:24 PM.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 12:12 AM

I just happened upon this show literally 30 seconds before it started, so it was a total surprise to me. I liked it a lot and already look forward to the second episode.

But I must have missed something because, where did he get the flip-flops? I saw him unearth the shirt, but not the shoes. Also, where'd he get those baskets hanging on the cave wall? And how are they hanging there?

I hope things aren't conveniently planted there for him to luckily discover, things that will be invaluable to him.

Looks like a fun time ahead!

HurricaneVal

HurricaneVal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 2:30 PM

Dang it! I missed it... Oh well, it is Discovery, I'm sure I'll be able to catch it on a repeat later in the week.

Wait...he was really naked? I thought that was metaphorical because he was truly abandoned with no fancy gear or food, like Jamie Oliver's Naked Chef series was about just a chef and the ingredients.

I really liked Les Stroud's Survivorman series because it really was just him and the elements and whatever "gear" he could reasonably forage. Bear Gryll's show was fun too, but you never lost sight of the fact that he was hauling a whole crew with him, so it didn't have the immediacy of Survivorman. So this show seems to fall further toward that end of the spectrum. Looking forward to watching!

Quilt Fairy

Quilt Fairy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

Wait...he was really naked?

Oh yes, indeed he was. The warning before the show started said: "If naked buttocks offend you, please avert your eyes"

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

I enjoyed this but feel slightly skeptical. I wonder if it's as real as it's sold. I want to think it is. The washed up trash is convenient but I can imagine that it happens. I almost missed the mismatched ill fitting flip flops but my kids caught them. I would've liked to have seen his reaction to finding those. The fire excitement was pretty amazing. I think the mental struggle will be the most difficult & depending on how edited the most difficult to watch. I'll definitely keep watching though.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:54 PM

I too thought the title "Naked Castaway" refered to the fact that he had no provisions, not that he was actually naked.

I'll probably never get washed up on a desert island, but I thought he priorities were somewhat askew. My first priority would be find water (the goats weren't drinking out of the ocean), make a shelter, build a fire, and find a way to trap a goat for food. He's been there almost two weeks (13 days), and has accomplished almost none of these. He spent a lot of energy to cut down a tree to knock down coconuts, gathering snails, and busting open coconuts, but little else.

Also, knowing the goats visit the beach, leaving the roots (taro, I think) to dry out in the sun was very risky.

Should be interesting to see where he goes from here. I'll be watching the next few episodes, at least.

Heynow99

Heynow99

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

I am a bit skeptical about this show too. Survivorman has been my favorite out of all of these shows.

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 2:09 PM

Well, this series is over, and I was underwhelmed.

Some parts were pretty stupid. Trying to catch a goat with only one arrow (one arrow will not down a goat, it may wound it, but not kill it), the effort and time in building a shelter (only to abandon it), and the pure luck of a goat tangled in the beach vines.

I'm not doubting his survivor skills, but he didn't seem to use them in a logical way.

MacMom

MacMom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

I was called away from the show for a bit and when I returned, he had a missing front tooth! What happened?

nottopbravo

nottopbravo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

MacMom, I also wondered when this would happen as it was showed in the previews of upcoming episodes.

As it happened, he picked a fruit that wasn't quite ripe (I believe it was a mango), bit into it, and broke his dental appliance which I believe was for one of his front teeth.

slasherboy

slasherboy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

That was it? Three episodes? I missed the last, and apparently final, episode and have no desire to see it. Oh well, major disappointment.

technorebel

technorebel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

Only 3 episodes in 60 days of shooting? I've never heard of this guy before. He really came across as a whiner to me. I find it hard to believe that he spent two years walking the Amazon River. I can picture him whining his way from one tribe to another. They were probably forced to take care of him. Not impressed with his survival skills at all.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2014 @ 10:25 PM

They are showing this on Animal Planet right now (interesting choice). I had never heard of it, thought it was going to be something new and a take-off of Naked & Afraid. I keep thinking sitting on rocks and plants and stuff with your bare bottom has got to be scratchy. Same with covering with those grasses as blanket at night. And wouldn't that be especially scratchy on the naughty bits?