Pucker Up: The Best Movie Kisses

• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

I know we already have a Movie Couples/Love Scene thread, but I want to start a thread for the best movie kisses. There have been some pretty fierce movie kisses in the history of cinema, and not all of them are exactly love scenes -- including the infamous kiss of death in The Godfather Part II. Almost all of us have wanted to get kissed in the passionate way we've seen in some movies. To start off, here are two of my current favorites:

Ron and Hermione's long anticipated kiss in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2: All the fans were waiting for this one. Even though they changed it slightly from the book version, I loved the way it was carried out. Ron and Hermione think they're about to drown in the Chamber of Secrets, probably remembering the many ups and downs of their relationship...and they just get splashed. They take one look at each other, realize enough is enough, and start making out. So hilarious.

Batman and Selina's kiss in The Dark Knight Rises: Yes, it's a cliche "you're about to die so kiss me" moment, but I loved it. Say what you want about Anne Hathaway, but she really went for it. Left Talia and both Rachel Daweses in the dust.

Also going to embarass myself by admitting that a few Disney animated kisses are kind of hot...although I couldn't appreciate them until I got over my "kissing is gross" phase as a kid. It's definitely a tie between the magic carpet kiss in Aladdin and the one in Beauty and the Beast. I have a soft spot for the latter because I think it's sweet how Belle and the Beast/Prince spend a few moments just touching each other, as if they're revelling in the fact that he's human now.

What are your favorite kiss scenes in movies? Remember, it can be ANY kiss (i.e. hetero or same sex), and it doesn't matter if you didn't like the movie couple.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

When Rocky kissed Adrianne for the first time has always been my favorite movie kiss. They way he moves in slow and careful, the she suddenly clings to him. I just loved it.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

The kiss in the wine cellar in Notorious is famous for good reason. Alfred Hitchcock was trying to get around the censors, who said a kiss couldn't go beyond a certain length. Hitchcock's solution? Have them kiss, stop, talk, kiss some more, talk some more, etc. The 'talk' was witty, the tension (they were looking for hidden uranium - was insane, they weren't even sure they loved each other at that point (he thought she was a whore, she thought he despised her).

And Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman? Well-dressed sex on a stick!

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:07 AM

Beauty and the Beast. I have a soft spot for the latter because I think it's sweet how Belle and the Beast/Prince spend a few moments just touching each other, as if they're revelling in the fact that he's human now.

ITA, SpartanGirl. That was such a lovely moment.

The kiss in the wine cellar in Notorious is famous for good reason. Alfred Hitchcock was trying to get around the censors, who said a kiss couldn't go beyond a certain length. Hitchcock's solution? Have them kiss, stop, talk, kiss some more, talk some more, etc. The 'talk' was witty, the tension (they were looking for hidden uranium - was insane, they weren't even sure they loved each other at that point (he thought she was a whore, she thought he despised her).

And Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman? Well-dressed sex on a stick

Amen to that as well, TudorQueen!!

Oh, man, I love this thread already, and, head's up, 'cause I'm going to bombard y'all with my favorites:

Lili: Both in the dream sequence and the one in the end, because they're not your typical, perfectly choreographed Hollywood smooches, but impulsive and slightly messy, but undeniably passionate and romantic. I love the one in the dream sequence because Lili is the aggressor and initiates it (kind of refreshing for a '50s film), and the one in the end, because it's so glorious seeing Lili and Paul united at last, and they just crash into each other's arms. Bonus mention? In the dream sequence, Lili does a backbend over Paul's knee, and he kisses her side. One word: hot.

Carefree: The movie as a whole is flawed as all get out, but it does contain some of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers's best dances. They very rarely kissed onscreen (mostly Astaire's idea, because he thought kissing onscreen was corny and mushy), but they share one hell of a kiss in Carefree. In the dream dance "I Used to Be Colorblind", the number ends with Ginger in her trademark backbends, only to slowly put her arms around Fred and pull him closer for a kiss (yup, another great dream sequence where the woman initiates it) and he happily reciprocates. There's also a breathtaking, "almost kiss" in the "Change Partners" number, where Fred has Ginger in his arms, and their lips are thisclose!

The Princess Bride: Most people like the kiss at the end, but I way prefer the first kiss Westley and Buttercup share, in front of that glorious, blazing sunset (before it's humorously ruined by Fred Savage objecting to listening to a "kissing book").

