22-8: "My Cheese Is Out of Control" 2013.04.14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

130 replies to this topic

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Here's another exit interview. I don't doubt that Wynona hurt her calf and that it impacted how well she performed during the first few legs, but what I got out of this interview is that she admits no fault, takes no blame. The last question is what each of them learned about their partner. She says, "I think I learned that Chuck is much, much, much more competitive than I ever knew." You'd think she could come up with something positive, but it just sounds really negative to me. At one point she says that his strategy of gathering information at new places was a smart thing to do, BUT he really needed to take time to recharge. A big but -- as Pee Wee would say, there's always a big but -- kind of negates the positive comment that precedes it.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 6:52 PM

I'm inclined to think it's more because she knew that no matter what she did, she wasn't going to live up to Chuck's expectations.

I didn't see any evidence of this based on their time on the race, though. Wynona had no trouble giving Chuck the what-for during the detour in Vietnam, among other times. I liked Wynona, and I wouldn't characterize her as lazy. But there were times when she complained while being seated (i.e. the sandcastles and the scorpion roadblocks), so it wasn't just physical exertion and/or exhaustion.

Even in that deleted clip, we only hear Chuck in voiceovers. We see Wynona speaking live a couple of times, but not Chuck. Going off of his body language, I'm unconvinced that Chuck was all that upset with Wynona. He looked anxious, but who wouldn't be when your partner is claiming injury before the race has earnestly begun?

I can accept that maybe Wynona is just one of those types who have to express their displeasure or discomfort to get through things, but at the end of it all, Wynona was no more positive or encouraging towards Chuck. I can't think of a time when she said anything complimentary of him, either.

I'm not sure why Chuck is suddenly the bad guy in their relationship when, of the two, he tried to be more supportive on top of carrying the heavier burden most of the race, based on what was shown during the episodes.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

You know what surprised me most about this episode? It featured an alphorn, three accordions, and those drum-like things the locals at the cheese task had... yet they apparently couldn't come up with something vaguely Swiss-sounding to use over the end credits.

Chundo

Chundo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

I wonder if she just never talked about it or if the editors just didn't show it. I would have been talking about it all the time so if they didn't want to show it, they'd have had to cut most of my time out.

There was the leg in Vietnam where she said something to the effect of, "You'd better do it because I can't run." It would explain more about why Chuck had more of the early roadblocks. But I do wonder by this point in the race how much a pulled muscle should have played into her performance. If she was using the pit stops to ice it and was taking anti-inflammatory meds, then it should have been a lot better after the first three or four legs. I had the unfortunate experience of pulling a calf muscle while pregnant and on a trip that required a lot of walking. It hurt like crazy for about a day and a half, but after that it was down to "a little bit sore" and was back to normal after a week or so. It's a Catch-22. If she'd complained about it, they would have given her the "milking it" edit, but since she didn't complain a ton about it on camera, she got the "lazy with a retroactive excuse" edit.

momlyd

momlyd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

From the recap:

Jeez, man, the only reason his racket isn't causing a nationwide avalanche must be because it's in a frequency that's too high for snow to hear.

LOL!! My dog looked up with that classic "ahROO?" ear thing! M. Giant, I love you!

jeromycraig

jeromycraig

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

For just this once, I won't begrudge Team Mug n' Squeal escaping elimination, because Philiminating Chuck and Wynona was pretty much a mercy killing. Next episode, however, I will return to my normal routine of praying for bad, time-devouring things to happen to them.

Max gleefully shooting the double bird made me feel a wave of affection for him. I think I saw the Man Katie Fell in Love With at that moment.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 11:28 PM

I'm not sure why Chuck is suddenly the bad guy in their relationship

Because he's been an asshole for weeks. Nothing sudden about it. Good riddance. I'm not even convinced that Wynonna wanted to be there. This seemed like Chuck's bullshit idea, then he was a jerk when she was in pain, tired or just plain didn't want to be there. Won't miss him even a little.

