4-17: "Invitation to an Inquest" 2013.03.17

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

54 replies to this topic

randomizer

randomizer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 4:10 PM

I love Robyn. She's been really refreshing so far - a guest character with an actual personality, who seems like a real person! I find her obvious Kalinda hero worship kind of cute and fitting with her (presumed) age of 24-25. That bit at the motel where she was rearranging the flyers was a nice little character thing to do. Far and away the best new character they've had this season, all the other ones -- Maddie, TR Knight, Kristeva, Amanda Peet -- have seemed shallow and one-dimensional to me. (And I'm guessing Kalinda likes her, or at least doesn't mind her, since she didn't so much as glare when Robyn answered her cell phone for her.)

The thing you have to remember about Kalinda is that she has deep respect for work, and for someone who is good at his or her job. That respect trumps everything else, even a knee-jerk dislike or disdain that she might form on first impression. That, after all, is why she initially was attracted to Alicia. At the beginning of the pilot, Kalinda judged Alicia quickly and harshly, clearly with no plans to like her. By the end, she was impressed with the clever way Alicia won her first case. The mutual respect that Alicia and Kalinda had for each other professionally fueled their friendship, and I think Kalinda has the same sort of despite-herself respect for Robyn: the fact that Robyn is smart and competent makes all the difference in the world to Kalinda.

As far as the development of the character goes,, I think it's pretty clear that Robyn is an actual character that we'll be seeing next season, whereas Maddie, Jordan, and Laura are all (I believe) one-off plot devices. That's why we're seeing more depth to her. I agree that she's a good addition to the mix, and I like seeing her work with Kalinda. Good visual contrast physically, and good character contrast in general.

EEM65

EEM65

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

I wasn't really paying attention to this episode. I'll have to watch it again. However, I liked Kalinda's partnership with Robyn. They clicked.

Edited by EEM65, Mar 18, 2013 @ 4:27 PM.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

I don't mind when Kalinda is badass, but I think it's lazy writing to have her whisper in the guy's ear and never show us what she told him. I assumed it was something about his truck having violations, too, but why couldn't she say that out loud? That whole thing was super-annoying to me.

Not knowing what she said exactly is what made that work. If we heard the threat, we might think that it wasn't very threatning or such. It's the not knowing that leaves us intrigued.

I disagree - it didn't leave me intrigued at all, because "whispered threat that makes someone fall into line" is a pretty tired trope. It worked with Bishop's enforcer last week because we actually heard what he said to some of them ("your kids are cute") and because we knew he had the potential to be scary because he was Bishop's guy. Kalinda hasn't been shown to make threats terribly often - she tends to pop a button, make up a story, be friendly to people and win their trust, etc. Which I always liked because it was a more realistic way for a tiny person to get information. Of course, this is a different context, since she's not flying solo and he was being rude to Robin, but it still felt like a cheap writing move.

According to what I read, the Office of the Coroner of Cook County was abolished in 1976 and replaced by the Office of the Medical Examiner of Cook County. So I don't understand why the coroner was upset with Peter. This inquest must have been taking place in another county. That's the trouble with TV shows: they just make things up.

I think the problem with this TV show is that it can't decide when and whether to make things up. I'm fine with them making up a Fake Cook County except that they do it kind of half-assed, making up things where they please and then also name-dropping real life people and events like Rahm Emanuel or Obama's first debate performance.

I think it's pretty clear that Robyn is an actual character that we'll be seeing next season, whereas Maddie, Jordan, and Laura are all (I believe) one-off plot devices. That's why we're seeing more depth to her.

Right, but they haven't been one-off, they've all appeared in multiple episodes this season. Robyn seemed like a real human being when we first met her in that interview, but (IMO) the same still can't be said for any of the others. Maddie and Jordan at least were meant to influence our feelings in some way, they were meant to make us want Peter to win, to root for Eli, etc. Most guest characters will be plot devices to a degree, but good writing can disguise that or at least make us not care, because they're still interesting to watch. If they had fleshed out Maddie a bit more it would have, at least for me, made the primary section of the race more interesting because I would have actually cared about the outcome.

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

I was annoyed by Alicia's patronizing tone when Robyn was telling her the results of their investigation. She was acting like Robyn was saying something stupid, when in fact Robyn was giving her good information. I suppose you could blame it on Robyn's demeanor and age that she doesn't command respect, but that doesn't excuse Alicia for talking down to her.

Myos

Myos

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 6:17 PM

If they had fleshed out Maddie a bit more it would have, at least for me, made the primary section of the race more interesting because I would have actually cared about the outcome.

I totally agree. Overall I wish this season had been the primary and next season the governor's campaign. Unless time zips by and each episode we're suddenly 3 months later, it's not realistic to think the campaign for governor would start around March 17 and would be over on April 29 (last episode of the season) or roughly six weeks to two months later. I actually hope we get to see more of Maddie, and as a real person, not as a plot device.

Regarding Cook County not having a coroner:
The inquest took place in Lake County. In fact the decisive element was that the SUV was stopped for speeding (or somesuch) 2 miles down the road, but because it was in Cook County no one had connected the dots with what had happened in Lake County.

that doesn't excuse Alicia for talking down to her

I took that to mean "don't you think you can replace Kalinda" :) i.e Alicia being fiercely loyal as usual.

