9-20: "She's Killing Me" 2013.04.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

153 replies to this topic

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:18 PM

Upon receiving some unsettling news, Meredith and Derek take preventative steps for their children's future; a group of Syrian doctors arrive at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital for a crash course in basic surgical skills that they plan to apply in the field; and April decides to come clean to Matthew regarding the truth about her virginity. Meanwhile, multiple pre-op patients develop infections, causing one doctor to wonder if she is at fault.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

It was an okay episode. April is probably going to get fired for what she did, but I'm sure Baily is safe.

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

I gotta say, I enjoyed most of this episode with the exception of childcare worker Hunt and April. Other than that, no Jo (right?), Cristina stayed true to Cristina and said no to being mommy to Zola and Fetus (thought we'd get a name reveal, rats), and Meredith didn't harass her, great MerDer time and conversation, and good stories all around.

What worries me is Meredith's insistence regarding no extraordinary measures, pull the plug, shoot me with morphine, and having her sign the damned paper - that's gonna bite her or Derek in the ass, a la Izzie and Alex, although if Richard is around, it doesn't matter since he doesn't pay attention to that stuff, a la Izzie and Alex.

The only thing that bugged was that we got so little Alex. What gives, show?

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

Callie: We bought this hospital so we could all be the best doctors we could be.

Huh. Because it seems to me like they bought the hospital so they wouldn't have to go through as many hoops to get funding for their pet projects. Callie seems to be using it for that, at least. I was kind of proud of Jackson for calling her and Webber out.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

Agree for the most part with the above post.

Liked the Bailey drama, but the whole ending was a little much. Many mistakes have been made on this series and for the board to turn its back on Bailey like that... reflects poorly on them, not on her.

Didn't get why April all of a sudden gave all the Syrians extra supplies?

Liked the Meredith stuff very much.

I really don't give a flying **** about Owen and that kid. Sorry. Too many kids now.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

It was an okay episode. April is probably going to get fired for what she did, but I'm sure Baily is safe.

Wouldn't be the first time that happened. April getting fired must be a running joke by now.

The only thing that bugged was that we got so little Alex. What gives, show?

I guess it's because of no Jo, since the writers seem to be shoving those two together, so if Jo doesn't have much screentime, Alex will unfortunately suffer from that too.

Callie: We bought this hospital so we could all be the best doctors we could be.

Huh. Because it seems to me like they bought the hospital so they wouldn't have to go through as many hoops to get funding for their pet projects. Callie seems to be using it for that, at least. I was kind of proud of Jackson for calling her and Webber out.

Sadly Callie is really annoying and she used to be 1 of my favorite characters.

Liked the Bailey drama, but the whole ending was a little much. Many mistakes have been made on this series and for the board to turn its back on Bailey like that... reflects poorly on them, not on her.

Same here, I've seen worse from the other doctors and Owen almost let the hospital go down in flames during the lawsuit mess so he of all people shouldn't be judging other people like that especially since he's been obsessing over that boy instead of actually, comptently doing his job like a professional would.

I really don't give a flying **** about Owen and that kid. Sorry. Too many kids now.

It's really forced at this point.

Edited by Machuran, Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:38 PM.

hawkjs

hawkjs

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

I thought it was a decent episode, a little on the slow side, but I'd be lying if the last 10 minutes didn't hook me back in again. So was Bailey really the one sick and didn't tell anyone? Or is just something random causing the infections? I was a little confused on how that cliffhanger ended.

I liked that Cristina still said no to being the mother of Mer's kids in the event something goes wrong. I know it's possible that people change their minds depending on where they are in their lives, but they have established too many times that it is really not what she wants.

Too little Alex. Also, Ross and Brooks are the only interns I like. Jo isn't that bad when she isn't being preachy and annoying but the other two can go.

Didn't really care about April and I hope they fire her. It's sad because Sarah Drew is a great actress but I just don't like the character.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

I liked that Cristina still said no to being the mother of Mer's kids in the event something goes wrong. I know it's possible that people change their minds depending on where they are in their lives, but they have established too many times that it is really not what she wants.

