4-11: "Decoy" 2013.03.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

115 replies to this topic

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

Boyd and the Detroit mob try every dirty trick there is to stop Raylan and Drew Thompson from leaving Harlan alive.

Damn, how can everybody be awesome on this show? Nicky was awesome, Boyd was awesome, Colt was awesome (see what getting off the junk can do?), Tim was awesome, Rachel was awesome, Art was awesome, Raylan was awesome and last but certainly not least, Constable Bob was awesome. A spine of steel was contained in that pudgy little body.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Everybody was freaking bad-ass, and I loved it. Constable Bob is the most awesome person, like ever. I kept wanting him to kill that bastard, and he did. I love that little guy.

A spine of steel was contained in that pudgy little body.

Heck, it was even his idea for Drew and Rachel to escape by train. That man uses his brains. I almost want a Bob of my very own.

Hell, I even loved Ava. I so wanted her to blow that guys brains out, though.

The moral of the story is never underestimate your opponent. All the bad guys did, today, and they got owned.

Edited by mustbekarma, Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:06 PM.

benteen

benteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:07 PM

Really good, tense episode. This is definitely one of the things Justified does best.

Agreed that everyone is badass. So glad that Tim had a lot to do. I got a good laugh out of Colt saying he wanted someone who looked like a young Gerard dePardieu cast as him. I wasn't sure Constable Bob was going to make it. But he killed Yoohoo, I mean Yolo!

I thought Boyd was insane to send Colt out there but it paid off.

Edited by benteen, Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:10 PM.

VoiceofJoy

VoiceofJoy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

The moral of the story is never underestimate your opponent. All the bad guys did, today, and they got owned.

This.

Constable Bob is truly a badass. I was particularly gratified they used the train, as my grandfather "got out" of Eastern Kentucky with his family by working for L&N.

Colt for the win! I knew there was something in there. He did himself proud.

I love this show.

Edited by VoiceofJoy, Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:09 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

This show has the biggest collection of badasses ever assembled. It's spectacular.

I loved pretty much every second of this episode, but my two favorite moments were the Colt/Tim phone conversation (and then the marshalls "circling the wagons"), and Ava nearly lighting Nicky Augustine on fire.

This was an episode constructed largely around long, tense, wonderfully choreographed set pieces (Tim vs. Colt, YOLO vs. Bob, the bar scene), but it was sewn together in such a coherent, breathlessly paced fashion. Just wonderful writing and editing.

I love that Boyd was serving as an expert on Raylan in this episode. I also love that he didn't seem to want to hurt Raylan, still. He wasn't there yet (though he might be now; he looked pretty pissed at the end there).

Actually, my favorite moment was the brief confusion about who was supposed to throw the molotov cocktail. So funny.

deb50

deb50

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:27 PM

I could watch Tim/Colt talking on the phone for an hour. I'd like to see their movie! Hated seeing Bob take such a whooping but he was the hero of the hour, so good on him!

I wanted Ava to shut Nickys mouth permantly ! I would like to see him pay for his disrespect to the Crowders.

Johnny will never leave Harlan alive. Wonder what Colt is up to??

Everyone was firing on all cylinders tonight! Made of win!!!

The Other Daughter

The Other Daughter

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:46 PM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]I love that Boyd was serving as an expert on Raylan in this episode. I also love that he didn't seem to want to hurt Raylan, still. He wasn't there yet (though he might be now; he looked pretty pissed at the end there).[/font]

Seriously. It was a time when they were on completely different sides in total opposition to one another-more so than we've seen all season, or for that matter any season since Season 1-and yet in a way that completely re-affirmed that tragic 'closeness' those two have with one another. There's no one but NO ONE who knows Raylan like Boyd.

Great to see Constable Bob be the hero for a change.

Oh Johnny, double crossing Boyd was always sure to blow up in your face, but I especially hate to see it do so like this when you were doing the right thing for a change.

Who wants to bet Nicky Augustine doesn't leave Harlan alive? Unless they're setting him up to take over after Theo Tonin. Something has to happen to the Detroit mob if for no other reason so that our beloved slimeball Wynn Duffy can re-surface in Harlan again.

Take heed show...watching Tim and Rachel both getting to be total badasses this week made me forgive a lot of continuity errors I was bitching about in the past.

Watching Raylan be so self-rightously insistent on how totally different he is from Shelby, (part and parcel with a lot of other comments from him and others this season,) suggests that our favorite modern day cowboy is headed for a serious moral fall and is gonna end up himself on the wrong side of the law at some point.

