4-12: "Peace of Mind" 2013.03.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

134 replies to this topic

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

It's interesting to me that we now have Boyd being the grown up, responsible man while Raylan is racing hard and fast in the opposite direction. Boyd is understanding of Ava's inability to commit cold blooded murder & understands her on every level. To save Ava from a murder charge he tells Colt to kill Ellen May knowing the order could very well be traced back to him. Meanwhile, Raylan can't even answer his email and is bragging about possibly meeting the director.

I love Raylan but this season has brought out all his bad qualities. :-|

I'm not following. So, Boyd who orders the killing of an innocent woman is grown up and responsible? But Raylan who is excited about a possible promotion is bad?

ChipBach

ChipBach

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

nicodelaney - Awesome summary, I enjoyed every word of it.

Ellen May was luminous to me -- radiant.

It was an amazing job of acting by Abby Miller. Turning Ellen May into the person with perhaps the most clarity on the show in a single turn. I re-watched the scene a few times... Really amazing.

soapfaninnc

soapfaninnc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 1:57 PM

I'm not following. So, Boyd who orders the killing of an innocent woman is grown up and responsible? But Raylan who is excited about a possible promotion is bad?

Ellen May is no innocent. She robbed at least one bank, saw Delroy shoot one of the other girls involved and one girl died as a result of that robbery. She didn't run to the police - she ran to Ava and begged for protection. Ava gave her that and wound up shooting Delroy. It wasn't only to protect Ellen May, granted.

I don't mind Raylan being excited about a promotion but I've seen very little change in him since he found out about his child on the way. He didn't go with Winona to the ultrasound and hasn't signed some papers she's been asking him to. He hid his money in a drawer in his room and Grifter Barbie stole it. That's about the only preparation I've seen him make for the baby. For someone bucking for a promotion he's become almost worse about obeying the rules - taking his father's murderer on transport and then worming his way out of a suspension doesn't exactly scream responsible or growing up. He's followed the rules when it suited him for the past three seasons and that hasn't changed.

Boyd is a criminal - yes. But he loves Ava more than himself. I wouldn't be one bit shocked if he confessed to Delory's murder to save her should it come to that. He wants to give her a home and respectability one day. Ava makes him want to be a better person - still a criminal but a better person. Raylan is still refusing to deal with his Arlo issues and until he does that he's going to keep doing things his way - the same way. It cost him Winona once and it will probably end up costing him both her and his daughter this time.

However that doesn't make it Raylan's fault Winona and the baby are in jeopardy cause he did his job - that's all on the Detroit Mob being pure scum.

It's not black and white. Boyd is no means perfect but neither is Raylan. That's why I enjoy the characters on this show so much - they are great shades of gray. I love Boyd and Raylan as mirrors or one another. Despite what Bo did to Boyd he moved on from it. Raylan may let Arlo hang over him to the point it costs him dearly.

nicodelaney I loved your summary.

KalEl

KalEl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

It's interesting to me that we now have Boyd being the grown up, responsible man while Raylan is racing hard and fast in the opposite direction. Boyd is understanding of Ava's inability to commit cold blooded murder & understands her on every level. To save Ava from a murder charge he tells Colt to kill Ellen May knowing the order could very well be traced back to him. Meanwhile, Raylan can't even answer his email and is bragging about possibly meeting the director.

I love Raylan but this season has brought out all his bad qualities. :-|

I'm also going to have to disagree with this assessment. Focusing on career success is considered very adult behavior. Not to mention in his mind like the minds of most career driven men, he rationalizes this by saying the more successful he is, the more he can provide for the family he's neglecting. It sounds better than "I love my work more than I love anything else on earth." Boyd is also career driven. He wanted Drew for the same reasons Raylan did: upward mobility. The only reason Ava's not neglected is because Ava is also a criminal working with him. Winona is not a marshal. If Ava were pregnant and Boyd felt a big drug deal was the only way to provide for her, he'd work 24/7 on that drug deal and ignore her too using the same rationalization.

Not mention comparing someone not answering email to someone understanding an inability to commit murder is the ultimate in false equivalency.

Edited by KalEl, Mar 29, 2013 @ 2:13 PM.

Artsda

Artsda

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

I don't think Ava would be neglected. Boyd treats Ava as a partner, he lets her in on what's going on with him. Winona would have to beg Raylan to have him even tell her the slightest part of what went on during his day. Raylan and Boyd were both hiding away money this season, the parallel showed Boyd being smarter to keep it in a locked box and Raylan in a drawer over a bar where a con artist stranger bartender girl knew where it was. Raylan lost all his money (unless he has the chickens somewhere) and told Winona still that he's saving up.

Boyd and Ava are looking at nice big houses out of town together and wanting to buy. Raylan's living over a bar alone still. Boyd has been shown more responsible relationship/family man wise this season compared to Raylan. Raylan can't show up at appointments on time or if at all, Raylan loses money, Raylan sleeping around, doesn't return Winona's emails, doesn't fill out the paper work she asks of him.

I honestly don't think Boyd would ever treat Ava that way. He'd be there or he'd have someone be there with her if he couldn't be.

SuzyBoo

SuzyBoo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 7:27 PM

Thanks Artsda and Soapfannic.

Boyd is protecting his woman and planning ahead for his & Ava's future. He is still a criminal but he is being a responsible, mature adult. Raylan is not....if anything he's acting like a teenager, as if he never matured after leaving Harlan at nineteen.

