8-19: "Taxi Driver" 2013.04.03

• Please log in to reply

216 replies to this topic

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Lockley

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Sam and Dean team with a reaper to help them deal with the second trial from the Tablet. Meanwhile, Naomi visits Dean, and he realizes he must find Benny and ask for a huge favor.

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:02 PM

I would tell the show to go to Hell, but it would just find an infuriating way to come back.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

Good episode, great to see Benny again, really sad that he stayed in Purgatory. I hope Dean finds a way to get him out. I also hope Dean doesn't buy into Naomi's BS. I thought for sure that Bobby was going to end up being the wrong soul...I thought the girl was the real test but I guess not.

Really felt bad for Kevin...I hope Mrs Tran isn't really dead. Crowley and Naomi are seriously entertaining...I also love that Crowley really is the only supernatural being that doesn't underestimate The Winchesters.

Lemuria

Lemuria

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Apparently, Tippi, it's really easy to get in and out of Hell, so yeah, I doubt the show would stay there! (Guess they also forget all about the Hell Crowley showed us in season 6.)

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

Oh well, at least Bobby's in Heaven, so I can take some comfort from that. Plus, I so want him to join up with Rufus in Heaven and the both of them can take over. Suck it, Naomi.

I didn't really care about Benny, but at least he was a legit good guy. With his bones not being burned, there's a chance to bring him back, too.

I cannot believe that they think that Kevin just bugged off. Really? He talked about hearing Crowley, and they're not suspicious just one little bit?

Other than that little detail, I kinda liked this episode. It wasn't drowning in as much angst as usual.

Of course, I reserve the right to loathe this episode retroactively if Bobby, Benny, and Kevin get killed for good for reals with no take backs.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:09 PM

Guess they also forget all about the Hell Crowley showed us in season 6.)

That was Cowley's sales pitch to get Castiel on his side...or Crowley could have reverted to form the more he got into his power trip as the King of Hell?

The other interesting thing I noticed. The crossroads demon had red eyes not normal demon black.

amazinglybored

amazinglybored

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

Continuity got shit on, but that's to be expected now.

Sam really does get everything Dean had and Dean can't have friends. They've devalued Purgatory with this shit, it's funny how that happens when they give Dean's things to Sam. RIP Dean's storyline.

Sam kind of liking Benny after he did something for Sam and Bobby being innocent is laughable. Of course Bobby is more pissed about Dean having a vampire friend than Sam not giving a damn about Dean, good old Bobby. Bobby could have stayed in hell, at least there would have been a twist that way.

Kevin is a miserable brat that can die at any time, and him hiding the tablet was cringe worthy. RIP Mrs. Tran, you were much better than your child, therefore you had to die.

Dean was actually happy to have Sam back, Sam I assume is happy to be back to a place with blow-dryers. Dean this episode watched Kevin, worried about Sam, cooked for Kevin, worried about Sam and lost a friend to save Sam. Dean gets nothing to himself, show rule.

RIP Benny, you were too good to 'die' for Sam, I'll miss you. Just when they made the Dean-Benny relationship more even too, naturally it had to end because of the abuser.
Crowley and Naomi are both apparently incompetent idiots for not being able to get into Purgatory. RIP any credibility of those two as villains.

Fuck you show and keep fucking Bobby dead this time, the true never to be god damn well seen again DEAD. Sam's suffering is just funny to me now, bring the humour.

First half, the good half, of the season has officially been killed off, RIP first half of the season. This episode was about the death of things really, killing the good things.

Edited by amazinglybored, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:12 PM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

Fan-freaking-tastic, another awesome character is no longer around. They introduced Benny this season, made him an excellent character, only to get rid of him. Let an awesome supporting character live for once. I know there's still Sheriff Jody, but the longer she's off the show the safer she is. Why get rid of Benny?

We got Bobby back for an episode. Now bring back Zachariah, Rufus, Ellen, and Trickster/Gabriel for an episode.

Cowley's forever, so I guess this means he's Legion and in with the Senior Partners at Wolfram & Hart.

Tippi Blevins

Tippi Blevins

Network Executive

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

(Guess they also forget all about the Hell Crowley showed us in season 6.)

Yeah, seriously. It would have taken Sam much longer to find Bobby if it has still be the DMV-style Hell. As it was, he gets, what, five feet inside and finds exactly who he's looking for?

My biggest complaint (which I'm sure I will go into at considerable length in the recap) is how rushed it was. There should have been a lot more space for emotional impact not only for Benny, but for Bobby. Instead, we go from scene to scene (and across country!) in a flash.

