S11 - Patricia Michaels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

48 replies to this topic

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

I could totally see the graffiti and bill-posting idea in Patricia's design. I don't think that it was immediately reminiscent of Paris, but that is what she saw there and that is what inspired her.

Nina came off as the idiot in their exchange. It was perfectly fine for her to not like the aesthetic of the design. But she also had this snooty superior "there was nothing of Paris" argument, which was totally untrue. Maybe it wasn't NINA'S version of Paris, but it certainly was A legit version of Paris.

I wonder if she'd had Berlin and done a similar design (after seeing the artwork on the Berlin Wall), if Nina would have reacted with the same tunnelvision. The stuff on the wall in part of the cliched obvious image of Berlin, so Nina would have "known" that Berlin. But she doesn't "know" that aspect of Paris.

geeweeze

geeweeze

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

But I think this is where Patricia fails - she puts everything into the textile, and the design is an afterthought. A legit version of Paris? That is true, in that she did take her inspiration from what she saw in Paris. I know for myself when I think Paris, layered paper mache graffiti doesn't quickly come to mind. And no one is expecting her to make an Eiffel Tower dress, or make something romantic and flouncy. But it is almost as if Patricia's own view of Paris was fairly tunnel-visioned as well, that to avoid the cliche, she had to go this random, non-evocative textile route. She could have incorporated the textile into a better silhouette - something chicer, a little more elegant. In this way the clean, refined silhouette and the unexpected textile would have created a very nice contract. But other than the textile that resonated with her, the outfit communicated very little, and as a result her vision did not translate. And translating her vision effectively is Patricia's problem. Some say Michelle is often too enamored of her own aesthetic or idea, but I think the same could be said of Patricia. Perhaps more so, because Patricia sacrifices design to achieve her textile. The sleeves on that garment were stiff, crafty and awful - and yet Patricia seemed to love them just b/c they were novel. I think that shows a certain lack of discernment that works against her.

Edited by geeweeze, Apr 16, 2013 @ 5:02 AM.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

• Interests:Music--Mandolin
    History
    Vegetarian Cuisine

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 8:26 PM

She did take her inspiration from what she saw in Paris. I know for myself when I think Paris, layered paper mache graffiti doesn't quickly come to mind. And no one is expecting her to make an Eiffel Tower dress, or make something romantic and flouncy. It is almost as if Patricia's own view of Paris was fairly tunnel-visioned as well, that to avoid the cliche, she had to go this random, non-evocative textile route.

The way that Patricia's inspiration was presented seemed very disjointed to me. She was talking about graffiti, but the camera kept looking at various memorials and images concerning the Situationists and the May '68 Riots. It made it seem as if those images were what was inspiring Patricia, but that wasn't reflected in her work. She may not have even known about those movements and events.

ETA: I bet Michelle would have known what the pictures meant.

Edited by Bad Thoughts, Apr 14, 2013 @ 8:25 PM.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

The whole thing with the graffitti was more or less the same thing which inspired her for the Arts challange. Layers over layers. Apparenty the worls is full of it.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2013 @ 1:12 PM

Maybe Patricia's layered fabrics read better close up - certainly, on my TV, the latest fabric looked like cotton wadding with a few flecks of color in it. I get her idea but I don't see the execution.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

I looked Patricia up...and apparently, she has a lot more experience than the show lets on. Apparently she worked for a designer in Milan for a time, and she also has shown her work at the fashion week in the past...here is an article about her:

http://www.examiner....chaels-exposure

What confuses me: Did she leave New York at one point or was the "home visit" staged in order to show off a little bit of Taos?

Edited by Sayaka, Apr 19, 2013 @ 10:17 AM.

machinerageson

machinerageson

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 4:20 PM

It's surprising to me to hear that Patricia has shown as Fashion Week before appearing on Project Runway. She is very innovative when it comes to manipulating textiles, but when it gets down to the actual design of clothes she seems to flounder a bit. Pieces from her Fall 2010 collection are pulled together, and her vision and inspiration are very clear to me. Maybe it's the time constraints that are making all the difference?

Patricia Michaels Fall 2010

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2013 @ 6:19 PM

I think it's very hard to tell from the pictures...but isn't that the arrow print AGAIN? Bad enough that she had that in her portfolio, but showing it twice at the fashion show looks very unprofessional to me. And another coat which will bind the arms to the body of the one wearing it. And the frayed hems....did she evolve at all in the last years?
I'm more and more convinced that her creativity is overrated. She seems to do the same stuff over and over again. She is basically another Daniel, only that his stuff is actually wearable.

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2013 @ 5:56 PM

I will try to articulate how I feel about Patricia. I was intrigued most by her from the start. Her textile design was the most interesting and visually pleasing to me, even as someone who wears jeans and t-shirts on a daily basis. (Fashion-y, I'm not; I know what I find lovely and what I don't.) I find her things complex yet simple at the same time, and that isn't easy.

I've been extremely bothered by what I've felt are racist comments about her "need" to express her heritage, as if that's a bad thing. I thought designers are supposed to have a point of view. This is what the fashion industry still thinks Native Americans look like (which, No. Words.), so I'm proud of her for showing a modern take on her heritage and primary influences.

She's had some missteps, but all of the designers have. With the time constraints and pressure they are under, it's expected they wouldn't turn out perfection at all, if ever. I know I wouldn't last a day.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:08 AM

It's surprising to me to hear that Patricia has shown as Fashion Week before appearing on Project Runway.

