3-15: "This Sorrowful Life" 2013.03.24

• Please log in to reply

238 replies to this topic

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 8:33 AM

Pretty sure it's Gimple. Posted info in the production thread.

RagingTomato

RagingTomato

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 9:18 AM

Loved this episode, I can't wait to watch it again Friday night.

I love the way Rick was portrayed in this episode; really all season. He's made bad choices, good choices and some in between. It makes him, to me anyway, very realistic and not a one dimensional character. You can tell he is a good man with a good heart just trying to do right by his people.

Poor Daryl having to put Merle down. Norman Reedus owned that scene.

I am as far from a bible person as you can get, but I thoroughly enjoyed the voice over of Hershel reading the scriptures while Rick was agonizing over what to do about Michonne. I was even okay with Lori's (thankfully) very brief appearance helping center Rick.

Maggie and Glenn's engagement was just meh. I fear it signals the death of one of them.

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

That Dixon didn't miss when he aimed his gun.

So that would be the night that the lights went out in Georgia?

Ronin Jackson

Ronin Jackson

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

Huh? I thought Scott Gimple was the new showrunner. Did they change again?

Pretty sure it's Gimple. Posted info in the production thread.

You guys are right. It's a mystery how I came up with Shiban... but Scott Gimple is in fact the writer of the two episodes I mentioned, so the optimism in that regard remains true, though the Breaking Bad pedigree does not.

ChipBach

ChipBach

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 11:38 AM

Antosbm, I too thought it was weird to hear an alarm in an old car like that. I think their passing on product placement had to do with wanting a vehicle fitting for Merle's character.

I thought it was weirder that the battery would still work after sitting for over a year...

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

I thought it was weirder that the battery would still work after sitting for over a year...

Someone noted earlier in the thread that the car could have been left there the night before. It would be like someone stumbling across Daryl's motorcycle or the SUV Michonne drove in Clear, while they were out doing things.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:00 PM

Seems you might have knowledge of what locations still have a few good cars left, stuff on the shelves in some store, or things like this especially if you spent a lot of time in the same area foraging.

macbeth

macbeth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 9:28 PM

The way they go through showrunners - you have a better chance surviving a zombie apocalypse than being a showrunner for an entire season on this show.

shadowguy

shadowguy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 9:33 PM

The way they go through showrunners - you have a better chance surviving a zombie apocalypse than being a showrunner for an entire season on this show.

AMC must be really awful to work with. I don't believe for a second that both showrunners left of their own free will!

Ronin Jackson

Ronin Jackson

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 8:05 AM

AMC must be really awful to work with. I don't believe for a second that both showrunners left of their own free will!

Well, their two best shows have had the same showrunner throughout (Referring to Mad Men and Breaking Bad). While they've both had their spats with AMC, they've largely had autonomy, and it shows. I'd have a real issue with AMC constantly replacing the showrunner for TWD if the show had been better, but it really hasn't been a stellar show at any point in it's existence. I guess I'm hoping AMC is trying to get the show up to snuff with the network standard bearers, though that's more of a hope than an educated guess.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 11:22 AM

Deleted, response doesn't belong in this thread

Edited by morrigan2575, Mar 29, 2013 @ 2:04 PM.

frogger

frogger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 9:10 PM

[quote]Thanks Starchild. How did all that happen before noon? Oh, and how do they tell time? Oh, nevermind. /quote]

That "We need to get her there by noon" line took me right out of the episode as well. Now I'll be looking to see if any of the characters are still wearing wristwatches.....

Ouisch

Ouisch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 12:30 AM

That "We need to get her there by noon" line took me right out of the episode as well. Now I'll be looking to see if any of the characters are still wearing wristwatches.....

I've noticed that Rick still wears a watch.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:44 AM

Thanks Starchild. How did all that happen before noon? Oh, and how do they tell time? Oh, nevermind.

Glenn still has Hershel's pocket watch (we saw It this episode). Not sure if someone held onto Dale's watch. There's also the fact that you can tell noon pretty easily from the position of the sun overhead.

N8va

N8va

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

There's also the fact that you can tell noon pretty easily from the position of the sun overhead.

I agree. If they don't have watches, noon along with sunrise and sunset is one of the easier time frames to work out. Now if they had said 1:15 or quarter to ten or even mid-morning, I might have been scratching my head.

Also, all the best showdowns happen at high noon!

Edited by N8va, Mar 30, 2013 @ 7:31 AM.

frogger

frogger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 8:50 AM

The reference to noon didn't so much make me wonder "how do they tell if it's noon?" but instead opened up (in my mind, at least) a whole slew of questions about how the group is managing any kind of references to time....This probably belongs in the Timeline thread, but are they keeping track of days and/or months? Is there any reason even to attempt to do that anymore?

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

There would be reasons. For example, the Governor saying "You have 2 days to give me Michonne or we come get you." It would also apply if they were out scavenging and came across a herd heading in their direction. It might be important to know "They'll be here in six hours".

Regular Joe

Regular Joe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

...are they keeping track of days and/or months? Is there any reason even to attempt to do that anymore?

Sure there is! How else could all these tough guys keep track of important statistics such as kills per day! You just know there's a competition going on.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

People kept track of days and weeks and months and years long before modern cvilization and the reasons for keeping track of time in the past are still reasons to keep track of it now. That part doesn't bother me at all.

