11-3: "Nineteen Chefs Compete" 2013.03.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

fostersmom

fostersmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

I'm sure what you meant was The! Youngest! Contestant! Evah!!!

Oh, yeah. I forgot I was posting about a reality show. My bad! LOL!

toolazy

toolazy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:35 PM

I think Gina was a plant that didn't work out and so she was sent home early. I started thinking she was a plant as soon as she started in with that idiotic puppet.

The weird way that she left makes me think that they fired her precipitously enough that they didn't have enough time to cobble together an actual narrative, so they just showed her bailing.

Or she's an insane lunatic who brought an annoying puppet to a reality show that she bailed on for no apparently reason ("those bitches are mean to me" isn't a reason) before the second episode.

Either way.

My hate hasn't coalesced on anyone yet, but I don't especially like any of them, either. Since I know that the winner is someone I haven't even noticed yet, because they haven't caused any drama in the kitchen or elsewhere, I just can't bring myself to pay that much attention. I never do, this early on.

What has happened is that I lose more respect for Gordon Ramsey with every season of this show. I never believe that anything they show us actually happened quite that way and I believe that there are many things that are scripted - even with the contestants. I have no idea why I keep watching this POS, but watch it I do.

RavensGirl

RavensGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:43 PM

SO glad Gina is gone. I think Mary will be next.

Agree with all the posters' predictions on what will happen in the Jeremy drama although I would also like to suggest the possibility of him getting sent to the women's team since Gina quit. That is what happens with one chef per season although this is really early in the season for that.

I think Zach and Anthony (My Hurt Foot lol) have already banked good will with Gordon. He loves people who fight through illness and pain.

Meanwhile, My Hurt Foot is heading for a Dave comparison in 4,3,2,1...........

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

I'm so glad Gina the egotist left. I wonder if she had a hard time being out of NYC; I work at a hotel and some of the New Yorkers who vacation here (Arizona) are just so uncomfortable because they are not in NYC, we don't have East Coast accents, the scenery is different and some things they expect they don't find here.

I'm a native New Yorker and while it's true that NY is different from most other places, being uncomfortable in other places is what I would consider unsophisticated, and I don't think that was Gina's issue. I just think she was either a plant or a total wacko. I'm leaning toward a plant that didn't work out. A couple of seasons ago I thought Elise was a plant too. She caused a lot of friction on the red team and stayed almost to the end despite being nominated several times to go. Ramsay kept saving her. This time I just think Gina wasn't up to sustaining that level of confrontation all the time and having everyone hate her. She may have realized it wasn't going to work for her. As soon as the puppet came out I had the feeling she wasn't completely for real. Looking back on her strange behavior, I think it makes some sense if she was a plant that had second thoughts about playing the role. Otherwise, her behavior seemed completely off. She could have lied about a mental condition or something, who knows?

Squirrel boy - At first I thought it looked like a dyed mink stole but Mr. Muffaletta thought it looked kind of like the tail of a Davy Crockett hat, and I think he nailed it!

Jeremy - Poor sad sack, all he needs is the Scottish accent and some green face paint and he'd be a ringer for Shrek (I know I'll probably go to hell for that but I think it's true!).

Edited by muffaletta, Mar 20, 2013 @ 11:17 PM.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 7:14 AM

Gina may not be a native new yorker herself. What appears to be her facebook page looks an awful lot like she's from Delaware.

I don't know why anyone would pretend to be from the Bronx to get on television. Brooklyn is way more trendy.

Edited by jmhm, Mar 21, 2013 @ 7:14 AM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

Jeremy - Poor sad sack, all he needs is the Scottish accent and some green face paint and he'd be a ringer for Shrek (I know I'll probably go to hell for that but I think it's true!).

Hee! And no, the rules of getting into heaven clearly exclude any mocking of people who intentionally appeared as a contestant on a reality show.

As a long time viewer of Hell's Kitchen, I am comfortable with admitting that I watched this, and every other, episode on the DVR so that I can speed through the useless stuff and through the top 5% of what is clearly just idiotic name calling outside of the kitchen.

So I of course FF right through the first 2-3 minutes of every episode which does nothing but show me a lengthy recap of the last episode, and I can skip the first minute back from the commercials during the cooking, as that just replays the part that led up the cliffhanger before the commercial.

But in this episode, I chose to FF through the whole Gina thing at the start of the episode. I picked it up from when the military showed up and got to see all of Gina that I needed to see.

