2-16: "Illumination" 2013.03.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

78 replies to this topic

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Lydia also dead.

When did she die? Last I recall she was recovering in Victoria's mansion and the two of them fighting. I don't remember her actually dying (though she SHOULD have died from that 10 story fall..sheesh!)

Magsi2

Magsi2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

I think we're supposed to believe that Lydia died in the plane crash, but I don't remember if that has been confirmed.

I don't like that Nolan chose to blame Kenny Ryan over just telling Jack the truth. Do they not see that they are doing the same thing to him that was done to David Clark at this point? This ep didn't really do much to improve things in my mind.

Sunkissed

Sunkissed

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

Declan was a confidant and responsibility for Jack and Ashley was a best friend and aid to Emily.

I agree about Declan, but Ashley isn't serving that purpose anymore...or any purpose for that matter this season. At one point it seemed that Conrad had recruited her to be his henchman, but that went nowhere. Then she became Daniel's rebound and, after that ended, I figured we'd see a romantic rivalry between her and Emily for his affections. Instead, despite the fact that she's at the house all the time, Ashley and Daniel never interact.

So now she's Conrad's campaign secretary or something and is reduced to eavesdropping and/or tattletaling (nothing of importance), and then slinking off for the rest of the episode. They need to put her on hiatus or give her something of consequence to do.

Besides the show adding new characters like the budget is burning a hole in their pocket, it's a detriment that characters, like Ashley, who were integral to the main premise, have regressed and gotten lost in all of the side plots.

Edited by Sunkissed, Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:58 AM.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 12:21 PM

The Falcon? Seriously?

My guess is that Amanda was replaced by Eli in order to bring in another person of color to the cast. Padma has proved unpopular and was absent this episode so maybe the writers are easing her out, which means that Ashley was again the sole non-white cast member. Cue the long lost foster brother whom Emily has never mentioned before.

Revenge's problems have nothing to do with diversity and instead of creating a new character, they rehash Fauxmanda's character into yet another person from her past who's going to cause more complications.

The problem is that there are too many characters, some of them serve no important purpose except being a pointless obstacle that can easily be written out and the storylines are ridiculous (The Ryan bros, the Initiative, and now The Falcon).

JBC344

JBC344

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

The problem for me seems to be the writing. I think that they can keep the current cast, not get rid of anybody and just write better storylines for them. Jack has become ten times interesting to me over the last few episodes. I have also liked the Charlotte character this year and her dedication to Amily. I would like to see her become more part of the mystery, even if it is her and Declan doing some snooping on their own. I thought Declan's line about Nolan lying to him would send him on his own goose chase.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 2:43 PM

I think we're supposed to believe that Lydia died in the plane crash, but I don't remember if that has been confirmed.

Oh, right you are- I'd totally forgotten about that.

I don't like that Nolan chose to blame Kenny Ryan over just telling Jack the truth. Do they not see that they are doing the same thing to him that was done to David Clark at this point? This ep didn't really do much to improve things in my mind.

I kind of see why they set Kenny Ryan up though, since Kenny was behind Declan being set up so the two brothers could take over the bar so that was okay with me, in general.

The show has definitely not fished it way out of it's sophomore slump, lets just hope they can get back on track for the last of the season or I doubt we'll see too many more. Shame as this was must see TV and now I dvr it to catch when I can.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

introducing him just as "amanda's brother in law"

This actually didn't bother me. Eli is Amanda's brother so it made sense to me that Charlotte would introduce Declan to him in a way that explains that they are now kind of family with each other too. Obviously they aren't related legally or by blood but they have a connection through Amanda, and if I were either of them I would be glad to know about that. Declan may not have been as close to Fauxmanda as Jack or Charlotte, but if I were Eli and I just found out that my long lost foster sister had died, I would want to know if I were being introduced to her brother in law at a party in her memory (as opposed to some guy) so that I could make a note to talk to him later.

Heh, so if Declan and Charlotte got married, that would make Eli his double brother in law, right? He would be Declan's brother in law through Fauxmanda's marriage to Jack, but since Charlotte and Fauxmanda were (fake) half sisters, then Eli would also be Declan's half brother in law. These soap opera family trees always crack me up.

It also didn't bother me that she was showing Eli around. Again, his sister just died and he hadn't been in touch with her for a long time. I would want to see the world she had been living in. I know that wouldn't bring her back, but I'd want to get a feel for her life and her surroundings from someone who knew her.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 8:13 AM

Nevermind. I realized that I really didn't care. Time to delete the seasons pass from the DVR.

Edited by DashDixon, Mar 20, 2013 @ 8:20 AM.

FineWashables

FineWashables

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

Declan was way off base when he got angry with Charlotte's introduction. They're at Amanda's funeral. Here comes Amanda's foster brother. Charlotte is introducing him to people and explaining their relationships to Amanda. So she introduces Declan as Amanda's brother-in-law. The fact that Charlotte is dating Declan is entirely secondary to her whole purpose in making the introduction.