When they establish a character for 9 seasons like this, it's way too late to have that character do an unconvincing 180 turn. They've completely written themselves into a corner even if they try to change the characters.

Didn't really care about April and I hope they fire her. It's sad because Sarah Drew is a great actress but I just don't like the character.

First her character gets fired a lot, then she failed her exams, and now this? I guess the writers just don't want to portray her as a competent doctor.

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

I don't really connect to the characters anymore, I just make random observations about them.

I thought it was sad and kinda funny that Bailey would have had no problem with Leah being fired for this, but she gets indignant when she realizes that her ass is on the line.

I get Jackson's beef I've often felt that the way the doctors approach the board members with proposals is inappropriate. They're all professionals they must know how the correct way to get money from the board. However, Webber was right and Jackson will just have to suck it up. I do think Webber was trying to explain this to Catherine, that this is not some passion of Jackson's, it's a project that was foisted on him by a meddling mother.

I understood Meredith's fears. I liked that Derek let her run around and discuss things with Cristina, but he already knew the outcome of each convo she would have with Xtina. It's what she needed to do after getting the Alzheimer news, provided her with some control over her life. I really liked Derek this ep, which is a miracle since I hate him.

What in the actual hell was April doing this episode?

I liked that Cristina knew Owen was acting like a damn fool over some kid he barely knew. She was looking for rational reasons but in the end she just realized he was baby crazy. I also loved that she was consistent, she doesn't want to be a mom and there is no shame in that, but it would have been annoying if they had her bend on this.

Owen was acting a damn fool. I mean does he even hear himself? All this team nonsense is all well and good when he wants to brought onn to cases but it would be a disaster if every attending ran to him and asked for his input.

Derek was a little harsh with Shane but Shane was acting a hot mess this episode. I mean dude take a breather. I want to tell him to watch the first 8 seasons of the show and realize that the residents rarely figured out their specialty in their first year. And his regression/anger towards Mousey is too damn much. She didn't do anything other being naturally better and there's no reason to be angry about that. He needs to go back to "lumps and bumps" with April.

It is funny that the Harper Avery Foundation is going to wish they had just given Jackson the money instead of buying him a hospital because they're about to get SUED!!!

No one really did anything this episode. A couple eps ago someone said the whole season was filler for the season finale. Or maybe it was a couple seasons ago, whatever it really hit me this episode.

Edited by MrsJeter, Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:29 PM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

I don't really connect to the characters anymore, I just make random observations about them.

ITA.

What in the actual hell was April doing this episode?

Breaking up with the paramedics guy? Idk. That and screwing up her job again by giving away supplies that weren't hers to begin with.

I liked that Cristina knew Owen was acting like a damn fool over some kid he barely knew. She was looking for rational reasons but in the end she just realized he was baby crazy. I also loved that she was consistent, she doesn't want to be a mom and there is no shame in that, but it would have been annoying if they had her bend on this.

It's far too late for that, it would be a poorly written cop out at this point if that happened.

Owen was acting a damn fool. I mean does he even hear himself? All this team nonsense is all well and good when he expects to brought in to cases but it would be a disaster if every attending ran to him and asked for his input.

It would be chaotic having all of them coming at them all at once and he's supposed to be a chief? No wonder the hospital almost fell apart. That and spending most of the time with that boy instead of doing his damn job like a real professional.

No one really did anything this episode. A couple eps ago someone said the whole season was filler for the season finale. Or maybe it was a couple seasons ago, whatever it really hit me this episode.

Becuase it's true, except this time around it's not nearly as mind numbingly dull like the lawsuit nonsense, but yeah, I still feel disconnected with the characters.

Edited by Machuran, Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:58 PM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

I actually liked this episode. It was good.