Zahdii

Zahdii

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

Lori was a good example of why people should still keep track of time in the ZA. If she'd been tracking her cycles she might have been able to avoid getting pregnant. However, once she was actually pregnant she should have been able to figure out when it happened and had a better idea of who the father was. And of course, she would have had a better idea of when to expect the baby. You know, that kind of stuff would have been useful if she and her group were the type of people to reason stuff out and plan ahead, etc.

frogger

frogger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Lori and her cycle were the first thing that occurred to me as well. I'm sure they were keeping track of time (day of the week/month) back in the first camp, when Carl and Sophia were getting "camp-schooled." But how consistent have they been with that after the farm--? It's fairly easy to have a common sense of "noon," but do the people at Woodbury and the people at the prison have a common sense of "Wednesday" at this point?

frogger

frogger

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

Sorry--double post.

Edited by frogger, Mar 30, 2013 @ 8:01 PM.

seawolff

seawolff

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:12 PM

Lori and her cycle were the first thing that occurred to me as well. I'm sure they were keeping track of time (day of the week/month) back in the first camp, when Carl and Sophia were getting "camp-schooled." But how consistent have they been with that after the farm--? It's fairly easy to have a common sense of "noon," but do the people at Woodbury and the people at the prison have a common sense of "Wednesday" at this point?

The meeting at noon in two days is exactly the kind of time talk I imagine they would have in their situation...two days gives each time to travel home, tend to survival and come back.

Noon meaning: start getting on the road in the morning so you can meet up around midday (barring a surprise run in with a walker herd, or straggling survivors en route) get business done and get home before dark.

Milton is the only person who had the opportunity to actually record from the beginning and keep track of the exact day of the week.

It's so easy for us to lose track of day of the week when schedules change that I would think that dislocated groups running for their lives would assign an arbitrary weekday pattern once they got settled anywhere; that is, if they wanted a reference point. When Carl reaches 16 this will be the argument:

"it's Monday!"
"No it isn't"
"Why do we call it Monday anyways! Why can't we call it 'Merleday!?'"

(You pick which generation cares)

Autumnslumbers

Autumnslumbers

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

Lori was a good example of why people should still keep track of time in the ZA. If she'd been tracking her cycles she might have been able to avoid getting pregnant.

Considering the high stress environment and potential patches of inadequate food they were getting, I suspect her cycle was not regular. I would not be surprised if the women in the group had stopped having their periods, doesn't mean they shouldn't use protection though, which is all I think about when Glen/Maggie have a sex scene.

Edited by Autumnslumbers, Mar 31, 2013 @ 4:47 PM.

magikvmc

magikvmc

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

Quick question, I just saw the tail end of this episode again on the repeat before tonight's new episode and was it just me or was the dead body that Merle was munching on Ben?

Edited by magikvmc, Mar 31, 2013 @ 8:41 PM.

dannymoon

dannymoon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

Yes, it was definitely Ben. Merle shot him too.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

Bentley  I would have preferred that Rick had just told his inner circle what the Governor had proposed, have Merle overhear him and take matters into his own hands, er, hand. It just frustrates me they would have Rick even consider it, because he's smarter than that, and not naive enough to believe it would work.

Hated the fact that Rick was actually contemplating handing Micchone over - not because it's immoral (though it is) but because it's idiotic. If you've already decided that the Governor is not to be trusted (which seemed to be the outcome of last week's episode) then why would you agree to hand her over? Unless you just decided that you can't stand Micchone, I suppose , though even then it seems a bit extreme to hand her over to a guy who intends to torture her. As Bentley suggested, it would make sense if Merle thought it was a good idea and then we have Rick trying to undo Merle's actions (it would hardly even need any alteration to the script except to show Merle overhearing part of Rick's conversation).

I'm also having real trouble with how the Governor has managed to "hide the crazy" from his followers so far. If this is the best he can do, you'd have thought he'd only have a handful of disciples, as most people would just avoid him (or die, obviously).

Didn't mind too much the way Glenn got Maggie her engagement ring (Ahh, he's an old softie really) but I agree with whomever it was who said "At least finish off the walker while you're there!"

Edited by John Potts, Oct 5, 2013 @ 5:46 PM.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

I'm also having real trouble with how the Governor has managed to "hide the crazy" from his followers so far. If this is the best he can do, you'd have thought he'd only have a handful of disciples, as most people would just avoid him (or die, obviously).

I'm not that surprised by it. So many people in real life lead double lives and their loved ones claim to never have had a clue. Sometimes the fakers really are that good at hiding things, and sometimes the believers want to believe so bad they deny what is quite obvious. I think the residents of Woodbury were so desperate to live a life of normalcy and safety that IF something did raise a red flag, they looked the other way.

Also, I think the Gov was doing a pretty good job holding himself together until Penny was killed.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2013 @ 12:58 AM

Jim Jones managed to keep his followers, but by the end, it was more by brute force than any kind of brainwashing.  If you tried to escape, you'd be physically restrained and beaten by his goons.  I also thought it was seriously OTT to shoot everyone, including the people who agreed with him.  Previously, he would have just shot the "ringleader" of whoever was disagreeing and order the rest to do what he said.

He was obviously a control-freak who would flip his shit if people didn't obey his orders, but he ended up just being a homicidal maniac with no sanity at all.  I seriously hope he is permanently gone, because I don't see what you could do with that character after that silly plot.