13-18: "Sheltered" 2013.04.03

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

staveDarsky

staveDarsky

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

When the CSIs find a body near a forest reserve, they discover what might be a serial killer and his bizarre lair.

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 8:49 AM

The main point of this episode that I found interesting was how a location can be mistaken for a crime scene when it is actually not a crime scene. All the evidence pointed to this fact, but pretty much every piece of evidence turned out to have a different explanation.

Liked seeing the dog (Sam?) again, and good continuity in the commands being given in French. Did Nick have a still-growing beard last episode or is this new?

Finally, the bunker house reminded me of the house that Christopher Walken's character constructed in the movie 'Blast from the Past'.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 2:03 PM

So the victim and his boyfriend were having sex in the daughter's room in the bunker? I missed the part where they resolved why the victim's semen was on the daughter's bed (if they did resolve it).

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

So the victim and his boyfriend were having sex in the daughter's room in the bunker? I missed the part where they resolved why the victim's semen was on the daughter's bed (if they did resolve it).

Apparently. I was pretty squicked out by this-- who has sex in some poor girl's pretty pink princess in a bunker bed?

I'm still confused about what went down, honestly. So the girl's boyfriend dragged Eric inside the bunker to cut off his remaining hand after he was dead and that much blood came out postmortem? Or Eric's boyfriend's dad somehow found him in the bunker and cut off the first hand in there, then Eric circled back and the boyfriend cut off the other hand someplace after he died?

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

So the victim and his boyfriend were having sex in the daughter's room in the bunker?

Yes, that is correct.

I thought the premise of the episode was ridiculous but I still enjoyed the episode. Loved seeing Sam get a chance to do more police work...he must get very bored just sitting at home all the time. Nick should bring him to work more often.

And nobody grated this time. I even like Shue well enough as long as it isn't All. About. Her. I was never that big a fan of Catherine so Shue doesn't seem all that bad to me - although I have a hard time remembering her character's name.

I'm glad it was the homophobic father who was the killer because everyone else seemed to be good people.

eta> Pipped by iscoffy!

I'm still confused about what went down, honestly. So the girl's boyfriend dragged Eric inside the bunker to cut off his remaining hand after he was dead and that much blood came out postmortem? Or Eric's boyfriend's dad somehow found him in the bunker and cut off the first hand in there, then Eric circled back and the boyfriend cut off the other hand someplace after he died?

As far as I could figure it, homophobic father followed victim and confronted him, telling him to leave his son alone; victim laughed at him so enraged hf chased him and Eric(?) fell into a bear trap and while out of commission hf cut off his hand. Victim broke free from old rusty bear trap and, bleeding profusely and in great pain, stumbled around looking for help. He ran into girl and her boyfriend who took him into bunker to try to help him where he bled all over the floor and died. Girl and boyfriend were appalled but clueless so boyfriend took the body out of the bunker, cut off his other hand so nobody could identify the body which made no sense to me but that's what he did, then took the body away from the bunker. Then Nick brought Sam along to the crime scene and Sam traced the body back to the bunker.

Please feel free to correct me if I went wrong anywhere.

Edited by Trey, Apr 4, 2013 @ 4:53 PM.

Love

Love

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 6:52 PM

I squeed a little when Morgan made the LOST reference when Nick found the door buried in the ground. As a huge LOST fan, I still get a kick out it when tv shows make references to it.

On a shallow note, I am liking the facial hair on Nick. Love Nick/Sam. I think I just liked how Nick was so prominent last night. He's always been my fave character. For me, he even seems to make Morgan and Finn more tolerable.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 8:25 PM

Please feel free to correct me if I went wrong anywhere.

I think you got it 99% right, but I understood that the first hand was severed by buckshot. They had a foot amputated this week on Bones the same way. I wonder if both shows made this week's episodes shortly after the school shooting last December, and that both were intended to illustrate that even buckshot can shatter limbs and lives.
But it didn't make any sense that the CSIs didn't pick up on how differently the two hands were removed.
I watch too much TV.

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

I think you got it 99% right, but I understood that the first hand was severed by buckshot.

This would make somewhat more sense (as much sense is to be had).

I thought the bunker girl's boyfriend's brief flashback showed the victim passing out (and dying?) outside the bunker, while the pool of blood in the astroturf inside was related to the, er, behanding. So why they would take him inside to cut his hand off (leaving alone the reasoning for why they would cut his hand off), I just can't quite figure. Unless the CSI's just assumed the blood pool had to do with the hand being cut off, and it just wasn't shown when the couple brought Eric inside and he bled out in there.

Although the episode seemed unnecessarily twisty, I freely admit that I was not devoting my utmost attention to it, so it could be that I'm just confused.

Raphael delGado

Raphael delGado

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 6:40 AM

The main point of this episode that I found interesting was how a location can be mistaken for a crime scene when it is actually not a crime scene.

Actually, I don't think they explained that away at all. I think Trey got it mostly right; right up to the part where the victim ran into girl and her boyfriend. I thought it was implied that the victim ran into the couple at the corner grocery, camouflage and ammo store where the boyfriend worked. Except that wouldn't explain why the victim's blood was found in the bunker.
Besides the whole crime thing, I found it difficult to believe that bitter, angry, survivalist Daddy and very-psychologically and socially damaged daughter could be healed just by a day in the presence of DB and Shue, and decide to rejoin the human race.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

I think you got it 99% right, but I understood that the first hand was severed by buckshot.

I had totally forgotten that.

Besides the whole crime thing, I found it difficult to believe that bitter, angry, survivalist Daddy and very-psychologically and socially damaged daughter could be healed just by a day in the presence of DB and Shue, and decide to rejoin the human race.

This!!

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 3:11 AM

I don't get how anybody associated with law enforcement could think it was OK to go into the underground house without a warrant or trying to rescue someone in imminent danger. Just because you find something unusual doesn't mean you can just waltz right in with guns & drag the owner away. Not to mention going around searching the place & accusing everyone they met of murder without any real proof. This episode really annoyed me no end.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Actually, what annoyed me most about this episode was the conclusion - if I interpreted it right, the cops break into his home (legally or not, I'm not sure of the legality there), accuse him of murder and child molestation (again!) and... this results in him thinking he was wrong to go into hiding? Surely, if anything, it would make him more convinced he was right to turn his back on the world. His daughter would probably hate him for it (or abandon him) - but then we'd have a downer ending and we can't have that (well, not any more - there are several CSI episodes that had downer endings, but apparently every murder has to have a happy ending these days).

Edited by John Potts, Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:34 AM.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 12:13 PM

Finally, the bunker house reminded me of the house that Christopher Walken's character constructed in the movie 'Blast from the Past'.

Just saw this one on reruns and my first thought was, "Hey! It's the set from 'Blast from the Past'!" I love that little movie, it's so cute and sweet.