Loved the MerDer stuff. Loved that Derek just knew Cristina would say no and that he also got mapped to put Meredith a bit at ease. Although seriously writers, male pattern baldness? I know it's to continue mocking the hair but still, lol. I'm happy we got the adult couple that it was missing for about 7 years. I really like this MerDer. I had to laugh at Derek's line about surviving all the disasters. Nice hit to SR.

I was even OK with MerCris. This is fine writers, let's keep it like this and no more "person".

I insist: Owen is the worst chief ever. He's ok breaking protocols but Cristina doesn't consult her every move and it's she's not responsible? Why can't Owen put his daycare adopt the kid, go away and let us all alone. I'm glad Cristina is starting to see what's going on.

So Bailey is the source of the infection. Cautionary curious about this SL.

No Jo, YAY! Leah and Stephanie can let themselves out when they're done. Still enjoy Heather and Shane, despite the break-up.

I'm glad there was more Richard. Hope we can continue seeing more of him but for a second I thought his dinner invitation to Jackson had to do with Catherine.

April can go now? Just go. Away. Don't come back. So useless.

Really enjoyed the Syrian doctors SL.

All in all, I'm content. Which is weird.

Edited by AnitaMC86, Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:08 PM.

windsome

windsome

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

I'm glad Cristina is starting to see what's going on.

Right, but this is not going to matter if Shonda can't pull the delusional stick out of her ass and have Cristina break up with Owen. If you love someone, then sometimes you set them free and yourself while you're at it. But this is not going to happen because introspective writing for characters like Alex and Cristina rarely happens and when it does their actions don't reflect it. Or, they do something that show growth then they are fucking regressed the very next episode *eye roll.*

I mean when fuck is Cristina going to get fed up with never being enough? She's got an ego in the OR, apparently Owen describes her as always having to have things her way at home, which is really Shonda and her crackpot writing staff saying this. So, you mean to tell me this egomaniac can stand being second best, second rate, never good enough, in her personal life? Especially since she's actually fucking trying. She was actually trying to have a real relationship with Burke and is trying even more this time, and still coming up short.It was clear as day that she wasn't enough for Burke, now Owen,but she's not fed up yet? Yeah right, ugh, horrid writing staff, just horrid.

Don't care about the rest of the eppy, except the shit going on with Bailey. But even that won't amount to much, she won't get fired....for long anyway.

Edited by windsome, Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:22 PM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

I insist: Owen is the worst chief ever. He's ok breaking protocols but Cristina doesn't consult her every move and it's she's not responsible?

This! I couldn't even take him seriously as Chief while he was discipling Bailey, that's how little respect I have for his self-righteousness. Can someone knock him off his pedestal already?

Did not miss Jo at all, but it's unfortunate that Alex's story/screentime has to pay because of it. Another reason why I am not down with them - he basically can't exist on the show without her. Thanks writers! :/

If Cristina had taken Mer up on being the McBabies guardian, Owen would have lost his mind and also think he got his wish. No sir! I like how it was handled though, and that Mer understands this is how Cristina is.

Shane and Heather continue to be the best of the interns, even if Shane is getting a little creepy-possesive-neuro-stalker-like.

Edited by NYluv, Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:43 PM.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:29 PM

Is it just me or were the Syrian docs super hot?

I say it's a nurse spreading the infection and Bailey will be cleared-- it said on the chart a nurse "Wilding" was the nurse for the guy Richard saw.

Seems like Richard and Bailey were the only docs who put their hands on any patients this episode.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:30 PM

The way she rants and behaves is ridiculous. Her over the top reactions was a little much, refusing to sit and yelling at the intern even after Meredith told her it wasn't her.

Owen and the board were far too nice. Owen should have told her to shut up and sit her ass down. She thinks she's above having to answer to anyone and she can do what ever she wants.

hannahfran

hannahfran

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:32 PM

I liked moments of the episode.

Didn't actually notice that Jo wasn't there...

What happened to Bailey sucks. I felt so embarrassed for her I keep going back to season 1 Bailey and it's like look at what it's come to for her. It's so awkward.

Christina and Owen's relationship is so complex. I don't know what or how they are going to work.

