Gleb Savchenko: All the good names were taken

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

I'm prepared to accept him as my new brooding-eye-candy, but seriously, I'm having a hard time getting past a name like Gleb. I'm hoping it sounds better in Russian.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

I'm prepared to accept him as my new brooding-eye-candy, but seriously, I'm having a hard time getting past a name like Gleb. I'm hoping it sounds better in Russian.

Yeah, he's definitely good looking, but there's something about him that's off putting for me and I can't quite pin point what it is.

Sparkylove

Sparkylove

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 12:36 PM

I think maybe he's too pretty to register with me. Kind of like a Ken doll come to life. I like my eye candy a bit more scruffy and not seeming like they would spend longer than I would getting ready. He still seems like a nice enough guy and he handles Lisa quite well - which is probably harder than it looks.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

I like him. He seems like he's easy going, but still expects his celebrity to put in the work. I would really like to see him with someone more capable like Kellie or Zendaya. I've seen his competition videos and he's very good, but you would never know with he's had to work with on here. Hopefully, he gets asked back for another season and is able to show what he's capable of. I love that he doesn't take himself too seriously and has a good sense of humor about himself and this situation, while still looking grateful to be there.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

I like him. Based on the interviews I've watched of him and Lisa and all of the pre-dance packages I think he comes off as very nice, eager to please, and quite dim. And horny. I could do without all the butt smacking, crotch grinding choreography that he keeps doing. He's like an un-neutered golden retriever who wags his tail and wants to play catch and then humps your leg every time he brings the ball back to you.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

And horny. I could do without all the butt smacking, crotch grinding choreography that he keeps doing. He's like an un-neutered golden retriever who wags his tail and wants to play catch and then humps your leg every time he brings the ball back to you.

That might be it for me--especially coupled with Lisa who seems a bit flirty. I only half pay attention to some of the non-dancing stuff, so I'll pay closer attention next week, since everyone seems to like him.

I just realized tonight, though, who he looks like: James Franco! Google images of each of them and tell me if it's just me.

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 11:38 AM

The guy is gorgeous. I can't seem to take my eyes off him. But the problem is that he seems to feel the exact same way. Gleb spends way too much time looking for the camera, and smiling his oh-so-perfect smile at it. Not that I'm complaining, because that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make at this point, but I could see it getting really annoying, really fast.

OwlsGo

OwlsGo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

I don't think he seems like a very nice person. No comment on the Lisa fainting being staged or not, but they have the least amount of chemistry of any couple this season.

I actually think I prefer Lindsay as a pro to him. At least she and Victor are cute together.

Edited by OwlsGo, Apr 8, 2013 @ 9:27 PM.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 9:59 PM

I thought maybe he thought Lisa was just being dramatic and didn't realize she was actually passed out at first. I don't know. He does not seem like an intelligent person and not just in a Derek-can't-do-math way. Even I was like "Dude, you CAN'T do that" with the big ol' lift he did tonight, but he still didn't seem to get what Carrie Ann was saying.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Does anybody else find this a weird answer about his marriage:

I've been married for six years, but it's just something I'm not really talking about that much," Savchenko says of wife, Elena Samadanova who is also a dancer (but isn't on DWTS). "If someone asks me, I'll say, 'Yes, I am [married],' because I don't want to lie. I want to be honest, but it's not something I'll just go and talk on every single corner about. But I'm very happy.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 9, 2013 @ 9:26 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 10:41 PM

Does anybody else find this a weird answer about his marriage:
"I've been married for six years, but it's just something I'm not really talking about that much," Savchenko says of wife, Elena Samadanova who is also a dancer (but isn't on DWTS). "If someone asks me, I'll say, 'Yes, I am [married],' because I don't want to lie. I want to be honest, but it's not something I'll just go and talk on every single corner about. But I'm very happy."

Me. I find it weird.

What? WTH? Was this perhaps translated from another language and something got lost? WTH? Whaaa?

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

http://www.people.co...0685937,00.html

My favorite bit: "If someone asks me, I'll say, "Yes, I am because I don't want to lie."

LOLOLOL

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 11:08 PM

What in the world? It sounds like he thinks it would be better for his image for fans to think he is single, but he knows it would look bad for him to lie about having a wife. Mostly, he hopes he just doesn't have to talk about it very much.

You know how Jennifer Lawrence tripped up the steps at the Oscars and Hugh Jackman and Bradley Cooper instinctively rushed to her, and people swooned at the gallantry? I don't know what you would call the opposite of swooning and gallantry, but that was my feeling watching Gleb with Lisa after she fainted.

