4-17: "Because the Night" 2013.03.21 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

76 replies to this topic

Nata7

Nata7

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 9:26 AM

Anyway, I call BS on the whole immortality thing for the Originals: they're not invulnerable so their heads can be severed and their hearts can be torn out.

Exactly, cut their heads off and they are dead. What will they do, glue it back or grow a new one? That's a thing that has always been stupid in many vampire shows/movies but it's in a whole new level of stupidity here.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

they will totally want to give it to Elena still, screw the zombie apocalypse.

Well, if I understand this ridiculous rigamarole correctly, Silas would tear down the Other Side before taking the Cure, so the zombie apocalypse would be happening no matter who took the Cure.

Hell, in some way it would be better to give the cure either to Elena or Rebekah or, if they're feeling smart, to Klaus as soon as possible: with no Cure and no way for him to die, Silas might just leave the Other Side alone, since he would gain nothing from destroying it anymore.

I think it was for the same reason super-strong and super-fast Stefan couldn`t swim two measly humans to safety at once.

God, the idiotic plot-contrievances we have to swallow sometimes...

Edited by Alkja, Mar 24, 2013 @ 9:31 AM.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 12:02 PM

Just wanted to mention, I floved Klaus saying he learned to read a map from his friend, Magellan. I like small reminders like that of how old he is supposed to be. I had to wonder if Caroline even "got" that one, though. Maybe he should have said his friend Chris Columbus (although we know his map reading skills werent great since he ended up in the wrong place LOL).

franopy

franopy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

I had to wonder if Caroline even "got" that one, though.

Judging from how much time the gang spend on actually attending lessons (I'm not even going to get started on homework), probably not. But I agree, it was a nice touch and I like the idea of Klaus not just roaming the world on a never-ending killing spree, but learning and befriending people he could learn something from.

I know that my wish is not going to be granted, but can we please get rid of Silas already, especially in this least impressive of bodily shapes that is Shane. No offence to the actor, but if I am being made to watch the biggest evil of them all (for now) preparing to set off a Zombie Apocalypse, at least make him someone truly awe-inducing and terrifying. He does not need to be gruesomely deformed or anything, just an impressive figure would do and an actor with gravitas.

Also, now that she killed an entire Coven, will spirits start messing with Caroline's daylight ring or other witchy-revengy things? I don't even know what to make of Bonnie's alleged amnesia, but it would make more sense if she was faking it, I think. Unless sadly unimpressive Silas/Shane temporarily switched off the mind control, just to take over again when he needs her services again.

Edited by franopy, Mar 25, 2013 @ 2:16 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

I just re-watched and I'm still a bit confused about what it is Silas wants to do. But I agree with whoever pointed out that it seems like what ever his plan, if he can't get to the cure which would allow him to die and be with his twu wuv his motivation is gone.

Thus, giving the cure to anyone else as soon as possible might be a legit move. Making it less stupid to give the cure to Elena (assuming she still wants it - I'm not sure how much of her current stance is humanity switch talking and how much is that with Jeremey being dead, she has less motivation)... except that Silas is sure to be super pissed off if that happens making it a death sentence for whomever takes the cure and possibly whomever gives it to him or her. So, yeah, Elena is still my choice.

Also, Rebekah shoving that guy away DOES NOT GET OLD. I need of gif of that stat. Any of you lovelies who are much more adept at that than I done so already?

immortalfrieza

immortalfrieza

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2013 @ 9:08 PM

just re-watched and I'm still a bit confused about what it is Silas wants to do. But I agree with whoever pointed out that it seems like what ever his plan, if he can't get to the cure which would allow him to die and be with his twu wuv his motivation is gone.

I actually don't get this whole "one dose" thing. The very existence of the cure proves that curing vampires is possible, why can't Bonnie or some other witch whip up as many cure doses as is needed? Also, why has no witch ever tried curing vampirism as far as we ever hear? I mean, from what I've seen on this show all it seems to require for a witch to make or do anything they want is to speak some Latin (what do they say anyway? Is it just nonsense that sounds like Latin or actual Latin?) and want it badly enough.