And of course April gets kicked to the curb again. The girl has such bad luck it's insane. Her and Matthew are broken up and of course she is alone again with no one to talk to. Even when she tried to talk about her issues with Meredith and Christina they sort of made fun of her. I just wish she could be happy because she deserves it.

She has such a big heart. Look what she did for those Syrian doctors. But of course that won't be acknowledged and this is probably going to bite her in the ass.
I guess it's kind of the same situation when Meredith messed with the trail to save Adele. Hopefully Kepner doesn't get her head bitten off for it.

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

Is it just me or were the Syrian docs super hot?

It is not just you. The one who talked about his wife was hot!

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:42 PM

I insist: Owen is the worst chief ever. He's ok breaking protocols but Cristina doesn't consult her every move and it's she's not responsible? Why can't Owen put his daycare adopt the kid, go away and let us all alone. I'm glad Cristina is starting to see what's going on.

ITA. He of all people shouldn't be lecturing her about that since he's the one wasting time on a kid.

The way she rants and behaves is ridiculous. Her over the top reactions was a little much, refusing to sit and yelling at the intern even after Meredith told her it wasn't her.

Owen and the board were far too nice. Owen should have told her to shut up and sit her ass down. She thinks she's above having to answer to anyone and she can do what ever she wants.

He can't, look at the way, that Pegasus woman walked all over him and practically ran the hospital for him.

And of course April gets kicked to the curb again. The girl has such bad luck it's insane. Her and Matthew are broken up and of course she is alone again with no one to talk to. Even when she tried to talk about her issues with Meredith and Christina they sort of made fun of her. I just wish she could be happy because she deserves it.

She has such a big heart. Look what she did for those Syrian doctors. But of course that won't be acknowledged and this is probably going to bite her in the ass.
I guess it's kind of the same situation when Meredith messed with the trail to save Adele. Hopefully Kepner doesn't get her head bitten off for it.

It's like the writers treat her like a joke character.

Edited by Machuran, Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:45 PM.

Jschoolgirl

Jschoolgirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:50 PM

It's like the writers treat her like a joke character

It is too bad for Sarah Drew. Mad Men's Matthew Weiner has said Sal Romano is not dead, so maybe Kitty Romano could someday show up!

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

Yes, the Syrian docs were delicious!

LOVED Mer-Der...so real, so sweet.

Loved that Mer and Cris talked honestly about the kids without it becoming a thing. I assume Owen will end up being the guardian b/c that's the kind of corny shit they do.

I'm actually interested in the Bailey thing. Better than the hospital management storyline...already tired of that.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 11:20 PM

It is too bad for Sarah Drew. Mad Men's Matthew Weiner has said Sal Romano is not dead, so maybe Kitty Romano could someday show up!

It's a shame really.

I'm actually interested in the Bailey thing. Better than the hospital management storyline...already tired of that.

Almost anything is better than that.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 11:59 PM

Add me to the appreciation of the visiting docs!

I didn't realize Jo was missing till I came here & read. Please cut Alex loose & give him his own story independent of her.

I continue to find all the doctors running the hospital & making decisions the way they are ridiculous. It's not like I watch this show for realism but it's hard to suspend my belief completely. I really don't like many of the characters anymore. If they're trying to convince me I won't care if the regulars leave to pave the way for Grey's 2.0 they're doing a great job.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 12:04 AM

If they're trying to convince me I won't care if the regulars leave to pave the way for Grey's 2.0 they're doing a great job.

The problem is that the new characters aren't interesting enough to carry the show.

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 1:14 AM

The new characters aren't enough to carry the show, at least right now. They'll have to find a way to keep some of the longer terms characters. I'm just not sure who would work. I love me some Jessica Capshaw and Sara Ramirez, but even I will admit I'm not sure they can carry a show and and maintain the ratings the current show is at. Surprisingly, Jackson and April test really high with the target demos, so maybe those 4 could do it, for at least one season.