So how many more people will Colt take out before Tim takes him out?

bcharmer

bcharmer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:51 PM

Hell, I even loved Ava. I so wanted her to blow that guys brains out, though.

I was kinda hoping she'd bite the guy's dick off, myself.

"Dick, dick, dick."

charmante456

charmante456

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

I was kinda hoping she'd bite the guy's dick off, myself.

So was I, but then his next line completely redeemed himself to me.

Best single episode I've seen of TV in a long time.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:31 PM

That was a beautifully crafted hour of TV. "Bob, hide."

Oy. There were a lot of punches in the face tonight, but the punchees triumphed. I'm still nervous for Ava, but Boyd and Ava v. Nicky gives me hope (a dangerous thing in these parts, I know).

Drewbacca had to be Patton.

VoiceofJoy

VoiceofJoy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:43 PM

Because I forgot to mention it in my earlier post: Any show that has a Deputy Marshall quoting a 19th century female poet is made of win.

"There is no frigate like a book." -Raylan and Emily G*dd*amn Dickinson

Edited by VoiceofJoy, Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:45 PM.

shriekingeel

shriekingeel

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

People all over the world, join hands, get on the love train....

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

I so wanted her to blow that guys brains out, though.

I wish she would have started him on fire a little. Or bite his dick off. Or superglue his mouth shut. I really loathe him--haven't felt this utter hatred for a character for a long time. Probably because I am a big Ava fan...

"We dug coal together." It makes perfect sense.

SJ82

SJ82

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

People all over the world, join hands, get on the love train....

I like to think that because Yoohoo played that song while torturing Bob, Bob thought of getting Drewbacca out of Harlan on the coal train. Talk about poetic justice.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

Damn! Constable Bob just gain my respect big time. Tough guy, right there. And Patton Oswalt really did a good job tonight. A pleasant surprise this season.

While it lacked in the humor department (a few funny moments though), they sure made up for it in the intensity department. The stand-offs were insane. I loved pretty much all of the scenes, but the Colton/Tim phone conversation was the stand-out for me. Ron Eldard and Jacob Pitts sold the hell out of it. Really, all of Tim/Colton/Art's stuff was great. I really hope the endgame will be Tim and Colton meeting up again. I can't wait to see how it will play out.

I figured something was going down at the end, since Rachel and Shelby/Drew seemed to just disappear, but the train reveal was pretty sweet.

Raylan and Boyd will always be awesome. Their relationship really drives the show.

Ava temporary one-upping Nicky was also great. And, now she (and therefore Boyd) know Johnny went behind their back. Yeah, I don't see this ending well for him. I'm hoping Boyd/Ava managed to take out Johnny, Nicky, and the rest, leaving Duffy to slither his way back in like the slimy, shark-eyed cockroach that he is (and I mean all that in the best way possible, heh.)

Only two episodes left. Oh, boy, shit is going to get real.

Edited by thuganomics85, Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:29 AM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:20 AM

Well holy crap, Constable Bob! That fight was epic. At first I was sad because I was sure he was going to get killed then I got mad because I just wanted him to stop saying stupid Drew puns because he was going to get killed. But then he came through and he took that beating like a champ. But that guy was seriously calling himself YOLO? Ugh.

That whole episode had me tense because I was sure everyone was about to die, lol. Tim and Art being stuck on that road was nerve wracking. Go Tim!

I hope Boyd and Ava figure out also that Johnny was the one to tell Raylan about the Drew drop site. They wouldn't have been in that position if it wasn't for him. I loved Ava sidling up to Nicky with the lighter and the brandy. Very clever.

Nicky bitching about Boyd taking 40 words to say something when 4 would do was funny. The "we dug coal together" was even funnier. There's your four words, Nicky.

Highness

Highness

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:47 AM

I love that Arlo is still so present in the show despite the fact that he's dead. They are doing a great job of having Raylan work through his "daddy issues".

Boyd was so fantastic as the Raylan-Whisperer. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

But why did Colt kill Tonnin's guy? Just because he's crazy and he could?

Atomic Clock

Atomic Clock

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

Sepinwall's review of this awesome episode. No, he did not undersell it.

I expected a blood bath with Shelby as a casualty. This is another time that Elmore Leonard's style of building to an unexpected climax was used, but unlike last season, this one really worked.

Nick Augustine is officially a badass. Johnny is officially a dead man. Constable Bob is officially the Columbo of Harlan County.

One thing I loved about Nick baiting Ava...it served a purpose. Quarles was a man who was coming unhinged and ultimately proved to be easy prey for Boyd. Nick is scary because he's fully in control. Boyd should be very, very afraid.

