7-8: "The Rings of Akhaten" 2013.04.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

96 replies to this topic

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

They call the choristers "sun singers" and they sing to Akhaten, so wouldn't that make it a sun?

The combination of "sun singers" and the fact that they prayed to Grandfather gives me a horrible flashback to the Star Trek episode where the Enterprise went to the planet that was like Rome and thought they were dealing with "sun" worshipers until they noticed there were two suns and they were dealing with "son" worshipers, i.e. a repeat of Christianity.

Now I have a headache from the memory.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

Regarding the Tardis locking Clara out:
At first I just thought it was doing it so she would help Merry face her fears in order to save the 7 worlds instead of running away.
But after reading speculation and conclusions here:
Perhaps Clara is Jack's daughter or niece or sister? She looks a lot like John Barrowman. Or maybe she could be his alter ego like Rose Selavy and Marcel Duchamp, except they would be actual, different people.

the dad even specifically brought attention to -if that particular leaf at that particular moment hadn't etc.

Yeah, I thought for sure that uniquely red leaf was an evil leaf, but it turned out to be a more of a magical, special leaf.

And so did he lose some of his memories? Did the alien eat them? Will this be a plot point later?

That's my question, too. Eleven said to "take" his memories, so would they be gone? Didn't seem that way.

In an episode where a sun implodes and nothing much happens, I guess the memories plot will not carry over to future episodes (or even the end of this one) either.

Matt did give off some evil creepy vibes a couple of times. I felt like he was auditioning for a serial killer show.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 7:53 PM

At first I just thought it was doing it so she would help Merry face her fears in order to save the 7 worlds instead of running away.
But after reading speculation and conclusions here:
Perhaps Clara is Jack's daughter or niece or sister?

I don't think it's likely it's anyone related to Jack. He has one daughter in CoE and she was not immortal nor was his grandson. As far as we know, Jack only had one sibling and that was Gray and he's dead.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

Clara isn't related to any past companion. I like a conspiracy theory much as the next person but this episode gave us solid proof that she is not related to or a version of any previous character or companion.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 2:20 AM

Two things, tho: what happened to the man who sang the last long song? Did he teleport back somewhere or did he commit suicide in fear of his soul being eaten?

I think, as others have said, the little girl was always intended to be a sacrifice (so singing the song NEVER works) and he was always going to bug out. Which is why he had that bracelet thing.

I'm among the people who thought the thing that was destroyed was the sun and wondered what would happen to all those planets. I guess I misunderstood the Doctor's statement that Clara was feeling the light of an alien sun on her face.

I didn't like the Doctor's big speech. It just rang hollow. Maybe I got too used to Tennant's histrionics.

AudienceofOne

AudienceofOne

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 8:36 PM

Didn't the TARDIS just not let Clara in because she didn't have a key? It wouldn't let anyone else in without a key so why would not letting Clara in mean it "doesn't like her". Logic suggests this is simply Clara's misinterpretation.

Edited to add that since "logic" and "Doctor Who" often part ways, it is possible this means something more. I just think that if they wanted to make that point, she should have tried the key and that didn't work.

Edited by AudienceofOne, Apr 14, 2013 @ 8:39 PM.

Scary Spice

Scary Spice

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

Wow, that was a terrible episode. I usually enjoy the deconstruction of myths and thinly veiled reminders to question ritual/religion, but this was clunky, heavy handed, and trite. When the guy got the leaf in the face, I immediately said "Oh this must be Clara's father" because in the last episode, she said the leaf was "page one." And I'm sick of the damsel in distress storylines. I was hoping for something really gripping like the episode with Elisabeth X or the one with the black lady from Pushing Daisies. This season gets a big fat meh.