1-17: "My Heart Would Know" 2013.04.10

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

87 replies to this topic

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:24 AM

I think that Avery couldn't perform because of issues with that person who signed him to that contract. I do think that his music leaves all the other males on this show in the dust.

lorra

lorra

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:37 AM

I just rewatched part of the episode. Before the scene in the bus, Juliette had a scene where she was arguing on stage with Deacon over the extra songs. She ended that scene telling him and the rest of the people that she will be in her bus. So it would seem from the dialogue that it was her having sex with Dante.

zmulls

zmulls

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 8:01 AM

I'd like to get a better sense of what Avery's contract allows or disallows. The guy who told Avery he couldn't perform at that venue intimated it wasn't a legal restriction, it was that Avery was blacklisted. If he let Avery perform, he wouldn't get the other acts from that Manager, which would be bad for business.

I'm guessing that any songs Avery was working on with that producer in Atlanta are dead to him - he probably can't perform those, and maybe he signed over a lot of his personal catalog. I'm guessing he will have to write a lot of new songs. (He has some sort of deal with the Publishing house in Nashville as well, they probably have some rights to anything he writes now).

BakerGirl

BakerGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Can Jolene please get hit by a bus? The sooner the better. She can take creepy "sober companion," and creepy androgynous cowboy neighbor, too.

Still can't stand Scarlet and her stupid facial expressions, clothes and spastic movements she calls dancing.

At this point I think I'm only watching this show for Deacon, Juliette (sometimes) and the dog. And the music. When they bother to have any.

AzraelKay

AzraelKay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 10:25 AM

I wasn't really paying close attention throughout the episode but I thought it was totally Jolene in the bus with Dante. They never show the face of the woman and I thought her hair was all wrong for Juliette. That would also explain his creepy response to Avery.

That possibility never occurred to me -- I am going to have to re-watch. I sooo want it to be true and want Juliette to find out asap [preferably from Avery] so she ditch Dante.

I’m not shipping Deacon and Rayna so their scene together at the hospital just had me rolling my eyes. I find them more interesting separate than together.

I totally agree. Early on, I saw some chemistry, but now am over it. I am sure they are supposed to endgame but I think I would rather see him with Juliette! And if Rayna and Teddy don't stay together, I thought she had good chemistry with that record producer - forgot his name at the moment.

izabella

izabella

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

That possibility never occurred to me -- I am going to have to re-watch. I sooo want it to be true and want Juliette to find out asap [preferably from Avery] so she ditch Dante.

It never occurred to me that it was anyone other than Juliette. Why would Dante and Joleen have sex in Juliette's bus? Maybe Dante would get off on it, but Joleen wouldn't have any reason to agree when they have perfectly fancy hotel rooms nearby. And considering how pissed Joleen was that he wasn't answering her calls or giving her any time, I doubt that they were having sex.

ObscuredbyClouds

ObscuredbyClouds

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 11:52 AM

After several rewatches I concur that it must have been Juliette having sex in the bus with the WACE, not Jolene. Everything is set up for that, from Julitette even saying she's going back to her bus, then later to her and WACE returning together (presumably from the bus). If the hair looks different at all, I'm betting it was Hayden Panattierre's double doing that scene anyway. All they needed was a back shot of her. Just my two cents.

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:00 PM

The bigger question: Is it normal to have a bus when you're staying in a hotel and have your jet at the airport for traveling?

At least, that's the bigger question for me.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:21 PM

Nikita, the jet was at Teeterboro, correct? That made me think it could be a section of the tour of the Northeast, or tri-state area. The buses could be for road travel w/in the region?

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

The bigger question: Is it normal to have a bus when you're staying in a hotel and have your jet at the airport for traveling?

I think Deacon said something to his Vet-friend (Stacy? Is her name Stacy?) about how he had a traveling day, so maybe it was a case of from NYC they'd be using the bus to travel around. Although, it seems like having a tour bus in Manhattan might be something you'd want to avoid, unless it can magically shrink to fit in a car to get the heck out of town in.