I like the idea of Winona going into WitSec as a means of getting her out of Raylans life without killing her. I like the character as she seems to be one of the few women who understands Raylan. Totally agree with her not wanting to raise a baby with him the way he is acting now. She may have had some crazy, desperate moments but she has moved on while Raylan is still the same.

I hope Ava makes it through the season too...maybe she will go to prison but I have always had a hard time believing that Ellen May is a real threat to her. Even if she does tell them about the murder she is an accessory and a damn unreliable wittness against Ava. It would come down to her word against Ava's and would a prosecutor want to take a chance of pitting smart Ava against none too bright Ellen May?

Hopefully Drewby will take Ellen May with him into WitSec and we will never hear from either one again.

Dallas Fan

Dallas Fan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 1:58 PM

I actually like it very much that good and bad qualities aren't so strictly separated. There is no question that Boyd is mostly bad guy while Raylan is mostly good guy, but Boyd still has some positive qualities that Raylan lacks. It's very realistic. Different people, different skillset, and their morality has little to do with it.

Winona absolutely nailed it when she noticed that when Raylan really wanted to be somewhere - was it regular pocker game? - he figured a way to make it there. But he never seems to find time for her or baby, and it's obvious that it isn't a priority - he simply forgets about dates, appointments, things he needs to do, he's not 100% in it the way he is 100% in his job, or rather his quests. I've been quoting this song a lot but "love is a verb, love is a doing word", or rather, res, non verba. His actions don't show commitment to any kind of life with Winona. He's not leaving his comfort zone for her. I think he's simply not made to be a family man.

I don't think Boyd can take the blame, that's why he's so desperate. The problem is that there is a witness to murder, Ellen May isn't going to say it was Boyd who did that.

sacreseries

sacreseries

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

So here's Tim and Colton. I'm not sure which reviewer (or perhaps someone here?) called it "suicide by Tim", but it was nice to see that tiny bit of peace in Colton's eyes before he died -- one last smoke for the condemned man and Tim gets his revenge but of course the joke's on him -- he's left behind to deal with yet another kill, and this time of someone who reminded him a little too much of himself. Which one got his "peace of mind"? Tim or Colton?

I would say Colton.

My favourite scene of the episode was the last with Tim. I'm probably putting to much on this, but I really liked Jacob Pitt's demeanor when he goes to Cassie... he seemt a little off. I think killing Colton has made some damage to my favourite sniper.

Edited by sacreseries, Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:02 PM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:12 PM

Having the Marshals ignore crimes in progress- or evidence of such- in order to manipulate the plot has been a bit over the top this season.

Yeah, that's been a big problem this season, with Raylan and Tim leaving the charge.

You have to suspend a lot of disbelief with this show but the Marshalls giving Raylan any consideration for a promotion might be the most unrealistic thing possible. At worst, his record would have gotten him fired and probably prosecuted. At best, it would prevent him from any kind of a promotion. Considering some of the things he's done in the past (blowing the case about Boyd by sleeping with Ava, which only happened about six months ago on this show) I would go as far to say Raylan simply doesn't deserve a promotion.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

If there is still a question of how the info of Shelby's deal change got leaked, I just rewatched that part- there were 2 unknown guys in the room who Vasquez dismissed when Raylan and Art came in, and it was clear Shelby had asked Vasquez to protect Ellen May in their presence. I kept thinking Vasquez was the only option and it was kind of a bummer because I like him, but maybe it was one of those 2.

mrk63

mrk63

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

The crooked FBI guy (the one who got shot in Duffy's RV) might have planted a bug as well. Is the Marshal's office regularly swept for that sort of thing?

soapfaninnc

soapfaninnc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 3:39 PM

Exactly, it's two flawed people in that relationship, not just one. Raylan is not acting like a teenager and Winona is not acting like an abusive spouse (she's not a spouse first of all).

Yep. I'd say he's closer to paralyzed - he wants to do the right thing but he's scared and so he keeps doing what he's been doing all along.

On a different note, I read an article about this episode that classified Drew Thompson/Shelby's relationship with Ellen May as a romance? Not seeing it. I always thought he acted rather paternal when it came to her. I thought him being a person who wanted absolutely nothing from her was part of the reason she found her 'Peace of Mind'. Any thoughts?

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 9:56 PM

I moved a lot of posts from this thread to the Raylan thread. PLEASE make sure your posts here are about the episode, not about a particular character's arc.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:41 AM

Boyd is protecting his woman and planning ahead for his & Ava's future. He is still a criminal but he is being a responsible, mature adult. Raylan is not....if anything he's acting like a teenager, as if he never matured after leaving Harlan at nineteen.

I can't ignore the fact that Boyd's a criminal. And the only reason he's protecting his woman is because they're criminals and have put themselves in a position to need protecting. And as for planning for the future. Well there isn't much of a future when you are running a criminal enterprise.

I actually like it very much that good and bad qualities aren't so strictly separated. There is no question that Boyd is mostly bad guy while Raylan is mostly good guy, but Boyd still has some positive qualities that Raylan lacks. It's very realistic. Different people, different skillset, and their morality has little to do with it.

I completely agree with this. But where I have a problem comparing the two is when words like responsibility and maturity come into play. In that respect, I see things pretty black and white, as in, so long as Boyd is a criminal he can't be more responsible and mature than Raylan because no matter what Boyd does it will always be overshadowed by his criminality and the danger that presents.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:45 AM.

laprin

laprin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:58 AM

Oops - wrong thread.

Edited by laprin, Apr 3, 2013 @ 10:08 AM.