Orphan Black

• Please log in to reply

1400 replies to this topic

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

This starts tonight on Space here in Canada at 9 pm. I'll be watching and hoping it lives up to the hype.

From the show description :

After witnessing a woman’s suicide, Sarah assumes her identity hoping that cleaning out the dead woman’s bank account will solve all of her problems. Instead, the street smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. She makes the dizzying discovery that she and the dead woman are clones… but are they the only ones? With an assassin hot on her trail, Sarah is racing for answers.

A slightly longer description from another source which sums things up a little more concisely :

Orphan Black follows outsider, orphan and street-wise chameleon Sarah. After witnessing a woman's suicide, Sarah assumes the strangers identity - who happens to look just like her. Expecting to solve all her problems by cleaning out the dead woman's savings, Sarah is instead thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery as she realizes the dizzying truth - she and the dead woman are clones. As Sarah searches for answers, she discovers the chilling fact that there are more people like her out there - genetically identical individuals who were planted in unsuspecting birth parents and nurtured in completely different circumstances. With no idea who created the clones, she'll need to discover the reason in a hurry as an assassin is killing them one by one.

Tatiana has been on talk shows explaining the cloning aspect of the show so I don't believe it's a spoiler. It's also been given away in some of the previews.

It stars Tatiana Maslany, Jordan Gavaris and Dylan Bruce. Tatiana has been in several Canadian series including "Homeland" and "Being Erica". Don't know much about the other actors.

Apparently it's a BBC America/Space effort and only their second original series after "Copper". Quite liked "Copper", so will be looking forward to seeing how this one fares.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 5:22 PM

Thanks for the description. I read another description that made me think this was a clone of CW's horrible Ringer. I'll be tuning in for this one.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

I'm planning on giving it a go since it's following Doctor Who, and it's not like I'm watching much on Saturdays anyway. Not famailar with the actress, but judging from the previews, she seems to be doing a good job at playing the different characters, which is a good thing. The question will be if the story is strong enough, but it's worth a shot.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 9:05 PM

The pacing was a bit off. I was interested but not super engaged until the final section.

The main actress was great at displaying her true emotions then hiding them.

I like her brother Felix and the complications of trying to leave her life behind and not just taking over Beth's. I'm guessing the murder investigation is going to lead into her partner being implicated.

I'm still willing to give it a chance.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

It definitely was a bit uneven, but then most pilots are. Have to say the hour went by really fast even with the commercials. I generally watch stuff on the PVR and not live so I couldn't believe it when the credits started rolling.

Was I the only one who didn't get any sound when they were showing the previews for next week?

On the purely shallow end, can I say how hot Beth's boyfriend is?! Don't think I've ever seen him in anything before or if I did it couldn't have been a large part or very memorable.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 9:39 PM

Was I the only one who didn't get any sound when they were showing the previews for next week?
I had sound on mine GG63.

It was a decent to good pilot, it kept me interested so that's a plus. Just had a little hard time with hearing/understanding some dialogue in the beginning with Sarah and Felix.

I didn't remember reading about a German clone so when she popped up in "Beth's" car I was surprised to see her. And also surprised she got killed off so quickly.

On the purely shallow end, can I say how hot Beth's boyfriend is?!

Hellooo! He's definitely easy on the eyes and from what I saw, has a pretty perfect body. And model good looks.

I knew Sarah drank that soap so she'd throw up, so I was prepared to look away when the time came. Puking scenes are high on my gross-out lists in tv/movies so I can't stand watching them. I can deal with horror movies with all their blood galore, but damn it if up-chucking scenes makes me turn away.The "ick factor" is off the charts for me.

kraft

kraft

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:17 PM

Orphan Black looks to be a very interesting show!

Loved Rimbaud in Felix's window.

How come there was nothing indicating that Beth is a cop in her apartment..gun?...badge?

I don't think that people who walk in front of trains end up with their heads intact.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:40 PM

On the purely shallow end, can I say how hot Beth's boyfriend is?

And she didn't enjoy him or his body on any level, which is hilarious.

Edited by patriotickid, Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:40 PM.

GG63

GG63

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

I knew Sarah drank that soap so she'd throw up, so I was prepared to look away when the time came. Puking scenes are high on my gross-out lists in tv/movies so I can't stand watching them. I can deal with horror movies with all their blood galore, but damn it if up-chucking scenes makes me turn away.The "ick factor" is off the charts for me.