I wanted Ava to shut Nickys mouth permantly ! I would like to see him pay for his disrespect to the Crowders.

No doubt he was an asshole chiding Ava about her phantom promiscuity, but there was a lot of truth in what he said. That's why it stung. Boyd's a small time criminal and she'll never be queen.

I love that Arlo is still so present in the show despite the fact that he's dead.

The conversation between Raylan and Shelby about their history in Vietnam was pure Justified gold. It helps explain to me a little about why Arlo would keep Drew's secret. Even if they didn't like each other, they were veterans in the same war who understood one another, much like Tim and Colt. They have an empathetic bond.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

Boyd was so fantastic as the Raylan-Whisperer.

I legit LOL'd on that. And even better is that Raylan knew Boyd was going to figure it out. They just can't quit each other, so to speak.

I was gonna super upset if Constable Bob died. Raylan would have done very bad things to Yoohoo (best line of the night )

I totally victory armed when they circled the wagons. That was awesome.

Great episode.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 1:32 AM

But why did Colt kill Tonnin's guy? Just because he's crazy and he could?

He killed the guy because the ambush didn't work as well as it needed to work. The car bomb was "defused" and all the marshals were heading back to reinforce Raylan. Colton figured that if Drew does in fact get away, Nicky will kill Boyd and his associates, which include Colton. Colton killed Nicky's guy so he'll have a free (sniper-rifle armed) hand to deal with Nicky and the rest of the Detroit guys.

Edited by johntfs, Mar 20, 2013 @ 1:32 AM.

Tatler

Tatler

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 2:51 AM

What more can I say?

Fantastic episode - for my money probably the best single episode since 'Bulletville'.

Loved the mirroring of Boyd and Raylan and Drew and Raylan and the fact that in spite of the trailer there was no big shoot-out blood-bath it was all cat-and-mouse.

Oh Johnny ......

ShortTimer

ShortTimer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 3:25 AM

All the Crowder boys love Ava, I guess. Poor Johnny. I'm sad that he isn't going to last... unless somehow he switches over to join Duffy and becomes Boyd's rival. I kind of loved how Ava was so outwardly cool about Nicky baiting her but Johnny couldn't stand it. He is sort of chivalrous in a messed up, violent way. Please let him switch sides and become an outright rival. (P.S. Wish Nicky had at least gotten a little singed. He was just vile.)

Adding my agreement about the awesomeness of Constable Bob. I thought he was just annoying in the first episode of the season, but his portrayal has been so good, I totally believed he had a knife somewhere and was gonna stab that guy. That beating was long and difficult to watch though. Loved Raylan showing him some respect and noting his awesomeness.

I hope that somehow Colt survives; I'd love to see him back next season. His conversation with Tim was stellar. As was circling the wagons. What a great line!

Raylan and Boyd are so perfect together, even when they're not in the same room. Heh. Their time in the mines was fairly brief, it seems, yet they're still so connected. "What was that astronaut's name?"/ "We dug coal together."

What is so unique about this show is the time it takes for everyone to tell stories. Many shows are so fast paced with scenes that are quick and pack in a fair amount (increased number of commercial breaks partly to blame), yet not necessarily compelling. But here was a great example of the opposite. That was a very tense episode, and yet there were extended scenes and long conversations. What a perfect example of gifted storytelling. This season has been so good.

From Sepinwall's review: "What made this one so great is the thing that so often powers the work of Elmore Leonard: watching smart, competent people get to be smart and competent." [emphasis mine]

Man, only two episodes left? It's going to be a long wait until next season.

Edited by ShortTimer, Mar 20, 2013 @ 3:35 AM.

Spectrum Bear

Spectrum Bear

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 3:55 AM

That was the most intense, most tense, most brutal (oh, poor, wonderful Constable Bob!) episode I ever saw. I almost couldn't watch it. And it was great.

Everybody did a fantastic job. And I'm a big-time Jim Beaver fan. (On Supernatural I think of him as "the cute one.") But Mike O'Malley owned this show. Who knew Curt's dad had it in him? What a cool-handed, despicable character.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 6:17 AM

After seeing Mike O'Malley on so many shows...I was surprised at his vileness in this character. He is so compelling to watch and gives us a bad guy we can loathe but still want to see what he does next. Last week I was happy to see that Boyd was finally one step behind Raylan and this week I loved that we finally get to see just how well he knows Raylan and that's why he's already a step ahead. It's interesting to see these two characters because they are foils of each other so when they are against each other it's hard to tell who to root for and when they have an uneasy alliance it's fun to see if one will double-cross the other.

