Orphan Black

• Please log in to reply

1402 replies to this topic

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 7:42 PM

Watching over the first season, preparing myself for the second go around, for some reason something sticks out at me with the Amelia and Sarah scenes, especially when she finds her bleeding out. 

I credit Tatiana and the actress playing the birth mother with making me feel sad and sorry for Sarah. I liked how they honored the idea that this woman, while not the twins biological mother, did love them as her own, wanting to protect them at all costs. Though she may not have made the best choices, she made the ones she thought she had to, and she came back for the same reasons. 

With this show they aren't really trying to label characters based on behavior, which is part of the reason why I like the show so much, it's more about human beings than being this show that splits right down the middle, separating the do gooders from the baddies.

Those that do good can be capable of evil and vice versa, and I think that's what so many shows, Sci-Fi and otherwise, often miss the mark on and they focus so much on having heroes and villains instead of just people, interesting and intriguing yet flawed people.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 4:31 PM

This is pretty fun and serves as a nice refresher course for Season One (not that I'm not going to marathon that shit like 5 more times between now and a week Saturday anyway, but still).

http://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbsp/bbcamerica/things-i-now-know-after-binge-watching-orphan-black 

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 4:34 PM

I've been binge watching this on my Kindle and love it.  I hope you all keep posting here until the bitter end, or move over to previously.tv so I have someone to talk to about it.  I've got 2 more episodes to go so I haven't read back through the thread for fear of being spoiled.  I'll catch up before the Season 2 premiere!

toomuchtv47

toomuchtv47

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 5:50 PM

Ten more days?  Ugh so long to wait.  I've been telling everyone I know to watch this but I think I need to get better friends or at least ones who watch the same shows as I do.  Tatiana Maslany is so talented and I can't wait to see her bring new clones to life.  I even went out and bought the EW issue with her on the cover because of the way she makes each clone look different over and above the make up and hair.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 6:28 PM

I read the dvds of season 1 don't have a lot of extras.  Does anybody know if they edit (cut out things) in BBC America?  I'm trying to decide if I should buy it or just watch my BBCAmerica disks.

Riful

Riful

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 4:03 AM

As a consequence of forcing my SO to watch Orphan Black, I just re-watched the entire first season. Not that I minded, it is good with a refresher. There was one thing that really stood out to me, which either is a plot hole or maybe something that will come up later.

The blackmail used on Paul makes no sense if we are to believe what he says. He told Sarah that he accidentally killed 6 of his squad mates through friendly fire and DYAD made it all go away. Here is the thing. If you kill someone through an accident, you do not go to jail. There will be a very very throughout investigation, but if it was an accident, then you go free. So if Paul was/is telling the truth, then there was nothing for DYAD to cover up.

In investigations about accidental deaths, it is often determined that they were caused by negligence. If that was the case, then he would face jail time and DYAD actually had something to cover up. But on the other hand, that makes Paul less sympathetic since he is essentially getting away with killing 6 people.

Or maybe he actually killed them for some reason yet to be revealed. The picture of him shows him roughed up, so I wonder if the PMC's he was with, perhaps were involved in something bad. Maybe he was working for DYAD or was connected to them unknowingly already back then.

Edited by Riful, Apr 10, 2014 @ 4:07 AM.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

I don't think they were from his squad. They made the point that he killed six marines so assuming Paul is Canadian, so that means he killed six American soldiers. Also, I thought Paul might private contractor at the time as well? More reason for them to cover it up.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 10:40 AM

It's also possible he had no way to prove it had been an accident.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:41 PM

That's what I always thought...he had no way of actually proving his innocence.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 5:58 PM

That and the simple fact that DYAD covered it up automatically makes it look 100000% shadier if they decide to leak evidence of what he did.  Even if it was 100% an accident (and I think it's possible there's more to the story than we've heard and we might find out more this season if they decide to actually develop Paul more), by the time a shady corporation comes in and mucks with evidence, if anything does come to light, how do you explain why it was hidden before?

This is the way I always read the situation - DYAD had their eye on Paul as a possible useful asset.  Maybe before Afg. maybe not.  Maybe they tried to recruit him and he turned them down, maybe they just like having a few employees they control completely and they're always looking for blackmail-able recruits, but whatever the reason they decide to interfere in Afg. to get him under control.  So they step in to what I'm sure was already a screwed up situation, and they turned it into a totally fucked up situation.  They tamper with evidence.  They make things conveniently disappear.  Now even if it was 100% an accident and even if Paul wanted to take responsibility, DYAD has created a conspiracy, and they're totally in control of it.  If they made evidence disappear how hard would it be to create new false evidence, or twist whatever's left?  Or just leak evidence of the evidence tampering that went on?  "Do what we say or you'll take the fall for purposefully murdering these people and here's how we can "prove" it".