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

I see time in hell hasn't changed Bobby, he still loves to frown upon Dean's choices while approving of Sam's. So glad to see that hasn't changed.

I didn't really care about Benny, but at least he was a legit good guy. With his bones not being burned, there's a chance to bring him back, too.

If Benny does come back, I expect it'll be as a villain out for Dean's blood. I know I would be super pissed if Dean did that to me.

Fuck you show and keep fucking Bobby dead this time, the true never to be god damn well seen again DEAD. Sam’s suffering is just funny to me now, bring the humour.

Yeah, I would be happy to never see or hear from sanctimonious and judgemental Bobby ever again, thanks. It just blows my mind that at one point, the show had him say that Dean was his favorite when Dean can clearly do nothing right in his eyes.

Edited by Austinthecat, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:17 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:15 PM

I see time in hell hasn't changed Bobby, he still loves to frown upon Dean's choices while approving of Sam's. So glad to see that hasn't changed.

Bobby yelled at Sam when he found out Sam hadn't looked for Dean in Purgatory. Bobby called both brothers out on actions. I didn't see any favoritism there.

Observe

Observe

Video Archivist

I was expecting to see Benny choose to stay, so no surprise there. Looks like the show left it open enough for a possible return, which also would be no surprise. Nice work from Ackles and Olsson in that scene. I'm glad they did have Sam willing to transport him back topside: for one awful moment I thought they were going to have him refuse.

Other than that, it was nice to hear "balls" voiced so effectively one more time; and was that genuine concern for Bobby's soul from Naomi? I had also forgotten how effectively nasty Mark Sheppard can be as Crowley, so good to see that back.

Overall though, I found it curiously lacking in suspense, and the Hell scenes were pretty pathetic. And I find it a little baffling that they would so completely dismiss the possibility that Crowley really did have access to Kevin.

Edited by Observe, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:17 PM.

Parcae3

Parcae3

Video Archivist

Wow, really, Show? If they want me to care about their storylines, how about they not hork all over them and retroactively turn them into jokes? I mean, really, after all of that wangst about Hell and Purgatory, it turns out that anyone can pretty much just waltz in and out, easy peasy. Just find yourself a Reaper whom you can bribe and you're good. John could have been saved a long time ago. Dean could have been saved a long time ago (silly angels, risking so many deaths when they could have just bribed a Reaper!). Dean and Castiel spent a walk in the park in Purgatory for nothing. Those places are cake walks!

And, Death, that all knowing, hard core taskmaster, just lets his Reapers go rogue and doesn't do anything about it. Cause you know, Death is a total pushover and all about messing with the natural order of things.

/sarcasm.

That was just horrible. I mean, they just screwed over so much of their own canon and retroactively made some of their most compelling storylines fairly silly and pointless because it was easy as pie to get through Hell and Purgatory. And there was no twist, they didn't even try. Everything every poster pretty much figured out as soon as the promo came out.

That was just...pathetic. And man, Team Purgatory. I hope Dean manages to get Benny back out. Frankly, I'm all for Dean going back to Purgatory, period, because hey, at least he had a point there and got to DO something besides ringing his hands over Sam, who STILL hasn't owned up to and apologized to Dean for abandoning him! And don't even get me started on Sam just stranding Benny there without trying to save him. Way to repay someone, Sam.

This was just horrible. Come on. I don't care who these writers are connected to, they should be canned, immediately. First they put a woman of color in a slave color and now they just spit on 7 seasons worth of Show canon.

And Carver should be fired for allowing this to happen. Ugh. Horrible.

sadangel

sadangel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:16 PM

RIP Benny. Loved Jensen's and Ty's scene.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:17 PM

Other than that, it was nice to hear "balls" voiced so effectively one more time; and was that genuine concern for Bobby's soul from Naomi? I had also forgotten how effectively nasty Mark Sheppard can be as Crowley, so good to see that back.

I loved that "balls" so much, it's embarrassing. Naomi actually did seem concerned for Bobby's soul, and not solely in a "heaven wins, hell loses" kind of way. Either that, or she's a really good actress.

And don't even get me started on Sam just stranding Benny there without trying to save him. Way to repay someone, Sam.

Sam did offer to save Benny; Benny refused. That's on Benny. Sam then tossed Benny the weapon so he'd at least have a fighting chance.

Now bring back Zachariah, Rufus, Ellen, and Trickster/Gabriel for an episode.