Having said that, it seems pretty clear to me that Eli and Charlotte are going to take up together -- I wouldn't put it past Eli to get her loaded enough to marry him. Then his fall-guy position in the charity will take on a whole new significance. Can Victoria and Conrad be evil enough to set up their own son-in-law? Yeah, we know where that's going. As for Declan, time for him to commit a crime that gets him sent to prison. Where Eli has connections, doncha know.

Midru

Midru

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 3:34 PM

After this episode. I am starting to wish the show will end. The last four or six eps will be awesome, and I am not interested in whatever treading-water storylines they come up with in the meantime. If the show has a season 3, I want to stop watching.

But having come back to see Amily die, and watching the last two or three eps, I am fully back in it. I ignore anything about the Initiative and Aiden as best I can. I still think the show and characters are compelling. And I am hoping something real happens. How about Evil Daniel against Saucy Jack in some kind of fight to the death?

Like others I miss the old days when Ashley was Amanda's friend and our biggest worry was how Sammy was still standing!

Edited by Midru, Mar 20, 2013 @ 3:38 PM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 2:34 PM

I think of it as trying to remember someone I went to summer camp with one summer twenty years ago. We probably spent everyday together but I could bump into them now and keep on walking.

See, I wouldn't. I would recognize them - maybe not instantly, but context is key. In Jack's case, we're talking about someone who so deeply affected him he never forgot her and even named his boat after her. Flash forward 20 years - some stranger comes to town, lives in Amanda's house, and her old dog runs right up to her, despite the fact that he's usually shy around strangers. And Jack can't recognize her? I call bullshit.

Obviously it's easier to fanwank when Emily VanCamp and Emily Alyn Lind (who plays young Amanda) aren't actually the same person. If they somehow had footage of a nine year old Emily VanCamp I think it would be harder to believe, because the reality is that people's faces don't change that much from youth to adulthood.

Think of it this way - if you obsessively watched Full House when you were little, then 20 years later ran into one of the Olsen twins on the set of the show, you'd recognize them as "Michelle." Their faces have not changed to the extent that you cannot see the resemblance. It should be like that with young Amanda vs. present day Amanda if she made that much of an impression on someone like Jack.

For that reason, I was kind of grateful Eli recognized Amanda on sight. It's just that it contradicted Jack's inability to do so. I guess I have an easier time believing Victoria wouldn't recognize her as she probably never spent much time with her or paid that much attention when she was a kid, but that's not the case with Jack.

Machuran

Machuran

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

After this episode. I am starting to wish the show will end. The last four or six eps will be awesome, and I am not interested in whatever treading-water storylines they come up with in the meantime. If the show has a season 3, I want to stop watching.

But having come back to see Amily die, and watching the last two or three eps, I am fully back in it. I ignore anything about the Initiative and Aiden as best I can. I still think the show and characters are compelling. And I am hoping something real happens. How about Evil Daniel against Saucy Jack in some kind of fight to the death?

Like others I miss the old days when Ashley was Amanda's friend and our biggest worry was how Sammy was still standing!

RIP Sammy.

SomeMeddlingKid

SomeMeddlingKid

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

For that reason, I was kind of grateful Eli recognized Amanda on sight. It's just that it contradicted Jack's inability to do so. I guess I have an easier time believing Victoria wouldn't recognize her as she probably never spent much time with her or paid that much attention when she was a kid, but that's not the case with Jack.

I'm pretty sure that in the scene where Victoria introduces Eli to Emily there is a shot of Eli subtly noticing Emily's infinity tattoo (which he recognized from her drawings). I think that was the lynchpin in Eli's realization about her being Amanda.

The show's timeline around Emily's foster days has gotten muddled- was Emily institutionalized after she was in the foster home with Eli? But then why did she think David was innocent while with Dr Banks? I was always under the impression that Victoria's bribe to Dr Banks was done shortly after David was arrested and was what put Emily in juvie for the rest of her childhood. Introducing a foster home into the mix seems to contradict that.

What exactly was Dr Banks' bribe for? Institutionalizing Emily or making sure that no matter where she went she could never see her father?

Edited by SomeMeddlingKid, Mar 21, 2013 @ 10:18 PM.

erichalias

erichalias

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

I don't get why Nolan used Kenny as his alibi. Wouldn't that just lead to trouble if Jack pursues Kenny for more info?

When Emily told Daniel that he needs to do whatever he can to protect himself, I thought his reaction would be, "Gee, you're not as good a person as I thought you were." Instead, he went along with exactly what she said. He really is easily manipulated. Not that I'm complaining. I liked his character much better in season one, dumbness and all.

In Jack's case, we're talking about someone who so deeply affected him he never forgot her and even named his boat after her. Flash forward 20 years - some stranger comes to town, lives in Amanda's house, and her old dog runs right up to her, despite the fact that he's usually shy around strangers. And Jack can't recognize her? I call bullshit. ...If they somehow had footage of a nine year old Emily VanCamp I think it would be harder to believe, because the reality is that people's faces don't change that much from youth to adulthood.