A Little Romance: The kiss under the Bridge of Sighs. One of the most romantically suspenseful scenes ever, and it's so beautifully done. Diane Lane and Thelonious Bernard were all kinds of adorable.

Sixteen Candles: That wonderful kiss between Samantha and Jake on the kitchen table, with only the candles on that cute little birthday cake illuminating their faces, as "If You Were Here" by the Thompson Twins plays on the soundtrack. The stuff teenage dreams are made of.

Gone with the Wind: Any scene with Scarlett and Rhett. Close your eyes, pick one out, and you'd have it!

Gold Diggers of 1933: The end of "The Shadow Waltz", when Dick Powell (who, for his cornball wholesomeness, seemed like one hell of a kisser) plants one on Ruby Keeler, and she passionately tosses the flower she's holding aside, only to reveal it's their reflection in water. So beautiful (even if the logistics are a bit off, considering they're supposed to be onstage).

Singin' in the Rain: The epic, sweeping closeup at the end between Don and Kathy. So simple, but so perfect.

An American in Paris: During the slow, sexy trombone section of the famous ballet sequence, when Jerry and Lise kiss, and we cut to behind Jerry, and see Lise's skirt billowing in the breeze.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:37 AM

I have a thing for the kiss of Eugene and Rapunzel in Tangled...because it's so cute when she first kisses him with her lips practically closed, a "little girl kiss" and he looks totally surprised and then he grabs her and deepens the kiss.

(And yes, I agree that Disney kisses in general are something special).

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

I forgot to add two kiss scenes from Continental Divide, a movie that doesn't get nearly as much mention as it deserves. The first (and probably my personal favorite) is when Souchak gets attacked by a mountain lion and Nell is bandaging him up in her bed, and she starts playfully kissing the spots where it hurts, and when she finally kisses him on the lips, they grab each other and sink back onto the bed with her casually tossing away the first aid kit.

Also liked the exchange they meet up in Chicago, and they give each other a half-hearted "I'm over you" exchange, only to start making out like two horny teenagers. Hee.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2013 @ 6:29 AM

Steve McQueen and Faye Dunaway at the end of the chess game in the original Thomas Crown Affair, 1968. Beautifully shot, and may be in the runnning for the longest screen kiss ever.

Edited by snowprince, Apr 20, 2013 @ 3:58 AM.

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

This may be due to my life long Eric Stoltz crush. But for my money, his kiss with Mary Stuart Masterson in "Some Kind of Wonderful" deserves a spot on this list.

carly hope

carly hope

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 5:38 AM

This is a thread after my own heart :) Hopefully I rememebr some.

BD1 - Edward & Bella's wedding kiss. It is just beautifully done. The simple vows, the music, the camera work, the guests disapearing, they both looked pretty unwilling to stop ever.

Love Actually - Mark & Juliet's kiss. It was bittersweet but that lead up with one of the best love declarations ever and the simplicity of it. It was a nice closure for that chapter.

Romeo + Juliet - the first kiss in teh elevator, the pool kiss(es), the wedding kiss. But if I had ot choose a favortie it would be the cuddle/kiss fest of the morning after.

Latter Days - Asron & Christian's second kiss at the airport in the snow. Christian's declaration and aaron initiating it, beautiful.

toogoodtobetrue

toogoodtobetrue

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 11:17 AM

Every time Joe and Claire Forlani's character kissed in Meet Joe Black .

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 3:34 AM

What about when Catwoman does that cat-kiss and literally licks Batman's mouth. It would probably gross me out, if not for the fact that it's freaking Michelle Pfeiffer. The woman could do no wrong as Catwoman, and her and Keaton had mad chemistry.

Edited by Jeebus Cripes, Apr 22, 2013 @ 3:35 AM.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

Moulin Rogue definitely had some good kissing scenes.  The one in "Elephant Love Medley" was definitely passionate, but I also love the montage of Satine and Christian sneaking around to make out.  Christian smiling with Satine's lipstick all over his mouth was priceless.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

So, many good kisses have come up in this thread.  The Some Kind of Wonderful kiss is one of the first ones I think of when movie kisses come up.  The music, Keith/Watts chemistry, and the way Keith's hands grip her jeans.  It's such a an awesome first kiss.