The one that really puzzled me was I think that Juliette said something about "In this, the country music capital of the world!" Wow, I didn't know that. Or suspect it. Or particularly buy it. Is that even close to true, I wonder? NYC is the country music capital?

Speaking of Stacy or Tracy or Vet-friend or currently ubiquitous actress (I am really sorry that I can't remember her character name here, she's been on several shows of late) , it did seem as if Juliette became angry with Deacon after his girlfriend showed up. Deacon and Juliette had been purely friends for a while, Juliette had even had time to have an exceptionally brief marriage, so she'd moved on without anger. Here she really snarled "You had your chance" and I wondered if it felt like rejection when Deacon actually appeared to be pursuing a relationship.

I do have to hand it to the actress playing Jolene though, she made me feel honest pity for her when she was talking about how she (Jolene) and Dante had a connection and feelings for each other, she just seemed so very unwell in that moment. She looked tired, worn out and desperate, but the actress somehow really sold that line. Like she sold herself that fantasy and everyone in the room just gave her a spectacularly grossed out look. It was sad.

Edited by stillshimpy, Apr 12, 2013 @ 2:54 PM.

Slade2

Slade2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 3:45 PM

I think Deacon said something to his Vet-friend (Stacy? Is her name Stacy?) about how he had a traveling day, so maybe it was a case of from NYC they'd be using the bus to travel around.

I thought he said this to avid telling her he returned to Nashville for Rayna. Maybe I missed it, but I was totally under the impression that he returned to Nashville solely to see Rayna.

The one that really puzzled me was I think that Juliette said something about "In this, the country music capital of the world!" Wow, I didn't know that. Or suspect it. Or particularly buy it. Is that even close to true, I wonder? NYC is the country music capital?

I live in NYC and was born and raised here, and that would be news to me.

Speaking of Stacy or Tracy or Vet-friend or currently ubiquitous actress (I am really sorry that I can't remember her character name here, she's been on several shows of late) , it did seem as if Juliette became angry with Deacon after his girlfriend showed up. Deacon and Juliette had been purely friends for a while, Juliette had even had time to have an exceptionally brief marriage, so she'd moved on without anger. Here she really snarled "You had your chance" and I wondered if it felt like rejection when Deacon actually appeared to be pursuing a relationship.

I also thought Juliette seemed angry with Deacon for not being hers, but quickly pushed that thought aside because she seemed occupied by Dante, and because I couldn't remember her meeting the vet.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 7:29 PM

The one that really puzzled me was I think that Juliette said something about "In this, the country music capital of the world!"

I'm not sure, but I thought she said New York was where she had the most fans. I took this to mean that New York, as the largest city in the US, has the most country fans because it has the most people. As a percentage it's obviously not New York, and Nashville has always been the country music capital, but in sheer numbers I guess New York buys the most albums or tickets or whatever.

Like others I get the weirdest kinda gay, kinda sinister vibe about the new guy. He was like instant Nashvillian. He just showed up last episode, and he's leading a band of guys he just met? Just add water and he'll be anything you need! Honestly I don't want him around, but I liked the pickup truck and the train tracks. Wake up, Gunnar! You got your dream girl.

It bugs me that Scarlett's contract is supposed to be a done deal. In any normal world, Scarlett would come back with Gunnar and they would audition together. I hate the idea that they are repeating Rayna and Deacon here.

BakerGirl

BakerGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 10:57 PM

NYC has the largest country music sales in the US.

It bugs me that Scarlett's contract is supposed to be a done deal. In any normal world, Scarlett would come back with Gunnar and they would audition together. I hate the idea that they are repeating Rayna and Deacon here.

Especially since Scarlett has sort of an "in" with Rayna through Deacon, AND it's not like Gunnar didn't have a good excuse for missing the audition-- his brother had just been murdered for crying out loud.