...Making it less stupid to give the cure to Elena (assuming she still wants it - I'm not sure how much of her current stance is humanity switch talking and how much is that with Jeremey being dead, she has less motivation)...

As far as I've seen on this show Elena has NEVER really cared all that much for being cured even back when she first transistioned into a vampire, and even less so once her humanity was off. In fact, I don't recall there ever being a moment when she was ever actually asked by anyone if she ever wanted to be cured. It's Damon and Stefan that have wanted to cure Elena all this time because of the sire bond and now because her switch is on. As Elena herself put it in "After School Special": "When he(Stefan) looks at me, all he sees is a broken toy."
The brothers don't love Elena for who she actually is or the kind of person she's turning into, but for their own imaginary versions of her that they want to turn her into, whether it's actually good for Elena or their relationship with her is irrelevant to them.
In fact, in this show most everybody but Elena seems to make most all of her decisions for her, to hell with Elena actually wants. Elena just seems to go along with it because she cares so much about the people that are doing this, and now with her humanity off, she's stopped being the puppet that everybody on the show just passes around.

Edited by immortalfrieza, Mar 26, 2013 @ 10:30 PM.

Alkja

Alkja

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:11 AM

It's Damon and Stefan that have wanted to cure Elena all this time because of the sire bond and now because her switch is on.

Well, while I'm completely sure that Stefan would want to make Elena a human again regardless of those things (and was actually looking for the Cure before those came into play), Damon is all about fixing those issues. it just turn out that the only way to do so is making Elena turn back into a human.

To me there's a difference: Stefan cannot handle Elena being a vampire period, Damon cannot accept vampire Elena being robbed of her free will by the Sire Bond.

In and of itself, wanting to restore someone's free will and put them in condition to choose what to be/do is not exactly awful.

If Elena became human again and in complete possession of her faculties said "Actually, being a vampire was kinda awesome. I want to turn again." Damon would help her do so in a blink. Stefan would need smelling salts.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 4:20 AM

As far as I've seen on this show Elena has NEVER really cared all that much for being cured even back when she first transistioned into a vampire, and even less so once her humanity was off. In fact, I don't recall there ever being a moment when she was ever actually asked by anyone if she ever wanted to be cured

She asked Damon to take the cure and have a human life with her, I think that's a pretty strong indication that she wanted it.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 8:42 AM

I know that my wish is not going to be granted, but can we please get rid of Silas already, especially in this least impressive of bodily shapes that is Shane. No offence to the actor, but if I am being made to watch the biggest evil of them all (for now) preparing to set off a Zombie Apocalypse, at least make him someone truly awe-inducing and terrifying. He does not need to be gruesomely deformed or anything, just an impressive figure would do and an actor with gravitas.

Amen! I actually don't have a problem with the idea of Silas as the Big Bad, but honestly, Shane is the least threatening person I have ever seen on this show. At least when Klaus showed up, he was intimidating looking and behaving. Shane just can't sell it. I am hoping that Bonnie's amnesia is real and thus the Shane look won't be needed anymore and they can bring in a totally new actor who can sell this storyline.

She asked Damon to take the cure and have a human life with her, I think that's a pretty strong indication that she wanted it.

But wasn't that supposedly the whole sirebond thing talking? They wanted her to take the cure and she wanted to have a pretty little life with Damon, making babies and being in lurve.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 9:17 AM

But wasn't that supposedly the whole sirebond thing talking? They wanted her to take the cure and she wanted to have a pretty little life with Damon, making babies and being in lurve.

