11-7: "Fifteen Chefs Compete" 2014.04.16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:14 PM

Bwaha, me too on the Nedra bra support report.

"I lived in Asia for a year." Okay, Asia is a big place. I doubt most people in Turkmenistan or Israel know much about cooking Chinese food.

WORD. Weird that Dan said that he lived in, "Asia." Seems like he would have said where. Sounds fishy. And he said it more than once.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Perhaps Dan didn't mention a specific country where he lived because maybe he lived in a bunch of different countries.

I suspect Ramsay chose a woman to go because the guys have already lost quite a few members. The jackets thing was stupid though. I predicted pretty much the moment he explained it that they'd all magically get their jackets back before elimination that night. We should give Ramsay credit though since it really wasn't anything he had "never ever done before ever."

Whichever VIP diner it was that got up to leave in the promo probably said that as he was leaving after he finished his meal....

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:47 PM

Odd that it came down to chow mein and Anthony had never cooked that before.

Chef Yan was so cute and animated when he announced who got each point.

Dan, what a flaming asshole. "Bitches" "Skanks" not cool. Good thing he lived in "Asia" for a year since his dish didn't get the freakin point.

Paintball... hmm...is the "reward" geared to the winning team's gender? Because I don't see the ladies, had they won, getting overly excited about paintball.

I thought the balut egg was pretty terrible. Also, why is that a food? I never heard of before this show. That goes over the line for me as, "things to do to the losing team." Little beaks and feathers? Really? REALLY? You don't eat those on full grown chickens, why would you eat a baby one? Making folks eat testicles is another thing, but I don't want to get myself started.

Word on Ray and Dan and their jackets when they both lost the point, even though the blue team won.

I don't want to go back and rewatch. Did Nedra and or Mary win their point in the challenge?

I could have done without the chain reaction vomit circle.

Edited by ari333, Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:45 PM.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

1. Dan is a jackass.  Also - Be a man? Judging from the competition so far, if anyone wants to get their jacket back, they'd have a better shot being a woman.

2. Martin Yan is adorable, and he's been educating people about food since before it was fashionable, bless his heart.

3. On what canned food planet is chow mein a traditional chinese dish?

Edited by jmhm, Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:59 PM.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

3. On what canned food planet is chow mein a traditional chinese dish?

Thank you! Just off the top of my head, I thought chow mein was a made up dish for Americans.

I have to say something about the women calling each other 'bitches.' This actually seems like a team that is trying to be supportive and nice to each other. Yes, sometimes someone messes up and they'll get called out for it, but in general, there's hugging, hand rubbing, all kinds of signs that they aren't trying to be mean to each other at this stage of the competition.

Then why call themselves bitches? I came of age just after the beginning of the women's movement. 'Bitch' is a very political term for me. I don't think women should call each other bitches in regular conversation. 'Come on, bitches!' 'Bitches, let's get to work!' Why? What's wrong with 'women,' or 'ladies'? Is this a generational thing? Am I the only one bothered by the use of the word?

And yeah, it was great to see Martin Yan again; I must have missed him on Iron Chef and haven't seen him for awhile. I spent many a Saturday afternoon watching him chop veg.

Sullen

Sullen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

I don't think women should call each other bitches in regular conversation. 'Come on, bitches!' 'Bitches, let's get to work!' Why? What's wrong with 'women,' or 'ladies'? Is this a generational thing? Am I the only one bothered by the use of the word?

That bothers me, too. If this were a group of more thoughtful people I'd think they were trying to reclaim the word, but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. I'm guessing they don't really understand the connotation and just think it's cool to call each other bitches. The men, on the other hand, know exactly what the word is intended to convey and they use it far too much, with very little reason.

AnnaJul

AnnaJul

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

It's finally occurred to me what really bugs me about this show. They give too much air time to the losers. Who have been the focus of the last few shows? Nedra? Dan? Ray? Jeremy. It's clear that it's only a matter of time before Dan and Ray are gone. Nedra is NOT going to be the new head chef of Gordon Ramsay's blahbiddy blah...