Edited by Myos, Mar 18, 2013 @ 6:20 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

Regarding Cook County not having a coroner:
The inquest took place in Lake County. In fact the decisive element was that the SUV was stopped for speeding (or somesuch) 2 miles down the road, but because it was in Cook County no one had connected the dots with what had happened in Lake County.

That's correct. There was a sign in the hallway behind the opposing lawyer in the opening scenes that said Lake County, and all the patches the coroner, EMT and cop were wearing also had Lake County on them. I'm assuming that this coroner would note the fact of the abolishment of the Cook County's coroner office since they are neighboring counties and coroners have their own association, etc. There are no requirements to be a coroner (other than to win the election); however, to be a medical examiner (as Cook County has) one must be a medical doctor. I think the Lake County guy was just showing his feathers had been ruffled by switch in the neighboring county.

Edited by pennben, Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:21 PM.

randomizer

randomizer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 7:17 PM

I was annoyed by Alicia's patronizing tone when Robyn was telling her the results of their investigation. She was acting like Robyn was saying something stupid, when in fact Robyn was giving her good information. I suppose you could blame it on Robyn's demeanor and age that she doesn't command respect, but that doesn't excuse Alicia for talking down to her.

I agree, and this is consistent with Alicia's personality from the beginning (it's one of the things that I really dislike about her). Again and again, we've seen her adopt that same patronizing, impatient tone with her assistants or anyone beneath her in rank. She did it in season one with Courtney, and it's the reason why Courtney decided to share information about the Cary/Alicia competition with Cary rather than with Alicia when she worked with both of them. She did it in season two when Natalie Flores (played by America Ferrera) called her to try to tell her about the critical mistranslation in the brief. She did it over and over last season with Caitlin. And the writers even emphasized it this season in "Boom De Ya Da," when Alicia didn't even know the name of the poor court reporter who had also been trapped with them for days on end. It's a bit of a disconnect, because we also see her being very kind and sympathetic to her clients, but there's no doubt that she's fairly awful to the people who work under her. Cary and Will are both affable to their underlings, but Alicia is anything but.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 8:44 PM

I think the Lake County guy was just showing his feathers had been ruffled by switch in the neighboring county

I can't see any experienced coroner or judge for that matter making a comment that could lead to any decision you make being challenged for bias.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:13 PM

I can't see any experienced coroner or judge for that matter making a comment that could lead to any decision you make being challenged for bias.

Yet, the evidence we saw in the episode shows that he indeed showed no bias against her client. Perhaps if she lost, they could challenge based on that statement, but his actions don't support the allegation.

Lots of judges have noted her relationship with Peter throughout the show. Sure, that means that you can allege bias, either in favor or against her clients because of the relationship, but it doesn't necessarily make it true. Any more than judges will rule in favor of Will because they play basketball together.

Edited by pennben, Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:25 PM.

rerunz

rerunz

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:21 PM

It just seems unlikely that a big-time firm with major corporate clients could or would take clients and cases like that, let alone having a name partner on them. I can understand it being a friend of Will's through basketball and having that justification but it's just an oft-used trick to get in these unlikely clients and cases.

Maybe it's that I am from Chicago, but it made sense to me. They were helping out a judge's widow. Even beyond the basketball friendship, it's something you do out of professional courtesy. Also Will wasn't in from the start, it was only Alicia. The widow went out and called him when she first got nailed with the three questions rule.

randomizer

randomizer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

Lockhart Gardner is a full service law firm, and that's what full service firms do--they provide every legal service their clients need, from taxes to murder. And I agree, helping out a prominent judge's widow is completely in line with what I'd expect from a firm of L-G's stature

Sydneyside

Sydneyside

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 5:33 AM

The sodium-vapor lights are not like other light bulbs. As they get older, the light get pinker but they also get dimmer and dimmer. I worked in an office that had them for lighting and although we never replaced a light bulb because it was out, we replaced it when the room was so pink we couldn't take it any more, when the new bulb went in the difference in brightness was astounding. So going from a section of road with LED bright crisp lighting to an stretch with an older sodium-vapor light would be a real problem.

I don't know what's used in your office (high-pressure sodium "white SON" lamps perhaps) but the low-pressure sodium lamps used tor street lighting only come in yellow, and other reason besides energy efficiency that they are used in this application is that they are unique in not declining in lumen output as they age and fail unlike other lamp types.

They are being replaced with 'white' lighting in many situations because it has been decided that colour-rendering *is* important for safety and for aesthetic reasons. But they are not 'incandescent' lighting as stated on the show. And they aren't less bright either.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 7:37 AM

I think it's three per legal team per witness, the latter being an important point that the coroner didn't spell out.

I just wish they had done a better job spelling out the timeline. I mean it seemed like the accident was relatively recent (if not the actual night of the primary) because the skid marks were still on the road when Kalinda and Robyn were looking around. But they had already done the autopsy, including the toxicology and were into the inquest before the results of the primary were even decided. I thought toxicology tests took weeks if not months?