My all time favorite movie kiss is the crush the grapes kiss in A Walk in the Clouds.  It was so passionate. 

The second kiss in Shelter when Shun answers the door, and Zach doesn't say "hello" but just kisses him is so wonderful.  Then, they just keep on kissing as they go up the stairs undressing at the same time.  Zach being the one the make the move is such a big moment for the character.

Punch Drunk Love had a similar kiss where Adam Sandler just kisses Emily Watson when she answers the door.  I think my favorite kiss in that movie is the "He needs me" kiss when he follows her to Hawaii.  He tries to greet her with a handshake, and she just kisses him.

manbearpig

manbearpig

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 3:16 PM

I really like the kiss at the end of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. Nick and Norah are on an escalator, they kiss, they move out of the shot because the escalator moves them down, and there is a nice song playing. I really like the way that scene was shot.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 6:19 PM

Gone with the Wind: Any scene with Scarlett and Rhett. Close your eyes, pick one out, and you'd have it!

What's funny is that Clark Gable had bad breath so that was good acting on Vivien's part.

Bean421

Bean421

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 11:25 PM

I love the kiss in Princess and the Frog after they become human again. Naveen is the hottest Disney Prince.

Some Kind of Wonderful was the first movie kiss I saw that made me tingly as a teenager.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 11:41 PM

I loved when George McFly kissed Loraine in Back To The Future. What was great about it was the new found confidence in George and Loraine fell in love with him, not out of pity like in the original timeline.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 1:26 AM

First kiss between Inman and Ada in Cold Mountain.

Will and Elizabeth's wedding kiss in POTC:AWE

All of Sally and Gary's kisses in Practical Magic, so passionate.

All of Rick and Evie's over the top kisses in The Mummy 1 and 2.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 5:53 AM

I second the Notorious kissing scene mentioned above. I don't favor turning back the clock when it comes to sex in movies, but I love the ways directors used to circumvent the censors and still convey characters' powerful sexual feelings.

Shug kissing Celie for the first time in The Color Purple was beautifully done. You can feel how happy it makes Celie to know someone thinks she's lovable and beautiful.

carly hope

carly hope

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 9:13 AM

Oo, that was an awesome one. The whole scene is just wonderful.

I also really like the kiss in Speed when they survive the subway crash and they just go for it and the tourists start to peek in and film it all. It's a nice ending to both the action/suspense as well the tension between Jack and Annie.

Devon Sawa and Christina Ricci kissing in Casper and Now & Then. So very cute in both cases.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 6:35 PM

Donna Reed and Jimmy Stewart are smoking in It's a Wonderful Life!

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2014 @ 7:48 PM

Donna Reed and Jimmy Stewart are smoking in It's a Wonderful Life!

I love the telephone kiss.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

Best Wedding Ever!

I loved when George McFly kissed Loraine in Back To The Future. What was great about it was the new found confidence in George and Loraine fell in love with him, not out of pity like in the original timeline.

And "Earth Angel" playing in the background was just so perfect.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

Emma and Dexter's kiss at the end (which is really the beginning) of One Day is pretty sweet.

I agree about Bruce and Selina's kiss in The Dark Knight Rises, and about the choices given above for Notorious, The Princess Bride, Some Kind of Wonderful, Shelter, and Practical Magic.

This thread is making me all schmoopy. (I totally love you guys!)

OaklandGirl

OaklandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

POTC:AWE

What's that? The acronym's not ringing a bell for me.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2014 @ 2:52 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

Jennifer Garner and Timothy Olyphant's first kiss in Catch and Release is just ridiculously hot.

I love the shower kiss in The Lucky One.

Luckylyn

Luckylyn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2014 @ 1:02 PM

Ben ans Sylvia's kiss in Liberty Heights is one of the sweetest.

Tourniquet

Tourniquet

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2014 @ 2:11 PM

I loved Jace and Clary's first kiss in the greenhouse in City of Bones.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2014 @ 4:03 PM

You can be forgiven if you've never heard of 2006's No Night Is Too Long, it's a pretty obscure movie. But it contains one of the best kisses ever (the first one between these two characters -- in an elevator). 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vwIAWCDqhsE

Seriously, it's perfection.