Edited by Dejana, Apr 8, 2013 @ 11:14 PM.

peacefulsong

peacefulsong

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

Why is it weird? It just sounds like he doesn't want to discuss his personal life if he can avoid it. His English can be a little funny sometimes, but I actually like that he feels that way.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 11:33 PM

I just took that statement as meaning that he rather not discuss his personal life because it has nothing to do with his professional one. He has no problem going to events and being photographed with her, so I don't think it's a case of him not wanting to acknowledge her. I rather appreciate not having to hear about the dancers personal lives. Some are just too free flowing with info in that area.

I actually giggled at Gleb's reaction when Lisa fainted. I don't think it was a matter of him not caring. I think he was just processing the surreal-ness of it all. It did look overly dramatic and maybe he didn't know whether she actually fainted or was joking. When he realized she really did faint he behaved accordingly.

TraceyH

TraceyH

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 4:08 PM

I would have been bothered by his lack of a reaction to her fainting if he hadn't seemed so concerned about her afterwards. Like when she wanted to go back to the rehearsal studio and he insisted on taking her home. That didn't seem cold or uncaring to me. The way he completely non-acted when she fainted actually made me laugh though, like hey Gleb maybe you should check on her?

I hope he sticks around as a pro for next season with a partner that actually has some charisma. I think Lisa's doing him a disservice by pushing him to take his shirt off and bring the sexy. Last week she made a comment about if she went home it would be his fault for not being sexy now. Whatever Lisa. I also think he's being unfairly touted as Mak's replacement. To me we have Val to fill that role.

crowceilidh

crowceilidh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Last week she made a comment about if she went home it would be his fault for not being sexy now

"

I have no love for either of them - but I thought it was utterly clear that Lisa was making a joke - she is one of those people who make little jokes (the kind one smiles at, but not the kind that one laughs out loud at) - I think she knows that the idea of Gleb not being sexy enough is preposterous (even if, like me, you do not personally react to him (I like my beautiful guys to be conspicuously smart, too)) - so it struck me clearly as a joke.

TraceyH

TraceyH

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 5:05 PM

Oh I agree that she was joking. My point was that she isn't do him any favors. It's like he has no personality outside of being pretty so that's all they play up (not just Lisa and Gleb but the DWTS producers as well). That's probably a result of bad editing too. I also agree that he doesn't come off as very intelligent but that, again, might be the editing -- or not, it's really hard to tell.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

So long, Gleb! Maybe I thought you didn't seem that bright or were verrrry slow to react to a fainting woman but you did look like a walking, talking, real-life Disney Prince.

This thread title makes me laugh even though I know that Gleb's a perfectly normal Russian name. It's like how people think French women have such "pretty" names, thinking of Mélanie, Rénee, Brigitte, etc. and not Huguette or Mahaut.

Edited by Dejana, Apr 9, 2013 @ 11:59 PM.

sidwich

sidwich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:17 PM

Gleb really definitely didn't make an impression on me in intelligence, personality or charisma as a pro, but I don't knock him too much on the slow reaction to the fainting. A friend of mine tagged along to my regular spin class, and yup, you guessed it! She fainted in the middle of class (Note: It's important to have sufficient fluids and calories before exercising, kids...).

Almost all of us kept peddling in shock for about a minute before having a reaction to her laid out on the floor. And then of course the panic set it. (She was fine.)

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2013 @ 3:53 PM

Gleb with wife and daughter at rehearsal studio.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2013 @ 11:23 PM

Is that his stepdaughter?  I don't know why I'm so flabbergasted that he has a child.  Maybe it's because I've read several bio's and there's no mention of her.  Or because he looks so young??  Or.... never mind :)

I found this one of his bios a fun read:

I went to Hong Kong and decided to stay and work for one of the biggest dance studio. Soon I had a new partner and started to represent Hong Kong at the dance competitions and became a Hong Kong Champion  2007,2008,2009. I also continued my modeling and acting career over there. Being a good and well known dancer I applied for distinguished talent visa in Australia and got a permanent residency as an extraordinary person. Now I’m still keeping my work visa in Hong Kong and travel back and forth between Sydney and Asia. I have a lots of work as model in Sydney and doing my dance teaching.

http://sgleb.com/web/biography

I'm not sure if I'd rather have Gleb back or Maks.  Hey, how about Dmitry instead of either?