I don't think so, Damon had just finished telling her he didn't want her to turn back. If the sire bond influenced anything, it was her desire to be human with Damon, not her desire to be human period.
She wanted to take the cure all along, if she didn't she would have stopped the whole thing way before, wouldn't she? She only changed her mind when she learned that there was only one dose.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

I don't think so, Damon had just finished telling her he didn't want her to turn back. If the sire bond influenced anything, it was her desire to be human with Damon, not her desire to be human period.
She wanted to take the cure all along, if she didn't she would have stopped the whole thing way before, wouldn't she? She only changed her mind when she learned that there was only one dose.

I didn't remember the part about him telling her he didn't want her to turn back. Now that I am thinking about it, though, wasn't a huge part of her wanting the cure wrapped up in wanting to be human for Jeremy? So much stuff happens each week, I lose track.

Despite how Klaus' character has been turned into a wimp, this episode reminded me of why I am going to miss him. I always loved his interactions with Caroline (and am pissed as hell that I will never get to see them together) and his humor ("not to nit pick, but we use minions to pick up the dry cleaning" LOL). I stay spoiler free so I have zero idea of how they are working this spin-off but I really will miss Klaus (and Rebekkah, of course) and his never followed through on threats.

coxfire

coxfire

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

I know it's way, way, way back, but in Season 2, after Damon tried to forcefeed her, Elena clearly stated "I don't want to be a vampire, Stefan".

I know it was a long time ago, and lots happened ever since, but I feel that she still didn't want to be a vampire before the car crash. And then she woke up one day and was one. And basically hated it for a huge part of the season.

Now, I agree that the Sire Bond complicates everything and that nothing she said can be taken as face value, and we don't know how much it interferes with her decisions. So I don't know if she wanted it nor not, but I tend to agree with Vedder.

Plus, as some other said, everyone has made decisions for her: Caroline, Stefan, Damon. I wish the show would let her be the one in control of what she wants to do.

Vedder

Vedder

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 12:25 PM

Now that I am thinking about it, though, wasn't a huge part of her wanting the cure wrapped up in wanting to be human for Jeremy?

Yeah, it was her main motivation and everyone in the show knows that.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 3:18 PM

The recap went up this morning. I hope you enjoy it.

BasilBee

BasilBee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

Just wanted to mention, I floved Klaus saying he learned to read a map from his friend, Magellan. I like small reminders like that of how old he is supposed to be. I had to wonder if Caroline even "got" that one, though. Maybe he should have said his friend Chris Columbus (although we know his map reading skills werent great since he ended up in the wrong place LOL).

It was funny - however, whenever the show reminds me how old Klaus is, I am once again baffled that someone so old chooses to socialize exclusively with teenagers. It pulled me out of the episode. I would choose to meet the sun after a few months of that. I realize this is the premise of the show, but really? All these vampires -- all their human companions are teenagers? (Alaric/Damon being the sole exception - have I missed anyone?)

Edited by BasilBee, Mar 27, 2013 @ 7:45 PM.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

From the Recap:

Is the show trying to make think Damon was really the Son of Sam, or is there just a big vampire grapevine?

If they are, then the writers fail history. Son of Sam shot people with a revolver. There were also survivors. I realize they play extremely loosely with history (Vikings and horses in Virginia in the 11th century), but 5 minutes deploying the Googles and anyone would know this was unbelievable.

whenever the show reminds me how old Klaus is, I am once again baffled that someone so old chooses to socialize exclusively with teenagers.

Several people have theorized that becoming a vamp arrests your emotional development as well as physical aging. I don’t know how old Klaus was when he turned, but obviously he had the emotional maturity of a 16 year old. Same with Rebekkah. The adult vampires we’ve seen are mostly off-screen, like Elijah.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:52 PM

I feel like a total idiot that, despite watching the damn episode twice, it took me until this moment while reading Cindy's recap and the mention of the pink streak in Elena's hair to realize that it is totally to serve as the Elena identifier for furture Kat scenes (and to be copied when Kat was's to pull a switch on people). Duh, how else would Elena be able to have the requisite Evil!Curls to her hair if she didn't have a streak to help us views out?

Edited by RachelKM, Mar 28, 2013 @ 3:54 PM.