I'm just waiting for the unexpected pregnancy to pop up for one of these couples.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

NYC has the largest country music sales in the US.

What an interesting, yet odd, fact. I never would have guessed that in a gazillion years. I just did a quick check - NYC at (approx) 8.25 million has the largest population in the US by far. The next largest is the city of Los Angeles at 3.8 million. So even a small % of country music fans would represent a pretty big number.

I hope that now Scarlett is officially signed with Rayna's label that the first order of business is to see Rayna's hair people. I've got to believe that the contract includes a breach of contract clause for failing to maintain minimum hair standards.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 9:02 AM

Thank you for the answers on the puzzling NYC factoid Juliette threw out, I appreciate it and "most sales" was not actually going to naturally occur to me.

I also thought Juliette seemed angry with Deacon for not being hers, but quickly pushed that thought aside because she seemed occupied by Dante, and because I couldn't remember her meeting the vet.

Juliette did meet Stacy/Tracy/Vet-person (yet I can remember the dog is named Sue, I have no idea what is wrong with my brain here, sorry). I thought Juliette did reasonably well in terms of being polite, but she did seem to hint that Vet-Person had stepped into a minefield of personal history, or somehow Vet took that away from the conversation, because later when she confronted Deacon about it, she'd guessed that he'd also had a history with Juliette.

But here I just felt sorry for Stacy/Tracy/Vet because Deacon wasn't telling her the full truth about why he was in Nashville. I think it was also a "traveling day" but we know he'd actually been there to see Rayna. Since this is only supposed to be a couple of days after Deacon had told her she was right and he needed to be honest, that end hug was sort of sad. Just let the poor Vet go, Deacon. Even if he isn't going to get together with Rayna, he's just not ready to commit to someone else no matter how many keys he hands out.

gpgurl50

gpgurl50

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

Okay, first of all I love Lamar demanding milkshakes. I can just imagine his days of cackling and evil doing ending in a tasty milkshake. I cracked up at Lamar, Tandy and Watty all knowing about Watty banging Rayna's mom but it only coming out now. When Deacon showed up I half expected him to be like, “oh, they finally told you.” I was surprised Deacon and Rayna known each other since they were teenagers. Deacon was probably Rayna's first love and vice versa. Deacon needs to tell Stacey that he and Rayna are not over. I feel bad that Rayna is just now finding out what her father's problem with her was.

I'm surprised at Deacon helping Avery but glad. I'm also surprised Avery didn't remind Juliette who he is but I guess he was hoping to be forgotten under the circumstances. I agree that I thought Juliette was who Dante was sleeping with since Juliette said she would be on her bus and came back with Dante. I think they probably just didn't show her face because if she was facing Avery, she would have seen him.

I don't think Juliette should have to help save Jolene from herself given the neglect and physical abuse among other things she had to suffer through as a child. However, I don't blame Jolene for being upset her sober counselor is nowhere to be found while she was falling off the wagon. Going home and getting a new sober counselor was for the best.

Dante is so gross. Apparently, he's just leaving Jolene alone for long periods of time to follow Juliette around and get laid. He doesn't answer her calls. Even after she admitted to stealing alcohol, he didn't have a session with her. He just talked her into staying so he could stay with Juliette. He's having sex with Juliette though he was giving her counseling. He's firing people without the authority to. He is definitely off the wagon. He may not be on cocaine again but the money, the power and the sex he was addicted to are all back in his grasp. I think the grossest thing is that he's sharing private things from their counseling sessions and boasting about it like Juliette confided in a boyfriend. Juliette thought she was in therapy! He's such a manipulative yes man that he's getting away with it for now though. Even when he was apologizing he was like “Jolene sleeps with all your boyfriends doesn't she?” With Deacon, he was like “you banged Juliette when she was sad so don't complain about me.” Nothing is his fault. It's always the other people Juliette keeps close.