I could be wrong on that read.  Like I said I think we may find out more.  All we have to go on right now is one picture and one conversation in an elevator that was about 3 sentences and wasn't exactly meant to paint a full detailed picture.  But my impression was that whatever consequences he might have faced if an investigation had proceeded as normal are completely irrelevant - once DYAD stepped in it was their ballgame. 

Edited by caitlin claire, Apr 10, 2014 @ 6:12 PM.

TheLabRat

TheLabRat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 6:13 PM

Plus Paul wasn't actual military, but some kind of private military defense contractor type (or at least that's what I thought was established).

metsmvfn

metsmvfn

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 8:36 PM

Jordan was in our local morning news today.Tatiana will be on the same show tomorrow. the show streams live online. Tatiana should be on at the 9am pacific time . 

http://www.myfoxla.c.../jordan-gavaris

(sorry could not link this up)

ETA: There is a clip from the upcoming season.

Riful

Riful

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 2:20 PM

Sorry by PMC I meant Private Military Contractor. I keep forgetting that on TWOP it is (rightfully so) bad manners to use abbreviations. By being a private military contractor, it does not make things really worse for Paul or change the laws surrounding friendly fire and accidental killings. Friendly fire happens a lot in those high conflict areas, and I would think a judge would be inclined to believe him vs. thinking he suddenly killed 6 people on purpose. So if it was truly an accident, I think Paul would not have much to fear.

I don't think DYAD covered it up before making the offer to do so to Paul and he agreed, though yeah a cover up makes everything look much worse. Nevertheless I can't picture that DYAD would risk wasting resources on someone they weren't sure to get into their control, since Paul might have told them to go screw themselves. My main theory is that those guys he was with, were doing something bad and he couldn't accept it/be a part of it. Something went down and he ended up killing them. The picture shows him roughed up like he has been fighting, not just firing his weapon. I agree what we have isn't much to go by, though at the moment I am not really buying Paul's story either.

Getting some elaboration on this part of Paul's past might be interesting, and help flesh out his character some more. There are I think 3(?) new male characters, so not sure how much screen time there will be for Paul. Not that I am a fan of his character or the actor, but I am a little bit curious about this bit.

Edited by Riful, Apr 11, 2014 @ 2:22 PM.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 6:01 PM

I'm rewatching "Unconscious Selection" and the discussion of Kira's healing "powers" made me wonder if Sarah hasn't already demonstrated something similar.  We seem to know she's never been seriously hurt or sick, and she was in what was apparently a physically abusive relationship with Vic for sometime, but without apparently having the type of serious injury he seems very qualified to dish out.  She's also been exposed to drugs and around drugs pretty extensively, but doesn't seem to have an addiction.  Now, to be fair, neither does Fe, but he asks about using and is shown using quite a lot.  We never see Sarah going for anything stronger than alcohol though.  I wonder if this potential healing ability means she isn't subject to the physical addiction of drug use.

Skyfall

Skyfall

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 7:07 PM

Will Wheaton please host an Orphan Black aftershow!

Riful

Riful

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 4:02 AM

That new sneak peak definitely set up some new interesting things regarding DYAD and the people we know from there.

Link from those who haven't seen: http://thecloneclub....in-orphan-black

It seems that Leeki does genuinely care about the health of the clones. Another clip showed him also arguing with Rachel over Cosima and Sarah. I got the impression from those conversation snippet that Rachel was refusing to help Cosima until Sarah did as she wanted.

Also damn, Rachel insists on being monitored by someone she considers unbiased, which is just such a contrast with the other clones. I wasn't really interested in Rachel before, but now when I think about it, she will provide a very fascinating counter point to our current group as she grew up self-aware and a part of DYAD.

I am guessing that perhaps it is those Prolethians that got Kira. I know the guy with the cowboy hat in the (I think) EW promo picture was spotted as having the same fish symbol on his belt buckle as Helena's knife. If it was DYAD Sarah wouldn't be running around pissing Rachel off.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 6:34 AM

I will give BBC America credit for getting a host who is a fan of the show instead of some random no-name faux celebrity. And I give Wil Wheaton credit for doing research before hosting (although none of what he said he found in his research seemed particularly in depth - for example, that thing about Tatiana listening to different music for each character was on the official Orphan Black website last year during S1).

