14-17: "Undercover Blue" 2012.03.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

15 replies to this topic

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 8:35 PM

The detectives investigate accusations against their old friend, Brian Cassidy. Meanwhile, Benson's secret man is revealed. Dean Winters guest stars.

Anything with Dean Winters gets two thumbs up from me. Surprisingly, however, the whole episode wasn't too ridiculous (though Munch undercover with the pimp cane was a bit much). They also did a good job of finding a kid that looked enough like Amaro that I bought him as his son.

Edited by misterbfd, Mar 21, 2013 @ 8:37 PM.

Lilybee

Lilybee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

So Cassidy is hooking up with Liv. Who would have thunk?

tricknasty

tricknasty

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 7:51 AM

Why go through the whole ruse of pretending to sleep with the unwilling woman? Why not just tell the pimp that he had an untreated STD? Problem solved. So contrived...

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

First of all, CYRIL O'REILY. Scott William Winters still looks great (that's one hot family). When I saw Scott's name in the credits I was like "WHAT" and then he popped up and was sassy and flirted with Rollins a lil' bit and it was awesome. Plus that meant we had a triple Oz reunion.

I love Cassidy (well, Dean Winters) and I love him with Olivia. I also love that strange tension/jealousy thing happening between him and Amaro (first with that Clarissa woman and now wih Benson).

Munch undercover, even for 5 seconds, was glorious.

I like Amaro. I don't know. I enjoy his drama.

I also liked that in the end Cassidy was a little "eh" about the whole thing, Liv definitely tried to help him but never in a way that automatically discredited the "victim", she was being fair but she was also trusting her gut and looking for more facts. That must have stung for him a bit but he understood, and I liked the way they left holding hands. Aw. First Olivia relationship I actually approve of.

Edited by Princess Lucky, Mar 24, 2013 @ 11:22 AM.

ImEasy

ImEasy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 8:31 AM

So contrived...

The whole show is a contrived soap opera lite mess. I wonder if this is the last season, if so what a pathetic way to go out.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 9:06 AM

So Cassidy is hooking up with Liv. Who would have thunk?

Eh. They had sex for like a minute in Season 1, and Cassidy was getting too moopy and Liv dumped him--it was "Closure" I think it was, Tracy Pollan's character being raped.

So I guess, now that Cassidy is no longer the naive, can't-handle-rape-cases Detective, he's super cool and Liv can now bang him on a regular basis? [insert eye rollingness at the lameness of this]

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 10:43 AM

I guess we now know what Olivia was doing over Christmas vacation.

The Amaro plot proves that this show has officially turned into one big soap opera. I miss Stabler. But considering what SVU is doing to assassinate the characters (first the Captain, then Marcia Gay Harden's FBI agent character, now Cassidy...) I think it might be better if he stayed as far away from this show as possible.

Rockville

Rockville

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

I liked it. Approve of Cassidy and of Benson and Cassidy. Yup, the boy sure looked like Amaro. Hugely distracting: Cassidy's hair. He clearly got a haircut at some point during filming -- it's super short at the beginning, normal through most of the show, and super long and floppy the second(?) time he's on the stand.

And every time I see him, I think he's going to fall through a snowy roof or crash into a car. That's the power of advertising.

MorbidPet

MorbidPet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 12:26 PM

I liked the episode. As to the Benson/Cassidy thing I'm just relieved it wasn't Barba who was 'the thing', that would have made it too awkward. I think Benson & Cassidy could work but Warren has said that he's Mr Right Now and not necessarily Mr Right and just as long as Benson seems happy I'm fine with it.

Liked the Amaro drama but I'm kinda hoping it turns out not to be his kid. Too much soap drama. I'll take the drama in the squad room instead. I'm missing the sexual tension between Stabler & Benson so I'm fishing for anything right now. I'm a Fin/Rollins shipper but I'll take Amaro/Rollins too just to get some tension back into the squad room. The Benson/Amaro tension just doesn't work for me.

Loved Rollins undercover, Cassidy is cheeky in a fun way. Didn't believe Munch/Amaro undercover though, too over the top.

Nice with some courtroom drama as well. Nice mix in this episode of court and street.

I'm so hoping for another season and I can't wait for the two hours finale.

floretbroccoli

floretbroccoli

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

I was entertained to find similar tropes on SVU and Project Runway this week.

On SVU Amaro was furious that, while he was testifying against Cassidy, Cassidy's lawyer revealed Amaro's past to impeach him as a witness. HOW DARE YOU SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT ME WHILE I'M TESTIFYING AGAINST YOU!

And on Project Runway one of the designers (Richard, for anyone who cares) wouldn't talk to one of his teammates because last week, when the judges made the contestants say which of their teammates should go home, she dared to say his name. THERE WERE THREE PEOPLE ON OUR TEAM. HOW DARE YOU NAME ME!

Boy, self-involvement and lack of self-awareness, according to scripted AND (supposedly) non-scripted TV, are running rampant.

At least Amaro didn't say Cassidy had thrown him under the bus. (Unless he did and I missed it.)