I feel bad because Juliette doesn't know the difference. Dante listened to her as a counselor, was rich and has sex with her so she thinks they have a connection. Now, she's going crazy over him. He's totally isolating her but she's not helping. It also won't help that Deacon is planning to leave the tour so he won't be able to intervene in the future. It seems Juliette has been with Glenn all the way to becoming where she is now. He may have been manipulative and trying to keep her in her poptart box but he did care about her and was looking out for her to a certain extent. Deacon is Juliette's friend but he doesn't give her everything she wants, is kind of tough love and brutally honest. Dante gives her everything she wants but I don't think he has her best interests at heart. It seems all about taking care of himself.

I don't blame Juliette or Deacon for the concert. It would seem respectful to cancel the concert, especially since there was a very strong chance they would not have a new set ready in time. On the other hand, Juliette has a new single out and her fans would still be able to enjoy the show. Juliette's mistake was going off on the band.

Funny, Gunnar was mad at Scarlett keeping secrets and now he's risking killing himself playing with the possibly sketchy Will. That'll end well. At least Scarlett has her career to fall back on.

I'm glad Tandy exposed Peggy. I wanted Lamar to live for that very reason. Peggy just seems like such a crazy mess to me. I think she must have talked to the tabloids so Teddy couldn't run back to Rayna or his family if he changed his mind but damn. When she called Teddy, I thought she was going to go to Lamar's room and try to smother him or something.

heyjamiesays

heyjamiesays

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 6:34 PM

I don't know, I'd add "was very very sexy" to that list. But that could just be my Deacon crush talking. He was super dreamy tonight, though, wasn't he?

I'll second that. I didn't really think of him in an attractive sense in his Whose Line days, but Chip Esten was looking especially fine this episode. Solidified my Rayna/Deacon ship for sure.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

• Interests:"Modern Family," "Mad Men," "30 Rock," mystery novels, old movies, tootin' around on my folding bike, dayhikes in Griffith Park, never met a hamburger or spicy tuna roll I didn't like. And vodka.

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 7:50 PM

Is it normal to have a bus when you're staying in a hotel and have your jet at the airport for traveling?

I don't think it's too farfetched for a star to fly while the rest of the crew sweats it out on the buses, especially if there's advance press to do. Presumably Juliette's bus is a rolling dressing room/bedroom/sex dungeon, but she definitely seems like she'd prefer to flit in a private plane.

Is that even close to true, I wonder? NYC is the country music capital?

My Jewish aunt from the Bronx is the biggest Garth Brooks/country fan ever. "Capital" may be an exaggeration, but as a business/arts capital I'd bet a lot of deals are done in NYC, and when you factor in that millions of NY denizens are from other places, it doesn't seem to farfetched.

Worldyfan

Worldyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

I really want Avery to end up okay with a new record contract and career. I think he's shown a strength of character he hasn't before. He's not whining or sob storying it up to anyone. He just got himself a job and is doing it. He's handling his fall from the heights really well. I sort of hope Scarlett sees this in him and takes him back but I also like Gunnar. But I do hope Avery ends up okay.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 7:18 AM

Had to re-watch after reading that some of you thought it was Jolene in the bus with WACE. That had never even occurred to me. Given the set up with Juliette saying she was going to the bus and then showing Juliette and WACE walking together after Avery walked in on the sexytimes, it seems like it would have been Juliette. And Avery told Deacon he walked in on them. I think Show is trying too hard to make me believe it was Juliette so they can surprise us with it being Jolene.

Not only is Jolene selfish, but she is incredibly entitled. Frankly, at this point, I think Juliette is throwing her money away when it comes to her mother

After being married to an addict for 10 years, this rings true to me. It makes it hard to watch, but from my seat they've got the character down right.

I do have to hand it to the actress playing Jolene though, she made me feel honest pity for her when she was talking about how she (Jolene) and Dante had a connection and feelings for each other, she just seemed so very unwell in that moment. She looked tired, worn out and desperate, but the actress somehow really sold that line. Like she sold herself that fantasy and everyone in the room just gave her a spectacularly grossed out look. It was sad.