I'm with you on this one. Thankfully I figured it out too and held up a hand so I wouldn't see anything.

I do have it on the PVR, so will recheck the ending for sound on the previews.

How come there was nothing indicating that Beth is a cop in her apartment..gun?...badge?

I got the impression she's on suspension. Wouldn't that mean she would have to turn in her badge and gun until things are resolved?

edited to add:

I didn't remember reading about a German clone so when she popped up in "Beth's" car I was surprised to see her.

I think one of the birth certificates had a German name on it. Didn't think she would be in the same country but then we have no idea how many of these clones had contact with Beth and what she was doing with the information she had about them.

Edited by GG63, Mar 30, 2013 @ 11:01 PM.

Pazlovejoy

Pazlovejoy

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

I enjoyed the pilot until the scene where Sarah put $75,000 into the trunk of her car for her partner to find. Who would let that kind of money out of their sight? I hate it when characters do things because it's in the script.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 11:39 PM

I thought it had some of the typical pilot kinks and a few bits that were annoying (leaving that much money in the trunk of her car), but it was pretty good for a pilot and I'll stick with it for now. My main concern is where the story will be going; if there are any big mysterious or twists, I really hope it avoids the cliches and pit-falls that seemed to happen on a lot of similar shows.

Still, I like the look of it, I thought it really picked up at the end, I already enjoy the Felix character, and I think Tatiana Maslany is doing a pretty great job in her roles. I loved her playing both Sarah, Beth in the videos and Sarah's version of "Beth." I already find Sarah an interesting character, especially since there is a lot about her that is unlikable. She is a con-artist, apparently abandoned her daughter for 10 months, and is pretty good at manipulating people. After really thinking about it, it's kind of disturbing she had sex with Paul, because it's under false pretense. Granted, it wasn't because she just wanted to bang him, but to distract him from questioning and discovering her, but still. Reminded me of Fringe, when Alt-Olivia did that with Peter. Still, I kind of like they are willing to go there with this character.

So, besides the clone thing, I'm guessing her other issues for this season will be her detective partner keeping his eye on her, trying to keep Paul in the dark, and possibly more with her ex. I also wonder if they'll go more into Beth's shooting. Either way, I'm intrigued for now.

Edited by thuganomics85, Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:25 AM.

mowgo2

mowgo2

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:29 AM

I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch Orphan Black. It was OK, but not great. I might watch a couple of more episodes before deciding if I like it. Pilots aren't always a sign of what the show will be.

One of the problems that I had was that Beth's suicide would have brought dozens of police to the scene. The police photographer would have taken photos of her. Since she was an unknown suicide, they would have taken her fingerprints, which would be on file as a police officer. Why didn't anyone recognize her?

I know that you have to suspend logic when dealing with stories like this, but I find it hard to believe that Sarah could have stepped into Beth's life so easily. Strangely, I can believe that The Doctor is a centuries old Time Lord who travels through time and space, and that vampire Hal, werewolf Tom, and ghost Alex, live in an old Bed and Breakfast in Wales, but I have a hard time believing the premise of Orphan Black. Maybe I'll be able to get into the show after watching another couple of episodes.

patriotickid

patriotickid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:37 AM

I know that you have to suspend logic when dealing with stories like this, but I find it hard to believe that Sarah could have stepped into Beth's life so easily

I was bothered by that, too, but I was interested in the fact they showed how hard it would be to ditch your own life. That's something shows like this rarely deal with off the bat. It's usually (like the Riches) a show mostly about fitting into and assuming the new identity.

MsLark

MsLark

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:09 AM

I enjoyed the pilot until the scene where Sarah put $75,000 into the trunk of her car for her partner to find.

Seriously! Especially someone who is supposed to be that street smart. Also had a problem with the barf scene: whoever cleaned it up or was even near it had to notice it was 90% restroom soap. That stuff usually has a fairly distinct smell. Another nitpick: the fiance didn't notice slacker, druggie, only-gets-exercise-running-from-the-cops Sarah's body wasn't the same buff musculature as his cop/marathon runner GF's? Maybe he didn't care at that point, but still. Also surprised at the lack of tats or extra piercings, which I thought would be a real give away given her lifestyle. Less to explain, I suppose, but nonetheless odd.

All that aside, I still rather enjoyed it and will give it a chance. Not much else on Saturday nights, anyway.

