11-4: "Seventeen Chefs Compete" 2013.03.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

23 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

From Zap2it:

Olympic athletes Maurice Greene, Natalie Coughlin and Danell Leyva help Ramsay lead a 3K race, with the red and blue teams racing to prepare lunch for the runners; communication issues lead to fights during the dinner service.

This thread will open at 9:00pm EDT on March 26th.

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:17 PM

What misleading previews from last week, making us think poor Mary was running away. Bless her heart, she finished the race, at least.

It was time for Danielle to leave, but the other girl (Jacqueline?) needs to be right out the door behind her serving raw chicken. Dan won't last long if he can't cook either. Pretty lackluster service, even if both teams did finish. Seems like they are far beyond last season's crop, I barely remember them ever finishing service this early in the show.

My Hurt Foot seems to be moving OK this week, I guess he's all healed up.

Modernwhimsy

Modernwhimsy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:29 PM

I thought Ramsey saboed the red team by picking the heavy girl from the red team and the thin dude from the blue team. The fact that the blue team managed to lose despite a large lead speaks volumes.

Those girls rolling out for the reward challenge? Holy Boobage.

SquirrelHawk is still annoying. Not just his hair but his fake CanDoRahRah attitude that grates. I'm glad NeverWorkedOnnaBrigade is gone. How many times did she repeat that in 3 episodes? Cue eye roll.

PinkChicken looked like she was trying to skate by and looking down and around while Risotto4five took the heat on the chopping block.... and there was no way that Ramsey wasn't going to call her out. Too bad she couldn't switch with the now departed NeverWorkedOnnaBrigade because she could have used those cooking times to cook the chicken through instead of hammering 3 wellies.

Zach. Hmmm what a liar. Whatever cred he built up on the first challenge of barfNgo has been erased in a single move with not coming clean on the salmon. Has he seen the show before? Ramsey sees all. Once he's trapped you, just come clean.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

I thought Ramsey saboed the red team by picking the heavy girl from the red team and the thin dude from the blue team. The fact that the blue team managed to lose despite a large lead speaks volumes.

Right? Could his choices have been any more lopsided? He didn't need to pick Jeremy or anything, but at least make it fair. The blue team must have really sucked to have been only 4 entrees ahead and then lose in the end too.

My Hurt Foot has some funny soundbites. And seems to be one of the few who could actually run a kitchen. I'm seeing him, blond culinary student, and the skinny girl (Ja'nel?) going far.

I think the girls got kinda screwed this week. I thought they did better than the guys, but going by "who showed the most improvement" I guess the guys won. But really, Ramsey was just trying to balance the teams a bit. It's not like I thought the completely clueless wonder should stick around though.

tazz765

tazz765

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 9:40 PM

Zach. Hmmm what a liar. Whatever cred he built up on the first challenge of barfNgo has been erased in a single move with not coming clean on the salmon. Has he seen the show before? Ramsey sees all. Once he's trapped you, just come clean.

Yeah, that was so stupid. I don't know why anybody tries to pull tricks like that because if Ramsey doesn't see it with his own eyes I'm almost positive he wears a earpiece and someone in the control room will tip him off about it. I remember Seth in Season 5 ruined some filet mignon and hid it in the fridge and even though he didn't see him hide it Ramsey just randomly found it. It was pretty obvious that someone tipped him off about it.

At least admit what you did. Ramsey will still rip you a new a-hole, but it is much better than being labeled as a liar.

Brooklynista

Brooklynista

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

OK, I'm getting really sick of the supremely over enthusiastic jubilation when the winning team finds out what they're reward is for winning a challenge. Sure a day in wine country would be lovely, but I really doubt it warrants these ladies jumping up and down in a circle with their whopper tits threatening to knock them out at any moment. A polite clapping will do.

Edited cause did anybody else see that nasty ass Ray taste the risotto and put the spoon BACK in the damn pan?? How did GR miss that shit?

Edited by Brooklynista, Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:06 PM.

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:47 PM

Edited cause did anybody else see that nasty ass Ray taste the risotto and put the spoon BACK in the damn pan?? How did GR miss that shit?

I didn't catch that, but I did see him stick his finger in it and then lick them.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

I thought Ramsey saboed the red team by picking the heavy girl from the red team and the thin dude from the blue team

Not only the weight thing, but GR picked a woman who did NOT raise her hand to run, and a man who DID. He really was trying to help the blue team out in any way possible tonight before they lost yet a third member.

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 1:28 AM

Not only the weight thing, but GR picked a woman who did NOT raise her hand to run, and a man who DID. He really was trying to help the blue team out in any way possible tonight before they lost yet a third member.

\
Yes, that pissed me off. I was already pissed off that they had something stupid like making chefs run, but when he obviously decided that the red team should lose the challenge, that really just aggravated the hell out of me.

I don't understand what Danielle's problem was, why couldn't she figure out how the kitchen worked? Is it that different than regular kitchens?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:24 AM

He has the worst kitchen hygiene of any chef I've ever seen on television, short of the guys who chug out of a liquor bottle before pouring it into a dish. He's fingered the risotto and now spooned it. Must be a real love connection there.

Danielle must work in a very small restaurant where she and maybe one other person are in charge of getting the food ready. It's not rocket science to figure it out after the first day, but she seemed a little more than slow in that regard.

mertensia

mertensia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 5:00 AM

Michael and other screamy dude need to leave now. Dan?