Plus I really don't get why it was decided that the insurance company had to settle. They paid out the full amount, and it is not like they were responsible for the judge's death so why would they be worried about going to a trial?

Edited by Kel Varnsen, Mar 19, 2013 @ 9:58 AM.

cmh1981

cmh1981

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:44 AM

Plus I really don't get why it was decided that the insurance company had to settle. They paid out the full amount, and it is not like they were responsible for the judge's death so why would they be worried about going to a trial?

I think if it went to trial, a jury might feel that the insurance company was in essence being a dick and reward a bigger payout due to the hassel of the wife trying to get what she was rightly owed.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

Seemed like there was an additional accidental death benefit coming into play. Was confusing.

photo fox

photo fox

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:55 AM

That's my recollection as well, romantic idiot. If it was ruled accidental, they had to pay double.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 3:14 PM

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around what this policy must have provided:

2 million if he dies, but double if its an accident, no payout if he committed suicide or was reckless/grossly negligent. So how does only 2 million get paid under 'normal' circumstances? If he's murdered? Dies of 'natural causes?

MonaLavender

MonaLavender

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 5:10 PM

So how does only 2 million get paid under 'normal' circumstances? If he's murdered? Dies of 'natural causes?

Sounds right to me.

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 6:17 PM

Seemed like there was an additional accidental death benefit coming into play. Was confusing.

Yes, didn't they say an accidental death would normally pay double? I found the whole coroner S/L confusing and not that interesting. And you knew when the blonde wife of the judge's friend walked into the kitchen when Kalinda and Robyn were interviewing him, that she was the mistress.

Love Robyn! I can't remember any new character that I have liked right away - kudos to the writers and the actor playing her. I hope she gets lots of screen time - and on her own.

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Mar 20, 2013 @ 9:40 PM.

exzim

exzim

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

So how does only 2 million get paid under 'normal' circumstances? If he's murdered? Dies of 'natural causes?

Yes, if he dies of a heart attack, stroke, cancer or any other disease. Accident would be getting T-boned by a drunk, a plane crash, - although I think there are other rules about aircraft deaths. Some insurance policies pay up to 5 times the face amount for accidental death.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 11:15 PM

don't know what's used in your office (high-pressure sodium "white SON" lamps perhaps) but the low-pressure sodium lamps used tor street lighting only come in yellow, and other reason besides energy efficiency that they are used in this application is that they are unique in not declining in lumen output as they age and fail unlike other lamp types.

On my street they are pink and dim. Perhaps they are older or some other factor is going on, but where I live I can tell that the streetlights are old and need replaced by the color and the lack of light. Actually, in my area, they do go out before anyone replaces them. In any case, in my town, moving to a sodium lit area would produce less light.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 7:24 AM

I was annoyed by Alicia's patronizing tone when Robyn was telling her the results of their investigation. She was acting like Robyn was saying something stupid, when in fact Robyn was giving her good information. I suppose you could blame it on Robyn's demeanor and age

I understand that the writers are showing us a pattern of Alicia's dismissive tone with underlings, but I also think that Robyn (like many peripheral characters in this show, including most of the judges and this week's coroner) comes across as a "type" rather than a person, so it's difficult to judge how Alicia or anyone "should" interact with her.

As to LG "helping" the judge's widow, I'm sure she'll be billed at their customary hourly rates. :-)

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 7:46 AM

2 million if he dies, but double if its an accident, no payout if he committed suicide or was reckless/grossly negligent. So how does only 2 million get paid under 'normal' circumstances? If he's murdered? Dies of 'natural causes?

So if the coroner ruled that someone else caused the accident, and they had evidence to prove it, what reason wouldn't the judge's wife try to get the full 4 million? Why accept the settlement?

MonaLavender

MonaLavender

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2013 @ 3:20 PM

So if the coroner ruled that someone else caused the accident, and they had evidence to prove it, what reason wouldn't the judge's wife try to get the full 4 million? Why accept the settlement?

Because the coroner could also have still ruled that the man died due to his own negligence. In which case, the wife would get nothing. By extending the $2-million offer, now, the insurance company was hedging their bets against the coroner ruling "accidental death". For her part, by accepting the check, she was protecting herself against the possibility of getting nothing.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2013 @ 2:37 AM

Well played Eli. He knew the kids were Alicia's berserk button. Of course, Alicia figured out what he was doing.

Its probably one of the best bits that Alicia knew Eli had to be part of this. But I think the implication was that she didn't quite understand exactly how or why. Nor cared. She just knew that something sneaky was going on, and that ultimately Eli at least KNOWS everything sneaky is going on, whether or not he actually was responsible for it.

Short answer here was he wanted revenge b/c he felt screwed out of a job by his son, and he wanted payback.

I agree that was his play, but it was a pretty weak one. He should have known it wouldn't have worked anyway, because Cary pretty clearly communicated to Diane, via his expression, that this new business had been news to him. So the loss of it, in the way it happened, only tarnished Cary indirectly, not directly. It might have dented Cary's chances for advancement, but it never would have gotten him fired (especially since the firm is back in a condition where they don't need to fire people to cover their bottom line).