As much as I didn't think this ep was bad, it wasn't quite as enjoyable as being on another site I'm on and reading how all the fangirls were freaking out, thinking the Syrian doctor story was a ploy to get Calzona to decide they want to go do relief work in a war zone. I was like, 'Riight. Arizona's got one leg and they have a 2 year old. They can TOTALLY do that.' I know Shonda Rhimes can be kinda out there, but even she's not that out there.

Re: the actual episode. I have to admit the Bailey story had me hooked. Initially I was like, "Holy crap... how are they going to get her out of this?" But of course, I think PAWS is right and there will turn out to be someone else who was with all of those patients who will be responsible. Initially I thought (ok, hoped) it was intern Leah and we'd finally be rid of one. But that's too obvious, sadly. What I did like is that Bailey making a mistake - and even if she is ultimately not the one who's culpable and she won't lose everything in the end, she did miss something in not noticing Leah was sick - is it fits. It almost feels like the whole Booty Call Bailey and her being out of character early in the year was part of a plan to take her to this point. But I like and have more faith in Shonda than people here, so I do think it's possible all that early stuff was done with a purpose in mind and it all fits together.

I really adored the MerDer scenes tonight and it was interesting to compare them to earlier years. I love that they still have chemistry, but it's a different chemistry now, compared to their early days together. Now it's their familiarity with each other, their comfort level, that makes them loveable. It's a little sweeter, a little mellower. Still sexy, but a little less dangerous sexy. They're grown ups!

Mer's scenes with Cristina were wonderful. I have no problem with her saying no to being guardian, but I still can't wrap my brain around them naming one of Derek's sisters. Zola barely knows them! You're going to have the kids go through losing their parents, then uproot them from their homes to move to a new town and live with virtual strangers? Just... no. Bailey would've been a better choice. Frankly, JApril would've been a better choice. Someone the children actually KNOW. Someone who won't make them leave Seattle!

Unlike Crowen, who are children. Ugh. I'm sorry, that whole thing with the kid was driving me 'round the bend. I knew Arizona would cave in the end, and on some level I love her for it, but on another level, gmab.

I like April. I must have missed something, because I didn't think she was doing anything the team didn't agree to re: the supplies. I thought Sarah Drew did a great job in the confession scene. Now can Justin Bruenig be done, please? Matthew is dull and so is he.

Manchuran - in fairness to the interns, the show has slowed them down and kept them to the sidelines, so they're only being seen through interactions with characters we DO care about. I did feel like they were being rushed and pushed into the forefront for a while earlier in the season - 9x7, the intern focussed episode was a mistake - but I think it's better. And they'll have next year to continue fleshing them out. It's actually the textbook correct way to intro new characters. If Season 11 were to happen, Grey's would be much better positioned to have some of these new characters take centre stage than, Glee was at the end of season 3. Glee S4 has been a disaster because the newbies don't work.

Nanda

Nanda

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 4:07 AM

Overall, I liked the episode, not to insanity but I did. To that contributed the Syrian doctors scenes. Were touching and tender sometimes. Seeing other realities on the medical field was interesting. We are used to see cutting-edge medicine performed under the best conditions possible and with all available resources, it was good to have a glimpse of how other cultures work even today.

Our Bailey fell from the horse. She was needing it. Sometimes, she seems to be a little brat. Even her is not perfect and need to learn humility.

God, writers are ivesting in Japril. What was the need to make poor Mattew so ugly? What a dullard! Poor April.

Mer/Der making decisions together. How grown up. I liked it.

No Calzona scene???

Where was Alex? Oh, those little scenes out there was him in it? Yes, he was, but since annoying Jo wasn't there, it wasn't nothing substancial for him, as always.

Everyone hunting Jackson was kind of tiring and boring. What that Cat Avery did to her poor son.

