The Govenor: Keeping an eye on you

• Please log in to reply

114 replies to this topic

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Nov 29, 2013 @ 11:50 AM

have been incredibly impressed by David Morrissey these past 2 episodes and it's rather poignant in a way to think of what might've been last season.  I think they did an injustice to both his and Laurie Holden's characters.

I wish I had been as impressed by Morrissey because I really was expecting some great things and I was just utterly bored out of my mind. The only scenes I liked were between Martinez and the Governor and then Martinez is dead.  

I actually felt some sympathy for the Governor last season when he was brushing his zombie daughter's hair and being all Jack Torrance in his notebook.  That scene adequately communicated to me that the Governor loved his daughter and was trying to build a community but he went crazy. It seemed like a good way to shorthand that he was probably a decent normal guy once upon a time.  And he went crazy as evidenced by his tank o' zombie heads, his inhuman and inhumane treatment of Glenn and Maggie, his murder of Milton, his crazy zombie gladiator wars and him slaughtering his own people.

We've already seen a group of frightened humans struggling to survive and finding community and leadership in s1 and they did that well enough for me to become invested in that entire core group and that is the story I care about.. We had a crazy leader in Shane but I guess he wasn't as crazy as the Governor. 

I only care about the Governor as an enemy for Rick's group and we completed that last season.  If they wanted to show the Governor becoming the Governor they should have done it in flashback last season. They could have even accomplished that during the Governor's Walk of Loneliness with some flashback memories of him  building Woodbury leading up to the downfall of Woodbury and his being left alone.  I would actually have appreciated that because we could have seen how Milton came to be who he was and why he was willing to experiment and help the Governor,  why Martinez was willing to follow him etc. 

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 1, 2013 @ 10:03 PM

Singing the end of Tool's Eulogy for you, buddy. Peace the heck out!

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 1:37 AM

Ding Dong The Governor is dead.  The douchey creepy governor is dead! Ding Dong the heinous man is dead!

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Do you think the Governor would have spared Hershel if Rick had just given up the prison? Probably not, because he was as crazy as it gets, but I wonder how things would have gone down if Rick had just given him what he wanted.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

How many people did the governor kill in cold blood, have killed in cold blood, or try to kill in cold blood? I think the answer is in there. He had Glenn and Maggie tortured. So as far as I'm concerned, that sword through the heart was completely deserved, full stop.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 10:59 AM

I think he might have spared Hershel, but he would have done horrible things to Michonne. 

This was one of the few episodes where Morrissey had the balance of the Governor just right - there was less of the comic book psycho here, and more of a calm, charismatic malice, slowly boiling over. I wish we'd seen this Governor a long time ago.

I'm glad he's gone, and I'm glad he's gone earlier than I'd expected. 

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 11:30 AM

Another reason I'm glad Michonne stabbed this guy through the heart and then ripped her sword back through is that the show was just abusing the "The Pulse" theme that Bear McCreary came up with. Every 10 minutes it was like whomp whomp whomp. Okay, enough.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 11:54 AM

I think he might have spared Hershel, but he would have done horrible things to Michonne.

Yup. There was no way he was going to let her go. And, saint that he is, I think Hershel would gladly sacrifice himself for Michonne. He seemed proud of Rick in that moment, where he wasn't giving in completely, but was trying to bargain. I feel Hershel knew he had given all he could to this world, but Michonne is still very much needed. I'm glad she got to kill Blinky and not the other way around.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

Yeah, he seemed to genuinely regret killing Herschel but no way would he have let Michonne go.  Was I the only one who went "Hell yeah!" and fist pumped when she skewered him?

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 2:50 PM

Ding Dong The Governor is dead.  The douchey creepy governor is dead! Ding Dong the heinous man is dead!

And yet the Governor will live forever in the folk memory of the ZA.  Whenever a child acts up or won't go to sleep or whatever, some authority figure will say "Behave! Or the Governor will get you!"

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Dec 2, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Yeah, he seemed to genuinely regret killing Herschel but no way would he have let Michonne go.  Was I the only one who went "Hell yeah!" and fist pumped when she skewered him?

