The Call (2013)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

When veteran 911 operator, Jordan, takes a life-altering call from a teenage girl who has just been abducted, she realizes that she must confront a killer from her past in order to save the girl's life.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

It was pretty good until the final third when it turned into a "Silence of the Lambs" ripoff.

frogzapper

frogzapper

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 2:59 PM

It was pretty good until the final third when it turned into a "Silence of the Lambs" ripoff.

That was the same reaction I had when I watched it. The last 20 minutes or so kind of ruined the movie for me while I kept thinking of how stupid Jordan was being. Up until that point I thought it was a pretty good thriller.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2013 @ 7:12 PM

I think the last 20 seconds redeemed the last 20 minutes. But that last third oh my, I guess that is what happens when a street  patrol cop is the lead invesitgator in an Amber alert kidnapping and multiple homicide. A sergeant much less a detective didn't even show up

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

Yeah, it was all working for me until the police left the empty house without really searching.  I'm thinking "don't tell me she's gonna find something pretty obvious they missed" - yup - "seriously she dropped her cell phone?"  Why doesn't anyone close doors??

I was already distracted thinking that the family took pictures of the daughter in her last stages of cancer; in some of those she appreared dead.  So crazy guy was looking for his sister's hair?  The first girl he killed I thought was found with a full head of hair. 

Even the ending didn't work for me - I just fanwanked that they were messing with him & did tell  the cops were he was because I would think the cavern would be found somewhat quickly and Jordan's fingerprints were all around there.

Morris Chestnut and Halle Berry both looked very pretty anyway.

Edited by Kolaka, Jul 6, 2013 @ 5:22 PM.

Calvada

Calvada

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

I agree - the last third of the movie was totally implausible.  All I could think of were the other victims' families.  Would they know this guy killed their family member?  Would he even be linked to their murders without the evidence underground?

Also unbelievable that only one squad car responds to a kidnapping in progress.  And the LAPD apparently have the slowest helicopter ever - takes about 30 minutes to fly a couple miles.  And finally, what a bunch of idiots those cops were.  Oh, she's not in the house, so let's ignore the acres and acres of land around the house.  How about bringing in a dog to follow the scent from the car?