When it does come down to the end, the winning chefs have traditionally been people we barely know, because they aren't controversial. They don't act like fools and they don't make mistakes, so they get no air time. People like Amanda, Cyndi or Ja'nel on the red team. On the blue, Anthony or Jon. Who? You say? Exactly.

Edited by AnnaJul, Apr 18, 2013 @ 1:17 PM.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

True but once all the fodder is gone we will finally get to see more of those contestants you mentioned and see what they can really do.

And I also agree women really shouldn't go around calling each other bitches in the same way black people call each other "nigga." It just gives men permission to call women bitches because they think it's okay if women are okay with using the word.

Edited by BogoGog24, Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:37 PM.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

Perhaps Dan didn't mention a specific country where he lived because maybe he lived in a bunch of different countries.

It's more likely that he just didn't live in China.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 7:38 PM

It's more likely that he just didn't live in China.

This. Dan's not a subtle guy. I think if he had some way to make himself look relevant to the challenge, he would have brought it out.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

I thought the balut egg was pretty terrible. Also, why is that a food? I never heard of before this show. That goes over the line for me as, "things to do to the losing team." Little beaks and feathers? Really? REALLY? You don't eat those on full grown chickens, why would you eat a baby one?

Balut is considered a delicacy in certain Asian countries, such as the Philippines, although it's usually duck embryos, rather than chicken, that are eaten there.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:36 AM

So, Barret says that at 51 years old, a person is washed up and can't remember anything. I guess Ramsey only has a few years left, huh?

Yeah, really. I'm getting tired of all the age related insults with regard to Ray. They never show older people insulting young people for their age, so why is it OK to show younger people bashing older people? I think Ramsay wants to pander to younger people who are prejudiced against age. Of course he thinks he is above all of that but I have news for him, he's no spring chicken himself.

I thought the balut egg was pretty terrible. Also, why is that a food? I never heard of before this show. That goes over the line for me as, "things to do to the losing team." Little beaks and feathers? Really? REALLY? You don't eat those on full grown chickens, why would you eat a baby one?

Suddenly Balut has become trendy in the U.S. as an exotic shock food. I have seen it on at least 4 reality shows in the past few months, including "Four Weddings"!

I honestly don't think there's one real thing about this show anymore, not that there probably ever was, but somehow this season it has become more obvious to me. I honestly feel that Ramsay has been picking on Ray to make him look worse than he is, and also the young woman he sent home this week. I just didn't see why he picked her to go home over the other woman. I felt he was looking to find something wrong with her so no wonder she was nominated to go home. Same with Ray. Others have made worse and more mistakes than them (hello Nedra and Dan) and still survive. So I don't get it.

And I don't see why Dan hasn't gone home already either. I don't know if it's just me but I think Ramsay is bored with doing this show by now and is getting kind of sloppy. I still think his plans for the show were wrecked up when that puppet woman went home so now he is forced into making issues out of non-issues just to create more drama and fake reasons to send people home. I somehow don't think this season is going the way even Ramsay would have wanted it to, so it's now that all the fakeness he is manufacturing is becoming more apparent. There's no protagonist to create a smoke screen around it.

Cuppiediva

Cuppiediva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 1:39 AM

These people are barely watchable. What a bunch of repugnant, vile humans.
EVERY challenge comes down to a tie. This show has become painfully predictable. Has there ever been a season where Ramsey kicked people out of the kitchen so much?
As I watch, I try to picture any of them "in charge" of a kitchen..and just...can't...
Shark shark sharkity shark.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 6:47 AM

Suddenly Balut has become trendy in the U.S. as an exotic shock food. I have seen it on at least 4 reality shows in the past few months, including "Four Weddings"

One of the dishes in the Restaurant Wars episode of Top Chef this year was an upscale take on balut with duck confit and foie gras terrine substituting for the embryo.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

The Balut eggs - whenever there's an "eat something gross" challenge - they never show what happens if they don't eat it. Some contestants flat-out refuse, and it doesn't seem that there's any penalty or consequence. I can't figure out why some go along with it, it doesn't seem that they have to.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 12:20 AM

Dan was in India. That would make sense.

