4-18: "Death of a Client" 2013.03.24

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

106 replies to this topic

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

Thanks for providing the info that all of Peter's cheating occurred before the series started. Interesting that Alicia is in love with two men with the same personailites as I don't see Will putting Alicia before his career either. And he is certainly as unethical as Peter, if not more.

I don't see Alicia as a strong enough woman to be able to be an equal partner with a strong man. Rather than a 'good wife' I see her as a 'martyr wife'. I also don't know that she is the type not to have a man in her life long term.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

And now I'm thoroughly confused about Alicia's timeline with Peter. He's from old money in Chicago, and I think it's pretty clear he's older than Alicia, so there's no logical way they went to law school together. Now it turns out they had a "shotgun" wedding after Alicia was already working in Chicago, so did they even know each other before she graduated from Georgetown? If not, what was the "bad timing" she and Will had during law school?

Plenty of people work for a few years before starting law school, it's not at all illogical that Peter and Alicia attended Georgetown together. Another possibility is that he was a year or two ahead of her when she started and they dated in her first year, then he worked in DC. And yet another possibility is that he was working in DC somewhere when they met while she was a law student. Maybe they met while Alicia was in undergrad wherever she went to college and he was a few years ahead or was a TA or something. Maybe they met in Chicago at some point when she was an intern or something, then dated long distance for a while before she moved there to start work.

That's not even exhaustive. All of this was 20 years ago and there's nothing odd about the timeline at all IMO. The only thing that seems clear character-wise is that based on her age, Alicia went straight from college to law school to working for two years (during which she had Zach, then got pregnant with Grace).

why did Alicia choose to work at a firm where the guy she obviously never got over works?

Because she would not have gotten a job anywhere else after a 13 year gap in which she didn't work at all. If she hadn't known Will Alicia would have ended up working admin or at a supermarket somewhere. Re-entering the work force in your 40s is a nightmare even without your husband being involved in a political scandal. Will is the only person in Chicago, if not America, who would have hired her.

I'm just going to express my general confusion at the Will/Peter 'choice' thing that has gone on lately because I was under the impression that Alicia had already chosen Peter, tacitly, by going along with all this governor stuff. I mentioned several episode threads ago that I didn't understand Alicia's motivations at all or what her plans were going to be if Peter wins - she might not have to live in the governor's mansion or whatever but she'd still have certain things to do as first lady of Illinois, right? It's one thing to attend a few dinners and play St Alicia passively, yet another to host charity lunches or whatever it is that First Ladies of states do (assuming they have active 'duties'). Did she think it was a viable option to campaign with him as St Alicia and then leave him after he (possibly) wins, creating a semi-scandal? All this drama has just rung false to me, IMO she made her choice a long time ago.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:22 PM

Why did Cary grab her hand all intensely at the ball?

It was writers' way of saying "Yes, you guessed it right. They hooked up two episodes ago".

Edited by Cassiopea76, Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:28 PM.

Nanrad

Nanrad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

User, I think we are still on the same page. ;-) Peter has always been threatened by Will, BUT Alicia and Will hadn't seen each other in years, so there was no reason to bring him up. Then, the scandal happens and Will reappears and becomes much more of a real threat than before.

As mentioned, Alicia went to Will because he was the only one who would give her a job, well, one that she wanted.

KM:

#1-6 all happened prior to the show beginning. The story since then is supposed to be supporting a redemption for Peter. Imo, there have been lots of evidence that a) Peter does love Alicia B) he's learned to control his horndog behavior c) he genuinely regrets his actions and how they hurt his family. I actually think the onus was on Kalinda, not Peter to reveal that bit of past, since he doesn't and shouldn't pile on the 'confessions' just to relieve his conscience. Instead it's Kalinda who knew how close she and Alicia had become as friends...not Peter...and so it's Kalinda who needed to speak up.

Regardless if it happened prior to the series or not, it is why the series started...it is why Alicia moved and entered the workforce again. Peter's actions changed the landscape of their relationship and it has to be taken into account when watching the series. Without his scandal, nothing in the show makes sense. I do believe that Peter loves Alicia and I'm not sure if I should be happy that he is controlling his horndog behavior because I don't believe that it should be an issue in the first place. I do believe he regrets his actions and onus or not, cheating is cheating. The reason the onus is on Peter is because he made those vows to Alicia not Kalinda. Alicia flat out asked him if there were any other women and he said no. It's not about relieving his conscience, but being honest when asked a question. Kalinda should have spoken, but I found it more understandable for her not to say anything than Peter. IF you have slept with multiple women, including prostitutes, what is one more woman who your wife was not that close to at the time?

