2-17: "Victory" 2013.03.24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

59 replies to this topic

Nocturne

Nocturne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 1:17 PM

Nolan is going to turn out to be Victoria's illegitimate son, just to kill the last remaining hope I have that he would turn out to be David Clarke's illegitimate so

I'm leaning towards this or Jack, considering that David had mentioned it in a letter to Amanda which she never received. Could be Jack in that it would be "the ultimate twist" according to how the writers seem to think, given that there has been little mention of he and Declan's mom and the whole irony of the son of a bar owner struggling to get by with a mother who is married into money. Although Jack could be too young, given the inconsistencies of the writers I wouldn't be surprised. As far as Nolan goes, I can see it going in this direction because he's more age-appropriate methinks, and it would give credence to the fact that David had taken him in and sent him to help Emily carry out her plan once he passed away. And what better person to do it than the abandoned son of your ex-lover who turned on you? That's my theory anyway.

I still think Padma is playing them all - and her father was the guy with the gloves and a major big shot with Initiative (if not the mastermind).

I think so too, but I'd be sad about it because I'd love to see Nolan not hurt and screwed over for once. While Padma kinda left a lot to be desired as far as the character is concerned, I really liked them together.

I'm in the minority and I like Eli. At first I wasn't crazy about him, but loved how he exposed the foster mother for who she really is in front of the Graysons. Unfortunately I think his plotline may be dead now unless they think of something more clever.

Re: The Falcon. I have an insane guess with no real theory behind it but... what if The Falcon was actually Takeda all along?

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

I like Eli. I was pretty drawn in when he was seemingly double-crossing both Emanda and the foster mother--wondering which he would turn on--and thinking likely both. So, I really liked how he ended up on Emanda's side after all. I think he is a better Amily than Amily. At first I think Amily would have done anything to support Emanda even to her own detriment, but then once she got Jack, I think she swung the opposite direction and she only thought of herself. Eli as Amily 2.0 is a good mix of being supportive of Emanda--just as long as it fits within his own agenda. And I like how he pulled his own revengenda by having those other foster kids show up in Emanda style--but without telling Emanda he was going to do it. It seemed like that was a goodbye scene at the end and that perhaps Eli won't be back. However, he's one new character that I would like to see stick around the Hamptons! I think he stirs up the storyline in a way that makes sense within the central plot of the show (unlike the Initiative, Padma, the Ryans, etc.). Not only that, but he's nice to look at! :-)

Well, when you compare him to those uninteresting storylines...then yes it is. :P.

The problem with his character is that it really doesn't add to anything, the flashbacks are pretty much the same with Amanda as a troubled child because of her father's situation and she bonds with another character. It's too similar to Fauxmanda right down to both of them wanting to stay, which causes complications to Emily's plans even though she tried to pay both of them to go away. Getting revenge on the foster mom was pretty good, even though it's pretty much already been done by Emily and her psychiatrist last season.

twoods

twoods

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

I'm guessing the Falcon is the secret son, but Victoria Jason idea. Who knows.
Like Eli but they could have done a lot more with his character. I don't know why Emily didn't trust him and told him the whole plan.

dirtydi

dirtydi

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 3:33 PM

I gotta admit, seeing Eli deliberately expose their foster mother and then lock her in the coal bin is what made me finally like him. Is that wrong?

Me too. He reminded me of old Amanda/Emily. At least he is getting things done and I don't know... Taking Revenge. Good to see Jack starting to take revenge too. It seems everyone, but Amanda, is taking steps to get revenge, while she is the spectator or trying to convince people not to take revenge (Jack, Eli). She is so not bad-ass anymore.

Edited by dirtydi, Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:21 PM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 5:09 PM

Me too. He reminded me of old Amanda/Emily. At least he is getting things done and I don't know... Taking Revenge. Good to see Jack starting too take revenge too. It seems everyone, but Amanda, is taking steps to get revenge, while she is the spectator or trying to convince people not to take revenge (Jack, Eli). She is so not bad-ass anymore.

It's a shame since the whole premise of the show is supposed to revolve around her revenge, instead she's dicking around with the Initiative and attending the Graysons' events instead of actual revenge.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 5:18 PM

I agree about the rebuilt foster house not making sense. How did Emanda know to look behind the bookshelf to find the same kiddie jail cell?

Not only that but the bookshelf appeared to be on rollers. Note to future bad guys: when you are trying to hide your secret torture chamber, do not put things on rollers in front of it.

SomeMeddlingKid

SomeMeddlingKid

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

Jack would be too young as he's only a year or two older than Emanda.