Zachariah can suck lemons, but the others I'd agree with. Can they take over Heaven, please, pretty please?

Edited by mustbekarma, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:21 PM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Other than that, it was nice to hear "balls" voiced so effectively one more time; and was that genuine concern for Bobby's soul from Naomi?

Nah, I think she was acting another ploy to get Dean on her side.

I liked the fact that Naomi realized the reason Dean didn't Angel proof the boat he because Dean wanted Castiel to be able to find him and come home.

Edited by morrigan2575, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:20 PM.

zombooni

zombooni

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

Finally, some substantial movement on the important stuff. Must have really blown the budget FX on this one.

First off, Benny. IMO, the best character that's been introduced on this show since Castiel, and totally wasted.
I called this months ago, that he would want to return to the purity of Purgatory and sure enough, Dean had the big hairy cojones to ask a huge favor like that, and Benny agreed to do it. Then Dean got one of the weakest apologies I've ever seen Sam give, considering how big a clusterfluck Sam made of the whole Benny business and how Benny saved his ass in the end. Sure the door is still open, but I won't be holding my breath to see my favorite vamp again.

Bobby was completely un-expected but fit into the storyline very nicely, and it was good to see him again. Loved how he took a strip off Sam for not looking for Dean.

Naomi is now working plan B and I'm so glad Dean isn't falling for it, but if she's not working directly with Crowley they sure are the best of frenemies.

Poor Kevin. I see now why they didn't hustle him into the safety of the bro-hole so they could bring this plot development about, but damn, leaving the kid alone on that scow was really, really stupid. Now his mom is dead and Crowley has him again. and neither Winchester tumbles to the fact that the kid was hearing Crowley in his head? That the King of Hell might be st a high enough paygrade to get around the warding sigils? Whatever show, make an effort to remember your own canon, will you? Probably going to drag the trials into next season now, aren't we?

Finally, given who the writers of this one were I was surprised, and a little pleasantly, that there were no scantily clad women in this one. Guess they couldn't figure out a way to cram a love scene into it this time, but I bet they tried- maybe Sam actually stopped to canoodle that pretty chick in the cell who thought he had come for her, but they had to cut it out for length.

I have liked Dean in the last couple of episodes, he's been on his game and working all the angles. Keep him like this show.

Finally, someone needs to explain to Padalecki about how much chewing of scenery he does anymore because I thought some of his scenes were so over the top they were embarrassing.

Edited by zombooni, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:37 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

My biggest complaint (which I'm sure I will go into at considerable length in the recap) is how rushed it was.

Every myth arc episode is like this this season. I don't get the pacing.

Was Mrs. Tran really dead or was Kevin imagining that?

Fan-freaking-tastic, another awesome character is no longer around. They introduced Benny this season, made him an excellent character, only to get rid of him. Let an awesome supporting character live for once. I know there's still Sheriff Jody, but the longer she's off the show the safer she is. Why get rid of Benny?

I think they only ever planned for Benny to maybe be evil, maybe die, then he became popular, Jensen clearly enjoyed working with him, so they may have been unsure.

He's dead now, topside, but given how easily they got into Purgatory in this episode, that also means he could come back.

I just want Dean to have friends. That's really all I want. Can he? Please?

And if Naomi makes him turn against Cas, or vice/versa, then I will officially begin wondering why they get all the depressing soap opera stories without any of the happier ones (Dean and Cas go on the run...with an elephant! Dean and Cas hide out in an empty department store!)

Parcae3

Parcae3

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

Oh, I forgot. RIP, Mrs. Tran. :(

Bergamot

Bergamot

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:25 PM

It was awesome seeing Benny again! And I like that apparently they left the door open for him to come back some day, by having Dean mention that he didn't burn his bones. He is one of my favorite secondary characters on the show. It was very satisfying the way Dean was proved right (and Sam shown to be wrong) about Benny being someone who had his back and didn't let him down.

The writers really shouldn't have attempted to show Hell so concretely. I don't think the show is capable of doing it justice when they show more than quick glimpses of it, and the attempt has really reduced the power of the whole idea of Hell.

Bellaloon22

Bellaloon22

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

Nice myth arc ep. But what was up with FakeDemon!Sam and was Crowley really there or has Kevin lost his marbles?

Observe

Observe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

And don't even get me started on Sam just stranding Benny there without trying to save him. Way to repay someone, Sam.

I don't think that's quite what happened... Benny seemed intent on staying. And Sam was there to do something: complete the trial. Had he joined in the fight, that could have been put in jeopardy.