HalfDutch

HalfDutch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:12 AM

I really liked this and the lead actress, although it sounded like Katya was attempting a Russian accent, not a German one. Sarah pulling off an American accent so well is also a bit questionable but I'm going with it.

I read a review (somewhere) that said this is the show Ringer wanted to be. So far, I am in agreement. This seems to be a lot better. Although that one started off okay and quickly got less and less plausible. It seems like Beth is in an odd place right now so mental lapses and odd behavior might get a free pass. And better-than-usual sex? A-OK, so far with the BF. And damn, everyone is in excellent shape, aren't they?

Definitely tuning in again.

AmoebaLobosa

AmoebaLobosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:43 AM

I was completely thrown out of the episode when Vic first showed up. The actor who plays Vic did the voice/face for Vaas and in Far Cry 3 where he was the perfect psycho. That's going to get hard to get used to.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:46 AM

Welp, I'm sold.

I've never heard of Tatiana Maslany before, but she's doing a damned good job playing multiple individuals. I also like the rest of the cast, particularly Felix. And Sarah's scumbag boyfriend who isn't a complete scumbag, it seems.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:52 AM

The actor who plays Vic did the voice/face for Vaas and in Far Cry 3 where he was the perfect psycho.

Oh, shit, that's who he was! I thought he sounded famailar. I know video games aren't consider top of the art like movies/TV, but he really was amazing in Far Cry 3. Now, I'm going to be waiting for his character to ask "Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?", and start losing his shit.

The only other actor I was famailar with was Maria Doyle Kennedy as Mrs. S, who I remember as Sonya from Dexter and Catherine of Aragon from The Tudors.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:07 AM

I enjoyed it and will probably keep watching. But I found the pacing odd and feel that it might have done better with a half our more since it just barely got to the hook when it ended. I don't think the set up was useless, but there was so much that it felt like there was a long wait and just as you got to the pay off, it ended.

The lead is very good and I liked her performance; nice switch between personalities indicating that Sarah is very good at sliding in and out of cons, chameleon is right. However, I must have missed the part that explained Sarah and Felix's accents. They apparently didn't grow up in Canada, but both ended up there somehow?

As for Paul, I was kinda weirded out by his lack of suspicion. I know Sarah jumped him to end the questioning, but it was a totally bizarre a flip from backing away from him to jumping on the kitchen table. In addition to the likely inconsistency between the fitness of their bodies (runner cop vs. borderline homeless drug user(?)) mentioned above, Sarah has had a child. That changes your body even if you are lucky enough to avoid significant stretch marks.

mrc570

mrc570

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

I don't mean to offend anyone who likes the show, but I was very disappointed. I know they've characterized Sarah as a "street-wise chameleon," presumably so she can handle herself in assuming someone else's identity, but she is so very unlikeable (to me) that I just don't care about her. Not only is she a thief, a manipulator, a slut (because of the boyfriend thing), she's totally selfish. There just was nothing redeeming about her at all. It would have helped if there had been a flashback or some exposition where she actually did something for someone else. In fact, I thought that was the point of the memorial service, to show us why anyone would actually care about her. I think it would have been better (although maybe this was the non-sci-fi hook) if they had skipped this assumption of identity thing and just made Beth the main character.

I watch enough tv to practically have a degree in suspension of disbelief (don’t judge me, please!), but this was just preposterous (especially the cop/fingerprint thing, the relatively unmarked face, the oblivious boyfriend, the money in the trunk, the ingested soap). The best thing about the show, to me was Felix. Now, I’d watch a show about him anytime.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 9:49 AM

I really wanted to like this show, but as several other posters have stated, Sarah is too unlikable. She abandons her daughter for 10 months to be with her abusive, drug dealing boyfriend. Then she returns and demands to see her. And apparently it doesn't matter how you get the money as long as you have the lofty goal of starting a new life with your daughter.

There is a big difference between having a flawed lead character and one who is amoral. I can't relate to her or root for her, so I'm out.

planetoid

planetoid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

They made a point of filming that scene of Sarah cutting her hair to look like Beth, so having the boyfriend question that detail of all things made me scoff. And how did Beth live so well on a police detective's salary?

Maybe the fingerprints will be explained later; I imagine any kind of cursory police check would result in multiple matches on multiple people. I've lived in states that require thumbprints for a driver's license and have been fingerprinted for a couple of different jobs. I don't think it's that unusual for regular citizens to have their prints on file. It's possible-to-likely that Sarah has been arrested before, too.