Edited by Elsa, May 4, 2013 @ 11:32 PM.

peacefulsong

peacefulsong

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2013 @ 6:06 AM

That's his daughter, I believe her name is Olivia. He is pretty quiet on the subject of his family. A couple of days ago he mentioned looking forward to his wife returning from Russia and I was surprised because I'd never heard him mention her without being asked before. The only indirect mention I've seen from him about his daughter was an instagram photo of his living room where you could see toys everywhere. He seems inclined to keep personal and professional well separated which I find kind of refreshing.

alldance

alldance

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

I really don't think his motives are that pure in trying to keep his personal & professional life separated. I think his being quiet is more aligned with thinking his image as a family man may not garner him as many fans as one of being single. He even says as much here:  http://starmagazine....bs-secret-wife/

So how come there’s little mention of the happy family that is living with Gleb in Los Angeles? That would ruin the illusion. “I try not to mention it so I don’t scare all the girls,” laughs Gleb. “Will they still fall in love with me now? I hope so.”

This was early on in the season & when he was still lumping Elena in with others he tagged on twitter & calling them all good friends. Since then, he seems to be acknowledging her more so perhaps he has figured out that the 'single' illusion wasn't in his best interest afer all.

blaase

blaase

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2013 @ 1:08 PM

Gleb is so freaking hot, that is all.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

Isn't he sweet?  I've always been a big Dmitry fan, but when I heard he was on the results show this week, for the 2nd appearance this season, I wondered about Gleb's future.  They're awfully alike, imo.  And also both similar to Maks.  It'll be interesting to hear (1) if DWTS will be back in the Fall, after the rumor they were thinking of skipping a season; and (2) if we have Maks, Gleb, Dmitry, or some subset of those three, on Season 17.  Hmmm.

Edited by Elsa, Jun 4, 2013 @ 4:47 PM.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 1:22 PM

It looks like Gleb and family will be settling in the US. His wife is looking for a house. I wonder if it means that he'll be back next season.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2013 @ 8:19 PM

I wish I remembered all the details, but there were rumors around that Gleb's wife (Elena Samodanova) was going to be in the troupe.  I think the first mention that he had a 'wife' came from Henry Byalikov, and I got nosy and checked out Gleb's old tweets and noticed he kept saying "we" were moving to L.A. and once he said "my better half" when referring to her, but I still thought maybe she was just his competition dance partner, because he seemed sort of cagey about it.  Anyway, I think it was at the last minute that Witney became available (she'd been filming a movie or something.) 

This is pure conjecture - but I wonder if DWTS has picked her up (or maybe already had her on contract due to the 'last minute' situation with Witney) and she's been told she'll be on the show next season, due to whatever decisions they've made regarding Lindsay/Witney (and the other pro women, for that matter.) 

Elena competed in the Australian version of DWTS in 2012, as Gleb did - I think they were both newbies - and Gleb and his partner Miss Australia 2006 Erin McNaught were booted first -- Elena was with Aussie pop singer Shannon Noll, who withdrew in Week 4 after being injured doing a lift with Elena and having to have back surgery. 

Anyway here's a youtube of Gleb and his beauty queen - apparently they allow lifts in Foxtrot in Australia:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jwcfsbfGRdo

Erin looks like a pretty good dancer to me - maybe they have the same sort of bias against supermodels and pageant girls (e.g. Shandi Finnessey) over there as we seem to here.  I don't like Gleb's hair slicked back and I think he's too competition-style prissy in this video, but hey, maybe that's just me.  I don't remember it bothering me with him and Lisa but she wasn't near the dancer this girl is, imo, so maybe he dialed himself down.

And here's Elena and Shannon doing the Jive, and it's full of lifts too.  If Carrie Ann judged there, she'd need a new subject to be assigned to bitch about.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZneJZppbpfM

Edited by Elsa, May 10, 2013 @ 8:54 PM.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 11:42 AM

I loved Sharna immediately which is weird for me for a new pro, BUT... this Gleb dude is really growing on me in the new pro category. Oddly enough, I find him more appealing without Lisa, so maybe it was Lisa who I actually disliked upon first impression. He is very good looking, seems talented; and again, he's so growing on me lately.

Also, I think he got sacked with the scripted BS situation in the trio dance among Gleb, Val, and Zendaya in which Gleb got reprimanded by Val for being too sexual/sexy or whatever. I do NOT think Gleb's a pedophile hitting on a child in a woman's body. BLARG. I don't like having minors on the show. Period. Gleb did a great job, imo.

peacefulsong

peacefulsong

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2013 @ 12:59 PM

I don't think Val or the show were trying to make it look like Gleb was hitting on anyone. It was just a dance move that wasn't what Val was going for with her.