Honestly, if I didn't have the ability to skip the crazy-ass conversations these people have with each other after each service, and the almost as crazy "pick two people" discussions, I don't think I could watch this show.

olivia1

olivia1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 11:06 AM

almost as crazy "pick two people" discussions

Exactly.

Why don't they just have each person put the 2 chef's names they think should be up for elimination in a hat, tally the votes,and then the top two get nominated for Ramsey. So simple.

Of course I know why. That would not make for dramatic TV.

Edited by olivia1, Mar 21, 2013 @ 11:07 AM.

twoandthrough

twoandthrough

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

So far I don't really mind any of the contestants, but I'm sure as the pressure of the competition mounts someone will go bat crap crazy....I'm holding on to that hope.

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like to live with CR. Can you imagine being his kids..

CRjr: Look papa, I made you a cookie

CR: What the H&*L is this?! Come here, all of you!!
(all four kids gather to look at the cookie)

CR:Touch that!! TOUCH IT!!!

(kids touch cookie)

CR: Its F@#king hard as a rock! (takes a bite then spits it in the garbage in disgust) You call that a cookie?! You should be F&*ing ashamed of yourself!! Now F%*k off, ALL OF YOU!!

Must be magical....

muffaletta

muffaletta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 1:45 AM

Gina may not be a native new yorker herself. What appears to be her facebook page looks an awful lot like she's from Delaware.

I don't know why anyone would pretend to be from the Bronx to get on television. Brooklyn is way more trendy.

To attempt to add realism to her tough "don't mess with me" demeanor? In the mind of some Tee Vee producer who thinks the Bronx is tougher than Brooklyn and therefore more menacing precisely because it isn't "trendy"? I'm originally from the Bronx myself and she didn't strike me as a native from the get go. The accent isn't right, first of all, and neither is the attitude. Secondly, she would have had the shit beat out of her long ago in the Bronx with that puppet. She might be one of those people who was born there but didn't live there very long, but I don't know if I even would buy that, especially since she lists Wilmington as her hometown. I think this lends even more weight to the theory that she was a plant. She reminds me of Ramona from the first season of "Design Star" who was widely thought to be a plant and curiously was also seen on "Wife Swap". I wouldn't be surprised if we see Gina again on another reality show playing a slightly different role.

Hansey

Hansey

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 5:24 PM

Add me to the list of people that don't yet hate any of these contestants. After the train wreck that was last season, I hadn't actually planned to watch this year at all, but I polled some friends who also watched and they told me it was worth watching, so I just caught up on the first three episodes on Hulu.

Last season I didn't find a single contestant likable. So far there are at least a few that I kinda like (it's still early yet though!) but none that I absolutely abhor. So far I'm not rooting for anyone in particular.

I've seen a lot of comments about this being the "most overweight cast" yet, but I guess I didn't notice because I still have those disgusting images of Kimmie and Clemenza burned into my brain. There may be some overweight chefs on this season, but at least they appear to be *clean*.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2013 @ 11:00 PM

That's pretty funny, twoandthrough. I've seen Ramsay with his kids on his 'F Word' show where he raises some animals in the back yard before killing them. : ) He seems like a regular dad and is very nice with them. That said, I know it is hard to live separate lives like that, especially when it comes to speech. I often wondered if he started calling people 'muppets' because you could say that to your child. Easier to call contestants 'muppets' and let it slip with the kids at home than to call contestants 'mfers' and let that slip when you're ticked off by the kids. : )

WickedTuna

WickedTuna

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 10:08 PM

Good grief. I tuned into the episode a few minutes late and missed Gina quitting and didn't even realize she was gone!!

I watched a couple of times and could not see where HMF landed on his ankle. It looked to me like he landed on his hands and knees. Then they were carrying him around like he'd lost his whole leg or something. It all seemed a little fishy to me.

I really like Ja'nel even if she does have a silly apostrophe in her name. She seems really nice, level-headed, and can actually cook. Gasp. Plus, she doesn't seem to make the eliminations personal. All that said, she's probably going to be the next to go or turn out to be a real bitch. I never seem to back a winner.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Agree with all the posters' predictions on what will happen in the Jeremy drama although I would also like to suggest the possibility of him getting sent to the women's team since Gina quit. That is what happens with one chef per season although this is really early in the season for that.

This is my prediction as well - Jeremy gets moved to the women's team where he talks about a chance to redeem himself and how he'll mesh much better with them. Cut to all the women bitching about getting stuck with slowpoke Jeremy. He brings the red team down, gets nominated but GR sends someone else home.

Malachi

Malachi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:03 AM

It's been bothering me, but I finally figured it out watching this episode. Susan looks like a blond Rumer Willis.