Has the show ever officially stated Victoria's age? She could be mid-to-late forties (let's say 46). 46-30 (Jack's age/Amanda's age +2) = 16. Madeline Stow is only 54 in real life so it's a stretch I could definitely make.

I want Jack to be Victoria's son so badly. It would give the character dynamics a much needed reset and the idea of Jack, Daniel and Charlotte all being half-siblings makes me giddy with character possibilities. The jealousy this will drive between Jack and Declan, the rivalry and kinship this will ignite between Jack and Daniel, the dilemna of choosing between half-siblings this will cause Emily. Not to mention Victoria feeling guilt over what she did to Amanda, her daughter-in-law. It's all very soapy but so very satisfying.

I just hope the son isn't Nolan. Either make him related to Emily or don't make him related to anyone.

Edited by SomeMeddlingKid, Mar 25, 2013 @ 6:46 PM.

Bringonthedrama

Bringonthedrama

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

I'm unmoved by Padma and her father being kidnapped. Aside from her being a bland character (even if she really does love Nolan), I don't get the sense that Nolan was really that invested in her. He looked upset (during their conversation) and guilty (after the van disappeared) at the idea of never seeing her again but not devastated. Maybe it's the way GM is playing it, as he is a Nemily shipper. Honestly he's looked more upset after a nasty fight w/Emily than he does thinking Padma might be dead.

Aiden is useless. He can go anytime now.

I think this mysterious "Secret Son" of Victoria's will be a new character, to replace the empty space left by 'the late Amanda Clarke'. I get the sense the Falcon must be older than Nolan. Maybe the Falcon will turn out to be the father of Victoria's mystery eldest child. She's the type to say, "You'll do what I want or I'll ruin your life by letting the world know you got me pregnant when I was a teenager." That would work if the guy was a society big shot. And it doesn't surprise me that the writers would think to introduce an older sibling as a rival in Daniel and Charlotte's lives ... not to mention another secret for Victoria and Conrad to argue about. I kind of wonder if the writers would have Aiden turn out to be the mystery son (who was adopted as a baby/toddler and has no idea) because he and Daniel are already sorta adversaries and he's set to be the 'patsy' - but that seems too lame and predictable. We do know that Aiden's at least a few years older than Daniel because he referred to him as "the boy" in that one conversation w/Nolan.

And this is the first episode ever where I've found both Porter brothers interesting. Maybe they're not dead weight on the show after all.

Haleth

Haleth

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

So, wait, what? I mean, that's it for Eli? And the point of his storyline was... what exactly?

I still think Padma is playing them all - and her father was the guy with the gloves and a major big shot with Initiative (if not the mastermind).

Or dad is the Falcon. At least it would make that storyline more interesting.

Amanda was in New Haven Connecticut for lunch with Daniel and not in the NYC and it was impossible for her to get from point A to point B in "36 Minutes"

She sure got to the Stowaway quickly from New Haven!

So Conrad's gubernatorial campaign is being run by an event planner? And nobody else? No party staffers? No political advisors? Right.

RIP little beheaded turtle.

erichalias

erichalias

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:38 AM

I can't stand Jack's fake smile. He looks so creepy. But I agree with several posts above. The Porters are finally getting interesting now that they're part of the main story. I was hoping Jack would confront Nolan about how he told Declan that Jack and Amanda had checked into the hotel during their honeymoon.

While I generally like Padma, the problem I have is that she was written in different phases, and she was always one-note in each phase. She started off as an overbearing employee who forced herself into Nolan's life. Then they reduced her to mysteriously staring blankly into the air while we guessed if she was good or bad. Then reduced further to one scene per episode where all she does is worry about her father. Now she and Nolan are so in love, they can't imagine life without each other? When did that have the time to develop?

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

What was the point of the entire Eli plot? Just to give us someone who revenge would be taken on? It's like the show is trying to remember what they're supposed to be about, but they keep failing. I hope Padma is gone for good (but I doubt it), & the secret son stuff is just stupid. If it turns out to be Aiden, I'm going to have to punch someone.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 3:38 AM

I've decided to stop watching the show for now and just read your posts. Thanks everybody! Though I would love to see the flashback scenes of Little Orphan Mandy, I'll wait until the show starts moving toward some actual revenge.

Please, show, move toward making the Graysons pay. Do something, ANYTHING, but stop treading water. If they want it to go for a third season they really need a major shake up.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 7:23 AM

the secret son stuff is just stupid. If it turns out to be Aiden, I'm going to have to punch someone.

I don't think that ABC is brave enough to do an incest storyline. This isn't Passions, people! Although I wouldn't say no to a magical doll like Timmy to spice things up.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

the secret son stuff is just stupid. If it turns out to be Aiden, I'm going to have to punch someone.