Owen more annoing than ever when he was after Cristina all the time! What a dull fellow! For me, not emphasized his concern with the child, emphasized how slob he can be

I was happy Cristina said no to Mer, but tough she once more stated she didn't want to be a mother she didn't deny the possibility of being the cool aunt. How much more obvious could the writers be? I think that's foreshadowing her future with Owen and the Kid. However to have a kid 3 weeks a year is not the same as having your partner's kid every single week of the year. So if the writers are trying to go the route of Cris being the cool aunt to Owen's son and is 'cool' with a kid always in the middle of her relationship all the time, after having aborted her own child, I don't buy it. If the penman is aiming to this situation as the 'compromise, it's laughable. I come from a similar situation in real life, and you know what, IT DOESN'T FUNCTION IN REAL LIFE. I knew that after cornered themselves with their writing, they would have to come up with someting contrived and forced.

Edited by Nanda, Apr 5, 2013 @ 4:10 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 6:57 AM

I didn't see it as everyone turning their backs on Bailey. They were trying to gently tell her that she can't keep working on patients, ESPECIALLY the infected patients, until they talk to legal and try to figure out what caused all of these post-op infections. There's already a possibility of a lawsuit because of the three patients who already came in, but if they let her continue to work with patients now then they are opening themselves up to a lot more potential infections, lawsuits, etc. The responsible thing for any company/employer to do in this situation, whether it's a hospital or a McDonald's, is to pull the employee until they have found the cause of the problem. They are doing what's best for the hospital and everyone in it. For all they know, Bailey is still spreading some sort of infection to all of her patients. One patient has already died but they can't take the chance that whatever she did to cause the first three infections is no longer an issue. That's not turning their backs on Bailey in my opinion. That's trying to prevent more infections and/or death. I agree that it will probably end up being a nurse. I was thinking of the episodes of Scrubs where Cabbage picks up a glove and ends up spreading an infection that kills a patient.

I KNEW last week that Owen was bonding way too much with that little kid so I was hoping that storyline would be over by this week. Nope, still around. More kid drama. I get that this kid is traumatized and scared, but Owen bending over backwards to let him sleep at the hospital AGAIN was so annoying. Let me guess - another snowstorm on the East Coast next week so Owen will just take this kid home with him, then both the parents die and Owen adopts him and Cristina still won't break up with him. I hate that this is still going on. He wants kids, she doesn't, END OF STORY. Why must we continue to kick this dead horse?

When Webber said he wanted to take Avery to dinner to discuss a proposal, I was certain he meant he was planning to propose to Catherine and he wanted Avery's blessing. I'm glad it turned out to be just another medical proposal.

As soon as the Syrian doctors took most of the medical supplies off the tray, I thought that the board would decide to allocate a buttload of money to them for supplies so it was kind of nice to see them work with what they already have instead. Whoever pointed out that these doctors will eventually end up with no supplies again was correct so I'm glad that they pared down the procedures to use only the most basic instruments and technology. As charitable as it was for April to steal supplies for these guys, they are going to have to use the other techniques eventually once the stolen supplies run out or break.

Ha, the Syrian doctor who told April he couldn't leave without knowing how her story turned out was awesome. Loved his romantic story followed by "We saw Terminator 3." He is welcome to come back and visit any time.

Smash got creepy so fast. Last week he was threatening Mousy, this week he was sucking up to Derek like the suckiest suck that ever sucked, and now he's giving Mousy death glares because she's naturally talented. I hope he doesn't go all Tonya Harding and smash her hand in a door or something. But what was Derek's issue with teaching both of them? He said Smash was great a few weeks ago, so why does he have to choose between them? Is neurosurgery like Sophie's Choice or something?

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

But what was Derek's issue with teaching both of them? He said Smash was great a few weeks ago, so why does he have to choose between them? Is neurosurgery like Sophie's Choice or something?

I didn't get that either. In the past, interns have rotated through constantly. Derek should have simply said that Ross had to rotate just like everyone else. Saying that Mousy was more talented seemed oddly out of place - I don't recall Derek ever saying that about anyone else, even when Meredith was on his service (until way later, when it looked like she might specialize in Neuro).

Perhaps they're setting up something creepy. Creepier?