I don't think the Governor regrets killing anyone.

Edited by SDcat2009, Dec 2, 2013 @ 2:54 PM.

KermitD.Frog

KermitD.Frog

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2013 @ 3:28 PM

Replying to LesterMoses in the episode thread.

I think this is a central difference dividing people who liked the past 2-3 eisodes and people who didn't (like me). I never for a second thought Brian wanted to embrace his humanity. He was just stunned and lost after losing his leadership role. So all the time it took to get to what was inevitable was a waste for me. Those twp eps could have been skipped entirely, and we could have started with Brain showing up with his gang, with a little exposition.

The Life of Brian detour also had the added effect of removing anticipation for seeing Rick tell Daryl about Carol. Three episodes ago, I was looking forward to it. By this episode, I had forgotten about it. When he did, and Daryl reacted, it was almost like an interruption in the Brian arc.

I really hated these last three eps and bringing back Brian. I am glad his character is finally dead.

This. The only pity this man felt was for himself. Any time he was angry, it was because of something done to him. He was angry at Michonne for the things she did to him, not to Andrea, not to Woodbury, not to Penny. He wanted Penny "alive", not because he felt bad for her, or he thought she was suffering, or he missed her giggle, but because she was his and he wasn't ready to let her go. He's so incredibly selfish that he's willing to cut off his nose to spite his face. He killed Milton, who was probably one of the few remaining people in the world who could have worked to find a cure for the zombie plague, because he was pissed that Milton tattled on him to Andrea about the attack on the prison. He tortured Andrea (A woman he supposedly cared for) and left a dying Milton in the room with her to reanimate because she wanted to tattle on him to Rick about the same attack. He was pissed about losing the fight to Rick and offed his own people. Instead of trying to rebuild Woodbury, he burned it to the ground so no one else would ever benefit from it.  His fugue was not due to remorse, it was shock at having lost the things he felt were rightfully his. He wanted a family, a wife and daughter like the one he had before the ZA, not because he missed it, but because it was once his and he wanted it back. I don't think the prison was his white whale. I think the loyalty and the willingness to sacrifice for each other that the people living in the prison had was what pissed him off. No one had to threaten them or bribe them with gifts - they loved and trusted each other unconditionally (or so it seemed to him). He knew Rick had a good thing going there, and was jealous that the people in the prison were loyal to a fault, willing to risk their lives for each other, and he knew no one in Woodbury would have done that for him (unless out of fear for their own lives). He wanted that, and knew he'd never get it, so he wanted to destroy the people who had it. How could he destroy them? Take their protection away. Threaten them until they leave. Kill off some of them until they're too afraid to fight back. He never cared for the Spongeberries, he just thought of them as a means to an end - more people to shoot at Rick & Co. and scare them off. I think, if he had ever actually gotten control of the prison, he would realize he still wasn't happy, and wouldn't be until he had ended everyone that ever lived at CDB.

Edited by KermitD.Frog, Dec 6, 2013 @ 3:31 PM.

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2013 @ 10:35 PM

Part of why I detested the return of the Governor is there was no longer any reason whatsoever to view him as capable of even partial redemption.  If he had flipped and killed the people who were actually disagreeing with him about returning to attack the prison again, and somehow ended up being exiled as a result, that would at least be a human (if evil) motivation.  Senselessly slaughtering even the people who agreed with him was so unforgivably evil that I really just couldn't give a shit about the character any more.

