11-13: "Finale, Part I" 2013.04.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

245 replies to this topic

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

In this round (but not necessarily in all the rounds beforehand), Patricia deserved to go through, no question. But she also deserved every bit of critic she got from Nina, and a little bit more imho.
I'm still trying to figure out if Heidi is really so intrigued by Patricia, or if her "you can win this" and TG "You are the one to beat" towards Stanley are actually a gigantic smokescreen to conceal the fact that Michelle's work is head and shoulders above what everyone else had to offer. After all, they have to make the finale suspenseful somehow, haven't they? They spend the last episode constantly pulling Michelle down (btw: Marie Claire features an interview with Jordana Brewster on it's website, with two photos...in one she wears what looks like the jacket Stanley made, but nothing else from his design...instead she is featured in a white shirt and pants), always emphasising on her "scrappy status". Not that I dispute that, but the only reason Michelle had such a hard time during the competition at all, was because they gave her a hard time over BS.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:03 PM

always emphasising on her "scrappy status"

After the last episode, this made more sense. Although I knew she was invovled with the wine industry, I didn't realize she spent so little time dedicated to fashion. Although it may seem that this is a way to put her down before raising her up, it could also be that the judges, Nina in particular, sees Michelle, in her design rather than her personality, as an outside trying to crash the party. (I'm glad that the travesty of the previous episode is no longer relevant.)

I'm still trying to figure out if Heidi is really so intrigued by Patricia

Heidi has some questionable tastes, but I think her appreciation of Patricia is not without merit. As a producer, Heidi wants something exciting, something that neither Daniel nor Layana offered. Even if three collections were really going to be shown on PR's Fashion Week runway, HK wants to show that Project Runway is a vibrant force in fashion, not afraid to take risks. Could "Patricia win it all?" If I squint, I might say yes. (Of course, I know better. Heidi only saw the best three looks.)

Edited by Bad Thoughts, Apr 24, 2013 @ 3:18 PM.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Patricia's appeal isn't just a matter of being new or unique: she actually gets people thinking about design and techniques.

IMO if she gets people thinking about anything, it's fabrics and textures. Design and technique are what's missing from her work.

SFNative

SFNative

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 12:13 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing the designers' full collections, but I can totally predict the end result:

Second runner-up: Stanley is praised for his taste level, sophistication, and tailoring, but ultimately the judges find that his work skews old and isn't innovative enough
First runner-up: Patricia is applauded for her creativity and the fresh voice she brings to fashion, but her collection isn't cohesive enough, she's more of a fabric designer than a clothing designer, and her work isn't wearable
Winner: Michelle! The judges tell us that her collection is edgy, young, and a great mix of commercial sprinkled with bold editorial moments.

I will be pretty bummed when/if Michelle wins, but honestly there wasn't a single designer this season that I thought had spectacular talent. Can you imagine if Christian Siriano were part of the group? Not one of this season's contestants had half his talent. He would have laughed his ass off as he won every single challenge. Or how about Uli, or Chris March, or Michael Knight, Jay McCarroll (sp), or Mondo? I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the best past designers, but my point is that this was a mediocre group from the beginning. I won't remember a single one of their designs after the season is over -- actually, I can barely remember them now. In stark contrast, I can immediately call to mind Uli's blue/green dress with the keyhole and the picture she took of her model wearing it with street performers, or Chris and Christian's collaboration with the giant shoulder piece, or Michael Knight's hot pink top/shorts combo. The designers from this season? It was a sad group from the start.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 2:51 AM

I think that Michelle would have been able to hold her own against a lot of the designers you mentioned. She has a very strong point of view, and above all, an eye for balance...I personally like her work way better than who Mondo or Chris March had to offer.
I'm not sure how sad the group really was, either. When was the last time we at least saw three previews of something you really could put on the runway? Though, it might have helped that they had a little bit more time to prepare their collections than some of the previous finalists.

Bebecat

Bebecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

I think Patricia was always meant for the finals, so as to be able to include the Taos Reservation in an episode, as something different. It is TV, after all.