Chicken Wing

Chicken Wing

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

Derek should have simply said that Ross had to rotate just like everyone else. Saying that Mousy was more talented seemed oddly out of place

Yeah, I don't get that either. If Mousy has a natural raw talent for neuro, yay. But Smash has a passion and he's eager to learn and get better -- what's wrong with that? Derek didn't say Smash wasn't good for this; he just said that Mousy (loving the nicknames, cuz frankly I don't remember their real ones) was better. So what? What a crappy teacher he is. Isn't the teacher's job supposed to be to teach and guide people so they get better? Just tell Smash that he admires his eagerness to learn, but he has to teach everyone and it's someone else's turn now.

About Meredith and her genome test thingy. What exactly is she freaking about, now? So her test came back positive for the genetic markers for Alzheimer's. That doesn't mean she's going to get it. As far as I understand it, the only thing it indicates is that she has a propensity for possibly developing the disease, a little moreso than the random person, because she is related to someone who did have it and naturally shares some of their genes. Um, didn't Meredith already know that? Her mother had Alzheimer's. There's a slight genetic link to it. Duh. That test didn't tell her anything. How much money did Bailey get for this lab? Waste of time. I giggled at Derek and his male pattern baldness, though. You know they threw that in there to be funny.

Speaking of Bailey, how insufferable was she? I did not understand why she automatically blamed Leah (hey, I remembered an intern's name!) for the post-op infections for those first two patients. Bailey handled those people, too. Why automatically assume it came from Leah? Silly. It was terribly obvious and not particularly clever that Leah was not the common denominator and it would come back to Bailey as the common denominator. So not clever, in fact, that I was surprised it took until the end of the episode to come out with it. I thought they would figure that out by the middle of the episode, and then the end cliffhanger would be about how exactly the infections were happening. But apparently they thought it would be a surprise to reveal that it was Bailey. Why do the writers think we're stupid?

mage-girl

mage-girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:34 AM

I'm a bad person. I actually laughed and clapped when they revealed that the common factor in the infections was not the intern, but Bailey.

I think it's because Bailey has been so incredibly insufferable at times, particularly this season. It's like she puts herself so far above everyone, she could not possibly make a mistake or do something wrong. I don't remember her being quite so obnoxious in earlier seasons.

But then, everyone's been a bit more insufferable this season.

I am so glad the settlement storyline is over, but the doctors doing whatever they want "because I own the hospital" is pretty irritating. You are not the only one who "owns" the hospital! There are other doctors who are owners, along with the Avery Foundation. There's got to be some oversight somewhere. I swear, some of them are like kids in a candy store!

Callie seemed extra whiny this episode. I wanted to smack her when she was talking about her dream. Whatever. (Not a Callie fan, sorry.)

Glad to see Cristina remaining true to her character by refusing to take Meredith's kids if something bad happens. As a fellow person who does not want kids, it's heartening that she won't knuckle under to please someone, even if it's her best friend. A little sad, yes, but it's better for the kids to be with someone who would want them.

Can Cristina and Owen break up? PLEASE??? It's so obvious they want different things. There are things you can compromise on, but having children is not one of them.

Actually felt rather bad for April. Not being a virgin should not be a deal-breaker in this day and age. But I hate to say it, if the paramedic dumped her for something like that, I'm sure there are plenty of other things he's unwilling to budge on. April may have dodged a bullet here.

Actually looking forward to the next episode, for the first time in a while!

questionfear1

questionfear1

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:35 AM

I didn't get that either. In the past, interns have rotated through constantly. Derek should have simply said that Ross had to rotate just like everyone else. Saying that Mousy was more talented seemed oddly out of place - I don't recall Derek ever saying that about anyone else, even when Meredith was on his service (until way later, when it looked like she might specialize in Neuro).

Perhaps they're setting up something creepy. Creepier?

I thought earlier this year we were headed for Leah stalking Alex...so maybe we'll get Smash stalking McDreamy? Stalking is the one storyline Grey's hasn't used for a big scary finale yet. But I hope they don't ruin Smash...I like him.