11-9: "He Said, She Said" 2013.03.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

185 replies to this topic

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 1:20 AM

Flirty or not, young-skewing or not, the major problem with Samantha's dress was that there was nothing refined or expensive-looking about it,

Yes, which is yet another reason I can't fathom why there wasn't more criticism from the judges about it. It looked like it came from the girls' department of Walmart. On the clearance rack. Lord knows Nina is all about feigning shock over something looking inexpensive.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 1:47 AM

While I would have prefered Samantha to stay, I ask myself how much this feeling is based on her pleasing personality and how much is really based on her design abilities. To be honest: There wasn't much she did I really liked. I noted some tast issues concerning her colour schemes earlier on, and it would be a lie to say that her work so far blew me away.
Richard's bathing suit dress was bad too, no question, but at least it met the challenge. Samantha's didn't.

tch285

tch285

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 9:51 AM

I work about 5 blocks from the flagship Lord & Taylor store and have been to several other locations and I can say for sure there is nothing like Samatha's dress in any of them. There really is no dedicated "junior" floor at the flagship - there is a young adult section which is geared toward the post-college crowd -20s to 30s-with brands like Ella Moss, Nanette Lepore, Laundry, French Connection, Free People, etc. and then there are floors for the slightly older more sophisticated crowd, with brands like Polo, DKNY, Hugo Boss, Tahari. The clothes all tend to be more conservative/classy than trendy/cutting edge. Growing up in nyc there is no reason why Samantha wouldn't know that her dress does not fit into that store's image at all. I can't think of anyone who could wear that dress to be honest, but definitely not the Lord & Taylor customer. All through the competition Samantha's personal style has been awesome but her designs have been hit or miss. Definitely like her better than Richard, but she didn't meet the challenge at all. I think it was right to let her go.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

Samantha said that she shopped a lot and Lord & Taylor (which surprised me, honestly, doesn't seem to be her style) so she should know what kind of clothes they sell.

iguessnot

iguessnot

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 8:19 PM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]Samantha said that she shopped a lot and Lord & Taylor (which surprised me, honestly, doesn't seem to be her style) so she should know what kind of clothes they sell. [/font]

She must have been shopping exclusively at the jewelry, cosmetics and perfume counters because she totally missed the fashion climate of the store. Or maybe she was in tow with her mom when she was younger when all this "shopping" took place.. Or most likely she was just exaggerating for her TH.

Edited by iguessnot, Mar 29, 2013 @ 8:20 PM.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

I had to laugh at the mall the other day because there was a young girl (early to mid teens) who was wearing a shirt that had a large heart cut out of the back and it came out looking just like Samantha's. It really didn't look that attractive.