So I found it utterly eye-rolling that they spent two episodes solely focused on this psychotic asshole, trying to sell us on the idea that he had some redeeming features we should care about.  I don't even remember the people he was with, because I fell half asleep during the episodes.  Of all the unforgivable things a show can do, having a character that makes me fall asleep is probably the worst.

lawless

lawless

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 12:59 AM

I agree that what the show tried to do to create duality in the Governor's character in The Life of Brian eps needed to be done last season, not afterward. If they had been slower last season in revealing the Guvs murderous tendencies, and had played him as less egomaniacal and evil, and more secretly unhinged (like Shane), then it would have worked better. Andrea and Milton would have seemed less gullible, and the Guv would have been more interesting to watch because you wouldn't assume he was going to take the bad villian choice every time. But they didn't really portray him that way last season, and it just wasn't nearly as credible when they tried to do it now. If they show had gone a different way, and he hadn't just reverted to old, evil, ego-driven Phillip, it could have been interesting enough to be worth it. But as it played out, I agree with the posters above that the storyline with the Guv just interrupted the pacing of the storyline about Rick banishing Carol and the reveal to Daryl. That was so anticlimactic, and as noted above, it ended up interrupting the Brian story, though it had become predictable and boring anyway.

My understanding is that the comic book character was more plain and simple a maniacal villian. The show tried to portray that sometimes, but other times tried to give him nuance. But ultimately I don't think that worked. They needed to commit to either an evil sociopath with heads in fish tanks who murdered his own people in a fit of pique, or nixed the heads in fish tanks and played him as very dangerous and perhaps unhinged, but out of more a crazy place than an evil place.

I like the show, and it's good, but I don't think it's great. I know this is based on a comic book, but if they use over the top comic books elements like heads in fish tanks, you get a pretty one dimensional, "comic book" villian. The writers need to think more carefully about what elements of the comics they translate to the show

KirkB

KirkB

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 2:10 PM

It's weird because I think Kirkman recognizes the fact that some thing work in comic books and not real life, but he doesn't seem to know WHICH things. Michonne seems to have translated right, the Governor didn't. I think it might have worked better if they'd made up their minds at the start how the Governor was going to be. They could have done the out and out, comic book villain and run with it, or the more subtle, you don't know for sure how involved he is, oh crap he is nuts reveal. Instead, they did something in between.

JBody

JBody

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 2:52 PM

Yup, I think KirkB has summed up the problem quite succinctly here!  Also think if they had not changed showrunners every season that would have helped them making a decision sooner and sticking with it.  I'm a Darabont fan so I'm still kind of ticked by it all.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2013 @ 4:23 PM

Word to that. I have never read the comics, so I cannot tell how different characters are. But I will say it was quite clear how passionate Darabont was about this story and I think he would have continued being meticulous about the way it was told. I still love the show, but you can tell when the show was his baby, and when it ceased being so.

markiemarkie

markiemarkie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 5:25 AM

Man, I really want to see the Governor reanimated as a walker and have Michonne chop off his head with her katana. Writers, please make this happen! His corpse must still be somewhere on the prison grounds right?

MarryGold

MarryGold

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2014 @ 5:56 AM

Man, I really want to see the Governor reanimated as a walker and have Michonne chop off his head with her katana. Writers, please make this happen! His corpse must still be somewhere on the prison grounds right?

It was shown on-screen, with a bullet hole in the forehead.  I'm hoping that's the last we see of him, opening credits notwithstanding.

JBody

JBody

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 10:24 PM

I liked that shot (pun intended) because it immediately laid to rest the speculation that Lily Shaky Hands missed nailing him in the forehead, which only led to further speculation he somehow survived Michonne's blade through his midsection to live to annoy us another day.  We may be subjected to him in flashbacks but I think they're moving on from the prison arc --where the Governor belongs-- definitively.

S4 Governor was a different breed entirely and imminently watchable.  I can't say the same for the S3 version.

MatildaLou

MatildaLou

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2014 @ 11:51 AM

Is it bothering anyone else that Governor is spelled wrong in the thread title? Or is that on purpose?

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2014 @ 12:59 PM

Well, he wasn't all there upstairs, so it's kind of fitting?

diebartdie

diebartdie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 10:19 PM

He was so deranged it fucked up the spelling......that's my story and Im sticking to it.......

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2014 @ 10:57 PM

I prefer to call him The Guvna - with a cheeky cockney accent.

MatildaLou

MatildaLou

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:25 AM

He was so deranged it fucked up the spelling......that's my story and Im sticking to it.......

Hey, I'm buying what you're selling, no worries!