I liked that Patton Oswalt and Orlando Jones are also such diehard fans and were willing to come do this even though they weren't featured for very long. Part of what I found interesting about the comments and questions from Patton, Orlando, and Wil is that they love the show as audience members but they also admire it from the technical viewpoint of writing, acting, directing, etc. Some of their questions were very specific about those aspects, which I appreciate because often the mainstream press coverage only give minmal lip service to the non-flashy stuff. In the case of Orphan Black, the articles tend to focus on how amazing Tatiana is (which I totally agree with) and sometimes the difficulties of shooting the scenes with multiple clones but they don't go much further than that.

I wish that more of the actors had been asked questions, but I guess they had so many people and only so much time. One thing I didn't like about Wil Wheaton's hosting is that he kept referring to the actors as if they were their characters when he introduced them. You'd think that as an actor, he would have avoided that.

Hee, I loved when Tatiana said that her inspiration for all her different characters was the Klumps. Patton Oswalt is welcome to come back any time! He seemed a lot more laidback about interacting with her than Wil did (although I suppose maybe Wil was trying to do his job as a host and Patton didn't have that pressure). I want to like Wil Wheaton because I read one of his books and he seems like a smart, funny guy but he needs to calm down if they let him do this again. I wouldn't mind having a weekly post-show chat after every episode.

Wil Wheaton did win points for asking them not to fuck it up. I quit watching Lost some time during the third season because I just couldn't take the polar bears and smoke monster crap anymore. For the record, every time I typed "Wil Wheaton" in this post, I heard Stewie Griffin saying it in my head.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

I noticed that there's a lot of Tatiana in Sarah. At times, when Tatiana was sitting there just being herself, her mannerisms made it feel like I was watching Sarah.

Agent Dark

Agent Dark

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 6:59 PM

I want to like Wil Wheaton because I read one of his books and he seems like a smart, funny guy but he needs to calm down if they let him do this again. I wouldn't mind having a weekly post-show chat after every episode.

Watch his show "Tabletop" on Youtube.  He gets a group of his friends - often 'celebrity' friends - around and plays a tabletop boardgame (like Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne etc).  Would be pretty sweet if Tatiana guested on that.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 01:20 PM

So I'm through episode 6 of my rewatch and this show is still so damn good. It occurred to me that this is the only show I'm watching right now where I genuinely want to know more about every character. Even Paul. I'm not much of a fan of Dylan Bruce's acting, but I really would love to know more about Afghanistan and how Olivier and Leekie etc got to him in the first place. Actually, I'd love to know more about the other monitors as well. Like how did Donnie get turned into a monitor? I'd find it hard to believe they got to him in high school, so what did they tell him to get him to start watching his high school sweat heart turned wife and mother of his children? Exactly how much did Delphine know about Cosima before she was sent to monitor her? How did she get that job? DId she offer or was she forced in some way? The fuck was up with her and Leekie? I didn't notice it the first time I watched (I think I was to busy thinking "Oh, girl, no!"), but the reveal where we see that they are working together she seemed . . . . decidedly uncomfortable.

Then there's Mrs S. who I want to know every goddamn thing about. Like, why did she bring Felix to Canada with Sarah if Sarah was the only one who needed to be hidden? If Fee was just another kid she took in wasn't Mrs S willfully putting another child in (potential) danger by bringing him along?

And on another note: I love that the cops on this show aren't idiots.

In other words, I am this show's bitch.

Edited by hardy har, Yesterday, 02:38 PM.

CynfullySnarky

CynfullySnarky

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Didn't Mrs. S. adopt him at the same time as Sarah?  If she was his legal guardian, I don't think she'd leave him behind.  Plus, I get the feeling that Sarah and Felix were particularly close, so even if that weren't the case, she may have brought him to make the shock of moving to a different country less traumatic.

What has me wondering is, if Mrs. S. knew about DYAD and Project Leda and left Brixton to move someplace safe from them (which is what she said to Sarah), why would she move to the *same exact city* as where DYAD/Leekie/et al are headquartered?  IMO that seems a bit hinky and goes against what she told Sarah.

As for Donnie, part of me wonders if his parents weren't involved with this whole thing and he was brought up as a believer of a sorts and knew from the get-go about it.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Today, 02:02 AM

Tatiana on Conan

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Today, 05:57 AM

What has me wondering is, if Mrs. S. knew about DYAD and Project Leda and left Brixton to move someplace safe from them (which is what she said to Sarah), why would she move to the *same exact city* as where DYAD/Leekie/et al are headquartered?  IMO that seems a bit hinky and goes against what she told Sarah.

Leekie had to fly in to have his meetings with the clones at the end of the season--that Rachel was there is a bit of plot contrivance, but Leekie was in the same place as Cosima earlier, though I think he was visiting there as well.  But they probably have facilities everywhere they have a clone, in order to do all the testing and whatnot they want.  And they happened to move where Allison is, essentially.