Caterina

Caterina

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 9:12 AM

Just watched the episode and I didn't undestand one thing: isn't Zach older than Grace? Wasn't Alicia supposed to pregnant with him instead of Grace? Maybe I need to rewatch :)

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 11:38 AM

Yes Caterina, you are correct. Alicia's mom told the kids that Alicia was pregnant when she got married (with Zach), and also that Grace was not planned.

bananagramz44

bananagramz44

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

Even though the show seems to have upped in overall quality compared to the previous half of the season and most of season 3, there's something about it that has just completely drained most of the love I used to have for it. I think it's that they just skirt over so many things and minimize things, like Cary in general and Alicia and Kalinda's friendship and what happened with Peter and Kalinda and the entire political storyline, and then only go after scenes that they think are cool, like Peter being "awesome" and Kalinda being "awesome" and Alicia thinking about sex, which makes for a very disjointed viewing experience. While I kind of loved the montage-y flashbacks, the fact that they led up to John Noble's character predictably just being in love with "the process" and/or Alicia simply didn't have the poignancy to take advantage of that style.

Also, I guess this wasn't my favorite episode possibly because of the dirth of legal anything. I love the show's little legal puzzles and use of the law, and that's one of my favorite aspects of it.

I was disappointed at the whole Peter-punching thing. I don't even know how to describe how silly that was. It felt like yet another event in a parade of silliness that the show seems to substitute for any actual substance with their political story lines. And Matthew Perry is entertaining as a two-bit villain, but I think it's a terrible choice to have Peter's opponents always be horrible people. It's like the show recognizes that he's not a very good candidate and rather than flesh him out they'd rather put him against people viewers will inevitably root against.

Seeing Kalinda out on a regular date just kind of crystallizes how boring she has become. Now she's just a regular pretty lady who happens to have super powers, not a cool, baroque, mysterious meta badass. Before, whenever she was out on a date, going back to even annoying Burton, there was this deep, tragic undercurrent where I wondered how much she was giving up for her job, flirting with these people and opening herself up, even with lies, when she seems to really enjoy being private and maintaining her integrity. Now she's just...out on a date. Just seeing her out on the town and hooking up with Cary and doing increasingly kitschy things, like whisper threats in people's ears, has just made her such a bore. What a shame. Part of the problem is they just seem to be pretending nothing happened in the first half of the season and all of sudden she's season 1 Kalinda without the depth or the mystery. They might not have done very much with Kalinda in season 1, but the minimalism and Archie's performance created an implied depth and gave so much rope to the viewers. Now they've over-written her and are trying to go back to under-writing her and it's not working. They needed to have created a bridge to get to where they are and they just don't seem to care or be interested in that.

It was writers' way of saying "Yes, you guessed it right. They hooked up two episodes ago".

I think they're still playing coy and haven't set it in stone yet, hand grab or not. It could also just be a cue to their increasing emotional intimacy, implying that their bar conversation from two episodes ago was actually REALLY deep and interesting and it's resulting in random hand grabs.

Edited by bananagramz44, Mar 28, 2013 @ 2:55 PM.

MarkMN

MarkMN

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:02 PM

what her plans were going to be if Peter wins - she might not have to live in the governor's mansion or whatever but she'd still have certain things to do as first lady of Illinois, right? It's one thing to attend a few dinners and play St Alicia passively, yet another to host charity lunches or whatever it is that First Ladies of states do (assuming they have active 'duties').

I think it varies by state, but here in MN, when TPaw was governor, his wife was a sitting judge. And they continued to live in their regular residence rather than the Governor's Mansion.

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

Even though the show seems to have upped in overall quality compared to the previous half of the season and most of season 3, there's something about it that has just completely drained most of the love I used to have for it

The same goes for me. But I can't explain exactly why. I just know I don't have anticipations for anything.

I think they're still playing coy and haven't set it in stone yet, hand grab or not. It could also just be a cue to their increasing emotional intimacy, implying that their bar conversation from two episodes ago was actually REALLY deep and interesting and it's resulting in random hand grabs.

Too many things left to imagination after 4 years of "unresolved feelings". And that gives me that terrible feeling they're trashing Cary and Kalinda relationship too. That while I'm still wondering, after 18 episodes, why they did bring Cary to L&G if they did plan to leave him out of almost every court case.

Edited by Cassiopea76, Mar 29, 2013 @ 4:47 PM.

Myos

Myos

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:09 AM

This story made me think of what had happened to Zach in 4.1 and how Kristeva then went on to use it. Except here the guy doesn't have a powerful dad and wants his day in court to prove his point.
http://www.usatoday....ts-him/2037363/

Edited by Myos, Mar 30, 2013 @ 6:10 AM.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

I really hope the hand grab does not mean Cary and Kalinda are not now in some kind of friends-with-benefits open thing. I have no resistance to exploring something between Cary and Kalinda, but not if that "something" is going to amount to Cary being grateful for little sexual table scraps Kalinda throws at him whenever she happens to be in the mood and isn't otherwise occupied in a bar, trolling for yet another emotionless hookup with some other person/face/body she doesn't give a damn about.