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 2:59 AM

These people are barely watchable. What a bunch of repugnant, vile humans.
EVERY challenge comes down to a tie. This show has become painfully predictable. Has there ever been a season where Ramsey kicked people out of the kitchen so much?
As I watch, I try to picture any of them "in charge" of a kitchen..and just...can't...
Shark shark sharkity shark.

I definitely think this show has jumped the shark this season. For me it started with puppet gal and has continued to slide downhill ever since, not that it really had that far to go to reach bottom to begin with.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 12:07 PM

The Balut eggs - whenever there's an "eat something gross" challenge - they never show what happens if they don't eat it. Some contestants flat-out refuse, and it doesn't seem that there's any penalty or consequence. I can't figure out why some go along with it, it doesn't seem that they have to.

I think people go along with it to avoid pissing off their teammates. I know that I would hold a grudge if I had to eat a team members share of nasty crap. And that grudge would definitely come out when its time to nominate a loser to send home.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

I think people go along with it to avoid pissing off their teammates. I know that I would hold a grudge if I had to eat a team members share of nasty crap

But do they actually HAVE to? I don't know, it seems like they put the gross food there, people try to eat it, and then it's over. They never show someone having to eat more because someone else refused. And they never show anything like "One more egg, who's going to eat it?" I suspect it's just shown for gross-out value, but they don't have to eat it all.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

I honestly don't think there's one real thing about this show anymore, not that there probably ever was, but somehow this season it has become more obvious to me. I honestly feel that Ramsay has been picking on Ray to make him look worse than he is, and also the young woman he sent home this week. I just didn't see why he picked her to go home over the other woman. I felt he was looking to find something wrong with her so no wonder she was nominated to go home. Same with Ray. Others have made worse and more mistakes than them (hello Nedra and Dan) and still survive. So I don't get it.

OMG THIS. I was getting the real feeling that Ramsay was picking on the ousted woman before she was ousted. I can't recall now what it was exactly, but it seemed pretty pointed while I was watching. It came across to me like overkill and that he was trying to find something to bitch about regarding that woman, (who was ultimately booted.) I like how she just walked out. No, thank you. No, see ya. Take that, Ramsay. Suck it. If she had had a door to slam it would have been all kinds of awesome.

BogoGog24

BogoGog24

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

I think Jessica's elimination was valid. She stood there all the time with a deer-in-the-headlights look on her face, or even just no expression at all. She just showed zero passion for what she was doing and basically looked and acted like a total zombie the whole time. Didn't really seem to care when mistakes were made or at least didn't show she did.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

Dan was in India. That would make sense.

Then he probably should have known that his time in India wasn't really going to help him cook Chinese food.

OMG THIS. I was getting the real feeling that Ramsay was picking on the ousted woman before she was ousted. I can't recall now what it was exactly, but it seemed pretty pointed while I was watching. It came across to me like overkill and that he was trying to find something to bitch about regarding that woman, (who was ultimately booted.) I like how she just walked out. No, thank you. No, see ya. Take that, Ramsay. Suck it. If she had had a door to slam it would have been all kinds of awesome.