True dat. I really want to just write her off as a manipulative addict, but parts are so pathetic and other times little slivers of the person beneath the addict slip out and I want her to get better (if not for herself than for her daughter).

WACE is now Juliette's Evil Manager (JEM) in my mind.

gotthemagic

gotthemagic

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 9:34 PM

That scene with Gunnar and the likely shady neighbor racing the train was not cool. People get killed doing stupid shit like that. A freight train can't swerve and it takes a mile to stop.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2013 @ 10:01 PM

I like the sisterly relationship that Rayna and Tandy have. I like the actress who plays Tandy -- she was Barbara's sister on Big Love -- and I hope her part grows.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 12:51 PM

ITA. I really found Deacon’s eye rolling “of course she is” when told Juliette was going on to be really insufferable. That’s not selfish of her, it’s professional of her. You know, professional, that thing you always say she isn’t?

Don't know, some may think of it as cashing in on Rayna's tragedy. I mean, Juliette and Rayna are touring, Rayna has to pull out because her father had a heart attach and Juliette takes that as an opportunity to (1) extend her own set list and (2) demand more money.

Vickilyn

Vickilyn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

That scene with Gunnar and the likely shady neighbor racing the train was not cool. People get killed doing stupid shit like that. A freight train can't swerve and it takes a mile to stop.

It was really stupid, but...the whole point was that they were doing something that could actually get them killed. That was their reason for doing it in the first place.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:56 PM

Lamar didn't die, wasn't exactly on his deathbed. To my mind, Rayna could have easily flown to Nashville and come back to NY the same day. It also seems kind of absurd to me that Juliette gets criticised when I would think Rayna, by cancelling a show she didn't have to cancel, seemed far less professional. Don't they say 'the show must go on'? And I would guess in real life the concert promoter would decide if the show is cancelled, anyway.

Avery denying he had met Juliette, especially when he specifically introduced himself to her, makes no sense to me. I guess he is supposed to be embarrassed that he is now just a roadie.

If the show gets renewed, I hope they spend the summer playing all episodes in order without a break, to help build the audience.

damnman

damnman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:17 AM

Anyone else wonder whether new cowboy neighbour has something to do with Gunnar's brother's murder?

shron17

shron17

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

Lamar didn't die, wasn't exactly on his deathbed. To my mind, Rayna could have easily flown to Nashville and come back to NY the same day.

But he took a turn for the worse after she arrived and had to have open heart surgery; I can see wanting to be there for that.

ITA. I really found Deacon's eye rolling "of course she is" when told Juliette was going on to be really insufferable. That's not selfish of her, it's professional of her. You know, professional, that thing you always say she isn't?

Wouldn't it be more professional to consult with your bandleader about whether it's a good idea to expect your band to learn ten new songs in less than a day? Instead she asks her boyfriend/manager who always tells her what she wants to hear.

kassa

kassa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 1:39 PM

Think of it as a traveling closet/livingroom. They leave the hotel and spend hours at the show site before the concert -- she's not going to be hanging out in some cinderblock waiting room. She's going to have her own home on wheels where she can retreat between sound checks and local media interviews and eat out of her own refrigerator instead of a catering truck. And then she can get her clothes out of her own closet and have her hair and makeup done while watching her own DVR-ed tv shows. And she can shut the door and everybody except her mother's sober companion and random roadies will leave her the hell alone.

I think the jet was there because the next day was a travel day. The crew and the band can ride the bus from NYC to Chicago, but Rayna and Juliette don't have to.

I can't figure Tandy out. I had her pegged as the bad guy and I still think she might be. Conflicted, but firmly Daddy's got-something-to-prove daughter. There was a flash of that when she threw the phone records at Teddy, but I wish that had been something she did to save Rayna pain after having been in on the blackmail all along and thinking twice of it, as opposed to suddenly being supposed to think she's just a nice gal. Wasn't she up to her ears in the dirty politics against Teddy's opponent?