I wonder if Patricia and Nina have some history. Nina over the years has often shown a sharp tongue, but she's been outright viscous when it comes to Patricia. Admittedly Patricia has shown a few real stinkers, but its actually some of Patricia's BETTER stuff I think where Nina's been the most dismissive, the most viscous about an aesthetic that's legit, just not Nina's, etc.

The problem of course is that Nina has the most effective power of all of the judges (short of Joanna Coles showing up in the finale as a surprise judge). The others might fight Nina to the extent of getting Patricia a fashion week show, but in terms of what actually goes in the magazine? If Nina hates it... would it ever really show up?

Edited by Kromm, Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:32 PM.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:36 AM

If there were a history, I think Nina would have said something earlier. She had no problems with Patricia being in the top towards the start of the competition, when her work showed at least some potential and merits.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Apr 24, 2013 @ 8:57 PM

After watching the first part of the finale, and listening to Tim talk about Patricia using Native techniques and silhouettes with a modern twist, I started thinking about her avant garde look again. It's not Patricia's tribal group, but the look had reminded me of something that I couldn't put my finger on it. Eventually, I realized it has the basic form of an Apache camp dress. I grew up near the San Carlos Apache Reservation in Arizona, and the women still wore these on a regular basis in the 1970s and 1980s. The dresses are usually tiered--either two or three tiers, including the top--and have a long, flowing skirt.

As for Nina and Patricia, I don't think Nina had a problem with Patricia being in the top group early on because it wasn't so much about individuals then. It was about which large group of people was better than which other large group of people. Frankly, I've never really warmed to Nina. Now, I actively despise her. She's been flat-out nasty to Patricia.

pixelpaintr

pixelpaintr

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Flash animation, graphic design, painting with acrylic, pastel and mixed-media, sci-fi, Yoga, gardening

Posted Apr 25, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Frankly, I've never really warmed to Nina. Now, I actively despise her. She's been flat-out nasty to Patricia.

I have to agree with you on all counts. It seemed like Nina was insulted that the other judges liked Patricia's collection and were clearly excited by it. The editors made a point to show her face and her body language as she ignored the conversation. She just looked so snobby as if this woman wasn't worth her time to even comment.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2013 @ 3:49 AM

I disagree...I think the other judges were more excited by what they hoped Patricia would be than by what she actually was. Nina is nobody who allows herself to get razzle dazzled easily, she takes in the whole look and saw the problems with Patricia's work clearly.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:07 AM

I think the other judges were more excited by what they hoped Patricia would be than by what she actually was. Nina is nobody who allows herself to get razzle dazzled easily, she takes in the whole look and saw the problems with Patricia's work clearly.

Exactly. I felt that very little of the effusive praise being heaped on Patricia by Heidi, Zac and Michael was actually merited by Patricia's collection. I find the idea that Nina's criticism of Patricia is "racist", or that she has some personal vendetta against Patricia, to be way off the mark. If there is such a thing as Project Runway's mission statement, I think Nina was the only judge who was keeping it in mind with regard to choosing the winner. To me the other judges' advocacy of Patricia felt a bit like hollow posturing in service of a script. It may have made for an interesting discussion about where fashion is going, but I didn't buy for a second that MK and ZP really thought Patricia was a more worthy winner than Michelle (Heidi, on the other hand...)

I think on the most basic level, Nina isn't interested in rewarding clothes that don't look good, and in her opinion Patricia's clothes mostly don't look good. With which opinion I would have to agree. Patricia is really doing herself a big disservice by not learning how to become a better designer. I don't even think her textile designs are particularly special, but that may have to do with with the fact that they are not at all effectively showcased by her garments' lack of design conception. IMO if she is not going to seriously study design and improve herself, she should stick to just creating textiles, and work with a designer who will know how to make the best use of them.

Edited by azzurro, Jul 24, 2013 @ 4:51 PM.

dialyn

dialyn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

I think the other judges were more excited by what they hoped Patricia would be than by what she actually was. Nina is nobody who allows herself to get razzle dazzled easily, she takes in the whole look and saw the problems with Patricia's work clearly.

I've felt that about Patricia for some time. She seems to have been pushed forward because of something not showing on the runway. But the proof will be now. Each of the designers have an opportunity to go forward with or without the win.

Oops...I forgot which forum I was in. edited to delete extraneous comments.

Doesn't look like anyone has to worry about what Patricia will be doing.

Michaels’ longtime assistant, Amber Gunn Gauthier, said the duo already are working on a line that they’ll debut at New York Fashion Week in September, aided by support from Thursday’s fundraiser. Posen has asked Michaels to collaborate with him on a textile project. Her work will also be the subject of a retrospective curated by the Smithsonian. Just this week, she turned away people who wanted to take her textile-making class at the POEH Center in Pojoaque. And she’s she has several other projects that are still in the secrecy stage. http://www.santafene...bbce0a95a4.html

Edited by dialyn, Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:17 AM.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

Zac Posen is taking Patricia under his wing? Fuck. Yes! I am ecstatic about this...

Edited by nicenessness, Apr 27, 2013 @ 6:38 PM.

azzurro

azzurro

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:04 PM

As I said in my previous post:

(Patricia) should stick to just creating textiles, and work with a designer who will know how to make the best use of them.

It looks like she is doing just that.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 1:49 AM

If Zac manages to work with her, all power for them. He seemed to be really fascinated by the "creating something from earth" concept, I can see him coming up with something truly beautiful and stunning by using her art.