But I share your frustration over poor continuity re accessing Hell and Purgatory.

I liked the fact that Naomi realized the reason Dean didn't Angel proof the boat he because Dean wanted Castiel to be able to find him and come home.

Yes! A bright spot!

Edited by Observe, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:33 PM.

Austinthecat

Austinthecat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

Bobby yelled at Sam when he found out Sam hadn't looked for Dean in Purgatory. Bobby called both brothers out on actions. I didn't see any favoritism there.

Ok, to be honest I was going by someone's running commentary due to an inability to watch it live. (I will obtain the episode though)

But from what was said, he realized Sam didn't look for Dean but seemed more upset that Dean made friends with a vampire. What was the context given by Sam, that Dean needed to escape Purgatory with the aid of said vampire or was it made to sound worse than it was?

He's dead now, topside, but given how easily they got into Purgatory in this episode, that also means he could come back.

Not that I don't want to see Benny again, but is this really a good thing? Should hell/Purgatory really be that easily accessible? It seems to take so much power away from those elements of the story, and as others have said, makes all the acrobatics of previous seasons seems unnecessary and overly dramatic. :/

amazinglybored

amazinglybored

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:35 PM

I just want Dean to have friends. That's really all I want. Can he? Please?

No, Sam forbids it. The only exceptions are Sam approved people. Perfectly normal and acceptable.

Every myth arc episode is like this this season. I don't get the pacing.

They need to fit in filler and spinoff attempt episodes, so, the mytharc gets condensed into one episode when it should probably be two. Seriously though, it's odd but not the worst of this show's issues.It's not a new problem. Weak writers who are allowed to do whatever they want is my guess, coupled with an inexperienced showrunner and Singer being Singer.

This episode was as crammed full as it was predictable. They need to leave Hell alone too, every single time they go into it with detail it gets weaker and weaker, it was scary when Dean first went through it, now it's just pathetic.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:37 PM

Not that I don't want to see Benny again, but is this really a good thing? Should hell/Purgatory really be that easily accessible? It seems to take so much power away from those elements of the story, and as others have said, makes all the acrobatics of previous seasons seems unnecessary and overly dramatic. :/

I don't have a big problem with Purgatory being somewhat accessible, as I think there is interesting material to be mined there (don't get me started on the waste of that Eve story). I agree Hell isn't something which should be easily accessible. The main problem was they once again crammed a ton of material into one episode, which meant everything was easy.

I am glad they had Dean say he wasn't burning Benny's bones. I think that's probably a sign he will be back.

Jensen Ackles nails the angst every time, but this was another episode where it was all angst. I wish everything wasn't always either lighthearted or despair city.

They need to fit in filler and spinoff attempt episodes, so, the mytharc gets condensed into one episode when it should probably be two.

I don't feel like they are trying for spinoffs most of the time (I do wonder about last week...), but I think they hear so much about how people don't like the myth stories, go back to MOTW, so they try to please several different fan groups, which means the myth arcs get less airtime. This season has been all about how Supernatural is 3 or 4 different shows. It's dizzying at times.

Edited by steve91199, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:39 PM.

AwesomO4000

AwesomO4000

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

What was the context given by Sam, that Dean needed to escape Purgatory with the aid of said vampire or was it made to sound worse than it was?

Austinthecat, from what I could tell from the scenes I saw (I was unable to see the whole show at once, but I have it taped) Bobby found out about Benny when Benny showed up in a fight Bobby and Sam were in, ripping out the throat of a monster. Bobby was going to kill Benny, but Sam stepped in and stopped him, saying that he knew Benny and that Benny was a friend of Dean's (and so shouldn't be killed, basically. Benny also added "a really good friend of Dean's") and that's when Bobby was all "What the hell? Dean is friends with a vampire? You guys went down hill while I was gone."

Bobby seemed to have had no idea who Benny was or that Dean knew him before that, so it appears Sam didn't mention Benny beforehand, and that that meeting was how Bobby found out about Benny and Dean's friendship.

Wynne88

Wynne88

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:44 PM

They have sure come a long way with their special effects and sets since Season 1.

Lemuria

Lemuria

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:45 PM

Where do we start? OK, the good stuff can be dealt with quickly: (1) The Dean-Benny scene was great, beautifully acted and very poignant.

(2) Finally, someone else on the show (other than Dean) who didn't think Sam's not looking for Dean was a mature or wonderful thing (and an acknowledgment of how bad a year in Purgatory must have been). Thanks, Bobby.