I don't think that ABC is brave enough to do an incest storyline.

Emanda is the bio daughter of David and Kara. If Aiden is Vic's bio son, surely David is not his bio dad; therefore no incest. Not unless Kelley does the mother of all retcons and makes it that David and Vic knew each other when they were much younger.

Edited by Bella, Mar 26, 2013 @ 7:48 AM.

grannygeek

grannygeek

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

What if Mason is partially lying or filling in his own blanks, and the 16 yr old who gave away her child is not QV but Amanda's mother Kara, and Nolan is her half-brother that way? Thing that drove her nuts, reason for DC getting closer to Nolan, investing in his enterprise, involving him in Amanda's life.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

(Tried to quote Haleth's above post about Padma's father being the Falcon, but not working...)

Ah! I like this theory best so far! That would make sense why Padma's father is important to the Initiative (if there's some other reason, i dont recall) and why he suddenly started programming again (because the Initiative has him at gunpoint). It would also bring some much-needed relevance to the Padma romance (Padma stuck between supporting her father and his programming nemesis, Nolan, but of course they'll eventually team up to bring down the Initiative).

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:14 PM

So, wait, what? I mean, that's it for Eli? And the point of his storyline was... what exactly?

What was the point of the entire Eli plot? Just to give us someone who revenge would be taken on? It's like the show is trying to remember what they're supposed to be about, but they keep failing. I hope Padma is gone for good (but I doubt it), & the secret son stuff is just stupid. If it turns out to be Aiden, I'm going to have to punch someone.

It felt like a rehash of Fauxmanda's character right down to the trouble past, had a close bond with Emily, causes complications and doesn't want to go away even if Emily gave them money. Emily didn't seem to care much about the secret son, she looked really bored. As for Padma, I just don't care.

SomeMeddlingKid

SomeMeddlingKid

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

I'm really worried that the show is going to try and make Nolan Victoria's son. They've said the finale will be "Nolan centered" and if Victoria is Madeline's age then the timeline adds up.

On top of the fact that he looks literally nothing like her (different eye color, different hair color, different nose) Nolan has had no real interaction with Victoria all series- probably for a reason. Nolan isn't fun or interesting with the Graysons. He just doesn't vibe with them- they're all strong characters but they wouldn't play off each other well. Nolan's aunt Carol already has a pretty good resemblance to him so Nolan being related to Victoria instead would be ridiculous.

I get that Nolan is a fan-favorite but if the show starts trying to write itself around him I'm out.

Make the son Jack, make the son Aiden, make the son a newbie I don't care- just not Nolan.

Edited by SomeMeddlingKid, Mar 27, 2013 @ 6:18 PM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

All this talk about who Victoria's long-lost son might be is giving me a headache. Talk about Soap Opera Cliche 101. I know this show has essentially always been a soap opera, but dragging out the long-lost son never mentioned before only two seasons in? Really seems like the writers are grasping at straws here. We've already had the "Charlotte's not really Conrad's daughter" cliche thrown at us.

I hope like hell it's not Nolan. They have already seriously damaged the Emily/Nolan relationship, which was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the first season, by bringing in Aiden to be Emily's new cohort and sidelining Nolan with this dreadful Padma creature and putting him under Daniel's unsubstantial thumb. But if they make Nolan Victoria's son he'll be further severed from Emily's schemes by a newfound devotion to his mother or at least an instinctive protection of her. Emily's not going to want to confide in Nolan if she senses his loyalties wavering in favor of Victoria.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

I know Nolan talked about his dad after he died but had he ever mentioned his mother or being adopted or anything that would make us think he's Victoria's? I can't decide what I'll dislike more: if the long lost son is a character we already know or another useless new character.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

Here's hoping it turns out to be Sammy.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

I know Nolan talked about his dad after he died but had he ever mentioned his mother or being adopted or anything that would make us think he's Victoria's? I can't decide what I'll dislike more: if the long lost son is a character we already know or another useless new character.

The whole thing is just stupid, it doesn't really add anything, like Charlotte's reveal and all her character has been doing since is floundering around with Declan.

KissedByARose

KissedByARose

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 11:16 PM

I can't get into these episodes for this reason alone :

Nolan said this program could do damage to millions of people and he decides to trade it to an evil company for his new girlfriend and her father?