I agree to an extent. Was she suddenly called out for seemingly nothing? Yeah. But, in the long run, does it matter? It's not like she was going to win. She was cannon fodder any week she went. She wasn't exactly any better, or any worse, than the 2 chosen female nominees, and only slightly better than the men's choices. I don't think her cooking skills got her the boot, it was her lack of any desire (or storyline). At no point did I ever see her even attempt to be a star on her team, she seemed more than content to just float along and look clueless. I can see what Ramsey would find that a bigger sin than any mistakes any of them made last week.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

I can sort of see why that kind of contestant pisses Ramsay off. He doesn't seem to be too impressed with the quality of the contestants to begin with - he did a Times Talk with a reporter from the New York Times where he more or less said that he wanted the audience to know that they didn't have to worry about any of the lunatics on Hell's Kitchen working in his New York restaurant. I get the impression he goes along with his Fox persona (really different from the way he behaves on british television) because the money helps support the restaurants. But, too, he's written about how he trained, and it sounds as if he paid his dues in a lot of tough kitchens, so I can see him getting annoyed at people not showing any enthusiasm about the prospect of being handed a shiny career as a contest prize.

Shocker

Shocker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

The only reason we stick around to watch is because we feel so much better about ourselves after watching these idiots cavort around in their cluelessness.

That plus the chefs on this show...not as bad this season, smoke so much, that I'm waiting for one of them to cough up a lung. Hopefully, it's not while they are in the kitchen. Also, the amount of sweat that falls from some of their faces onto the food they are cooking is disgusting.

davidmf

davidmf

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 11:06 PM

Elimination Interview with Jessica

http://cartermatt.co...ks-elimination/

Dan is clearly the Seasons Antagonist with Puppet Woman gone - he will be kept around for now

Ray should know that No-one older than 32 has won HK and typically are in their mid 20's - the best he can hope for is making it to the final 2 a la Petrozza - but Petrozza was only nominated once - so he is history sooner or later.

Nedra - OK Fox - we get it Nedra has big boobs, no more mention of it in TH! - I can dream at least..

HK Contestants are typically split into three - Dead Wood Grrr can get rid of anytime - Antagonists he will keep around for drama value - or to give the contestants of "test" of how they react to such people depending on how much you believe this is a real job interview - and those who might be able to do the job.

I would think that anyone who goes on this would read grrr's "autobiographies" and know that if you are overweight and/or a liar - he doesn't feel you will make it as a chef - that knocks out several of the remaining contestants.

This show is my guilty pleasure, its predictable, but if you don't know that by now - you never will

DoctorK

DoctorK

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 5:14 PM

I'm waiting for one of them to cough up a lung

Me too! Followed by GR:
IT'S RAAAAWWWWW!!!

sfsusan

sfsusan

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 6:02 PM

Is this a generational thing? Am I the only one bothered by the use of the word?

I suspect so; and nope. Although even more than the women using it, it bugs me that the guys think the very worst thing they can say about someone is to give them female attributes. "Lazy", "stupid", "useless", "talentless", "selfish".... all those applicable epithets have no gender, but apparently it's much worse to be like a woman.

About "Asian food":
Ramsay even said it himself, though, when they were judging the dishes, something about cooking "beautiful Asian food". Then a couple of minutes later, Yan seemed to criticize a dish because he said it "was more Vietnamese". So I was confused... was it a Chinese challenge or an "Asian" challenge?

Yeah, that was very annoying. No one brags about cooking "European food."

But people do ask for "Continental food" when they want some sort of vaguely pan-European meal. Doesn't mean anything as far as I'm concerned, but restaurants in the 70s that featured it served French (coq au vin, Steak Diane), Italian (pasta) and German (weiner schnitzel).

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

But people do ask for "Continental food" when they want some sort of vaguely pan-European meal. Doesn't mean anything as far as I'm concerned, but restaurants in the 70s that featured it served French (coq au vin, Steak Diane), Italian (pasta) and German (weiner schnitzel).

When Calvin Trillin wrote about "continental" restaurants, he used to refer to them generically as La Maison de la Casa House. Always made me laugh.

Nukerjsr

Nukerjsr

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

I felt bad watching this for two reasons. Beyond the punishments, eating Balut is messed up. And Ramsay has eaten it before, so I don't approve of forcing them to eat disgusting shit. Also, I'd hate to serve food to Adam Shankman because he's a terrible director. (Rock of Ages, Glee's Rocky Horror, Bringing Down the House)