The best thing about the show, to me was Felix. Now, I’d watch a show about him anytime.

From what we've seen, couldn't he also be characterized as "a thief, a manipulator, a slut?" Heh.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:56 PM

I liked it a lot. Beth's boyfriend is ridiculously hot, I hope he continues to be on the show. I thought it was pretty interesting. It is beyond ridiculous that a hardcore hustler like Sarah would leave all that money in a car trunk. Who does that. It also seemed a bit unnecessary to "kill" herself. Beth must have killed herself for a reason, that should have indicated to Sarah that maybe not everything was perfect. Why no just take the money and let the chips fall where they may? It's not like poor Beth was going to be ided very quickly with her purse stolen. I'm already sick of hearing about Kira. I predict that she will talked about a lot,but rarely seen. You can't have a super sexy/violent show with a seven year old staring everyone down.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

I really wanted to like this show, but as several other posters have stated, Sarah is too unlikable. She abandons her daughter for 10 months to be with her abusive, drug dealing boyfriend. Then she returns and demands to see her. And apparently it doesn't matter how you get the money as long as you have the lofty goal of starting a new life with your daughter.

There is a big difference between having a flawed lead character and one who is amoral. I can't relate to her or root for her, so I'm out.

Agree. I was looking forward to something good on BBCA on Saturdays to replace Ripper Street but this isn't it. Sarah is just too weaselly (and I must be getting old because I really hate eye makeup that makes the wearer look like a raccoon) and unlikeable for me to care. The show started losing me when she stole the dead woman's purse, and nothing she did after that drew me back in. I may check in again later if there's any chance the story's point-of-view gets shifted to one of the other clones but as long as the show focuses on Sarah, forget it.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 2:08 PM

I think I'll give this one a pass for one of the reasons stated: I don't like the lead character.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I thought the lead actress was excellent at displaying different layers to the character(s) and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Yes, the main character is rather reprehensible in many aspects but given the numbers of dramas with main male characters with some reprehensible qualities (i.e. Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc.) I'm more than used to that and glad to see more women in those kinds of part. I thought the pacing was great, the story is intriguing and the supporting characters are already distinguishable one episode in. I loved it.

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

I agree. We already have so many shows where a male protagonist remains rootable for despite being an antiheroic asshole, I like that this show chose to mix up the mold a little by making that protagonist female (see also: Justified, Boardwalk Empire). I might not necessarily be rooting for her to make a clean break with the $75k and disappear, again, but I did like that those were her short term objectives rather than her eagerly jumping into investigating the conspiracy like a crazy person. But let's face it, she's almost definitely not going to be able to keep the payday, and she will continue to be drawn in into this clone conspiracy thing, because that's how shows like these work.

Cynthia187

Cynthia187

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

And that's exactly why I don't watch any of those shows.

AmoebaLobosa

AmoebaLobosa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 4:08 PM

I don't think that people who walk in front of trains end up with their heads intact.

My boss used to own a restaurant near a train station and he said the bodies of people that got run over by a train are surprisingly intact. Just a bunch of deep gashes. Apparently when people jumped in front of the train by his restaurant his place was one of the places the police would go to see if anyone knew them and show him the picture.

I agree that the lead so far doesn't have a lot going to her favor in the likeability department but I'm still willing to give the show a shot. For a pilot I feel like there wasn't a whole lot of exposition in establishing who the character were except on a surface level. It wasn't everything that I thought it would be but I didn't have a whole lot of idea of what it was actually going to be either. I'm still intrigued by the premise so I'll continue watching. I did have an issue with Art handling Sarah a bit rough just so it would seem like she was caught or being arrested. Is that Art and Beth's partnership? I don't care who you are, I would not be okay with just being grabbed by the arm like that. It's a tiny thing but during it bugged me a bit.

Darth Nigel

Darth Nigel

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Vaguely liked this one.., at least enough to give it another look next week.

BUT what bothered me was that the show doesn't seem to have a sense of "place". Are they meant to be in an American city? I think the train announcement mentioned New York. But a lot of the cars had California plates and the money in the bag was not (apparently) American -- may have been Canadian, may have been fake... I know it was filmed in Toronto (we guessed either that or Vancouver). I was also confused by the leads having british/irish regional accents.

I think if the story had been better directed, I would have been less bothered by this, but several times during the show, I found myself pulled out of the story trying to figure out "So are they really in New York?"