During the period when Cary was at the SA's office, they did a storyline in which he got tired of his genuine care for Kalinda being used by her just to get legal favors or information for LG, without any reciprocity of care or affection being returned by her for him. Based on that past, the last thing Cary should be up for is serving as Kalinda's occasional-but-not-exclusive sexual partner with no emotional connection allowed. If this is the writers' way of trying, post-Nick, to restore Kalinda to her previous always-in-control, nobody-sees-the-inside, separate-but-not-equal (because she's better, oh so better!) awesomeness, I am aghast. I really don't need to see Cary served up as roadkill to demonstrate that Kalinda needs no one, yet can have anyone; sees and hears all, yet tells nothing, yada, yada...

Cassiopea76

Cassiopea76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

I really hope they're not just using Cary as Kalinda's crash test dummy. That would be the definitive last straw for me.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 1:06 PM

I'm not sure Peter has much jurisdiction over the police department, but wouldn't he be super pissed about them pulling that move on Alicia and by extension, his kids? Wonder if he will at least give Laura shit if he suspects she was in on it?

This show is kind of weird about how they follow up on stories, so I hope there is a scene, maybe a few episodes from now where it is Peter just ripping into the chief of police for having detectives working a case who would pull that kind of shit and get his kids involved like that.

sophygurl

sophygurl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 6:01 PM

I thought the hand grab was just Cary expressing worry for Kalinda going into a possibly dangerous situation. Which, yea, okay, it's Kalinda and she does that all the time. But she was doing it this time based on information he had just given her and it was about a possibly corrupt cop - which imo ups the ante on danger since they have a lot more power than the typical bad guy. He tells her to be careful, she reacts typically for her like she's not doing anything more dangerous than crossing the street, and he reaches a hand out to say "no, really. be careful."

I think that makes sense whether or not they'd recently hooked up because they do care about one another and he would be concerned for her general safety either way.

soobsessed

soobsessed

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2013 @ 5:31 AM

Best COTW so far, loved the flashbacks and that they were not sequencial, like in other shows who thinks or remembers events sequencially anyway?

Love the new, old Kalinda, but something is missing. I can't put my finger on it though. I can accept Cary and Kalinda, they can have as much sex as they want. Offscreen.

Edited by soobsessed, Apr 16, 2013 @ 5:34 AM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 5:36 PM

I think it varies by state, but here in MN, when TPaw was governor, his wife was a sitting judge. And they continued to live in their regular residence rather than the Governor's Mansion.

Don't know about Illinois, but here in Maryland, Martin O'Malley's wife is a judge right now.

John Potts

John Potts

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2013 @ 4:03 PM

I agree that this was the best of the Season - which is slightly worrying given we had no Court Scenes in a legal drama (at least, not that I can recall). Loved Peter's take down of Chandler Bing (OK, I know that's not the character's name here) because, while I don't approve of violence, he used exactly his own methods against him (insinuations and misrepresenting the facts). It's just unfortunate that we hadn't been introduced to the CotW before - if the deceased was such an important client, you'd think he'd at least get mentioned before now (even if budgetary reasons mean we've never actually seen him before). I loved that ultimately it wasn't the CIA/MI5/Mossad that got him, but the neighbour with the dog! And yes, according to my Degree in TV Law, cops are allowed to lie to gain information from suspects (and presumably interviewees).

Kalinda & Will both showed their devotion to Alicia here, dropping what (or who!) they were doing to help her out, though Kalinda's encyclopaedic knowledge of what cars come fitted with a Satnav was of dubious worth to say they least (as others have said, it's not like the driver couldn't fit one himself). Though I am glad that the Queen of Indecision actually made a definite choice of Peter over Will (even if I might think it's the wrong choice, it's better than her playing "Buridan's Ass" with the pair of them). Also wasn't exactly clear how Alicia had managed to keep her kids from knowing that she was pregnant at the time of her wedding - it seems unlikely they'd managed to keep everyone at their wedding from revealing the fact that Zach was born only seven months after their wedding - I could buy that they put about that Zach was born premature ("Two months premature and still a healthy 8lbs!") even if nobody actually bought that. They might be able to keep their children from seeing a wedding license (dunno if Illinois has them) but they'd also have to not put any dates on their actual wedding photos (I could see in my family photo albums when my parents were married and when I was born - five and a bit years later, in fact - unless they've gone to great lengths to maintain a lie that I personally wouldn't particularly care about).