Raw chicken. Seriously Jacqueline?

Danielle was painful to watch.

CBart369

CBart369

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 5:51 AM

I'm not generally thin-skinned about these things, but, to me, misogyny was over-the-top in this episode.
GR's selection of Mary for the run, who is clearly not Olympic-material (hey, she's a chef, why should she be?) plus the audible airing of the "skank parade" comment from the men's team, made this episode very off-putting.
Sorry, for me, that's just not ok.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

I think he was obviously trying to help the blue team win the challenge, but I've never noticed a correlation between winning a reward and winning at dinner service.

olivia1

olivia1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

Jeremy didn't get called Big Boy. Disappointing. He just got the pep talk we predicted.

I wasn't surprised that Danielle left. I don't think she had ever watched HK. How could she not know how the kitchen worked? I'm not a chef and I know that you need to work as a team, be able to cook risotto, scallops, lamb, wellingtons, and fish fillets. Why was she having such a hard time adjusting?

Right now it looks like Ja'nel is the frontrunner. She hasn't shown herself to be a diva and it looks like she knows her way around the kitchen.

katje

katje

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

OK, I'm getting really sick of the supremely over enthusiastic jubilation when the winning team finds out what they're reward is for winning a challenge. Sure a day in wine country would be lovely, but I really doubt it warrants these ladies jumping up and down in a circle with their whopper tits threatening to knock them out at any moment. A polite clapping will do.

Seriously. Not only that, but I generally find the "reward" footage to be exceedingly dull to watch, and I wish the show would either do away with it altogether, or find a way to recap it very briefly.

I think he was obviously trying to help the blue team win the challenge, but I've never noticed a correlation between winning a reward and winning at dinner service.

Not only that, but at times it seems to work as a curse. Like doing whatever the day's punishment is prepares the challenge-losing team, while being on the reward makes the challenge-winning team complacent.

And can I just say? 3K. Dude, that's not even two miles. It's roughly 1.86. And having "check points" at every km? That's just silly.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

Danielle is a country club "executive chef." She probably does a lot of catering and a lot of steam table sides.

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:59 PM

This is not the first time I've got a misogynistic feel from this show.

davidmf

davidmf

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 8:14 PM

Elimination interview with Danielle

http://cartermatt.co...ave-eliminated/

GaT

GaT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

Thanks for the link davidmf, I thought this sentence was very interesting:

"We’re not getting to see our family, we’re not getting a full night’s sleep, and we’re not getting full meals. All of these things are wearing on us."

They're not getting full meals? They don't feed the chefs while they're on the show?

cooksdelight

cooksdelight

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 5:46 AM

So now she's abandoned cooking altogether, and works for a video game company. Her dream job. She must not have been that good of a cook after all, maybe? It was nice to hear why Gordon brought Jackie up for elimination, since apparently we didn't get to see the mess she made of her station. But if he goes to the trouble to bring her up, why didn't he send her packing?

GaT I find it very surprising they don't get full meals. I am not totally buying that one. In the mornings, maybe, when they get raided and sent on a challenge.

Danielle was there for, what, a week? Three eliminations and she was already worn out?

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

A lot of tech firms feed their employees as a way to keep them working. I assumed she was running food service for them.

fivestone

fivestone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:29 PM

"We’re not getting to see our family, we’re not getting a full night’s sleep, and we’re not getting full meals. All of these things are wearing on us."

They're not getting full meals? They don't feed the chefs while they're on the show?

I find it very surprising they don't get full meals. I am not totally buying that one. In the mornings, maybe, when they get raided and sent on a challenge.

Actually participants on other reality shows (e.g. - The Apprentice) have mentioned a lack of food, decent sleep and easy access to alcohol as a way to help ramp up the drama. Makes sense - people are a lot more likely to be cranky and irritable if they're not eating and sleeping very well.

davidmf

davidmf

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 9:21 AM

Thanks for the link davidmf,

Your Welcome GaT - post elimination HK interviews are always hard to find online - they seem to do the rounds with various radio shows - but the websites that do them seem to switch from Season to Season and although they all have a Sameness to them (Its harder than it looks on TV, Gordon is the best/worst depending on when they were eliminated) - they do give some behind the scenes info from time to time....

I find it very surprising they don't get full meals. I am not totally buying that one. In the mornings, maybe, when they get raided and sent on a challenge.

Actually participants on other reality shows (e.g. - The Apprentice) have mentioned a lack of food, decent sleep and easy access to alcohol as a way to help ramp up the drama. Makes sense - people are a lot more likely to be cranky and irritable if they're not eating and sleeping very well.

I agree that other shows do this, but given that the women have won all the reward challenges - which included sumptuous banquests/food I am having a hard time believing this one

ari333

ari333

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2013 @ 10:22 AM

So the skinny dude ran for blue and the chubby girl for red. Why didn't Ramsay just blow fairness off the charts and choose Nedra for the run? She might have put him in a perma-headlock. heh

This sucked. Not that a heavier person cannot run or that a thin person automatically can, but given two non-runners, which I thought was the premise, well.. you see where I'm going. BAH. Sometimes Ramsay makes me sick, in a figurative, internet, tv sort of way. Same with the over the wall bullshit. These folks are not soldiers.

Check points. Hee.