This show is so well written and paced. I can't believe how each episode this season has built upon the next. They all stand alone quiet nicely but when you put them together it's a masterpiece. This has, by far, been my absolute favorite season with all the different story arches and episodes and this has been my favorite episode. All the "bit" players got a scene or two to draw focus. It showed just how well the show is cast and the chemistry between everyone. I'm also a HUGE Jacob Pitts fan so his phone scene is truly memorable. I will be sad when this season is over but I'll be looking forward to what they have planned for next.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 6:18 AM

Damn, do not fuck with Constable Bob. He will take a beating and then wait for the right moment to STAB YOU.

One thing I love about this show (and especially the Raylan/Boyd relationship) is that it's such an insulated community that people like Augustine can't comprehend that an explanation as simple as "we mined coal together" really DOES explain it all. It's as real a bond as Boy and Colt's (or Colt's and Tim's).

Tim and Colt were hilarious. Gerard Depardieu? Really?

As sweet and cuddly as Mike O'Malley is as Kurt's dad on Glee, he is equally creepy and menacing as Augustine. When he started baiting Ava, I was really hoping that she'd bite his dick off at the very least but I was hoping she would shoot him. I guess that gives me something to hope for next week though, right?

I had a good time picturing Arlo reading a book in front of a whorehouse in Vietnam.

Loved when they actually circled the wagons so quickly. That was some masterful driving. Art and Tim lamenting the lack of an actual cigarette lighter in any of the four cars was great too. "This isn't Sausalito!"

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Mar 20, 2013 @ 6:20 AM.

molshoop

molshoop

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:12 AM

Best single episode I've seen of TV in a long time.

One of the best ever. I'd like the writers of practically every other drama I'm currently watching to view this episode and learn how to do it right. At gunpoint if necessary.

Bentley

Bentley

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:24 AM

So much to love in this episode...

Loved the dig at the position of Kentucky Constable... "Says he's a Constable. Yeah, I don't know what that is either." Bet they know what one is now, bitches.

Loved Boyd's trying to warn Raylan not to shoot because he'd be the one coming through the door first, and Raylan understanding exactly what he meant. That took an awful lot of brass considering how he had just shown up with the bad guys, who wouldn't be there at all if not for Boyd.

Loved Bob taunting his enemy. I agree with an earlier poster that it was probably a lot of ad libs from Patton Oswalt. Loved that he obviously told Raylan the whole story of his torture, including every bad pun he threw at Yolo, and that Raylan was appreciative of what he did. That was probably the highlight of Bob's career. What was the final Drew pun that Yolo said didn't even make sense?

Loved the back and forth of two war veterans recognizing the tactics being used against them.

Loved the Gerard Depardieu comment because I've been thinking for a while now that Ron Eldard as Colt looks like a younger version of Depardieu.

Loved that they created a suspenseful episode where nobody I cared about got seriously hurt. The writers continue the delicate task of placing Boyd in opposition to Raylan without crossing a line he can't come back from.

How exactly did Tim start that fire?

fauntleroy

fauntleroy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:30 AM

Quibble about the TV trope of superhuman resistance to beating by both Boyd and Constable Bob. Especially the latter-- how could you walk after such a session! Near death really, but walking with help next scene. Didn't they show one of Boyd's teeth get knocked out, and bounce to the floor? Gratuitous. He was fine in the next scene, seemed to have forgotten it had even happened.

I think they bothered to show that Constable Bob stabbed Yolo in the inside of the thigh, into the femoral artery. A nice detail which would cause him to bleed out pretty quickly. Raylan said "People underestimate Bob at their peril."

I liked how the henchmen entered the little room, and a shootout did not ensue. And how Boyd just walked out at the end, unconcerned that they might stop him. Killing marshals was "not what he signed up for".

Other TV writers take heed, this is how to write dialog. Even the evil characters had their due, so much so it'll be a pity when presumably more than a few meet their end in the next couple of episodes.

ETA:

Loved the Gerard Depardieu comment because I've been thinking for a while now that Ron Eldard as Colt looks like a younger version of Depardieu.

Yes. In fact I wondered if Eldard styled the character after Depardieu, the sort of hulking, shambling style, right down to the hair. And noting a younger version, because D doesn't look so great anymore.

Edited by fauntleroy, Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:34 AM.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

How exactly did Tim start that fire?

Sparks from putting the jumper cables together. And that does work.

Leroyiscrazy

Leroyiscrazy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:35 AM

I wonder if Shelby could take down Boyd for that season 2 mine robbery and murders? It's not as though he has anything to lose now. And Ava is also an accomplice in that too bc she took the money and covered for him.