Evil Dead (2013)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

In the much anticipated remake of the 1981 cult-hit horror film, five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

When will kids learn? Don't speak Latin in front of the books!

PostModem

PostModem

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

It certainly was gross (which does not equal scarey), and really that's about it. Which is what I expected, but it would have been nice to be surprised.

Especially after Cabin in the Woods I would have liked less stupid decision making. Fine, you don't know that you are in a horror movie, but I have have left immediately after finding the dead cats in the basement. You don't know if the people who did that did it 10 months ago or 10 hours ago. They could still be around and obviously are not sane.

Of coarse, I probably wouldn't have gone any place that requires me to drive OVER a creek bed to get there. Not a bridge over a creek, but literally on the creek bed. That couldn't possibly go badly.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 10:38 PM

I thought it was a really well-made horror film--great gore affects, really well shot--but not a terribly well-planned one. Mostly I don't think it knew how seriously to take itself. The introduction of Mia's addiction as a reason for them to stay and for her friends not to believe her until it was too late, the further fleshing out of the mythology, and David bringing Mia back to life all suggest a fair degree of desire for the audience to suspend disbelief and care about what happened, but the bad decisions quickly became comical, as did the violence and the actions of the possessed characters, and of course the callbacks to the original played as funny, as well. It was really fun, on the whole, and I'd like to see what this director can do with straight horror, but it wasn't scary, and it was far less satisfying that I'd hoped.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 11:42 PM

Of coarse, I probably wouldn't have gone any place that requires me to drive OVER a creek bed to get there. Not a bridge over a creek, but literally on the creek bed. That couldn't possibly go badly.

Then you wouldn't go many places in Arizona. It's like that a lot of places--not just creeks, but old river beds, too. Not really that odd.

I didn't expect anything more than gore and silliness. If the movie tried to be anything else, it wouldn't be Evil Dead.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2013 @ 11:54 PM

Man, Cabin in the Woods has spoiled me for movies like this. I just kept going through a checklist in my head.