Imajicka1

Imajicka1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

My take on Chuck in Winona is simply that Winona took part of the race just for Chuck. I don't think she realized how physically demanding the show is, so once on the show, her morale just plummeted. She was game for sections of the race, and for a second, it looked like they were going to become competitive, but then high-altitude Switzerland came calling and it was a wrap.

I mentioned far earlier in the thread that Chuck reminded me of Jonathon. Make no mistake, Chuck is nothing like that blue-headed fool. There was a particular moment, and I can't remember exactly but I think it was a cab ride, where Chuck said or did something that had me mentally flash back to season 6. I don't think Chuck's a bad guy at all, he just chose a wrong partner. I'll chalk up the meaness to killer fatigue. Chuck was a very competent, competitive racer who excelled at outdoorsy, naturalist/hunter type challenges. I don't even think he's all that old. Early 40s maybe? Late 30s? That mullet and facial hair makes him look older.

One of my all-time favorite teams they had on the show was Aaron and Arianne from Season 3. Aaron was a mellower yet more athletic Joey. Arianne was a much more confident and energetic racer than Meghan. But the reason I loved Aaron/Arianne and the reason that I'm rooting for Joey/Meghan is that both were truly devoted to their partners. There was no bickering between A/A and, as the drama at the Philimination mat unfolded, Joey was fully supportive of Meghan. Yes, Joey is annoying. But if that's his worst quality, he still comes off better than Max and Katie, who are toolish/bitchy at times. Meghan is just likeable and she's probably the only real reason I like this team, but I can tolerate Joey. Unless there is a major turnaround in their fortunes, I don't think they'll go much further in the race-- because TAR is not merciful to the navigationally challenged. But I wouldn't mind seeing them at least make the final three.

On Katie's difficulty with the hill at the Switchback, I'm inclined to think that she had the wrong type of shoe. Wet feet and poor traction would make any physical excursion in snow miserable.

Edited by Imajicka1, Apr 19, 2013 @ 11:02 AM.

Emeraldfire

Emeraldfire

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

I saw several teams carrying their gnome up the hill for the cheese task. I never saw Bates and Anthony carrying theirs, and when I saw the other teams with theirs, I did think that Bates and Anthony would be penalised for not taking theirs with them.

Goodbye Chuck, you were so ungracious to Wynnona after she did that roadblock. Surely you knew she wasn't going to be able to run as fast as you. That cliff walk would have freaked me out, and I doubt Mr Emeraldfire would have been able to do it any faster than I could.

Joey and Meghan were advised by the villagers to go to the train station to find a taxi. I think they decided they were closer to the pit stop than the train station by then, and figured it was just as quick to keep walking.

Roru

Roru

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

Switzerland is beautiful - but what really caught my eyes were those adorable St. Bernards! The leg design left a lot to be desired, however. So many bunching points with the train rides. The cheese rolling switchback would have been better with the carriers they used in TAR14.

Glad to see Bates & Anthony and Mona & Beth doing so well. Max & Katie, well, I think they got lucky being the first in their line for the Roadblock. Caroline & Jennifer were great fun to watch with their St. Bernard. Joey & Meghan have risen a bit in my eyes; Joey is irritating, yes, but I do admire his optimism. Seeing him help pick Meghan up after she tripped on the ice and comfort her on the walk to the pit stop was really nice. And then there were Chuck & Wynona, both of whom didn't really work together well. Chuck's words of encouragement came across as more like biting remarks and Wynona mitigated her own efforts with her self-deprecating behavior.

kris4n6

kris4n6

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

On Katie's difficulty with the hill at the Switchback, I'm inclined to think that she had the wrong type of shoe. Wet feet and poor traction would make any physical excursion in snow miserable.

She definitely did - I cannot for the life of me remember what Max called the shoes (slicks? some kind of shoe I'd never heard of before) but he said when she was trying to get up the hill that it was her shoes making it so tough.