I'm sure I posted something about this before but the fact that he actually went through with it (and had a horrible half-assed plan to boot) only made me want to throw my laptop.

sophygurl

sophygurl

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 11:40 PM

It sounded like the woman who had the son that Emanda's dad knew also worried over foster system issues, so that goes to reason that whoever the long lost son is - he probably spent at least a little bit of time in foster homes before being adopted. That *seems* to rule a lot of possibilities mentioned such as Jack, Nolan, Aiden, etc. because it seems they've always been with their families of origin. Or at least - none of them ever swapped any kinda "been there, done that" stories with Emanda and Amily.

Possibly I'm misunderstanding/misremembering what Mason said, though.

SomeMeddlingKid

SomeMeddlingKid

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:55 AM

He probably spent at least a little bit of time in foster homes before being adopted.

He could have been in the foster home for any amount of time up until 3-4 and not have any revealing memories about being adopted. Or he could have memories of it but have been compelled by his parents to keep it secret.

But unfortunately I think it's been made clear that Victoria would have given birth in 1973 and the son would be no less than 40 years old. Jack and Aiden are completely ruled out- and Nolan is sadly still in the running. This show really knows how to have an awesome opportunity and then screw it up. Sigh, I expected too much.

Edited by SomeMeddlingKid, Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:58 AM.

Glade

Glade

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 5:03 PM

I finally sat down and watched this episode, but was sorely disappointed. Both the 'press conference' and the hostage handover were so poorly staged as to be completely unbelievable. If Nolan and Aiden could hear what was going on, why didn't they give Padma an earpiece so they could say "don't go near the car and let them push you into trunk!" And they also could have just hidden behind a garbage can or something in the alley. It's all so hackneyed and stupidly sentimental.

And Emanda's original plan did not involve one day publishing a tell-all book about how she fucked over all of these people. I can only imagine she is just playing games with Mason Treadwell, because the idea of ending her revenge plot like that is so laughably stupid. If she and Nolan had hacked Victoria and Conrad's money away and left them penniless, was she really going to write that in a book? And I hate the soap cliche sentimentalism with which Nolan and Padma said goodbye to each other. In S1 Nolan had this great, snarky fun, sexy chemistry with people like Ashley and Tyler. I don't see that with Padma, but apparently they want to spend the rest of their lives together.

I hate Aiden's ugly as hell bachelor pad, I miss Nolan's house, and the entire continuity and tone of the first season. I can't even recognize most of this crap anymore.

Edited by Glade, Mar 30, 2013 @ 5:04 PM.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

I'm really worried that the show is going to try and make Nolan Victoria's son. They've said the finale will be "Nolan centered" and if Victoria is Madeline's age then the timeline adds up.

My thought was that the Falcon is Victoria's son. I got the sense the dude is somewhat nefarious, which could be accounted to his bad childhood experiences. If he is the Falcon he could be a new badass rival for Nolan and as an extension, specially once he inevitably becomes chummy with his birth mom, a huge roadblock for Emily. And maybe he's gay. A lot could account for the final being Nolan centred without having him be Vic's son. The biggest issue is that Nolan's loyalty wont be compromised, so it's not an interesting twist.

Same goes for Jack or Aiden. I will seriously cry if either of them are Vic's kids. Can she have one child that isn't a complete bag of suck? I would imagine genetics and hardship would make the boy awesome. Or I hope at least. Come on show.

I think the problem with this show has been that Amanda's revenge plot is very one sided and the writers have to constantly find ways to stall her. They'll have to write in an agent that counterbalances the collective badass powers of her and Nolan (and Aiden) which is difficult. The Greysons are hardly a match as they don't know what they're up against really and haven't put up much of a resistance. It's always been the likes of Tyler that got in Amanda's way. I think that has to change, evident by the mess this season has been.

Edited by MysticalTime, Mar 31, 2013 @ 8:17 AM.

SomeMeddlingKid

SomeMeddlingKid

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

I think the problem with this show has been that Amanda's revenge plot is very one sided and the writers have to constantly find ways to stall her.

You're 100% right. Emily needs a regular stream of takedowns like in Season 1- at least towards the beginning of the season. Emily hasn't anywhere near exhausted the list of people responsible for framing David- what about that Grayson Global retreat photo of all the employees who testified? These people could have moved on to better jobs, become famous actors, chefs, professors, fashion designers etc that Emily could be taking down, instead of focusing on the Graysons.

I could understand the writers moving on once they've overdone the takedown-of-the-week formula- but they never even really used it.

Edited by SomeMeddlingKid, Mar 31, 2013 @ 10:34 AM.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

Nolan isn't that much younger than Victoria. He's about half way between her and Emanda in age. So she would have had to be around 12 when she had him.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

I could understand the writers moving on once they've overdone the takedown-of-the-week formula- but they never even really used it.

They really should've kept it going longer than it did.