11-11: "Finally on My Own" 2013.04.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

248 replies to this topic

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

Clearly the designers who were paired with partners whose sewing skills were competent would have an advantage over Stanley and Patricia. Stanley had to keep on Tu in order to get what he wanted from him.

As much as Tu's sewing ability was somewhat suspect, his jacket construction was praised. I think that was Stanley's calculation: try to get a fabulous jacket out of Tu by acting as quality control over his work. In fact, that tends to be Stanley's MO with collaborations: size up what a designer can do best, and use that to frame an aesthetic vision.

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I hate to say it, but Stanley's behavior this challenge in no way disqualifies him to be a designer leading a brand or fashion house. In fact, it probably qualifies him to do so. Perfectionism over all, even the potentially hurt feelings of those who work under you.

I don't mean to say that you HAVE to be a prick to be a leader, but you certainly can't be a pushover.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

Maybe (though a No break policy is questionable in any case), but Tu is not an Stanley's employee. He is a previous contestant who gets nothing for doing the work for him. If you pay someone for their work than you can be demanding concerning perfection aso, but if the person is basically helping you out, the least you should do is showing some appreciation.

Edited by Sayaka, Apr 10, 2013 @ 12:17 PM.

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 12:55 PM

I actually agree with you Sayaka, and I didn't like or approve of his behavior either. But, like in Top Chef, it seems, sadly, that a lot of the ones who do well are the jerks.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:13 PM

(though a No break policy is questionable in any case)

Strictly speaking, it's illegal. It's one of the few OSHA protections we still have.

That said, the returning designers were OK with balancing their fifteen minutes against all the unpleasant things they'd have to do if it didn't work out for them, so while I feel for them, Tu kind of did sign on to work for whoever he was assigned to.I do think, though, that Stanley is better suited to work with someone like Patricia, who really doesn't give a shit what he thinks of her and her work, than Tu, who does care, and couldn't find a way to express his esthetic when he was bullied.

Edited by jmhm, Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:14 PM.

dialyn

dialyn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

I think Patricia would be a disaster as anyone's assistant since she has no interest in anyone's vision but her own. Stanley worked well with Michelle because they were both willing to negotiate a middle ground for their mutual benefit. Tu has been overwhelmed the whole time. Perhaps he would have been better off with the very kind Daniel who seems to have an encouraging manner.

mk26

mk26

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:19 PM

It wasn't Tu's position to insert his view point. It was Tu's job to sew. I'm sure his contract with PR detailed how he would be asked to appear and provided for this participation. I'm not excusing Stanley, there are ways to respectfully get the result he wanted and Stanley made a different choice. It made for some filler entertainment on the show.

Most clothes on the racks are made in sweatshops in less than ideal conditions by less than ideal labor. I have a hard time taking a game show participation too seriously based on the state of the industry.

Edited to clean up my snottiness.

Edited by mk26, Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:40 PM.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

I doubt that any other designer would have allowed Stanley to boss him or her around that much, or would have cut their lunch break short. I also doubt that Patricia would be work well for anyone, let alone Stanley. There is no room for experimenting in his approach.

And I doubt that the contract is that precise...if it were, the "help" wouldn't exactly be a surprise, would it? Perhaps the contract states that the designers have to stay in town until the end of the challenges, and that they might have to participate in additional shooting (I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a lot of the confessionals are actually shoot when the contestants are allready out and not needed in the workroom anymore). While we always see them moving out of the rooms the previously occupied, we always see them bringing designers back on a short notice when a contestant gives up for one reason or another. Plus, if they would really leave as soon as they are out, it might be possible it piece together who is in the finale based on who turned up when at home. Perhaps the ones who are voted out first are allowed to go earlier, but I guess if you reach a certain stage of the competition you have to stay until everyone travels home. Otherwise a lot of the designer who helped this ep would have been forced to travel back to New York immediatly after they arrived home.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

Perhaps the contract states that the designers have to stay in town until the end of the challenges, and that they might have to participate in additional shooting (I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a lot of the confessionals are actually shoot when the contestants are allready out and not needed in the workroom anymore). While we always see them moving out of the rooms the previously occupied, we always see them bringing designers back on a short notice when a contestant gives up for one reason or another. Plus, if they would really leave as soon as they are out, it might be possible it piece together who is in the finale based on who turned up when at home. Perhaps the ones who are voted out first are allowed to go earlier, but I guess if you reach a certain stage of the competition you have to stay until everyone travels home. Otherwise a lot of the designer who helped this ep would have been forced to travel back to New York immediatly after they arrived home.

My understanding has always been that all the designers are required to stay in New York until the finalists are determined, and then everyone goes home at the same time to avoid spoiling anything about the order of elimination. As each designer is eliminated they are moved out of Atlas and into some other convenient residence where they hang out and are basically at the beck and call of the producers. I think even sometimes when the designers are filmed in a public spot, eliminees are brought along to disguise who is still in the competition and who isn't (of course the eliminated designers are edited out of any shots for TV). I think the only time there's been a monkey wrench thrown into this setup was in season 10, when Andrea left in the middle of the night and went home without telling anyone. Presumably she just couldn't stomach the idea of sticking around any longer, and got out before anyone had time to stop her or talk her out of it. I can't say I blame her.