Edited by floretbroccoli, Mar 22, 2013 @ 1:20 PM.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

This was my favorite episode this season, which I guess isn't surprising since I'm an unabashed Danny Pino fangirl. But I just liked the whole thing. I like Benson and Cassidy together, I thought DP was excellent in his scenes, loved Munch the Pimp, and truthfully, as much as I love his character I was glad to see Amaro get knocked off his self-constructed pedestal a bit--he needed it. Also glad to see Barba. I want him to be a regular.

I do have a question, though: did Nick Jr.'s mother know that her boyfriend was selling drugs? Did she know her son was being used? She didn't seem terribly upset when Amaro told her what was up. Unless I missed something, which is entirely possible.

Like you, MorbidPet, I'm hoping for a renewal. I know a lot of the veteran SVU viewers don't like the show anymore, but this season and last are my L&O: SVU. Never watched the earlier seasons, have no interest them, I like the personal angles, and I'm very invested in this cast and feel they're all working well together. I want to see at least another season of the show, and hopefully more. I understand we'll find out in April. Keeping my fingers crossed for the renewal, and that the rest of the season stays at the level of this episode.

Edited by kirinan, Mar 22, 2013 @ 2:18 PM.

Xantar

Xantar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

The best part of this episode for me was seeing all the Allstate commercials with Mayhem.

And on a completely different note, how come the prostitute who accused Cassidy of rape knew about the scar on his inner thigh if nothing actually happened? Did they strip down just for appearances in case somebody walked in on them?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 12:01 AM

And on a completely different note, how come the prostitute who accused Cassidy of rape knew about the scar on his inner thigh if nothing actually happened? Did they strip down just for appearances in case somebody walked in on them?

She was told about the scar by... I forget the name of the guy Cassidy was going to testify against. It was passed on to her as a way to lend her story credibility.

HalfwayThere

HalfwayThere

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 4:58 PM

I know a lot of the veteran SVU viewers don't like the show anymore, but this season and last are my L&O: SVU. Never watched the earlier seasons, have no interest them, I like the personal angles, and I'm very invested in this cast and feel they're all working well together.

I'm not exactly a veteran watcher - I started mid-season 12 (but I have since seen almost every episode) - but I do think the show was at its absolute prime seasons 1-4 and hasn't come close to that since.

That said, in my opinion, this season and the previous one are the best ones since Season 4. I think Rollins and Amaro added a badly-needed new energy to the show and it's different, but still has been awesome to watch. I'm really hoping for a season 15 and think the show could definitely keep pulling off quality episodes . Given how weak NBC's ratings are across the board, I think the show also has a solid chance of being renewed.

(My only quibble is that I assumed Oliviaa was a lesbian from my first episode (again, my first episode was SEASON 12, long past the Butchy McFab years) and I'm really not buying this dating/sleeping with men thing. I am however, happy to fanwank that Alex Cabot was hiding in the back room at Cassidy's until directly told otherwise. Also, I miss Munch.)

staveDarsky

staveDarsky

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

I'm a long-time SVU viewer and I'm thrilled with the additions of Rollins and Amaro. Reminds me of how good L&O the Mothership got in seasons 18-20, especially with Jeremy Sisto and Linus Roache.

I really enjoyed this episode and the return of Cassidy. It's wonderful to have a season 1 character reappear and be involved with the current cast and a very rare thing among series. So many shows change writers over their lives and the new writers want to write only for new characters, not the long-established ones. Amaro, Rollins and Cassidy are letting us see other sides of Fin, Liv, Munch and Cragan.

LOVED how the team set up the bust between the meds dealer and Heather's BF. I laughed and laughed when I saw that. Also loved Rollins undercover with Cassidy. That was fun.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 16, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

The whole show is a contrived soap opera lite mess.

The Amaro plot proves that this show has officially turned into one big soap opera.

Really.

After catching the rerun of this episode, all I could do was wonder: Why the hell didn't they just name Danny Pino's SVU character 'Scotty Valens' and have him be there on some sort of cop exchange program with Philadelphia P.D.? (They transferred Munch successfully from Baltimore and Homicide, after all). As far as I can see, Pino is playing virtually the same hot-headed, self-involved, over-reactive person on this show that he played on Cold Case. In fact, I'm almost positive there was plotline on CC about Valens having been undercover in a drug gang, and having been romantically involved with a girl whom he subsequently lost track of when the gang was busted up. I don't think there was a (faux?) kid involved, but still, it was awfully similar to the Amaro backstory in this ep. Is there really such lack of imagination among show writers? Pino is a good actor, but from what I've seen he's being pigeonholed and wasted on SVU. But maybe he doesn't care, and who could blame him? - after all, it's a steady paycheck.

I did enjoy seeing Dean Winters though, and the WTF-ness of Cassidy and Olivia having sex. In fact, oddly enough, Olivia being involved with Cassidy somehow made her seem cooler, smarter and more human than she's ever seemed before, to me. 

Edited by azzurro, Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:21 PM.