People can change a lot from 9 to 27; it varies from person to person. At work, we recently had a game where people brought in childhood pictures and we had to guess who's who. Some people looked exactly the same. Some people looked like they changed ethnicities.

I get what you're saying about Jack not remembering someone he cared so deeply about, but it was one summer from childhood. On Facebook, I could barely recognize some of the kids I spent several years with in elementary. Emily's three times older now than when she first met Jack. I don't think it's that big a stretch.

Bringonthedrama

Bringonthedrama

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

A fun moment I noticed was Nolan entering the safehouse, passing Aidan almost dismissively as Emily said goodbye to Aidan. I get the impression maybe Nolan truly sees him as a temporary nuisance. I definitely have the impression Aidan is a temporary character, and the sense that Jack is turning on Emily and Nolan in anger/hurt. Maybe there is the possibility that TPTB will, slowly, work toward Nolan and Emily becoming a couple. In this last episode, it really felt like Emily and Aidan are business partners with some sexual history between them. I also get the impression that if Jack ever finds out the whole truth (i.e. what Nolan knows), he is really going to hate Em ... and no amount of apologizing will *fix* it because she broke his trust despite their 'childhood love.' I could be wrong, but it seems like we are seeing Nolan and Emily brought closer together while the others in their small group (except maybe Charlotte) are being moved away from them via storyline.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 10:20 PM

Maybe there is the possibility that TPTB will, slowly, work toward Nolan and Emily becoming a couple.

Mike Kelley has been adamant that Nolan and Emily will never be a couple as Kelley sees them as siblings. A huge number of fans however, have shipped them since day one due to their amazing chemistry. Gabriel Mann stated that he would like them to get together also; but then again Gabe wants to hook up with everyone on the show :). It should be noted however, that Kelley is known for saying one thing and doing the exact opposite... going back to basics, anyone? Yeah, that was one of the whoppers he told.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2013 @ 1:15 AM

A fun moment I noticed was Nolan entering the safehouse, passing Aidan almost dismissively as Emily said goodbye to Aidan. I get the impression maybe Nolan truly sees him as a temporary nuisance. I definitely have the impression Aidan is a temporary character, and the sense that Jack is turning on Emily and Nolan in anger/hurt. Maybe there is the possibility that TPTB will, slowly, work toward Nolan and Emily becoming a couple. In this last episode, it really felt like Emily and Aidan are business partners with some sexual history between them. I also get the impression that if Jack ever finds out the whole truth (i.e. what Nolan knows), he is really going to hate Em ... and no amount of apologizing will *fix* it because she broke his trust despite their 'childhood love.' I could be wrong, but it seems like we are seeing Nolan and Emily brought closer together while the others in their small group (except maybe Charlotte) are being moved away from them via storyline.

Oooh, you are dangerously close to getting my Nemily shipper heart excited (which Mike Kelley will then proceed to dash into pieces by having Jack/Emily sail off together at the show's end).

But, I must admit that Nolan's snark at Aiden as he walked past them kissing goodbye read total jealousy to me. ; )

Edited by atyleung, Mar 23, 2013 @ 1:18 AM.

Bringonthedrama

Bringonthedrama

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2013 @ 11:36 PM

atyleung, I absolutely think you are correct that his "wax off" comment was one of those moments of Nolan demonstrating jealousy of Aidan. Another was when he said with a grin "so sorry to hear about your break up with Remington Steele" - that there wasn't enough room for both of them at her side ... just before he realized the break up had been staged for Daniel. I also think the "wax off" snark was a dig, because Nolan shows up at Emily's house whenever he wants or needs to, whereas Aiden lives in this safe house, and mostly stays away from Emily's house to keep up appearances that the two aren't seeing each other anymore.

I actually think Daniel is jealous of Nolan and Emily's friendship. I think some of his 'boss' attitude toward Nolan is fueled by jealousy - the first sign was "Why'd you bring him? He's dangerous" when the 3 were at the shooting range during the Mason Treadwell-heavy episode. He knows that Nolan brought Padma to his parents' wedding, so I don't doubt he assumes Nolan is attracted to Ems. Daniel wants to be with Emily but feels he can't be in order to keep her safe ... while Aidan and Nolan are both *around* and care for her.

I guess I should have said I think the writers are laying the groundwork for a potential Nolan-Emily romance down the road, depending on how the storylines with Aidan and Jack turn out.

AudienceofOne

AudienceofOne

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

This show sure has an extremely loyal following of self-proclaimed haters who continue to watch the show every single week

I know. I'm one of them. I have to say this episode has almost nailed it for me in terms of stopping the hate watch and moving on because on top of everything everyone has already stated (Eli being Fauxmanda all over again, the idiocy of the Falcon on top of Carrion), I was bored spitless. I don't think the show is going to improve. I think it's just going to get worse and I'm not sure I care anymore.

One other thing - why are Nolan and Emily so determined to cover up that they were the ones who resuced Jack? I don't get it. There's no reason for it except to facilitate this "Jack Porter furious at them both" plotline.