Now for the rest of it. Boy, they don't make Hell the way they used to, do they? Explain to me why it took a garrison of angels 40 years to fight their way across Hell? Getting in, breaking someone out of a cell (or whatever) and getting out--no sweat! Every time this show re-visits or retcons something, the writers make it smaller and less impressive, and they don't seem to recognize the problem with that.

And how come Dean and Sam could see a reaper? Plus, we've met Death. Does he strike anyone as the kind of being who would be copacetic with one of his minions misdirecting souls for whatever passes for currency--favors?--with reapers? Edited to add: or what Parcae posted while I was taking forever to type this!

You'd think that after Bobby's dressing down, Sam might actually apologize to Dean once he got back. Or say he's sorry that Dean lost a friend to rescue Sam's sorry ass. But the most Sam the Self-Absorbed will do is to grudgingly concede that maybe a vampire that just saved Sam might not be as bad as Sam had insisted he was. Wow, generous and mature of you there, buddy. (Not to mention, you apparently have to do something for Sam to have even an iota of a chance of gaining his approval.)

(I'm still waiting for the show to give me a reason to believe that anyone, including Dean, would really be happy to have a Sam in his life.)

Just how stupid are the Trans? Especially Kevin. Yeah, you think Crowley is going to find you, so sure, hide the tablet and tell none of the good guys where it is. If you're not going to work on it--and clearly, if you're keeping it tucked away from you, you aren't going to be working on it--wouldn't letting someone else hide it and not tell you where it is be the safer option? (Garth is clearly still incompetent, since he did such a great job of demon-proofing the boat. Not.)

Just where is Sam's trialburculosis, anyway? This is just like the idiot hallucinations that Sam had, except when he didn't (which was most of the time). Carver learned nothing from Gamble's missteps, did he?

At least, there was some acknowledgment from Bobby about how bad being there would have been for Dean to have been in Purgatory for a year--even though he and Sam apparently ended up in Purgatory -light. Lucky them.

Edited by Lemuria, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:53 PM.

MissMillson

MissMillson

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:46 PM

Well I liked it better than the crap we've been getting lately. It brought in some characters I liked and wasn't a total snore fest or offensive.

I liked the whole premise of the episode although I must admit when I heard the trial was taking an innocent soul from hell and sending it to heaven I thought that the soul in question would be Adam. IMHO that would have been a whole lot more compelling since Bobby's already had two freaking send offs. At least having it be Adam would give me some goddamn closure on his character but I think the writers have just forgotten he ever existed. However, it was nice to see Jim Beaver again and i'm glad Bobby is in heaven.

It was also smart sending Sam to Purgatory so he could get a taste of what he condemned Dean to for a year while he was playing house. I just wish we could have seen more of him there or that he'd been there for longer so that he'd REALLY get it. I also noted no apology come out of Sam's mouth after he got back for 1) leaving Dean in purgatory and 2) being wrong about Benny and threatening him to Dean's face. Also no thanks for Dean sending his best friend in there. Another thing that bugged me about Sam's attitude is the dismissal of Bobby's request to be brought back from heaven like "yeah, yeah, no of course Bobby" when he clearly isn't paying attention. Bobby was being serious and Sam just clearly lied. Sam is frustrating me to no end this season. At least they didn't do what I thought they were going to do and have Dean not believe that Sam tried to get Benny out.

Wish they would have played up the whole going back to hell thing 'cause that's a pretty big deal for both of them but hell was really well done and the whole scene left me truly unsettled.

Sad (okay REALLY sad) to see Benny go but that was really sweet of him to go back for Dean. I'm going to miss their relationship.

Speaking of relationships, if Dean trusts Naomi over Cas i'm going to lose it. Also, when dean talked about needing someone with experience in getting souls out of hell, or something along that line, I was SO SURE he was going to call Cas. It would have been nice to revisit him pulling Dean from Hell and it makes a little more sense than any old reaper being able to do it.

Crowley was pretty great this episode, especially in the cab with the reaper. I am confused how he got to Kevin though since there was a devil's trap where Kevin was standing, which leads me to believe Kevin is just seeing things and bolted. Poor Kevin. That kid needs the biggest hug.

Oh and this reaper was NOT the same one that took Bobby to hell. That reaper had a smooth and commanding presence unlike this cowardly one. But again i'm looking for some continuity in Supernatural.

Edited by MissMillson, Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:55 PM.

Elais

Elais

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:47 PM

I see a lot of talk about Sam not wanting Dean to have friends. Why is that Dean still seems to have more friends than Sam?